PDA

View Full Version : Diff traction inserts

Stratman
05-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Turbovanman suggested I start a thread for anyone that uses a differential insert. I know the carnage he had in his A-413 in the 3500 lbs van using a fluid with little lubrication properties, but how many people have used one for a long time and it actually works fairly well? I will be running ATF+3. Let me know it it is in an auto or manual. Horror stories I definately want to hear about.
I'll be running the transmission posted in the following thread:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4632

Stratman
05-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Can someone share some thoughts and experience with this? I don't want this nicely built trans to be ruined by the differential shattering.

Will Martin
05-31-2006, 01:07 AM
I have one in my GLH.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/719000-719999/719818_50_full.jpg

I only have about 1k miles on it, but it's lived through dumping my clutch with a 2.5 S60 VNT, and currently my T3/T4 set up which is putting out a lot more power.....so far so good. I think with a heavier car AND good traction (slicks), they may not stand up to too much abuse..... My two pennies. lol

Stratman
05-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, it will work out in a 2680 lbs vehicle. I need to also hear from people using them in an auto trans and what fluid they are using.

Speedeuphoria
05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
most people ust type F w/ or w/o insert

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
I would use a full synthetic. I used Amsoil in my first tranny with an open diff, even with 2 years at the track with small burnouts, the diff pin and gears didn't have a mark on them. I wasn't using slicks but street tires and DR's.

GLHS592
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
I am using an Alabama Man traction insert in my 520. Alabama Man himself installed it in my differential. I'm using Mobil 1 dino 5w30. The car weighs maybe 2600 with me in it. I love it so far. The car has maybe 500 miles on the new drivetrain combo. I've made 4 1/8 mile passes and 6 1/4 mile passes with it. It burns both slicks every time and my 60' times are greatly improved.

91DSX
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
^The Alabama man insert does not utilize clutches correct? Very impressive if so!

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 04:42 PM
^The Alabama man insert does not utilize clutches correct? Very impressive if so!\

Nope, I believe he was the first, then came PG and the other copies.

Stratman
05-31-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping more people would read this running an auto.

If your talking about who came first, I think the Phantom Grip has been around much longer. Years back I read about the PG and later I saw Alabama Man show up in the forums.

Frank
05-31-2006, 05:54 PM
\

Actually PG was first, but it sucked in his eyes, hence the AB insert which he started showing off at SDAC-13 or so. Thats when I first saw it.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. :p I wasn't sure, hence the I believe part.

TurboJerry
06-01-2006, 04:25 AM
All I can say is don't do a one legged burnout. It *will* get cooked faster if only one tire spins during the smoke show process with a spring block setup......

Frank
06-01-2006, 07:24 AM
And yes he did say that right... you can do a peg legged burnout with a traction insert...

Frank

WVRampage
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
when I do the clutch in my car im puting the ford track lock spring in,its supose to work alright and it only cost 14.99.

Stratman
06-01-2006, 06:36 PM
And yes he did say that right... you can do a peg legged burnout with a traction insert...
Frank

That is why I am concerned. I realized there is a large amount of pressure on the gears and if one wheel breaks loose, there will be alot of friction and heat building up.
It sounds like I'll go ahead and use it since I don't really think I'll use anything larger than a 21 or 22 inch slick, if I use slicks at all.

Frank
06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeh its ok to use... just make sure you have the diff pin savers.

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeh its ok to use... just make sure you have the diff pin savers.

He does, didn't you see the pics? :eyebrows:

Frank
06-01-2006, 07:23 PM
He does, didn't you see the pics? :eyebrows:

:fencing:

Stevien1
06-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Don't waste your money on a "traction insert", save it for a real differental. I have (more like "had" now) a PG Extreme in my van- complete with machined side gears. In as little as 500 miles, the trans pan was full of metal shavings and the insert no long had any break-away torque. I emailed the vendor and PG about this and you can guess what they said in reply.......

I had the pan off last summer (maybe 10,000mi after I installed it) and there was still a bit of metal shavings in the pan. Good thing I run an external filter, otherwise the governor would have been jammed up a long time ago!

-Chuck James

91DSX
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Don't waste your money on a "traction insert", save it for a real differental. I have (more like "had" now) a PG Extreme in my van- complete with machined side gears. In as little as 500 miles, the trans pan was full of metal shavings and the insert no long had any break-away torque. I emailed the vendor and PG about this and you can guess what they said in reply.......

I had the pan off last summer (maybe 10,000mi after I installed it) and there was still a bit of metal shavings in the pan. Good thing I run an external filter, otherwise the governor would have been jammed up a long time ago!

-Chuck James

It seems Vans really test the limits, as they should, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking one in a Shadow or Daytona? You know Dean Stillie ran a "traction insert" into the 10's. . .same unit ran in a 3400lb 13.3@108MPH Lancer Shelby, still in it today actually.

Stratman
06-02-2006, 12:13 AM

-Chuck James

There is no money wasted. It is already in the trans I recieved from Hughes Performance. No govenor in this transmission to get jammed up. It was originally built for the Manual valve body, but I will take the advice some have given me, to install an external filter.

glhs875
06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
when I do the clutch in my car im puting the ford track lock spring in,its supose to work alright and it only cost 14.99.

It's does work. I've had one of those in my trans for going on 4years now. I also put one in a trans I built for a customer. All it takes is a little machining of the gears to make it fit. (I use a belt sander). It would work even better with clutches. I had a set of clutches made up and when I freshen up my trans Iam going to try and install them along with that Ford wave spring.

turbovanmanČ
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
It's does work. I've had one of those in my trans for going on 4years now. I also put one in a trans I built for a customer. All it takes is a little machining of the gears to make it fit. (I use a belt sander). It would work even better with clutches. I had a set of clutches made up and when I freshen up my trans Iam going to try and install them along with that Ford wave spring.

You should definatley take pics and post the deal in the FAQ section, :amen:

Tony Hanna
06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say the traction inserts probably perform better the closer to even the weight is between sides right?

Stratman
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I also wonder if having equal length axles might make a difference on how it performs and holds up. I don't use the equal length since I've never successfully been able to pull the old axle out of the one I've had around for years.

Stratman
06-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Did the insert help you guys much with torque steer any?

GLHS592
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Once I fixed my motor mount issue, the car hasn't torque steered once.

turbovanmanČ
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Did the insert help you guys much with torque steer any?

I have equal length axles, poly everything but it would wander when changing lanes on badly road crowned roads, the insert helped big time as does the OBX, :amen:

Stratman
06-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi Kevin,

What motor mount issues did you have?

Once I fixed my motor mount issue, the car hasn't torque steered once.

87csx2.4
06-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Inserts have always worked good for me,but everytime ive pulled the trans the diff. has been galled up behind the side gears,and the tabs were always broke off on the spiders so just beware.For what you can get an obx for now it would be a good upgrade for that trans.