PDA

View Full Version : 88 Plymouth Sundance Tranny Problems

Damasterlordg
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a 88 Plymouth Sundance. When I was going down the road it just seemed to pop out of gear and over reved. Now it won't move. I still have to engage the clutch to put into and take out of gear. However when I go to push it into gear without the clutch it will rock the car. I have jacked the car up one wheel at a time and turned them while the car is in gear and it seems to move the transmission rocking it, they will turn completely either side was hoping for free spin due to a CV boot but no luck. Any ideas.

raccoon
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
differential blew up is my bet.

can you jack up both wheels and turn one.

Damasterlordg
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
The week before it stopped moving, I would have to rev the hell outta it to get it to move then it would slowly start to roll. The day it went completly out I had no trouble the car would take off like it was brand new. Drove it most the day like that then went out.

Damasterlordg
02-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Going to try jacking it completely up tomorrow.

Vigo
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I dont see how it can be differential related without a TON of noise.

I think it is probably just a failed clutch. Anything else would have noise either when it broke, or when parts were turning in the trans.

A parts store clutch kit is pretty cheap and the transmission is a fairly easy one to r&r. If you are interested in fixing it and need help we can walk you through it.

When you have both front wheels in the air, put it in gear and let the clutch out and see if the wheels turn at all. If they do, but the car doesnt move on the ground, you have a completely toasted clutch.

However, when you say the week before you would have to rev the hell out of it to get it to move.. this is with the clutch out in 1st? or while you were letting the clutch out? What i mean is, did it feel like the car was dragging like a brake was stuck on when you let the clutch out? Or did it feel like letting the clutch out wasnt doing anything?

Damasterlordg
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
It was during as I let the clutch out it wouldn't move unless I reved it really high. If I remember right I could let the clutch out without giving it gas and it wouldn't die but wouldn't really move.

fleckster
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I would see if you have a clutch that has come apart and has a piece wedged in the pressure plate or possibly a broken pressure plate that is keeping pressure on the clutch without the pedal being pressed. This could be why it is popping out of gear. I have seen that before.

Damasterlordg
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
It doesn't pop out of gear, thats just what it sounded like when I lost contact somewhere when it over reved. It just poped like it went out of gear.

shackwrrr
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
definitely probably most likely maybe a clutch

moparman76_69
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Went and picked this car up Sat. Jacked it up Sunday to make sure its the clutch and it is def. toasted. I'll get it changed out this coming weekend.

raccoon
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
awesome. what are you doing to it?

moparman76_69
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm going to fix the clutch and drive it.