PDA

View Full Version : Started my hybrid log manifold..couple pictures from school

cams1021
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Started today.. got this far.. not bad for a few hours work.

http://tinypic.com/117r5om.jpg

http://tinypic.com/117r6s9.jpg

http://tinypic.com/117r7cw.jpg

Going to attach the weld els to the flange tomorrow.. some finesse with the die grinder and cut the hole for the turbo flange and fabricate a transition into it

:)

SwiftTech
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
good job:thumb: you can't even see the welds in the last picture. looks like one singel piece.

cordes
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
I must say that I am impressed.

turboflanges.com
05-31-2006, 10:28 AM
nice job! The only advice I have is, I try not to grind the welds of anymore. If someone wants that done, I bevel the pipes where they fit together. you want the welds to be as beefy as possible.

The less weld you have there the more likely it will crack.

again looks great though.

Clay
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
If you have good penetration (ie the full thickness of the pipe wall), then globbing weld over and above the pipe wall (ie on top of the already good weld) isnt going to make it stronger.

cams1021
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
The edges are beveled as you can see in the first pic. The pieces were appropriately gapped for adequate penetration. With the right size weld bead... it penetrated well. Grinding the beads smooth actually reduces the chances of cracking due to the reduction of stress risers while still maintaining structural integrity IF you have good penetration.

turbo xtc
05-31-2006, 11:43 PM
that is sharp i'm working on one for a eight valve now i'll send a pic of it when i'm done. I like boosting logs

WVRampage
06-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Thats a real nice looking log and that is some real good welding skills.

cams1021
06-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Finished all the port work today... total flow, all the ports combined was 877 CFM at 28" of test vac. Im happy with it :-D

Garret
06-03-2006, 08:00 AM
where did you end up positioning the Turbo flange? because if I can offer a suggestion put it as far towards the driver side as possible and probably sit that sucker right on top or with a little bit of backwards angle. Otherwise if you run a big turbo (like a Holset) it'll bump the firewall with it on the very backside of the piping

cams1021
06-03-2006, 09:29 AM
where did you end up positioning the Turbo flange? because if I can offer a suggestion put it as far towards the driver side as possible and probably sit that sucker right on top or with a little bit of backwards angle. Otherwise if you run a big turbo (like a Holset) it'll bump the firewall with it on the very backside of the piping

I put it on the joint between the left side elbow/T weld el pieces. Its angled just back enough to clear the head with a garrett big can wastegate on a T04E compressor housing... probably about a 40 degree angle from the flange. Its a tight fit for anything large.. so I made it clear the head first as its easier to mod the firewall with a BFH than trying to get it to clear the head.

whywoody
06-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Nice work,wondering how thick the flanges are?
I made a similar manifold with turbo position and angle replicating the stock old 8v manifold,using 3/8 steel flanges.It has poped the head off one of the centre lower bolts but dosen't seem to leak,I wondered if I should have sliced between each port or simply used 1/2 steel.I am about to hang a '98 Holset hy35 from it,and positioning it's flange any further over to the drivers side would have made it near impossible for me to use an air filter due to the brake booster.I am going to be very close to the power steering pump with the exhaust down pipe too.The firewall has already been adjusted to clear the old turbo,but will need more for the holset,the width of the DOHC makes things alittle tight in places...