PDA

View Full Version : The Making of the "GLH-R/T"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Ondonti
10-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Speak of the devil, my Daily turbo started spewing oil into the turbine. I had thought my return line was leaking from a bad USED gasket on the return flange but I guess that was just oil from the housing that kept getting worse until it started smoking.

The nice thing about excessive backpressure causing oil burning in your turbo is that fixing the crankcase problem will fix your leak.

rx2mazda
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Well it seems I have an electrical gremlin to deal with. :mad:

After changing the regulator I thought it fixed the high voltage problem but it came back quick. I swapped in a different regulator and same thing. I went for a little cruise today and when i made a left turn the car lost all power(electrical)and then it came back when i straightened out. Guess i got a bad wire/connection somewhere, Im gonna try to locate the problem manana. Hopefully I dont have to pull to much apart to locate it.

2.216VTurbo
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Whats the big deal, you're not going Nascar and turning left on the track are you:D?

cordes
10-27-2011, 10:59 PM

After changing the regulator I thought it fixed the high voltage problem but it came back quick. I swapped in a different regulator and same thing. I went for a little cruise today and when i made a left turn the car lost all power(electrical)and then it came back when i straightened out. Guess i got a bad wire/connection somewhere, Im gonna try to locate the problem manana. Hopefully I dont have to pull to much apart to locate it.

I feel your pain. Best of luck chasing it down.

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Why should he go to MIR? MIR should come to him.
http://myomniisfasterthanyou.com/

LMAO, :lol:

To quote someone earlier in my thread, "you don't have any luck do you?" :(

I hope you find it, I am having electrical gremlins too, :(

tsiconquest88
10-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Speak of the devil, my Daily turbo started spewing oil into the turbine. I had thought my return line was leaking from a bad USED gasket on the return flange but I guess that was just oil from the housing that kept getting worse until it started smoking.

The nice thing about excessive backpressure causing oil burning in your turbo is that fixing the crankcase problem will fix your leak.

Same thing with my stock t3 turbo, which is why i went holset faster than planned lol.

rx2mazda
10-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Whats the big deal, you're not going Nascar and turning left on the track are you:D?

The big deal is, The voltage problem causes the timing problem which in turn blows up my engine! Plus, I turn left to get the return road.:nod:

I feel your pain. Best of luck chasing it down.

Thanks Cordes

I hope you find it, I am having electrical gremlins too, :(

Thanks!:thumb:

rx2mazda
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
FIXED!

Here is the culprit....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111031_213523.jpg

Starter heat shield broke and was flopping around, it would short out on the solenoid when I turned left sometimes. This is what was taking out the VR. Removed the shield, put a new VR on and everything is golden. Looks like I won't be able to race until Cecil. Looking forward to it!

168glhs1986
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
FIXED!

Here is the culprit....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111031_213523.jpg

Starter heat shield broke and was flopping around, it would short out on the solenoid when I turned left sometimes. This is what was taking out the VR. Removed the shield, put a new VR on and everything is golden. Looks like I won't be able to race until Cecil. Looking forward to it!

Nice Carroll! Sounds like you got it this time. Don't forget to sign up for Cecil.

cordes
11-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Wow. This car is full of fun problems and neat solutions all of which I don't have to worry about. I can't wait to vicariously live through it when the car actually makes it to the track. My hard work will finally pay off. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting Carroll.

Aries_Turbo
11-02-2011, 06:19 AM
those stupid stamped steel starter heat sheilds always break off and short stuff out.

Brian

Pat
11-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Bet that was fun to find...but glad you found it.

Reeves
11-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Funny! I just found out mine was broke a few weeks ago and just took it off.

turboshad
11-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice find Carroll. :thumb: I replaced a starter this year and left the shield on. The screw promptly loosened and fell out so I just ripped the shield out of there. Looks like it was a good move. :)

rx2mazda
11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Nice Carroll! Sounds like you got it this time. Don't forget to sign up for Cecil.

Yeah, I thinks it all good now! I will.

Wow. This car is full of fun problems and neat solutions all of which I don't have to worry about. I can't wait to vicariously live through it when the car actually makes it to the track. My hard work will finally pay off. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting Carroll.

Not sure I fully understand this entire post but thanks. ;)

those stupid stamped steel starter heat sheilds always break off and short stuff out.

