PDA

View Full Version : Difference between CSXT and CSX other than Engine

JuXsA
05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Did the CSXT have swaybars installed? Also, what about the CSXT springs? Were they different? Other then the Engine, intercooler, and turbo was there anything else different between the CSXT and CSX? Also, what did shelby do on the CSX-VNT to alter the Handling of the car?

I am starting to research suspension stuff since I am pretty much done with all my engine crap, for now any way. So I plan on learning about good upgrades for my CSXT. I am not really interested in Koni's since this is a DD. I figure the Bilstein struts and a set of KYBs will be a good improvement over the Monroe Formula GP shocks/struts.

I am also interested in hearing about the brakes and about upgrading them.

The junkyards around here like to crush cars that are over 10 years old so going to a boneyard to get parts will prove difficult.

Thanks

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
The '88 CSX-T was pretty much the same as the 87 CSX except for the power train, the wheels, and the color. The 89 was a different beast.

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldodg.htm

JuXsA
05-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I have already been to that site, I just wanted to make sure. So whats the deal with the 89 CSX? What made the handeling characterists different then the 87 and 88? I already know about the drivetrain and That page you linked was one of the first pages I ever read about these cars Many Many years ago...

The pages that talks about the 89 CSX says that it was one of the best handling FWD cars made at the time so I am trying to figure out what I can do to my CSXT to make it handle like the 89... with out buying Koni's.

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, you can't even get the Monroe GPs anymore, so you are kind of stuck getting Konis. I don't think there is anything else these days that can come close to the GPs. I was under the impression that the spring setup was different in the 89, but there aren't many detailed specs on the Shelby springs that I've seen.

JuXsA
05-30-2006, 10:43 PM
so the GPs were good struts and shocks? I heard that the Monroe stuff was not really that great...
Would going with Bilstein struts and KYB Gas-Adjust shocks be a downgrade? What about sway bars? Or springs?

Any one know anything about how the 89CSX had its suspension set up?

ShelbyZD
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Would going with Bilstein struts and KYB Gas-Adjust shocks be a downgrade?

Upgrade over stock. Not a huge upgrade like the Koni's.. but a decent upgrade nontheless.

glhs502
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I had a CSXT for a while, I replaced the complete front suspension with a 90 Shelby Daytone V6. The newer cars had the better control arms and a bigger swaybar. Then I installed a set of Eibach springs to lower it some. It would out handle the 89 CSX I had at the same time any day. the only part I did not like was the Eibachs with the KYBs, the ride was bouncey.
I also swapped over to the vented rear disk brakes and went with the 11'' front disk from the same Daytona. And just to make sure all of the good CSXT brake parts would find a good home I put them on my 87 GLHS.
I think my old CSXT is for sale down in FL.