PDA

View Full Version : starter ground problem

The S is Silent
05-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I just put the harness back into my charger. It's a SMEC harness from a minivan that was put together by Heath. I went to put the battery in and immediately there was a spark and the starter solenoid clicked but didn't turn over!!!!! But the key was in the off position :yuck:

What do I need to start looking for? I don't have the fuel lines hooked up yet, and I still need to do intercooler and radiator hoses before I can really try to start this thing for real...but I'd really like to figure out what is going on here.

Oh yeah...I need to hook up the ground straps on the back of the intake manifold and the bridge for the passenger side motor mount.

iTurbo
05-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Definately hook up all the grounds first to rule them out as a problem. It sounds like there is a problem with the starter switch circuit from the steering column. It should only be getting +12v (at the relay) when the key is turned to 'start'. The wire is yellow (no tracer) and goes from the ignition switch, through the bulkhead, and to the starter relay. There may be a circuit mismatch in the bulkhead.

The S is Silent
05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Do you know who the guy is on TD that does the wiring harnesses? I want to see if I can get a pinout color diagram for the 89 caravan harness swapped to an l-body so I can spot-check the ignition circuit.

iTurbo
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
http://geocities.com/csx16v/

If you have a voltmeter you could probably track down the problem without them. If the yellow wire is providing the relay with 12v with the ignition is 'off', then there is a problem with the ignition feed or a power feed.

The S is Silent
05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
I sent Mark an e-mail today. I'll check into those two. Time to get the wiring diagrams out!