PDA

View Full Version : Cordes' Blue GLH

cordes
02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I picked this car up from Clark this last weekend. It is very rust free on the bottom side, and only surface rust from the lack of paint on the top for the most part. My plan is to eventually swap most everything from my GLHT over to this car.

When I picked it up there were several slight issues which needed resolved before I was to drive the car home 120mi. The caliper on the right front was sticking, and that wasn't too much trouble. We did hear a noise coming from the trans though. Clark jumped right under the car and started pulling stuff away from the bell housing to see if there was a bolt or some such stuck in there causing all the racket. None could be found, so I asked Clark if the fluid was perhaps low. Upon checking the Fluid, we found that it was indeed bone dry and decided that topping it off with used motor oil would do the trick. We started adding it through the funnel with a partially torn Mountain Dew can which we used to fill the radiator. We kept counting, and counting.

I can now say that a 525 trans will hold 13 partially torn Mountain Dew cans of old motor oil out of a kitty litter bucket containing various viscosities (some synthetic too!).

Upon driving the car home 120mi without a problem except for the lack of heat in February with temps in the 20s, I parked her in the drive.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/snow2.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/snow3.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/snow21.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/snow4.JPG

Although the car looked great in the drive, I thought it would be even better in the garage. I had never heard of anyone getting 3 cars in a 2.5 car garage before either so I stepped up to the plate I could get a 3rd Omni in there if I had to. I think I will pick up some wheel dollies before that though.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage2.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage3.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage4.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage5.JPG

moparman76_69
02-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Good thing you picked it up when you did, if it was still around this coming weekend I was going to try and grab it.

JohnnyIroc
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
nice look car man :thumb:
i have never seen the rear wiper louvers on an omni before that's strange

minigts
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Please let me help you with the wiring. For the LOVE OF PETE let me help you.... PLEASE..Again I ask..please.

cordes
02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Good thing you picked it up when you did, if it was still around this coming weekend I was going to try and grab it.

I picked it up as soon as I could since I knew there would be a good amount of interest in the car due to its lack of rust on the underside.

nice look car man :thumb:
i have never seen the rear wiper louvers on an omni before that's strange

Same here. I have heard that a unicorn owns a set with a DC whale tail spoiler to go with them, but have never seen pics.

Myself and Clark were talking about it, and he thinks they may have been modified to fit and were perhaps originally for a rabbit.

Please let me help you with the wiring. For the LOVE OF PETE let me help you.... PLEASE..Again I ask..please.

Deal. :amen:

omni_840
02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Nice GLH!

blk86trbo
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Every time I see this car I wonder why I sold it but didn't keep the rear louvers!

120 miles home? Man...LOL, nobody can say you don't have a pair! Looking forward to more pics as progress is made :nod:

Vigo
02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Thats the stuff good stories are made of!!

I assume the current car is rusty and thats the reason for the swappage?

CoolV300C
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage5.JPG

Shorts in the snow? What do you wear in the summer? :confused2:

Nevermind.........just don't work near any moving parts and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cool car.......good luck with the swap.

4 l-bodies
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I see we have another GLHT with N/A GLH stickers on it. Like Greg Thewes GLHT. Looks like original paint, or what's left of it.
Mistake or stealth?
Good luck on the project!
Todd

cordes
02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Every time I see this car I wonder why I sold it but didn't keep the rear louvers!

120 miles home? Man...LOL, nobody can say you don't have a pair! Looking forward to more pics as progress is made :nod:

According to the odo in the Neon, it was 128 miles and change. The last hour or so was very painful with no heat for sure.

Thats the stuff good stories are made of!!

I assume the current car is rusty and thats the reason for the swappage?

Yes, the floors in my current GLHT are in need of serious repair, as are the rear quarters and front frame rails.

Shorts in the snow? What do you wear in the summer? :confused2:

Nevermind.........just don't work near any moving parts and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cool car.......good luck with the swap.

I'm a shorts year round type of guy. It is hard for me to find pants which fit well, and when I do they are expensive. I usually save them for nicer occasions.

I see we have another GLHT with N/A GLH stickers on it. Like Greg Thewes GLHT. Looks like original paint, or what's left of it.
Mistake or stealth?
Todd

Sorry for the confusion. The Blue GLH is a NA car. The Black one is a factory GLHT. I will probably stick with the GLH graphics again to be somewhat correct to it's origins and also because there were several turbos to get GLH decals that I have read of.

black86glhs
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
According to the odo in the Neon, it was 128 miles and change. The last hour or so was very painful with no heat for sure.

Yes, the floors in my current GLHT are in need of serious repair, as are the rear quarters and front frame rails.

I'm a shorts year round type of guy. It is hard for me to find pants which fit well, and when I do they are expensive. I usually save them for nicer occasions.

Sorry for the confusion. The Blue GLH is a NA car. The Black one is a factory GLHT. I will probably stick with the GLH graphics again to be somewhat correct to it's origins and also because there were several turbos to get GLH decals that I have read of.
Hey Cordes, were the frank and beans so cold you had to stick your finger up your --- and yell snake to pee????:evil:

JohnnyIroc
02-10-2010, 11:50 PM
so what are the plans for the GLH-T after you steal its motor?

moparfwdsleeper
02-11-2010, 12:56 AM

do it my way :eyebrows:

minigts
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
do it my way :eyebrows:

He's running a LM so it may be more feasible to migrate things to the inside. If he were running a SMEC I would say negative. I know you did it but too much clutter in a small car like that.

jamesmonty
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice! I really need to get working on mine.

blk86trbo
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey Cordes, also I wanted to fill you in with some details of your hood.

Back in 98 I bought my very first turbo Mopar...an 85 Sante Fe blue GLHT out of South Holland, Illinois. Eventually that car was modded with a hood scoop, and I couldn't bear destroying the vented hood. My neighbor at the time owned your carbed GLH, so I removed and donated the turbo hood to him.

In fact, if you ever think about installing your black hood on the blue Omni (and selling the blue hood was an option), I'd be interested in buying it back...it would be a great reminder of the car that started the TM madness ;)

rx2mazda
02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I LOVE GLH'S! Good luck with the swap/build

cordes
02-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Cordes, were the frank and beans so cold you had to stick your finger up your --- and yell snake to pee????:evil:

Really it was just my toes which got that cold. I was worried about mild frost bite at one point.

so what are the plans for the GLH-T after you steal its motor?

I'm not too sure yet. I have a feeling that I may end up stripping every single part off the body and storing them for a rainy day. It will tear me up to do that since I have so much time and effort into the car, but with the rust it has, no one would realistically give me anything worth the spare parts which are drying up in the yards anyway.

Hey Cordes, also I wanted to fill you in with some details of your hood.

Back in 98 I bought my very first turbo Mopar...an 85 Sante Fe blue GLHT out of South Holland, Illinois. Eventually that car was modded with a hood scoop, and I couldn't bear destroying the vented hood. My neighbor at the time owned your carbed GLH, so I removed and donated the turbo hood to him.

