PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Shelby Charger Power Loss Problem

phishfi
02-23-2010, 04:56 PM
First off, I'd like to say hello to everyone. This is my first post on turbo-mopar, although I've been posting on turbododge for about a month now. I can't wait to get my '85 Shelby Charger up to show quality (which is will be by the end of the year). My wife owns an '86 Daytona with the C/S Package, and we should be adding an '87 Shelby Charger to the "family" before October.

At first I thought this issue wasn't something common. What happens is whenever I give the car a lot of gas the entire engine drops power and the power loss light blinks. If I ignore the issue then the car revs from about 2500 to 3000 rpm and keeps accelling and then dropping again. I posted a video on youtube (titled 1985 Shelby Charger Engine Issue by username nicolasfinn). In any case, I was wondering if you guys might know what it is. It's obviously not the transmission slipping, because it's affecting the engine's rpms more than anything else. Occasionally this issue doesn't happen, which I've found in the last week or so. One person has told me that he thinks there is a fuel system issue going on with the car, so I'm going to start by replacing my fuel filter, and then look more in depth into that possibility. The other possibility is an air intake leak. While I don't think it's anywhere in the vacuum lines, is there any easy way to find an air leak?

Skligmund
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Fuel pump?

Skligmund
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
just watched the video, hmmmm.

What is funny is my 85 Turismo (carbed) pretty much does that too.

Can the waste gate cause this?

Turbodave
02-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. I didn't watch the video, but have a few things to check.

First see if it's got any fault codes stored: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html

It could very well be a fuel pressure issue, something like a clogged filter, not difficult or expensive to replace and if you don't know when it was last done it's not a bad idea.

How long has it been since a general tune up with plugs, wires, etc?

Also, my favorite nemesis on my L-bodies seems to be the plug going into the logic module behind the passenger side kick-panel. Moisture gets back there and corrodes the connectors causing lots of weird issues.

Check these things out and let us know what you find.

BadAssPerformance
02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Weldome to T-M.com :thumb: