PDA

View Full Version : A/C System Upgrade (compressor, not refridgerant)

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I am sick and tired of these crappy Nippondenso A/C compressors. I've probably rebuilt a few dozen of them, but they always end up leaking again after a few years (or less). Buying a reman unit is even worse...they often leak right away. The castings seem to be junk.

I remember reading that the Sanden compressors used on the later models (early 90s) were much better than the Densos. I know that these will use different hoses and the systems have extra sensors and stuff. I'm not really interested in all of that. I just want to retrofit one of these later compressors to an earlier vehicle (an 86 Daytona).

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are the hose connections at the condensor and evaporator the same? In other words, can I just get a compressor, set of hoses, and a drier and bolt it all up?

ottawa rogue
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
i don't know much about the sanden vs the c-171, but is sanden still making their scroll a/c compressor.
as i recall these were supposed to be really small and ultra efficient

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
OK, so there is the newer style Sanden compressor I mentioned above and there is also apparently a drop-in Sanden replacement for the C-171 that is also much better than the Denso.

Anyone know anything about these compressors? Like, how can I get one of the Sanden drop-ins?

MiniMopar
05-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Did some homework. The Sanden drop-in replacement for the C171/A590 early compressor is the SD-709CA or SD-709CC. The 709 is a popular and well-regarded compressor. The trick is finding one with the right mounts (CA or CC). I believe the 709C* have different hose connections, but I am not sure. They have not been manufactured for quite a while, so it's more a matter of catching a reman somewhere or finding one in the junkyard.

The later style (1991 and up) was the Denso 10PA17C. There is a Sanden variant for that one too, but I don't know much about it.

Does anyone know if the 10PA17C is any better than the A590?

Tony Hanna
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Russ,
Why not get a short section of the hoses with the flanges where they bolt to the compressor and build a hybrid hose set with the stock hoses and the right ends for the new compressor? Surely somebody that builds hydraulic hoses could install the ends and crimp new collars over the hoses.
Just a thought.

MiniMopar
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I've thought about that. I don't know much about the reliability of the 10PA17C though. What I'd really like to do is get a SD-709 with the standard aftermarket A/C hose connections (easy to find) and build a set of hybrid hoses for that. The only wrinkle is mounting and the pully on the clutch.

I have one more OEM seal kit on hand and I have one A590 that seems to have a decent casting, so I'll give it one more go and get the A/C working in the CSX again. I'd like to do something better for the Daytona though, but I need more info from someone with experience with the newer stuff.

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Let me know what you find Russ, I agree, the stock compressors suck the big one.

Tony Hanna
06-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I've thought about that. I don't know much about the reliability of the 10PA17C though. What I'd really like to do is get a SD-709 with the standard aftermarket A/C hose connections (easy to find) and build a set of hybrid hoses for that. The only wrinkle is mounting and the pully on the clutch.

What's the issue with the pully? Serpentine?

MiniMopar
06-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, the standard clutch on the 709 has a wide micro-V pulley, probably for a serpentine. The SD-709 is a just a particular Sanden design (7 cylinders, the 09 referring to the length of the stroke). There are variants to the castings for particular applications. The SD-709CA variant is the one that would drop-in in place of the A590. The problem is they are impossible to find. Would need to find something close that can be adapted.

Other clutches are available, I've found, so I'm not worried about that. The next trick is to figure out how to mount one.