In fact, if you ever think about installing your black hood on the blue Omni (and selling the blue hood was an option), I'd be interested in buying it back...it would be a great reminder of the car that started the TM madness ;)

Thanks for the info Paul. If I ever do decide to sell it, I will certainly let you know. I will probably end up keeping it for the long haul though, as I hacked up the hood a little on my car to install the hood pins etc. :(

4 l-bodies
02-12-2010, 02:46 PM
So the Santa Fe Blue N/A GLH has a vented (turbo) hood on it? That isn't correct either but a good thing!
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies
Mistake or stealth?
Todd

Turbodave
02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Brian, glad to see the car get a good home.

As far as parking 3 cars in the 2.5 car garage I would put the K-Car sideways along the back wall and then park the Omni's side by side, should leave you with better access that way. The first year I had my place two GLH's, my Ram pickup and the lawn tractor with a snow blower on it all fit inside my 2.5 car garage

cordes
02-12-2010, 07:59 PM
So the Santa Fe Blue N/A GLH has a vented (turbo) hood on it? That isn't correct either but a good thing!
Todd

That is correct. I think Paul posted in this thread that he gave the hood to his neighbor since he did not want to use it for the hood with a scoop he was doing for his omni back when.

Brian, glad to see the car get a good home.

As far as parking 3 cars in the 2.5 car garage I would put the K-Car sideways along the back wall and then park the Omni's side by side, should leave you with better access that way. The first year I had my place two GLH's, my Ram pickup and the lawn tractor with a snow blower on it all fit inside my 2.5 car garage

That is a very good idea. I am going to get a couple of wheel dollies and I will be all set I think.

86seeS
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
my 85 glht had glh decals sold the car last year

strang3majik
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
haha...yay...another n/a glh :p Both to get different versions of their unnaturally aspirated treatment.

The lady I got mine from's husband had an N/A GLH that he ordered new that had all the turbo stuff on it (stickers and hood) but was still carbed. Car has like 10k miles sitting on blocks under a cover in his garage :p

blk86trbo
02-15-2010, 03:05 PM
That is correct. I think Paul posted in this thread that he gave the hood to his neighbor since he did not want to use it for the hood with a scoop he was doing for his omni back when.

Hey Brian, not sure if you care to see or know, but here's final pics of the car that your hood was originally installed on.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=606217&postcount=274

cordes
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Brian, not sure if you care to see or know, but here's final pics of the car that your hood was originally installed on.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=606217&postcount=274

Very cool Paul. I didn't put two and two together to realize that the hood came from your old white car. (no pun intended.) I can't wait to get a little warmer weather so I can start getting everything ready.

I will probably keep the NA car as is for this year other than general maintenance type stuff so that I can finally run a decent time in my black car once I fix the boost.

The first thing I need to do to this car is put Charger seat tracks in it though. I can barely get in and out of the car with the stock wheel in there. I had to remove the armrest in this car also so that I could shift. I would like to use Charger tracks and another small wheel to allow me the room to use an armrest though.

cordes
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Finally some work done on the car. I put some Charger seat tracks in the car to drop the seat down some. It is still rough getting in and out of the car with the stock wheel in there, but it is much more manageable now.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/tape.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/tape2.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/legs.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/legs2.JPG

BoostedDrummer
04-02-2010, 01:30 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/garage4.JPG

Is it just me or does the Black GLH look...bigger?

cordes
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Is it just me or does the Black GLH look...bigger?

It does because of the way it sits. It has the KYB GR2 struts in the rear with the spring perch installed upside down. That causes the rear to ride a lot higher than it should. I got the car this way and I've never changed it.

BLUEBALL
04-04-2010, 01:41 AM
120 mile drive after throwin used oil in a dry trans and brake issues! Your def a trooper. What a shame the other one has cancer

cordes
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
120 mile drive after throwin used oil in a dry trans and brake issues! Your def a trooper. What a shame the other one has cancer

Thanks.

I looked under the black car again the other day when I put it up on dollies to move it around the garage. After looking at the bottom of the blue car it is apparent that the black car is beyond saving IMO. Maybe if it was an actual S car, but...

omni_840
04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks.

I looked under the black car again the other day when I put it up on dollies to move it around the garage. After looking at the bottom of the blue car it is apparent that the black car is beyond saving IMO. Maybe if it was an actual S car, but...

I know the feeling.....:o

I have one in my garage that is about to get crushed (after I strip all the GLH stuff off, of course)

cordes
06-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I just plated this car and put insurance on it today. The front driver's side caliper is hanging up now. When it goes it flies, but as of right now it hardly moves.

T-Bohn
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Cordes

could you explain a little more about the tracks you swapped? and what it did for your car. I stand 6'3 and go about 265. This might get me a little more room for when I wear a helmet.

cordes
06-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Cordes

could you explain a little more about the tracks you swapped? and what it did for your car. I stand 6'3 and go about 265. This might get me a little more room for when I wear a helmet.

The seat tracks bolt to the bottom of the seat and are in turn bolted to the floor to hold it in. The 2 door L body seat tracks sit much lower due to the lower roof line in the 2 door cars. Since the seats are the same you can unbolt the tracks from a two door car and throw them right on a 4 door seat (or bolt the whole thing in if it's nicer than yours).

The 2 door tracks will drop your seat enough to make the steering wheel much more comfortable between your legs and get you the added head room you may need. I feel this a must for anyone who is taller or very long legged.

cordes
06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Picked up two L body rads and an analog fuel metering device out of a rampage today. I'll post pics later to make sure the AFMD is one of the non-feedback jobs. If it is I'll pick up another one at the yard for $15.

strang3majik
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
On top of that ^^ I put washers in between the column and the plate it mounts to to lower it some and give it some tilt...lol Much better now with the lower seats.

cordes
06-13-2012, 08:56 PM
On top of that ^^ I put washers in between the column and the plate it mounts to to lower it some and give it some tilt...lol Much better now with the lower seats.

I wish it would move the other direction!

I didn't snap any pics of the new carb, but it does have less electrical stuff on it than the one in the car so I'm pretty sure it's the one I wanted.

I'll need to order up some new front brake hoses and perhaps calipers so that the front brakes won't drag any longer. It's really getting annoying. It was the front driver's hose pinching off the fluid for sure though. I bent the clip a little and it did much better.

johnl
06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Santa Fe Blue is the best color ever. Shows exceptional taste and savoir faire. Just my humble opinion.

cordes
06-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Santa Fe Blue is the best color ever. Shows exceptional taste and savoir faire. Just my humble opinion.

I'm forced to agree!

rx2mazda
06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
me too!

blk86trbo
06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Nice to hear that it's back on the road!

cordes
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Nice to hear that it's back on the road!

Thanks Paul

I ordered up everything to do the front brakes last night. New hoses, calipers, etc. That should definitely stop the brake dragging issue.

