PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Charger Restoration

brian87
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Looking for so opinions on what to do with my 85 charger. The front section of the drivers floor pan is shot. The Pass. side is rotted from the front seat to about a 6" up the firewall. It is fixable, but is this car every going to worth the time and money it will take to fix it. I could do a cheap repair(weld panels over the holes and seal) and sell the car, but I don't think I could do that to someone else. I will have to pull the engine and cradle to to fix it correctly, thing I might as well plan on a full restoration if I'm going that far. The car is clean other then that, Has surface rust in a couple of spots but no rot anywere else, has a nice interior, but needs a paint job. I'm torn, I want to fix it but I don't know I want or the car warrents this much work.

spoolinhard
02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Fix it!

GLHS592
02-11-2010, 07:44 PM
There are very few cars that are going to make you money when you restore it. Restore/rebuild a car ONLY because you like it. It sounds like it is worth saving to me.

contraption22
02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
If you love the car, fix it, but don't expect to ever make money on it. If you need to make money on it, part it out.

DC Turismo
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
What color combo is it? If a silver/blue or blue/silver combo, you definitely have to fix it!

If you're looking for an 2 door L-body that is going to be worth something, find yourself a GLHS and use this car as a parts car...

brian87
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks, I didn't mean for it to sound like it is all about the money. I just meant it would suck if these cars never get any of the attention they deserve. The thing is I just finished a full restoration on my 68 camaro last year. As you all know it is a lot of work and money to restore a car back to show room condition. Which if I'm going to do this car that is what I would want to do. I don't think I can bring myself to part it out. Maybe I should just fix the rust holes, paint it and drive it. It is red and silver.

ohlarikd
03-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, I didn't mean for it to sound like it is all about the money. I just meant it would suck if these cars never get any of the attention they deserve. The thing is I just finished a full restoration on my 68 camaro last year. As you all know it is a lot of work and money to restore a car back to show room condition. Which if I'm going to do this car that is what I would want to do. I don't think I can bring myself to part it out. Maybe I should just fix the rust holes, paint it and drive it. It is red and silver.

You can restore a 68 Camaro to factory because there is a huge aftermarket for resto parts. There is nothing really for a Shelby Charger. You will never be able to get it back to original without sourcing parts from about 100 other cars. See what you need then see if you can find the pristine parts. If it proves impossible and you will not be happy with the outcome (not perfection) then sell it. That's my opinion if you want the showroom original look.