PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging a Honda? Help

BoostedDrummer
02-09-2010, 02:28 AM
This question is mainly to help out a friend of mine at work. He's got a 1994 Honda Civic. Engine is a D16, 1.6L SOHC VTEC. Originally, his plans were to get a B20 engine and an Si tranny and swap that in but after hearing about my Omni GLH that I'm building up and my projected power levels, he's leaning toward turbocharging his current engine and I'm all for it. Any boosted Honda is A-O-K in my book:thumb:.

Anyways, i'm having some trouble fguring out all what he would need. I'm wondering if I should suggest to him buying a kit or getting the individual pieces to it from eBay or something. I looked up some of the parts and I found that a turbo header for the D16 is only $66. I just dont know what turbo should be mapped to his engine, what pistons he might need, injectors, if he'll need a new cam, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This guy is really cool and would rather have his car look like sh*t and have the ability to annihilate Camaro's and Mustang's than have it look like your typical rice mobile and perform like the lot.:D

Mopar318
02-09-2010, 02:48 AM
My buddy did this to a Del sol with a 1.6 sohc. He made the manifold out of stainless weld-l's and used a turbo dodge mitsu turbo he bought from jason on here. Its not really a great engine to make power. On 15 psi his car was still slow.

B20 swap would have alot more power, and be very responsive. Then he could boost that and make lots of power.

turbovanmanČ
02-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Surf Youtube, there are tons of D16 builds, they can make some good power with little mods and basically a stock engine.

Depends on how good your buddy is in fabbing, a kit would most likely be easier but if he can dabble, buy it all in pieces. You'll need to trick the computer or get a modified, Honda data seems to be popular, 57 trim turbo's are also popular, you'll need larger injectors, a bigger fuel pump, adjustable fuel reg and all kinds of odds and ends.

Aries_Turbo
02-09-2010, 01:26 PM
a civic HF manifold is easy to make a turbo manifold out of.

id spend the money on pistons and rods first though.

then go to www.moates.net for ecu reprogramming equipment.

Brian

91blueshelbydaytona
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
well you can use stock pistons rods crank head cam camgear you will need to get arp head studs (so you dont strech the stock head bolts and blow a head gasket) you can use 450cc dsm injectors but you will need to get a resistor box wired in and you will need a 255lph fuel pump atleast you should also get colder plugs then stock ones cause if you dont then you will burn them out really fast. .57 trim turbos are really good turbos to use on d series motors go to youtube and look up epic tunings ef hatch that has a d16z6 in it. it has 420 whp with stock motor it just has a really good tune and arp headstuds it runs 11s. but my buddy has a 92 eg that has a d15 non vtec motor in it with a ebay turbo kit and dsm 450cc injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump with a resistor box out of a 89 crx si and it was running on 8lbs on a .57 trim turbo and it ran 13.8 in a quarter that was all ebay stuff (cheep i think all together he had like 650 $ in turbocharging it the kit included turbo turbo header front mount oil catch can bov external wastegate downpipe boost controler and a turbo timer and fuel pump for 600 then he got a setup of ebay that cam with stock d16 fuel rail with 450cc dsm injectors setup for hondas and a resistor box for 50$ and that was last march and the car is still running strong he just changes the oil every 3 thousand miles with mobil1 10w30 oil and puts z max in it everytime.with 93 octane gas only) it was tuned on neptune with antilag. i am working on a 94 eg with a d16z6 that im turbocharging with a mild build and hopen for mid to low 13s:thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Don't buy a kit, just turbo it on the cheap and use the money saved to buy a B18 or build a B20/B18 hybrid.

He will need head studs though, or he'll be replacing head gaskets regularly. My brother had a B18 w/ a turbo on it, and it would lift the head on 8psi every few months. D16 head bolts are pretty much the same as B18 bolts size wise.

I would buy a B18 on the side and be building it for turbo, while cheap-turboing the D16 till it blows up completely (which won't take long on a high-miles engine, the D's die quickly when hot-rodded).

There should be a few Hondata tunes out there for turbo D16/D15 engines.

91blueshelbydaytona
02-14-2010, 01:12 AM
he can build a nasty d series for the price he will have in swapping a b series into it depending on wat car it is he will have to get a wireing harness and hook it up solid motor mounts an ecu axles shift linkage it would b a ----- to do but it can b done its done alot but d series motors built right will wax b seires he will have about 1200 in swapping it if he gets all good stuff and if he put 1200 into a d it would b crazy there is no need to swap it when you can just build a nasty d

moparfwdsleeper
02-14-2010, 03:00 AM
realhomemadeturbo.com and honda-tech.com would aid you.

there are a few forums ownered and operated by Texians, google them and you'll get local support and help(along with local douchebags lol).

moparfwdsleeper
02-14-2010, 03:01 AM
BTW I vote K20

raccoon
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
yea and I bet you can just buy a mount kit for it too.

D = fail

K = win

B = is just cool with me.

Force Fed Mopar
02-14-2010, 01:30 PM
B or K = Win, D = cheap fun for a a little while :) Only good thing about D's is they are everywhere for cheap.

BoostedDrummer
02-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the input guys but he told me he's gonna save up for a B20 swap instead of a turbo wich is still cool. At least I convinced him to get the engine and everything done first instead of getting a paint job and rims cuz theres really no point in having an expensive paint job and rims on a slow car.

Force Fed Mopar
02-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Good choice :)

paulrichmond
09-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Have you ever seen a Lambo eating the dust of a Del Sol
check this out, I can't believe it too when I heard the whistling sound of the Honda I knew it was turbo charged

http://www.streetfire.net/video/del-sol-vs-lambo_190040.htm

minigts
09-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Someone post that video or picture of the guy who ground down his pistons to have the "cupped". LOL that was awesome. I think Simon posted it one day.

Force Fed Mopar
09-28-2010, 11:29 AM
"where's the zoom on this beast?" lol

My brother outran a Vette w/ his stock B18 LS w/ a turbo in a EG hatch.