PDA

View Full Version : DOHC head questions (neon and something else)

dalek
02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I saw a 1996 and a 1999 Neon with the DOHC engines in a junkyard. Which one would be the best head to get? Also, how hard is it to get it? A quick glance made me think the hardest part (comparatively speaking) would be to unbolt the downpipe from the exhaust manifold. Then it is just a matter of unbolting the intake, cutting the belt, removing head bolts, and yanking it out. Am I missing anything?

Which head size/type (hex/torx/Salvador Dali) head bolts are used?

Now, I saw another Dodge that had a 2.0L DOHC head that looked similar to the Neon one with the small exception the exhaust was on the front and the intake on the rear. Can anyone tell me more about it? How would it compare to the Neon heads?

contraption22
02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
The 1995-2000 DOHC are essentially the same, except for the ones that came in Avengers and DSM's, which as you stated, has the flow reversed with the exhaust manifold in the front.

dodgeshadowchik
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Either one (96 or 99) would be fine to snag, as long as the timing belt didn't break. Those are interference engines.

t3rse
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
The reverse flow head is known as a 420a. I don't remember the exact size, but the head bolts are genero metric.

dalek
02-23-2010, 01:31 PM
dodgeshadowchik, the 99 does not have the belt on it, so I do not know if it got hurt. I guess I will have to pull the head and inspect for piston damage and bent valves. Good thing the 96 is just sitting besides it. :D

t3rse, the location of intake and exhaust sides notwithstanding, can I exchange parts (cams come to mind) between the 420a and the normal Neon head? I want to build a hybrid with a 2.5 block for my Caravan and was thinking that having the turbo on the front of the engine would give me more room and make it easier to work around the turbo. Thought?

contraption22
02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I think having the turbo in the front has as many advantages as disadvantages.

For an all-out race car, this doesn't matter much, but, the exhaust routing I see being a problem, having to go under the engine, then up over the K-frame.

Darkapollo
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Nothing a quick swing with a hammer to the oil pan cant fix ;)