Brian

Funny! I just found out mine was broke a few weeks ago and just took it off.

Nice find Carroll. :thumb: I replaced a starter this year and left the shield on. The screw promptly loosened and fell out so I just ripped the shield out of there. Looks like it was a good move. :)

Damn, seems like a common problem huh? If I would have known that before I put the motor in I would have left it off!

Bet that was fun to find...but glad you found it.

Yeah, it was a blast.:banghead:

P.S. See you at Cecil. :eyebrows:

Pat
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
P.S. See you at Cecil. :eyebrows:

Do I detect a bit of trash talking here? :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
LOL, its been "simonized", :lol:

Run the Nippo starter, never worry about overheating starters and heat shields breaking off, :nod:

Reaper1
11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
My started heat shield broke off last year and fried some wires under the hood! Good thing I had the hood open when it happened so I could yank connectors to prevent too much damage!

rx2mazda
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Do I detect a bit of trash talking here? :thumb:

Just a tad lol. While i would love to challenge you on the track - my car just isnt ready for the ScAries. I have zero passes and tuning with this set-up. I'm just looking forward to getting some passes/data so i can build from there and get better. I do have an optimistic goal of 11seconds for my first outing if nothing breaks and stops me from turning the boost up. :D

Pat
11-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Just a tad lol. While i would love to challenge you on the track - my car just isnt ready for the ScAries. I have zero passes and tuning with this set-up. I'm just looking forward to getting some passes/data so i can build from there and get better. I do have an optimistic goal of 11seconds for my first outing if nothing breaks and stops me from turning the boost up. :D

I think she'll be farther along that you think....

cordes
11-03-2011, 07:18 PM

I'm with pat. I actually think your tribulations along the way will pay off big time in the end.

turboshad
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
What fuel will you run? Have you done any high octane tuning?

Reeves
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey you two.....quit being nice!

rx2mazda
11-03-2011, 07:48 PM
What fuel will you run? Have you done any high octane tuning?

Im up to 19psi on 93. I'll probably start out at 15psi and work my way to 20psi on 93. If all is well I will add some C16 and go up to 25. I know you Canadians are a little slow so go back and read my post. :D

Hey you two.....quit being nice!

:lol:

turboshad
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I know you Canadians are a little slow so go back and read my post. :D

Nah, us Canadians just get bored when nothing happens so we tend to skip over things until it looks like something interesting is going on. ;)

turbovanmanČ
11-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Nah, us Canadians just get bored when nothing happens so we tend to skip over things until it looks like something interesting is going on. ;)

Lol, very true.

Murphy
11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
So what was the end result today?

Shadowv4l
11-12-2011, 09:20 PM
well..... saw some blue smoke and heard alot of breaking up going down the track, I wanted to see this thing run its --- off too :(

rx2mazda
11-15-2011, 11:07 AM
So what was the end result today?

well..... saw some blue smoke and heard alot of breaking up going down the track, I wanted to see this thing run its --- off too :(

The end result was not a good day.:( Very first pass ever I took it easy on the launch leaving at 4200 with the boost set to 6lbs at launch and 17lbs after... Car bogged(1.9st)and then took off nicely, short shifted every gear and went through the light at 12.94@111mph. Forgot to hit the datalogger.:( I was happy with that being the first run ever and knowing I bogged and short shifted. Unfortunately, that would be the only clean run of the day.

My next pass, I turned the 2-step up to 5500rpms and the launch boost to 10psi....I wanted my 11(plus Rob had already run a 12.0;)) Dropped the clutch and went nowhere. Got pulled out of the lines, broken passenger side axle. Mike M took me looking for a new one but no dice, I thought my day was done. Then Mike W told me he had a spare and that I could use it! 15-20minutes later I was back in the lanes. Same settings but I babied the launch cause I didn't wanna break another axle....1.8860ft and the car pulled strong through 1st, hit second and it started breaking up bad:confused:. I did datalog this run though and found out where the bog was coming from.....I hit the 2-step when I shifted:banghead:. Pressed the 2-step button deeeper into the shifter.

Let the car cool down a little and got back in the lanes. Same settings, launched a tad harder, 1.8060ft and through first I felt I had a good run going....hit 2nd and car started breaking up really bad, made sure i was off the 2-step, got back in it...still breaking. I put it in 3rd and coasted the rest of the track. Car was bucking and shaking the whole way, thought I hurt something. Datalog showed my voltage spiked to 20.7volts! I thought I had this fixed!

