PDA

View Full Version : Shims, bearings, races, oh my...

DodgeZ
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
What’s the best way to pull bearing races? I am working on shimming up this OBX. It is looking like I’ll need to shim the tail shaft side. What is the best way to pull it all apart and not tear up race and the oil baffle?

Boogieman142
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
to pull bearing races, sometimes you can use a punch and hammer, other times you need one of those bearing race pullers. Usually you can get away with the punch and hammer.

Anonymous_User
05-30-2006, 02:01 AM
The best way to pull a bearing race is to weld a bead around the inside of it. As the weld cools, the race contracts and just falls out. Of course, you won't be re-using the race this way!!

20w/ashelby
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
we have race pullers here at school and theyre amazing. Not a bad invesment.

Clay
05-30-2006, 11:24 AM
The best way to pull a bearing race is to weld a bead around the inside of it. As the weld cools, the race contracts and just falls out. Of course, you won't be re-using the race this way!!

I was going to say the same thing until he said he wanted to reuse them!! This method does work wonderfully though!

DodgeZ
05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I have new races but when you shim it up and check the preload it maybe off. So I maybe have to pull it back out to change the shims around.

TurboJerry
06-01-2006, 04:19 AM
Shims go in the steel housing. Put slinger and seal in after the correct shim is figured out. If you want to get the race out of the alum housing anyway, use a map gas torch and heat the housing *evenly* around the bearing end while being supported at the very edges of the housing on a vise. Keep on doing this and viola, the race *falls* out. Hehehe, I love that trick.......