I also noticed yesterday that the non-feedback carb I picked up has an adapter which will fit perfectly on the Webber carb I have. That will be going on very shortly.
What is everyone doing for an air cleaner with the Webbers?

cordes
06-15-2012, 09:43 PM
New front brakes etc. installed today. It actually stops and doesn't drag the brakes. Now I just need to get this AFMD thing figured out.

fishcleaner
06-15-2012, 10:33 PM
whooo hooo, another one on the road. Cut the top and bottom off the steering wheel and make it a butterfly wheel, its a quick enough steering ratio to get
away with it. I did that to my Conquest, took about a day to get used to it.

cordes
06-15-2012, 11:59 PM
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to think it over.

cordes
06-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Took it down to the gas station for the first time today. While it runs like crap due to the carb, there are hints of greatness. I need to get the Weber carb on there stat. It looks like it'll be a pretty easy swap in all reality.

blk86trbo
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Brian would if be possible for ya to post up a short video of it driving down the street or around the block? I'd really like to show the original owner that it's still running around...if not, maybe I can take a vid when I'm down your way for the cheese festival :D

cordes
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey Brian would if be possible for ya to post up a short video of it driving down the street or around the block? I'd really like to show the original owner that it's still running around...if not, maybe I can take a vid when I'm down your way for the cheese festival :D

I'll try to get something up soon. Actually, I'm sure Jon can help me with this project over the next couple of days. Once the Weber is on it should run really well.

cordes
06-17-2012, 09:16 PM
OK, I removed the adapter from the bottom of the Holley unit and installed it on the Weber unit. Now I just need to figure out how to fix the linkage and find out which model weber carb this is for sure.

Here are some pics.

Weber:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P6170045.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P6170046.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P6170047.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P6170048.JPG

Holley linkage:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P6170049.JPG

wallace
06-18-2012, 04:09 PM
It looks like a 32/36 DGV?

cordes
06-19-2012, 12:32 AM
It looks like a 32/36 DGV?

From what I see and what I've read on the net I'm sure it's a 32/36, but I haven't the foggiest what the letters after it mean yet. I'm sure I'll get there though.

wallace
06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah no idea what the letters mean either. I've used that carb on a Nissan pickup truck. It worked pretty good out of the box good luck with it.

T-Bohn
06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
I had a weber on my VW years ago. I think the letters were one of two things choke type (less) or which side the throttle is on ( more likely)

I am trying to remember all the way back to 1984 though...

moparman76_69
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
What is everyone doing for an air cleaner with the Webbers?

Use the factory one, or one of the little VW dealies. K&N makes an adapter to run any 5 1/4 air cleaner but it is pricey.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

I had a weber on my VW years ago. I think the letters were one of two things choke type (less) or which side the throttle is on ( more likely)

I am trying to remember all the way back to 1984 though...

The second letter is which side the throttle is on (ie G or F) the third (ie. E or A) is electric or air choke. AFAIK if it only has 3 (ie DGV instead of DGEV) is a manual choke.

cordes
06-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys!

cordes
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks to Great Lakes Hotrod for donating the L body shift linkage kits to the SDAC 22 prize pile. It is just what the Omni needs!

http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/L-Body_Shifter_Kits_For_Sale.html

cordes
07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
It took a while, but here are the videos. I'm sure I'll cross post in the lounge, but this was the first time out with the car and it ran really well once you were actually going. It's probably quite apparent in the videos, but it's half way to all or nothing. WOT doesn't do much and trying to accelerate at a normal pace isn't the best either. Still hints of greatness present at all times though.

We did get a few looks from some folks in the know. There was a guy in a Mazda wagon that was tastefully modified a bit craning to get a glimpse as he drove by. It was quite comical really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGUcNhemDA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8ICizvGlQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ebkvbxKCc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahQ0Mnh8ghE&feature=youtu.be

cordes
07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Here are some pictures which were taken during the trip on the way home.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090098.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090099.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090100.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090102.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090105.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090104.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090106.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090110.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7090109.JPG

Clay
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Lookin' good!

black86glhs
07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
I thought you put the weber on it? Did you not get it tuned yet?

cordes
07-12-2012, 12:40 AM
I haven't manage to get it on there yet. I've been so busy at work I just haven't had the time. Hopefully it will go on there very soon though. I need to get the shift linkage and motor mounts done too.

black86glhs
07-12-2012, 12:44 AM
That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why the weber was giving you such trouble, but now its clear....lol. You need to tell work you have important things to do!!!:p

cordes
07-15-2012, 01:25 AM
I did some work to put a functional stereo in the car a couple of days ago. It looks like someone was using the stereo feed to power a couple of gauges. I'm not sure if this cutout in the dash was related at all? I also can't believe I didn't get a picture of the Infinity unit I installed. I'll have to snap a pic of that the next time the car goes out.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7120098.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P7120099.JPG

cordes
07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I finally finished the L body shift linkage kit installation today. What an ordeal! I hope to have a how to video up tonight.

Does anyone know if the long rod which goes from the shifter to the bracket and rod right under the exhaust is different between the carb and turbo models? I think it may be after I had so many issues.

Of course now that the linkage is back in the stater went out. At least I have a spare or seven.

Keito
07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Jay told me the Turbo and N/A rods were a different length.:)

cordes
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Jay told me the Turbo and N/A rods were a different length.:)

I think there is a definite difference between the main rod from the shifter too.

cordes
07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, it wasn't a bad starter, but a faulty battery. What a downer.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Also, if anyone wants to see the video of the installation just check out the SDAC members only section.

blk86trbo
07-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Are you thinking of bringing this car to the Cheese Festival show? I'm kinda on the fence about driving my wagon down because the paint is so weathered...but if you were bringing the GLH I would be proud to park next to you LOL

cordes
07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Are you thinking of bringing this car to the Cheese Festival show? I'm kinda on the fence about driving my wagon down because the paint is so weathered...but if you were bringing the GLH I would be proud to park next to you LOL

If it's running (I don't see why it wouldn't be) it will be there with the Daytona.

fishcleaner
07-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Cheese Festival?

cordes
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Cheese Festival?

Heck yes! The Arthur Cheese Festival home of Cheese N' Wheels 2012! Three days of free cheese, cars, eating, and feats of cheese strength!

If you come, you could certainly win the long distance award at the car show. No other car show on the planet has a trophy so large vs. the best of show award. I'm not sure if Jon Trotter has the picture from his win the year that the old guy with the best of show trophy was eyeing him for having such a big piece by way of comparison.

I'll start a thread dedicated to it in the events section tonight. I think this will be the 4th one?

moparman76_69
07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Jon will be so mad at you if he loses the award this year lol.

fishcleaner
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Heck yes! The Arthur Cheese Festival home of Cheese N' Wheels 2012! Three days of free cheese, cars, eating, and feats of cheese strength!

If you come, you could certainly win the long distance award at the car show. No other car show on the planet has a trophy so large vs. the best of show award. I'm not sure if Jon Trotter has the picture from his win the year that the old guy with the best of show trophy was eyeing him for having such a big piece by way of comparison.

I'll start a thread dedicated to it in the events section tonight. I think this will be the 4th one?
I have no right to make fun of it, here in DE we have a Scrapple Festival, if you are ever in the DelMarVa area, pick up a brick of it. Sounds like a good show, grab some pictures

cordes
07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Jon will be so mad at you if he loses the award this year lol.