I was able to make it home barely. Car was misfiring the whole way and showing af's between 9.1-11:1 at light cruise. Voltage was back down but I think the spike to almost 21 volts hurt something. I was pretty pissed and I parked the car.

Yesterday, I pulled the alternator and took it to get tested. It FAILED. Replaced it with a new one but the car is still running like crap, super rich. A/F's are all over the place. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what is wrong now.

Big thanks to everyone who lent me a hand. It was glad to finally get the car down the track even though the day didn't go as planned! If I can get it fixed this week, I plan on going back to the track.

Shadow
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
$hitty deal bro, sorry you had such bad luck on your first outing. :( Where did the axel break and which side? Hopefully nothings hurt and you can figure out this gremlin! :)

forcedfedmopar
11-15-2011, 12:20 PM
"Got pulled out of the lines, broken passenger side axle. "

Shitty luck. That car is fighting like no other to stay off the track! Hope you find the issue and get it fixed so we can see what the car will actually do!

Shadow
11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
"Got pulled out of the lines, broken passenger side axle. "

lol Well that answers one of my Q's. :) (need more caffeine for memory to work properly)

Pat
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
$hitty deal bro, sorry you had such bad luck on your first outing. :( Where did the axel break and which side? Hopefully nothings hurt and you can figure out this gremlin! :)

As stated, right side. It broke the shaft where it splines into the CV. I may have a picture of it next to the axle I broke....I'll check when I get home.

rx2mazda
11-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Opps, I wasn't thinking! I broke the drivers side axle. Pat is right about where it broke. I think I am making progress on the voltage problem, I'm gonna wait to be sure......will update when I am postive.

contraption22
11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Just keep turning on lights and plugging in 12v accessories until the voltage gets to an acceptable level.

rx2mazda
11-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Just talked to Bigstuff about my voltage spike. They said I need to send it in because more than likely I damaged something in the ECU with that high a voltage.:( Said it was probably higher than that but the ECU couldn't read that high....which makes sense since the Voltage line goes off the screen in my replay box.

contraption22
11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Just talked to Bigstuff about my voltage spike. They said I need to send it in because more than likely I damaged something in the ECU with that high a voltage.:( Said it was probably higher than that but the ECU couldn't read that high....which makes sense since the Voltage line goes off the screen in my replay box.

Any idea what could have caused it in the first place? I know you were checking the voltage regulator on Saturday.

rx2mazda
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Any idea what could have caused it in the first place? I know you were checking the voltage regulator on Saturday.

Yes, but I wanted to be sure.....

As I said, I took the alternator to Advanced where I bought it from and they tested it and it failed. It is a new lifetime replacement so I got a new one but I kept the $10 core. Taking the Advanced Auto Parts store guys word wasn't something I was gonna do, I NEEDED to know if this was the cause of my voltage issue!

I took the "bad" alternator to a electrical shop that does nothing but rebuild/upgrade alternators and starters. I explained everything to the shop owner and asked him for his opinion. He told me that this alt was regulated by the computer....I explained that I was running an aftermarket computer and I added a external regulator to control it. He asked me what the external regulator was from and I told him the application was a 80 Dodge Omni. He said "Well there is your problem".

Apparently, the older alts have a low field current draw of around 1-2amps which is what the old regulators were meant to handle. My Alt is a high field current draw of around 6-7 amps. He said what happens is once the alt gets going fast, it is too much alt for the older regulator to handle and the field circuit shorts out causing the Voltage to go as high as it can/wants to. He told me to leave him the "bad" alt and he would test it to make sure it was a high amp draw and to see if it really was BAD. He just called me back and told me that the alt was very good and strong and it was a high draw. Thanks Advanced Auto for the free alt! He told me he could add a Voltage regulator to the alt so I wouldn't have this problem again and I could get rid of the external set-up.

Hopefully this is the last of my Voltage problems!

