PDA

View Full Version : Knock, knock. Who's there? It's me, Bottom End Knock!

Dave
05-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Kind of confused here on what it really is.

Here's the rundown. I've replaced the intermediate shaft after shearing the teeth off last summer. Replaced the oil pump with a Melling, the rod bearings with Clevites. I also took out the balance shafts, cut the chain, and plugged the hole. Bottom end is completely stock with 110,000 miles.

I've been pushing 18-19psi lately and it's been knocking since. Or so I think. Once started it knocks like a bunch of midgets inside my oil pan with little hammers. After warmed up it knocks a lot quieter and a lot less in 1st gear once given gas. If I get into the gas higher and higher the knock goes away. Also, in 3rd gear if I give it some gas it sounds like a chain rattle until I get into the boost.

Any ideas?

BTW this chain rattle has always been there since removing the balance shafts.

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Sounds like good old piston slap or wrist pins are worn.

Dave
05-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Sounds like good old piston slap or wrist pins are worn.

Yay!!!! :cheer2:

Hopefully it'll last me until fall.

What's the weird chain rattle sound that develops only in 3rd gear?

turbovanmanČ
05-30-2006, 01:24 AM
What's the weird chain rattle sound that develops only in 3rd gear?

Not a clue. Need to hear it to be of anymore help.

Dave
05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
How much damage can piston slap cause? I really don't want to rebuild this motor. My goal is to just build the 2.4.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 01:38 AM
How much damage can piston slap cause? I really don't want to rebuild this motor. My goal is to just build the 2.4.

Not much unless it gets really noisey, then the piston can actually rock so bad in the bore, it will break.