I'm sure he'll be polite about it if it's a TMer who wins it. However, he will move 5 miles further out from this years winner if he loses so that he wins next year.

cordes
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I put in a new front motor mount today, bought a battery, and started polishing the wheels. That's going to take forever.

cordes
07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
I took the car around the block today for the first time since the new rods and mounts went in. Holy crap what a difference! It's so much nicer now it's like another car. I still need to post pics of the front motor mount so you guys can see if you can spot one of the reasons it was so bad before.

cordes
08-04-2012, 12:24 AM
I think I'm going to polish the pizza wheels for the Cheese Festival if possible. Here's what I'm starting with.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/IMAG00102.JPG

I can't figure out why the motor moved so much before I replaced the front motor mount.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/IMAG00061.JPG

johnl
08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Good looking car, sounds good too. Nice save.

cordes
08-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks John. It's not an AZ car, but it's about as close as you can get IMO. The under side of the car has less rust than the top side for sure.

johnl
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
So, what's wrong with that motor mount, other than the rust?

In your opinion not rusty, ha ha; that thing is so rusty I'd toss it.

cordes
08-06-2012, 09:58 PM
So, what's wrong with that motor mount, other than the rust?

In your opinion not rusty, ha ha; that thing is so rusty I'd toss it.

You California guys. I'm tellin' ya.

The mount was 90* off so it basically did nothing at all. Except rip I guess.

ETA: That's really just surface rust on the bracket for the most part. The bubbly stuff is actually caked on grease.

cordes
08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Here is my shift linkage video which I put together after receiving the Great Lakes Hot Rod Shifter Linkage Kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZW76UqhWhA

omni_840
08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Nice vid! Thanks for taking the time to make/post it:nod:

I recently did this upgrade on my GLHT and I love it! The hardest part for me was getting everything off the car

cordes
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks. It does take some time to remove everything. I found removing the pivot bracket from the trans to be the most time consuming part of the whole deal. I just couldn't find anything to get it off of there easily.

ScottD
08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I am also 6'2". Check out my turismo plog and the Grant wheel I used. It created much more leg room. I have the SC seat tracks on my 86 glhs and while it makes more room i could use even more room.

That DGV weber is odd looking no wonder you were having issues with the linkage.

cordes
08-19-2012, 12:41 AM
I am also 6'2". Check out my turismo plog and the Grant wheel I used. It created much more leg room. I have the SC seat tracks on my 86 glhs and while it makes more room i could use even more room.

That DGV weber is odd looking no wonder you were having issues with the linkage.

I was going to keep the stock wheel for class reasons, but now that I'm obviously not doing that with all of these changes I'll go ahead and swap in a different wheel. I have a 10" wheel in my GLHT and it makes a world of difference.

Not only the linkage is way different, but the way the top is too. I need to get that new air filter setup ordered.

minigts
08-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Excellent video Cordes and thanks for the plug. :) Yeah, it's SO much better to have that shifter setup than the stock. It's solid and won't come off unless the shifter itself comes loose.

cordes
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Excellent video Cordes and thanks for the plug. :) Yeah, it's SO much better to have that shifter setup than the stock. It's solid and won't come off unless the shifter itself comes loose.

I've really enjoyed it thus far. I have an air filter setup coming in the mail so I should be all set for the cheese festival.

minigts
08-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Man I can't wait to paint this thing!!! It's so clean of rust, just flaky paint. We could make this thing show room by a slick paint job in his garage!

cordes
08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
You'll be getting closer to that time. I received my air filter assy in the mail today. That'll go on tomorrow most likely.

cordes
08-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all who helped me through the carb installation. It sure did take a while, but I got it done. It runs much better now than it has and I've just tinkered with it a very tiny bit. Here are some pics.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P8250134.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P8250133.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P8250132.JPG

black86glhs
08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Looks great. Glad it is more drivable.:D

roachjuice
08-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Man I kinda want an N/A GLH. Looks good!

cordes
08-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys. I've still got a ways to go, but it's getting there.

It's amazing how much room there is under the hood of an NA car once you get all the crap out of the way I would add. Tons of room really.

ScottD
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I have an NOS chrome valve cover that would look good on that car :-)

Also, the fuel separator, on my car I removed it. I'm talking about the thing you have the fuel lines going into.

Khajjathefang
08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Cool, project. Ive an old na torque cam laying around in the box. rough never used if you want it

cordes
08-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I have an NOS chrome valve cover that would look good on that car :-)

Also, the fuel separator, on my car I removed it. I'm talking about the thing you have the fuel lines going into.

Where do the lines go and what do they do? I'm embarrassed to say that I looked that thing up in the book and couldn't make much of the diagrams or what was said about it. I saw that you had gotten rid of the one in your car, but I couldn't see exactly what you did.

I've actually got a valve cover which is really clean waiting to go on. I think about asking if that one you have is still available now and again though. Good to know that it's still around.

Cool, project. Ive an old na torque cam laying around in the box. rough never used if you want it

PM sent.

ScottD
08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Where do the lines go and what do they do? I'm embarrassed to say that I looked that thing up in the book and couldn't make much of the diagrams or what was said about it. I saw that you had gotten rid of the one in your car, but I couldn't see exactly what you did.

I've actually got a valve cover which is really clean waiting to go on. I think about asking if that one you have is still available now and again though. Good to know that it's still around.

If I remember correctly, on my car I just ran the fuel line directly to the carb. The line coming off the separator was a return line, which I didn't use. I looked up the separator in the service manual, and based on reading that, and discussions with Billy Lofink, who had removed it from his Turismo, I took it off.

I thought I'd mention the valve cover. It is something I should put on ebay but I really detest selling parts so it continues to gather dust in my basement.

cordes
08-28-2012, 09:48 PM
I'll look into doing that very soon then. Did you just cap off the return line at the strut tower?

ScottD
08-29-2012, 09:00 AM
I'll look into doing that very soon then. Did you just cap off the return line at the strut tower?

I initially capped the return line. I found though that wasn't letting the tank breath. Pressure was building up in the tank and gas started seeping out the cap. So what I did was just run a hose off the return line and had it poke through into the wheelwell so vapors were venting not into the engine bay.

cordes
08-29-2012, 08:13 PM
I initially capped the return line. I found though that wasn't letting the tank breath. Pressure was building up in the tank and gas started seeping out the cap. So what I did was just run a hose off the return line and had it poke through into the wheelwell so vapors were venting not into the engine bay.

OK, that's what I was thinking at the time. It's basically like the canister purge deal once you uncap it.

cordes
09-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I've been polishing the wheels some with mixed results. I did some tuning today with the carb and it's running a little better, but I think I have some more work to do.

minigts
10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I think I'm just going to come up there and paint that car while you're at school one day. I want to paint that joker SOOOO BAD!!! Glad you're getting it going though and making progress!

cordes
10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I think I'm just going to come up there and paint that car while you're at school one day. I want to paint that joker SOOOO BAD!!! Glad you're getting it going though and making progress!

Thanks. I want to make sure that I have everything how I want it before the car gets paint. When this car is painted it'll be the whole 9 yards.

black86glhs
10-03-2012, 10:29 PM
You'll never get 9 yards of paint on an L-body.....no way.:p

cordes
10-03-2012, 11:27 PM
You'll never get 9 yards of paint on an L-body.....no way.:p

It'll be 17 coats.

black86glhs
10-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Winner!!!!

cordes
03-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Well my patience with the AFMD has just about worn out. I picked up a wiring harness from a 90' Shadow and that'll go in the car for this year. A little wiring and I should have my first high compression turbo car on my hands. My only real goal is to have it running and driving for the summer. Anything above that is a bonus.

minigts
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Let me known when you want to paint it. We'll get it done.

cordes
03-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Here is a scan of the 86' L body bulk head connector. I think I'll go ahead and buy some spade terminals so that I can avoid soldering all of the wires to the old ones.