BTW: Rob called me today(owner/driver of the World Fastest Spirit R/T)and said on his last two runs of the day he had voltage issues just like mine but not quite as high. I think he said he saw 18volts on his runs. Guess what, we have the same external regulator and alternator set-up. Seth's TIII GLHS has the internal regulator modification already and guess what? No voltage issues!

rx2mazda
11-15-2011, 06:56 PM
One last thing. He told me I could also keep the external regulator as long as I got one that could handle the current draw. He gave me the info but I decided I would rather get rid of the external regulator(one less thing in my tiny engine bay). Until I take the motor apart though I will run the Heavy Duty VR. Here's the info in case Rob want to get this too.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnoc8313.aspx

You can see in the description for this VR that it says "for 7amp rotors"..,....I never knew there was a difference. :p

turbo2point2
11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Wonder if the cheap version of the VR125 can't handle the 7 amp rotor. Haven't had one issue with the VR125...

Shadow
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Ah ya, this is advanced auto (don't mind the user who's acount we are paying to use in order to reach you on this forum) WE WANT OUR ALTERNATOR BACK YOU F'N SCAMMER! :censored:

turbovanmanČ
11-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, but I wanted to be sure.....

As I said, I took the alternator to Advanced where I bought it from and they tested it and it failed. It is a new lifetime replacement so I got a new one but I kept the $10 core. Taking the Advanced Auto Parts store guys word wasn't something I was gonna do, I NEEDED to know if this was the cause of my voltage issue!

I took the "bad" alternator to a electrical shop that does nothing but rebuild/upgrade alternators and starters. I explained everything to the shop owner and asked him for his opinion. He told me that this alt was regulated by the computer....I explained that I was running an aftermarket computer and I added a external regulator to control it. He asked me what the external regulator was from and I told him the application was a 80 Dodge Omni. He said "Well there is your problem".

Apparently, the older alts have a low field current draw of around 1-2amps which is what the old regulators were meant to handle. My Alt is a high field current draw of around 6-7 amps. He said what happens is once the alt gets going fast, it is too much alt for the older regulator to handle and the field circuit shorts out causing the Voltage to go as high as it can/wants to. He told me to leave him the "bad" alt and he would test it to make sure it was a high amp draw and to see if it really was BAD. He just called me back and told me that the alt was very good and strong and it was a high draw. Thanks Advanced Auto for the free alt! He told me he could add a Voltage regulator to the alt so I wouldn't have this problem again and I could get rid of the external set-up.

Hopefully this is the last of my Voltage problems!

BTW: Rob called me today(owner/driver of the World Fastest Spirit R/T)and said on his last two runs of the day he had voltage issues just like mine but not quite as high. I think he said he saw 18volts on his runs. Guess what, we have the same external regulator and alternator set-up. Seth's TIII GLHS has the internal regulator modification already and guess what? No voltage issues!

Shitty luck but awesome you've figured it out.

Wow, very interesting, never heard of that before. Come to think of it, I put the older style VR on a Neon conversion I did and we could never get it to run right, charging surge issues, :banghead:

One last thing. He told me I could also keep the external regulator as long as I got one that could handle the current draw. He gave me the info but I decided I would rather get rid of the external regulator(one less thing in my tiny engine bay). Until I take the motor apart though I will run the Heavy Duty VR. Here's the info in case Rob want to get this too.

You can see in the description for this VR that it says "for 7amp rotors"..,....I never knew there was a difference. :p

Thanks, great info, sorry you have to find it the hard way.

Ah ya, this is advanced auto (don't mind the user who's acount we are paying to use in order to reach you on this forum) WE WANT OUR ALTERNATOR BACK YOU F'N SCAMMER! :censored:

Hmmmmmmm, no smilies, so he can't be joking, :eyebrows:

glhs0426
11-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the input, I never knew there were different Chrysler VR's. I was going to simplify my next build using a VR strapped to the back of the alternator. This one (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=ez+go+voltage+regulator&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1097&bih=498&wrapid=tljp1321401769034020&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6224102664933908014&sa=X&ei=u_3CTtn3CMLWtwex8pGFDA&sqi=2&ved=0CF0Q8gIwAA#)is used at work and very seldom ever fails on the hundreds of units we have. Now I need to find out the specs.

Reaper1
11-15-2011, 09:06 PM
How about some specifics on the internal regulator mod? Is this something that *we* can do with readily available parts?

rx2mazda
11-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Wonder if the cheap version of the VR125 can't handle the 7 amp rotor. Haven't had one issue with the VR125...

