PDA

View Full Version : Am I making a mistake? (going 3-bar)

Anonymous_User
05-30-2006, 02:24 AM
OK, first a little history. I've been around TD's for several years. Took a year or so off and ended up back in the hobby. I've never run a cal, but I have taken them above stock boost cutout before.

My current project is a Turbo Z (clone). It is an '86 shortblock with a slightly modded swirl head (stock back cut valves, minor port work). Stock TII intake, turbo, IC. Ported exhaust mani. '87 TII wiring and comp.

I have fired up the car just to verify all the wiring is correct on the stock computer. Now that I know it runs, I am planning on finishing up some minor details and installing +40's, 3-bar, adj. fuel reg, and an OLD 3-bar cal that I've had for ages. I think its an old Neil Emiro (sp?) calibration. It's supposedly a dual 18/22 psi cal and that is all I know.

Now, I have a good boost gauge, a/f gauge, and EGT gauge. Am I making a big mistake by installing all this 3-bar stuff prior to actually driving the bugs out of the car on stock electronics? I feel comfortable doing the tuning and watching things closely, but I don't have a scanner. It will all be by ear, feel, and gauge.

Any comments appreciated and if anyone has had any experience with these older cal's, please chime in with your opinions.