I think I'll also relay the lights etc. What fuse block is the hot ticket these days? IIRC One off of a Mitsubishi is pretty small, same for the Fords?

ScottD
03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
You're giving up on the carb?

cordes
03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
You're giving up on the carb?

I believe so. I did a cost analysis of rebuilding the carb vs. getting a separate wiring harness to use what I have lying around. The AFMD didn't come out on the winning side of the equation. The real moment that sealed the fate was when I needed to move the omni around in really cold weather recently. It took some doing as the car doesn't like to run well when it's cold outside. 5 minutes worth of work and I can have a MPFI cal that'll do better than hours upon hours I've spent with a carb.

ScottD
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
That's too bad. I really good luck with the Weber on my Turismo in all kinds of weather. The 32/36 DFEV is down to $199 brand new at Weber carbs direct. To me the main benefit of the carb'd car was not having all those electronics and sensors to worry about.

cordes
03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
That's too bad. I really good luck with the Weber on my Turismo in all kinds of weather. The 32/36 DFEV is down to $199 brand new at Weber carbs direct. To me the main benefit of the carb'd car was not having all those electronics and sensors to worry about.

Dang, that's a really good deal for sure. There are definitely a lot of positives in the carb column, but since I'm not trying to keep this thing in its natural SCCA class any longer I'll just use what I have and what I know. It'll be cheap and the performance increase will be astronomical.

black86glhs
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Brian, I have a spare 1st gen neon pdc if you want it. It isn't huge but has plenty of room to expand if you decide to upgrade the other solenoids now or later. Let me know if you are interested. I'll just send it to you. Otherwise, I'm going to just toss it out. I don't need it.

cordes
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Brian, I have a spare 1st gen neon pdc if you want it. It isn't huge but has plenty of room to expand if you decide to upgrade the other solenoids now or later. Let me know if you are interested. I'll just send it to you. Otherwise, I'm going to just toss it out. I don't need it.

I have one here otherwise I would take you up on that. Thanks for the offer though. I'm going to look at my options before I decide which way to go. The Neon PDC has a lot of relay space so that is pretty attractive. I plan on relaying the high and low beams along with the fogs, and I would like to put the starter and other relays there too for a cleaner look.

I'll be running the wiring across the front of the car to the lights like Jon did in his cars and I'll also be moving the solenoids over to the driver's side of the car. I'm on Mouser right now trying to find a connector which will allow me to have one or two connectors to free the engine from the main harness.

cordes
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Here is a link to a google document with the 40 way connector documented. I'll add the scan to my gallery too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgklJDN9deGpdFBEc2FmaVJQSXdGS210cGtpMDh2Y Xc&usp=sharing

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/975/00215.jpg

cordes
03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have a 91' FSM which they could can the 60 way connector page for me? Is it different than the 90' connector? I'm assuming that everything is pretty much the same but it would be nice to be sure.

fishcleaner
03-18-2013, 12:52 AM
The bulkhead terminals are still available, I wish I had the part # handy, I think this is it, not 100% sure tho
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/CT647/N0214.oap?ck=Search_N0214_-1_-1&pt=N0214&ppt=C0189

minigts
03-18-2013, 01:02 AM
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/O_E_M_Terminals_Shells_s/259.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=259&show=45&page=1&search=%20chysler I would get them here. Probably close to the same price when you include shipping, but they have lots of other connectors that can be used because they are similar to the Chrysler ones.

cordes
03-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the leads Jon. I'm pretty sure that the connectors are 1/4" so that seems to be the ticket.

roachjuice
03-19-2013, 09:27 AM
What's wrong with the carb setup?

cordes
03-19-2013, 09:52 PM
What's wrong with the carb setup?

Too finicky for my taste. There's nothing like turning the key and going the way you can with the EFI stuff.

cordes
03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I've been working on the wiring harness off and on for a week now. It's hard to come back to a wiring project and work in small spurts because it takes a few minutes to figure out where everything is going each time you sit down.

It certainly would be going much faster if I weren't trying to avoid cutting anything out of the harness at all. I don't think I actually have a whole component out of it yet, but there are individual wires running all over the place. I'll try to get some pics up later today.

minigts
03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
I remember when I did mine, stripped an 89 Daytona harness down to the bare bones. It was amazing what was in it you don't need. Good luck with that man!

cordes
03-25-2013, 04:42 PM
I remember when I did mine, stripped an 89 Daytona harness down to the bare bones. It was amazing what was in it you don't need. Good luck with that man!

Thanks. I'll certainly be needing the moral support. It will go back together much more quickly than it gets taken apart if I had to guess. Once you know what you actually need and where it needs to go things get a lot easier.

minigts
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I'll certainly be needing the moral support. It will go back together much more quickly than it gets taken apart if I had to guess. Once you know what you actually need and where it needs to go things get a lot easier.

The manuals help a little too. :)

cordes
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
The manuals help a little too. :)

yeah, the 86 harness will be easy since I have the manual. The 91' is a different story though since I only have the 90' FSM there were a lot of connector differences between the two years but I can decipher most of it with just wire color so far.

cordes
03-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I think I have most of the unneeded things out of the harness now. I'm still thinking about going with a large connector or two so that I can remove the engine with just two plugs pulled.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P32502831.JPG

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/P3250001.JPG

cordes
03-25-2013, 09:59 PM
I may go with the Delphi GT280 series connectors it looks like they can be had with terminals that will go from 22ga to 12ga making them pretty much ideal for what I'm thinking of.

chrisn
04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
This is for a 91, don't know if it is different from a 90

cordes
04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks a ton. I think I got most of them figured out, but this is most certainly a welcomed addition to the info I have. Thanks again.

roachjuice
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Too finicky for my taste. There's nothing like turning the key and going the way you can with the EFI stuff.

You know I was really tempted to ask if you wanted to trade my old hybrid setup Omni for your carbed GLH :-) I doubt you would have done it though lol

cordes
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
You know I was really tempted to ask if you wanted to trade my old hybrid setup Omni for your carbed GLH :-) I doubt you would have done it though lol

Yeah, there is so little rust on the underside of this thing I'm going to hold on to it for a while at least. My dad was darn tempted to come and take it off your hands actually, but you were just a little too far away from him.

minigts
04-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm SOOO ready to get this car stripped down and sanded, primed and painted!

chrisn
04-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks a ton. I think I got most of them figured out, but this is most certainly a welcomed addition to the info I have. Thanks again.

No problem, if you need any others i'd be glad to post them.

cordes
05-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I finally got back to the JY today. I went DJ style and picked up a Ford power distribution center out of a crown vic. It does look really nice and should be much easier to adapt than the Neon block. I did notice that Ford only had yellow and red wire available when putting these things together though. Yikes.

minigts
05-12-2013, 02:27 AM
Good deal man. Hope that goes well regardless of the lack of colored wire. :)

Khajjathefang
05-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Mount that cam already dammit! lol

cordes
05-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Mount that cam already dammit! lol

That will be changed out when the head it pulled and turbo is installed.