I thought about that. The first VR I bought was the Standard VR125 but, I was still having the shorting issue when I had that on so that could have taken that out. The last one I had on there was a $7.99 parts store OEM brand. The standard is also "Made in China" like the OEM brand one...Maybe you got lucky. Are you running a 7amp alternator?

I know Rob is running the VR125 and he is having issues too.

turbo2point2
11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Running a 120 amp alt. from a later model Caravan. Pretty sure its a 7 amp rotor. I'll check...

Pat
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Running a 120 amp alt. from a later model Caravan. Pretty sure its a 7 amp rotor. I'll check...

How underdriven are you running it? Even though your motor rpms are higher, if you're running a small crank/large alt pulley set up you may not be turning the same alternator rpms that Carroll/Rob are.

168glhs1986
11-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm running a standard EVR as well, not sure which one but I told the EMS system installer to buy one from the 70's. I'll check my data but it seems to be working just fine.

I am running a lightweight pulley kit purchased from Cindy so maybe Pat is onto something.

contraption22
11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Would this be of any use?

P3690731

To ensure your ignition and electrical systems can provide maximum
performance, install a Mopar Constant Output Voltage Regulator.
Voltage is held at a constant 13.5 volts. For race applications only.

rx2mazda
11-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm running a standard EVR as well, not sure which one but I told the EMS system installer to buy one from the 70's. I'll check my data but it seems to be working just fine.

I am running a lightweight pulley kit purchased from Cindy so maybe Pat is onto something.

What's your alternator from? 7amp field current?

Would this be of any use?

P3690731

To ensure your ignition and electrical systems can provide maximum
performance, install a Mopar Constant Output Voltage Regulator.
Voltage is held at a constant 13.5 volts. For race applications only.

I don't think so. I saw those when I was looking for a VR but I want more than 13.5 volts.....just not +20 volts! When the Chrysler VR is working properly it holds the voltage steady at 14.4 volts.

Just shipped my ECU back to Bigstuff. :(

rx2mazda
11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Here is the log for my last run with the 20+volts:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111116_115303.jpg

turbo2point2
11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
How underdriven are you running it? Even though your motor rpms are higher, if you're running a small crank/large alt pulley set up you may not be turning the same alternator rpms that Carroll/Rob are.

Not underdriven at all, 2.46:1 to be exact 6.9" crank pulley with a 2.8" alt pulley. Alt speed= 20,944 rpm @ 8500 engine rpm

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
here is the log for my last run with the 20+volts:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/img_20111116_115303.jpg

yikes!!!!!!!!

cordes
11-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I've learned so much in this thread. Thanks Carroll.

Pat
11-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Not underdriven at all, 2.46:1 to be exact 6.9" crank pulley with a 2.8" alt pulley. Alt speed= 20,944 rpm @ 8500 engine rpm

Then I've got nothing! :-)

Shadow
11-17-2011, 01:41 AM
:):):):):)

rx2mazda
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
ECU is on it's way back to me. It wasn't damaged...did get upgraded while it was there. I just had to pay shipping which was awesome! I got the alternator back as well and it has been converted to internally regulated.

As some of you may know, I thought I may have messed up my headgasket at the track when my voltage spiked and advanced the timing to who's knows what. My car started overheating in the lanes so I pulled out. Popped the hood and the upper rad hose was highly pressurized like a balloon...oil wasn't milky. After it cooled I was able to drive home without it overheating(missing badly though)but the cooling system still had what seemed to me higher than normal pressure. Today I pulled the head. Coming from the Rotary world, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very good at reading headgaskets so any help/opinions would be great! This is a 4 layer headgasket, it was on the car when I bought it and I reused it with copper spray.

TOP OF HEADGASKET.....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145140.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145152.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145204.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145214.jpg

Bottom.....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145245.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145254.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145301.jpg

These are shots of the build-up on the valves....it's pretty nasty and thick.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145810.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145753.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145744.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145735.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145722.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145713.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145705.jpg

Same build-up was one of the exhaust bolts #4....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_145854.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Here is the motor. No visible cross-hatching, very shiny.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_152530.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_152518.jpghttp://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20111130_152553.jpg

Pat
11-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Based on the residue in the chamber, the rusty spark plug and the look of the gasket, I suspect you had leakage in #1.

