PDA

View Full Version : Removing Mold

bakes
02-09-2010, 11:25 PM
To make a story short i put my vert away for the winter i bought new car cover that was breathable or so they calmed . Well i went to check on it today and the interior has gone moldy. :(:mad: Just want to see what ever one else is using to clean and treat with .
I'm not looking forward to the clean up.

fuzz's84Daytona
02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Put alittle vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray down and let sit but not dry. Come back and use rags or paper towels and then follow up with your favorite car products.

91lebaronvert
02-17-2010, 01:59 PM
and figuure out the source of the moisture

bakes
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
It is from the car cover traping in moisture.

turbovanmanČ
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
It is from the car cover traping in moisture.

No, its called being a convertible and one made by Dodge, at that, :lol::lol::lol:

Thought you were leaving?

89ShelbyGuy
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
those "breathable" car cover are a joke....it took me forever to find a decent car cover...i found one at advanced auto...they hav a lining of thin plastic to keep out any rain...all those fabric one just will soak the rain up and will be wet for a long...long time...

jonnyb
02-17-2010, 07:18 PM
My shadow vert is like that too and every spring when I pull it out of storage it's nasty! I tried mold/mildew killers and cleaners, and by far the best thing I found (finally this spring after about 6 years of using other crap) is good old Lysol spray. It doesn't stain or leave any residue and I just sprayed it all over the place and a day later almost all of the mold/mildew was dead and gone. I then used Lysol wipes to get the little remaining thicker, more stubborn stuff off and then resprayed the interior again with the aerosol Lysol just to make sure it was all cleaned up.

Have fun! :)

Mopar318
02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Car covers are the devil. Dont ever use them, when the car is inside it doesn't do anything but harm. Even outside, its leaves a nice place for mice to live.

2.216VTurbo
02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
A TC Masi bud of mine uses hydrogen Peroxide mixed 50/50 with water then conditions the leather after it dries out. Never had to deal with mold in semi-arid SoCal tho...

raccoon
02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
without reading the post or any of the tread, the best way to remove mold is with fire.

upon reading stuff, yup fire. mold is forever.

91lebaronvert
02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
unless its outside no way should it get that damp.

bakes
02-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Yes it was parked under my back porch with my other cars for winter only the LS was inside.

Nemesismachine
02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm with Raccoon on this one, looks like fire is the only way to make sure you get all of it. Make sure you cover the whole interior with it, otherwise the mold may come back.

Marcus86GLHS
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
a mixture of 1 part Clorox Outdoors (available at Lowes) to 4 parts water. spray and let stand for 15 minutes, clean with cold water then your favorite treatment.

if i had a car stored outside, i would not use a car cover. but indoors they are very effective at blocking dust and sunlight.

Turbodave
02-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I've used a diluted mixture of simple green to clean mold out of a GLH interior before and it worked well.

As far as car covers, I find they do a good job of protecting the car when indoors, with a tight garage it's nice to have some protection against the car getting bumped or scratched if I'm walking past it or parking next to it.

Outside I use them to hide the ugly parts cars in the driveway, keeps the neighbors happier.

turbodaytona87
02-19-2010, 09:43 PM
This is a preventative step, but how about using bags of desiccant meant for car storage. This will absorb moisture.

Sounds bad, but my Walmart car cover actually does a nice job of keeping out moisture. Even with snow sitting on the cover and melting/freezing, hardly any gets under the cover. I let mine dry out every so often tho.