I checked the terminals on the fuse block and wonder if I'll be able to find any of those. I just can't seem to find these things easily.

cordes
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I really think all of the PDC terminals aren't available just to spite me.

zin
05-14-2013, 01:13 PM
They have to be ... after all, Ford has to buy them from someone!

Mike

85boostbox
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
I have a 95 neon pdc center. If you need it pay shipping and its yours

cordes
05-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I have a 95 neon pdc center. If you need it pay shipping and its yours

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to give this Ford unit a try. I think I'll actually be able to source some terminals eventually if for no other reason than the aftermarket picks them up.

They have to be ... after all, Ford has to buy them from someone!

Mike

If only I could find out who they got them from I'd be all set! The Neon ones are apparently unavailable from anywhere though so who knows about these?

fishcleaner
05-18-2013, 12:09 AM
While you are wiring the good Techflex split expandable braided sleeving has come down in price to compete with the normal corrugated split loom. I got some from FURRYLETTERS on Ebay, nice stuff, I wish it was available when I did my harness.

cordes
05-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into that for sure. It certainly would be nice to keep a little more heat at bay and look nice too.

fishcleaner
05-18-2013, 12:47 AM
^ Not so much heat protection but superior chafe resistance and the stuff looks awsome. I used harness tape to make mine but it is a real PIA to alter the wiring or add new, the split loom is great for that.

cordes
05-18-2013, 12:59 AM
^ Not so much heat protection but superior chafe resistance and the stuff looks awsome. I used harness tape to make mine but it is a real PIA to alter the wiring or add new, the split loom is great for that.

I checked their site and they had a bunch of options. Looks like it's time to do a little reading I guess.

cordes
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I have the harness out of the car and I'm pulling it apart now. I'm going to have a huge pile of wires for the parts bin when this whole thing is done.

minigts
05-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Lay that joker out and get it done!

fishcleaner
05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
I have the harness out of the car and I'm pulling it apart now. I'm going to have a huge pile of wires for the parts bin when this whole thing is done.
GoJo or any other hand cleaner made for grease cleans up wires real nice without damaging them.

cordes
05-24-2013, 10:03 PM
GoJo or any other hand cleaner made for grease cleans up wires real nice without damaging them.

Thanks for the tip. That's usually what I do actually. I'm really quite surprised at how clean the Omni harness is. I'll clean up the Shadow harness, graft them together and then I'll be ready for the PDC to go in.

I did get the Omni harness down to the bare essentials today. I'm going to have the fog lights on whenever the head lights are on I think. I will be relaying all three sets of lights so I might as well do that.

cordes
05-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I stripped the Ford PDC down today and then started researching what size maxi fuse to use for the fusible link replacement. Of course Minimopar already has that done for me. Quite convenient.

http://www.minimopar.net/electrical-links.html

minigts
05-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I stripped the Ford PDC down today and then started researching what size maxi fuse to use for the fusible link replacement. Of course Minimopar already has that done for me. Quite convenient.

http://www.minimopar.net/electrical-links.html

Been there, done that. That is what I used to wire mine up.

cordes
05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
I think I'll pull the head and swap the manifolds tomorrow. Then I can test fit the harness in the car with everything in place and also find a spot for the PDC.

minigts
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I think I'll pull the head and swap the manifolds tomorrow. Then I can test fit the harness in the car with everything in place and also find a spot for the PDC.

Man, I want some pictures of this darn thing! Wish I could come up to help.

cordes
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
It's none too impressive right now. I have to solder the wires of the two harness where they need to go. I also need to make an injector harness. I have been swapping out everything with Packard connectors though. It makes things look much nicer and the fact that they're sealed and much easier to connect is a huge bonus.

cordes
09-22-2013, 09:33 PM
OK, it's time to get this car going again. All I really need to do is get a fuel system going, install a clutch, and then finish off the electrical. Now to decide what fuel pump to use. I need an L body specific turbo fuel pump hanger correct? Would it be better to install some other fuel pumping contraption? I really don't want to spend $200 for a new FP/hanger only to cut the FP out of it before installation.

I'm thinking about running a section of PTFE hose up to the front of the car too so that would require enough modification of the hanger to make it pretty well custom any way.

wallace
09-23-2013, 12:40 PM
If you have the carb setup I would just use the existing pickup assembly and install an external pump under the car.

cordes
09-23-2013, 08:00 PM
If you have the carb setup I would just use the existing pickup assembly and install an external pump under the car.

I've thought about that, but I haven't run an external pump before. What are the main drawbacks?

minigts
09-23-2013, 09:30 PM
OK, it's time to get this car going again. All I really need to do is get a fuel system going, install a clutch, and then finish off the electrical. Now to decide what fuel pump to use. I need an L body specific turbo fuel pump hanger correct? Would it be better to install some other fuel pumping contraption? I really don't want to spend $200 for a new FP/hanger only to cut the FP out of it before installation.

I'm thinking about running a section of PTFE hose up to the front of the car too so that would require enough modification of the hanger to make it pretty well custom any way.

I've been saying this for a year! We need to get this thing painted! Weather is good now, we can get that thing knocked out in a couple of weeks, no problem.

cordes
09-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm going to get it on the road first. I've decided I need to get it mobile or get rid of it. It's been sitting in the garage for over three years with only a couple of exceptions.

wallace
09-26-2013, 08:27 AM
No downside to running the external fuel pump that I know of. If it fails no need to mess with the tank at all just pinch the lines off and remove. Only downside I can think of would be noise.

zin
09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Electric pumps don't "suck" so well, so run it as low and close to the tank as possible to limit priming issues. Ideally you'd run a bigger pickup, but I imagine this isn't going to be a racecar, so you'll likely be fine.

Mike

PS. I ran one on my GLHS and it was fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Electric pumps don't "suck" so well, so run it as low and close to the tank as possible to limit priming issues. Ideally you'd run a bigger pickup, but I imagine this isn't going to be a racecar, so you'll likely be fine.

Mike

PS. I ran one on my GLHS and it was fine.

cordes
10-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Since my last update I've put the old GL chapter club car head on the block. It has a stock two piece intake on it and a ported exhaust manifold.

Today I took the FP off of the block and installed a block off plate. Next step is the electronics I guess.

cordes
11-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Work continued on the car since last update. The SBEC harness has been integrated into the L body harness. I need to hook up the fuse block next. I need to decide if I'm going to use the Ford one or the Neon one. I have more connectors for the Ford block, but the Neon block has 6 relay spots. We'll see which one ends up happening I guess.

Once I'm done with that I'll just need to drop the motor back in and send the wires to where they need to be on the motor. There is a little light at the end of the tunnel at this point.

zin
11-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Any particular reason why you are choosing between those particular power distribution blocks?

I picked up one from a 94 GTC, thinking it would meld easier into the older harness, hopefully with wire colors "lining up".

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Any particular reason why you are choosing between those particular power distribution blocks?

I picked up one from a 94 GTC, thinking it would meld easier into the older harness, hopefully with wire colors "lining up".