On the bores, if compression and leakdown were fine, I wouldn't worry about the lack of cross hatch. As long as the rings are sealing, you're fine for now.

And glad to hear the ECU lived!

rx2mazda
11-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Based on the residue in the chamber, the rusty spark plug and the look of the gasket, I suspect you had leakage in #1.

On the bores, if compression and leakdown were fine, I wouldn't worry about the lack of cross hatch. As long as the rings are sealing, you're fine for now.

And glad to hear the ECU lived!

ME TOO! what about the build-up on #3-4 exhaust valves?

Motor has approx 300k on it. I did a compression test before I took it apart....130-90-120-130. I didn't have the tools to do i leakdown but i tell you this; I've never seen the compression gauge drop so fast after cranking stopped! Head is gonna go to Menagon, I have a spare block that I got from Jackson @ SDAC, that's gonna get built up nicely over the winter. I can't see myself putting a fresh head on a block with 300K on it. Gonna do everything right this time and start fresh racing/tuning in the spring.

turbovanmanČ
11-30-2011, 05:41 PM
#1 for sure and #4 slightly.

Not sure about your other question but the hard deposits are oil.

Sounds like a plan, the lack of cross hatch is a sign everything is getting worn, so I agree, a rebuild is the way to go, if you put a rebuilt head on this bottom end, it will smoke like a chimney and probably run like crap.

tsiconquest88
11-30-2011, 06:10 PM
The white build up on the valves is coolant. The darker is oil build up (carbon).

rx2mazda
11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! Maybe I worded my questions wrong.....i know what coolant/oil buildup looks like, lol. I was more so trying to figure out exactly where it came from by looking at the headgasket. Im thinking that it may have come from the passages by the crossdrill? I know it may be hard to tell from the pics. Thanks!

I agree Simon, no way im putting a fresh Menagon head on that tired block!

turbovanmanČ
11-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! Maybe I worded my questions wrong.....i know what coolant/oil buildup looks like, lol. I was more so trying to figure out exactly where it came from by looking at the headgasket. Im thinking that it may have come from the passages by the crossdrill? I know it may be hard to tell from the pics. Thanks!

I agree Simon, no way im putting a fresh Menagon head on that tired block!

Hard to tell with the Cometic but your looking at black area's on the gasket, so to me, it looks like the front of #4 and the corner by the power steering pump on #1.

168glhs1986
12-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Gonna do everything right this time and start fresh racing/tuning in the spring.

+1 to that. Spring sounds like a pipe dream thou especially if your getting a new head and don't have it already. Glad to hear ecu was fine.

rx2mazda
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Hard to tell with the Cometic but your looking at black area's on the gasket, so to me, it looks like the front of #4 and the corner by the power steering pump on #1.

Yeah, I know Cometics are hard to read since they usually don't fail. lol. Thanks for the opinions though. :thumb:

+1 to that. Spring sounds like a pipe dream thou especially if your getting a new head and don't have it already. Glad to hear ecu was fine.

It very well might be a pipe dream...I am in no rush though. As I'm sure you know, a Menegon head and a Slowe bulletproof bottom end is not a cheap order(and you get what you pay for)but I've never heard of either disappointing - some of the fastest cars on this Coast are running both. I'm dropping the Head and manifolds off to Steve on Saturday, Slowe already has the block, just gotta order the parts.

turbovanmanČ
12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I know Cometics are hard to read since they usually don't fail. lol. Thanks for the opinions though. :thumb:

Sure they do, :faint: :bolt: :eyebrows:

turboshad
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I think it's a great plan CCaarrooll. It sucks going down the 1/4 always wondering if it will be your last time. But heck, at least you've gotten your first time out of the way. I don't think it's a pipe dream at all to get an engine together by spring. For sure by SDAC :thumb:

glhs0426
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Pictures are hard to read, but look at the gray color near the front triangular hole at #4. This and the white deposits in the chamber tell me there was a path and coolant. The rust on the plug in the other chamber is always a sign.

glhs0426
12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
This is the area.

168glhs1986
12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
A Menegon head and a Slowe built block = winner. Just thinking bout it gives me a woodrow wilson. God speed my friend!

30 PSI SHADOW
12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
ME TOO! what about the build-up on #3-4 exhaust valves?