Mike

cordes
11-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Mainly because I have both. Unfortunately, it seems as though both blocks were never meant to be serviceable from the factory so I cannot locate the proper terminals for them. That is a real downer in my book and I'm half way thinking of going to an aftermarket block to solve that problem.

zin
11-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I hate that, they have to exist, and are out there, if only we knew the right description! Need to ask someone who'd know... fresh out of automotive electrical engineers though!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I hate that, they have to exist, and are out there, if only we knew the right description! Need to ask someone who'd know... fresh out of automotive electrical engineers though!

Mike

cordes
11-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I searched pretty darn hard for the neon ones and then did a fair search for the Ford ones. I just couldn't come up with anything.

zin
11-25-2013, 12:47 AM
It seems like it's not knowing the vernacular! If we knew the right words to search for, we'd find them.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like it's not knowing the vernacular! If we knew the right words to search for, we'd find them.

Mike

cordes
11-26-2013, 10:23 PM
I've tried just about everything and even spoken with a couple of folks as supply places. Terminal supply and another place said that they couldn't get them, but I'm sure that there must be some place that is a big wholesaler, but would sell me a quantity at least.

wallace
12-04-2013, 11:08 AM
You can service the Ford blocks. I bought one block out of the junkyard and disassembled several more while I was there and removed the terminals. Once I got my diagram sorted out I populated what I needed in the block using the existing terminals and the extra's I took out of the others.

cordes
12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
You can service the Ford blocks. I bought one block out of the junkyard and disassembled several more while I was there and removed the terminals. Once I got my diagram sorted out I populated what I needed in the block using the existing terminals and the extra's I took out of the others.

I know you can remove and replace the terminals. What I really need to do is find new terminals for the various size wire. The Ford block that I pulled from the yard doesn't have enough large gauge wires to do the whole thing for the Omni so I would really like to find a source for the terminals themselves.

cordes
12-15-2013, 07:58 PM
I give up. I'll be taking a trip to the JY soon to get another fuse block or two. I searched for hours today and couldn't find anywhere on the internet where folks with the same question I have could find the right terminals.

minigts
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
I know this stinks. Reusing anything like that has the potential to be problematic in the long run and very time consuming to reuse them. For what it's worth, I do what i can to insert something sharp like a pin into the end where the copper wire is connected for the terminal to be reused. From there I do what I can to remove stands of the wire, eventually removing enough to insert a tool to open the terminal up a bit. From there, I open it enough to slip the new wire in, crimp and if necessary, add some solder for strength.

I'd love to get a lead on some terminals for the power distribution blocks so I could pull the one of my liking and implement without having to rig it up like this.

fishcleaner
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Anything here help?
http://autorewire.ecrater.com/c/1168874/centech-wiring-products

cordes
12-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately not. I'm looking for the actual connectors which are designed to go into modern power distribution centers. I can't find them for the life of me. Thanks for looking though.

zin
12-17-2013, 02:02 AM
I've got a hail Mary in with one of our electrical suppliers, slim, but possible.

cordes
12-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I've got a hail Mary in with one of our electrical suppliers, slim, but possible.

This would be quite the Christmas for the people of the internet if they can come up with something.

zin
12-23-2013, 06:32 PM
While I haven't had enough time to look at this stuff thoroughly, a quick glance suggest we may have found something here: http://www.powerandsignal.com/default.aspx

Looks like Delphi has quite a few, lessor known, connection systems... some of the pins shown in the PDFs look to be similar to not only the power distribution, but also SMEC/SBEC connectors...

I don't have the stuff handy to measure, so hopefully someone else can "run the ball up field"...

Mike

cordes
12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I've spoken with one of their reps, but they stated that they didn't have anything. I'll look on that site again and take some measurements then compare. There is a lot of stuff out there that is really close, but won't quite fit well.

cordes
04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
I have the motor technically in the car. I also have most of the wiring harness and fuse block done. I still need to run the harness to where it needs to go and finalize everything in that department. There are countless hours to go, but at least people won't think I'm some nut with a ball of wires under the hood anymore.

minigts
04-21-2014, 12:13 AM
What fuse box are you using? Did you look into the ones we talked about that are aftermarket? Did that go anywhere?

cordes
04-21-2014, 01:48 AM
What fuse box are you using? Did you look into the ones we talked about that are aftermarket? Did that go anywhere?

I'm using one out of a 94 Lebaron. The ones you linked to look awesome and that's what I'll probably go with on the CSX. I haven't looked into them other than the specs though.

The relay type blocks on the 90 (at least) and later cars are the same connector that is used in the fuse blocks at least through the 1st gen neon. That's what I've been using to put everything together. The trouble is that you need so many terminals to make everything work when you're relaying the headlights, fog lights, and then putting all the relays in the block too. It's coming together quite well though. Get ready for some good updates to this thread by tomorrow.

blk86trbo
04-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Looking forward to some pictures, sounds really nice!

cordes
04-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Looking forward to some pictures, sounds really nice!

If a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm not sure what this is worth. Perhaps 75 of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2AdWdZe52w

CoolV300C
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Doing a lot of work on that. You aren't intending to keep it after?

cordes
04-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Doing a lot of work on that. You aren't intending to keep it after?

Probably not. I'll most likely just make sure that it's going to a good home. It's weak link will for sure be the trans.

minigts
04-21-2014, 11:31 AM
What trans? The 525. Brian, we both know that thing is bullet proof. MUST I run my car with one AGAIN at SDAC and drive it home for it to ever be accepted?!

blk86trbo
04-21-2014, 04:33 PM
"We're not sagging our pants, we're sagging our hoods"

Hahaha that line had my whole family laughing...classic!

cordes
04-21-2014, 04:48 PM
What trans? The 525. Brian, we both know that thing is bullet proof. MUST I run my car with one AGAIN at SDAC and drive it home for it to ever be accepted?!

I double dog dare you.

"We're not sagging our pants, we're sagging our hoods"

Hahaha that line had my whole family laughing...classic!

Thanks. It was getting late and I was getting pretty wild. The stuff I cut out was totally nonsensical.

minigts
04-21-2014, 04:52 PM
I double dog dare you.

Thanks. It was getting late and I was getting pretty wild. The stuff I cut out was totally nonsensical.

I have too much invested in the 555 to not use it. ;)

cordes
04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
I have too much invested in the 555 to not use it. ;)

That's for sure.

fishcleaner
04-22-2014, 12:47 AM
If that video doesn't scream Omni, I don't know what does. Nice job and nice project.

cordes
04-22-2014, 08:36 PM
If that video doesn't scream Omni, I don't know what does. Nice job and nice project.

Thanks!

Here is another one which shows the progress I made last Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZBn2vLBs4

GLHS60
04-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Maybe spice things up with a bit of M-M action, that thread seemed to die off.

Thanks
Randy

cordes
04-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Maybe spice things up with a bit of M-M action, that thread seemed to die off.

Thanks
Randy

I definitely need to take some more pics and videos at my grandmother's place and update that thread. I thought there would be a bit more action on that front from others, but not so much yet.

fishcleaner
04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
I had a flash back to the Red Green Show watching that, hahahaha. I'm sure that video is going to help some people out, when I did mine I couldn't find any info on it. Use marine grade heat shrink tubing, it is coated on the inside with hot melt glue & seals and strengthens the connection. I also wrapped mine with harness tape with an 1/8" wood dowel as a backbone just in the fuel rail area to keep the wires from flailing around. Split mesh wire loom has really come down in price, I like that much better than the plastic conduit.

cordes
04-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I'll be wrapping the whole deal in the split mesh stuff. I am designing the harness to run to various strain relief points too. It took me so long to get the fuse block going that I have had a lot of time to think about the little things.

ETA: Thanks for mentioning Red Green. I was actually thinking about him narrating over the guys doing stuff while he is explaining what's going on.

cordes
05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
I've got the majority of the harness cut, spliced and in place now. I just need to finish off the wiring for the J2 and Z1 circuits for the most part. That and finishing off some relays will have it ready for some fuel to be delivered somehow.

cordes
06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Time for a little update. There is not much left to do wiring wise. I need to get the headlights wired up along with the MAP, AIS and TPS. I need a fuel pump and lines too. That should not be bad though. Here is a video showing the most recent progress. I'll have another one showing the turbo that will be installed next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eX4YKbfYCo&feature=youtu.be

cordes
06-02-2014, 12:52 AM
I decided to document the physical installation of the turbo separately since it's going to be such a pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLRHxcGbn4A

ShelGame
02-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Any updates?

minigts
02-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Please don't give us excuses about babies.....

nowhereman
02-27-2015, 09:17 PM
:bump2:progress?

cordes
02-28-2015, 03:33 PM
It's very close to done. I have a slight turbo clearance issue and then the sensors need to be mounted. nothing too big at this point except for the IC and alt mounting.

With no heat in the garage it has been much too cold to work on it. There is also a serious baby delay right now.

nowhereman
02-28-2015, 06:59 PM
It's very close to done. I have a slight turbo clearance issue and then the sensors need to be mounted. nothing too big at this point except for the IC and alt mounting.

With no heat in the garage it has been much too cold to work on it. There is also a serious baby delay right now.

three hours north of you and we are having a heat wave at -9 degrees

ShelGame
02-28-2015, 07:23 PM
There is also a serious baby delay right now.

Yeah, from what I recall, making babies is often more fun than building cars...

85boostbox
03-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah, from what I recall, making babies is often more fun than building cars...
Indeed... And cost about the same hehe

nowhereman
03-01-2015, 08:15 AM
priorities.. use it now one day it will be useless LOL

cordes
03-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Got out in the garage for a few hours over the last couple of weeks. Turbo is on and so is the top half of the two piece now. I started cutting out a spot for the IC tonight. I hope to have that in tomorrow.

ShadowFromHell
03-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Love the build. I wish I had your motivation.

cordes
03-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Love the build. I wish I had your motivation.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to work on it as much as possible now that the weather has broken. As an added bonus I don't have to change diapers if I'm out there.

Here is a shot of the car as I left it tonight. The IC is pretty much in. I need to finish that off and then get the alternator installed. After that it will be time to fit a full size rad and some ducting. With the IC pipes in place I'll do the last of the wiring to make sure that it won't need to be moved after I terminate everything.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/889/medium/IMG_0381resized.jpg

This is a big project, but there is a hint of light at the end of the tunnel.

fishcleaner
03-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Valve cover looks good.

cordes
03-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Valve cover looks good.

Thanks. I've got a little bit of time into polishing that to say the least.

ShelGame
04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Hey Cordes, can you snap me a pic of how you mounted your solenoids?

This is the car you put them on the left side, right?

cordes
04-06-2015, 10:04 PM
They aren't mounted permanently yet. They will go on the left side of the car where the relays were. Since I'm going with a PDC it fees up all the space on the strut tower. For some reason I think I zip tied two of them together, but I'll have to look again. I want to get all of the IC piping etc. in place before I finalize all of the wiring in case I need to run them over or under a pipe.

ShelGame
04-06-2015, 10:44 PM
They aren't mounted permanently yet. They will go on the left side of the car where the relays were. Since I'm going with a PDC it fees up all the space on the strut tower. For some reason I think I zip tied two of them together, but I'll have to look again. I want to get all of the IC piping etc. in place before I finalize all of the wiring in case I need to run them over or under a pipe.

I was going to put the PDC there. where were you going to put it?

cordes
04-06-2015, 11:35 PM
I was thinking about putting it right behind the battery like in the Neons. It would be a tight squeeze there for sure. I had everything laid out in there, but it's not finalized. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the air filter etc. so I tried to keep a few options open. Now I think I'll put the air filter over on the pass side and run a pipe across to the turbo. That should help out some right by the battery.

ShelGame
04-07-2015, 10:08 AM
I hadn't even thought about the air filter yet. Doh!

L-body engine bays are really tight...

EDIT: Looking at RGL10's build log, it looks like he has 2 solenoids mounted to the strut tower, maybe a MBC, too? Can't tell what it is exactly. He's got a lot going on in that engine bay. I want to run the same I/C he has; and it looks like he was able to get a Ford air filter and housing in there behind the battery. Looks like there would even be enough room for the PDC still.

cordes
11-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Made some progress today. Nothing too breathtaking, but it didn't cost me too much and it'll work.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/746/23325914481_3f3017a028_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BxepHk)IMG_4025 (https://flic.kr/p/BxepHk) by Brian Cordes (https://www.flickr.com/photos/134900715@N08/), on Flickr

johnl
11-30-2015, 05:55 PM
I love that alternator adjuster.

cordes
12-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I got it from March if I'm not mistaken. It didn't come cheap for what it is IMO, but it'll do the job. I could have done a better job making the bracket for the head, but other than that I'm fairly happy with it.

johnl
12-02-2015, 03:59 PM
For my Santa Fe Springs Blue GLHT, I also had to make room for the same or similar Spearco intercooler. So, after swapping the original alternator out for a Nippon Denso, I sectioned the 2.5 common block type "push to tighten" type bracket to suck it in tighter to the block.

I like your adjuster because it's easier to get to, no need for an extension and swivel/wobble through that little hole in the upper core support.

- - - Updated - - -

For my Santa Fe Springs Blue GLHT, I also had to make room for the same or similar Spearco intercooler. So, after swapping the original alternator out for a Nippon Denso, I sectioned the 2.5 common block type "push to tighten" type bracket to suck it in tighter to the block.

I like your adjuster because it's easier to get to, no need for an extension and swivel/wobble through that little hole in the upper core support.

cordes
03-25-2016, 10:05 PM
OK, I'm ditching the Lebaron/Daytona/etc. PDC and going with a 1st gen Neon unit. The pins are the same for the PDC, but the Neon unit has a lot more internal bus action going on which will really cut down on the number of wires and JY terminals I'll have to reuse. Thanks to Rbryant for posting up the neon PDC schematics a long while back. Between those and the stuff I could easily search for, I'm all set for identification and routing in the box. Now I jsut have to match everything up with the 90 SBEC wiring that's now in my 86 GLH-soon-to-be-T. This whole deal makes me think I could have probably lived with the fusible links and has me feeling like Johnny Cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

stewdaddy23
04-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Why is the alternator mounted up vice down, looked but couldn't find a reason?

cordes
04-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Why is the alternator mounted up vice down, looked but couldn't find a reason?

You can scoot the rad over more doing that. It makes all the difference when running one of the same side Spearco ICs.