Motor has approx 300k on it. I did a compression test before I took it apart....130-90-120-130. I didn't have the tools to do i leakdown but i tell you this; I've never seen the compression gauge drop so fast after cranking stopped! Head is gonna go to Menagon, I have a spare block that I got from Jackson @ SDAC, that's gonna get built up nicely over the winter. I can't see myself putting a fresh head on a block with 300K on it. Gonna do everything right this time and start fresh racing/tuning in the spring.

Well carroll we are in the same situation. I had some bad detination problems and had to tear mine down. Head is with menegon. Need new slugs. my winter project.

rx2mazda
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Well carroll we are in the same situation. I had some bad detination problems and had to tear mine down. Head is with menegon. Need new slugs. my winter project.

I saw your head at Menegons yesterday.......it looks like sh*t! Looks like something was bouncing around in there, not detonation. Godspeed Bill

cordes
12-04-2011, 02:09 PM
A Menegon head and a Slowe built block = winner. Just thinking bout it gives me a woodrow wilson. God speed my friend!

Wilson was a horrible president. I wouldn't want to go around claiming that...

168glhs1986
12-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Wilson was a horrible president. I wouldn't want to go around claiming that...

You serious? That's slang for what I really wanted to say...

cordes
12-04-2011, 11:34 PM
You serious? That's slang for what I really wanted to say...

No, I wasn't serious. I was just messing around. He was a horrible president though.

rx2mazda
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
:mecry:It's been a fun run guys but I've decided to give up on this project. I need to rebuild the motor, fix minor rust, finish the head and redo the entire suspension....just seems like to much to do to a car that will never be worth jack sh*t. I just got a ML430 Benz truck so I'm gonna put a nice system in that and just drive around like a nice responsible 30+ year old man. Thanks for all the kind words/advice over the years! I should have a "for sale" thread up shortly with tons of goodies...............

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Really, come on, weak sauce, :(

How much for the header, if you are using one? :eyebrows:

Need to go thru this thread and see, ack.

Reeves
02-28-2012, 02:37 PM
:mecry:it's been a fun run guys but i've decided to give up on this project. I need to rebuild the motor, fix minor rust, finish the head and redo the entire suspension....just seems like to much to do to a car that will never be worth jack sh*t. I just got a ml430 benz truck so i'm gonna put a nice system in that and just drive around like a nice responsible 30+ year old man. Thanks for all the kind words/advice over the years! I should have a "for sale" thread up shortly with tons of goodies...............

wtf???

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
wtf???

Maybe its an April Fools joke in Feb? :confused:

omni_840
02-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Please say your joking:(

contraption22
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
:mecry:It's been a fun run guys but I've decided to give up on this project. I need to rebuild the motor, fix minor rust, finish the head and redo the entire suspension....just seems like to much to do to a car that will never be worth jack sh*t. I just got a ML430 Benz truck so I'm gonna put a nice system in that and just drive around like a nice responsible 30+ year old man. Thanks for all the kind words/advice over the years! I should have a "for sale" thread up shortly with tons of goodies...............

Wow.

Good luck with your decision man. Only you can decide what's best for you.

Don't be a stranger.

forcedfedmopar
02-28-2012, 03:49 PM
......wow.......

Shadow
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
wtf???

WTF?WTF?WTF? MAN, you MUST be kidding!!!!!!!!

Carroll, Please! Take some time to think about it...............

You've put so much effort into such a great build and no matter what is left to do, it can't compare to what you've already achieved!???

Damn, and you were one of the few patient ones that I really looked forward to seeing the total success of your efforts!!!

Hope you change your mind bro! :mecry:

turboshad
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Deep down I hope you're kidding but in the end it's your call. I feel :( but give you a :thumb:

And vultures in 3....2.....1......

turbo2point2
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I call BS....

contraption22
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
And vultures in 3....2.....1......

Say if you're not doing anything with that turbo, intercooler, plumbing, Big Stuff.... I'll give you $50 for all of it.

turboshad
02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd like to take a moment to re-live the racing days of the GLH-R/T........silence if you will.

http://myomniisfasterthanyou.com/

Aries_Turbo
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
:mecry:It's been a fun run guys but I've decided to give up on this project. I need to rebuild the motor, fix minor rust, finish the head and redo the entire suspension....just seems like to much to do to a car that will never be worth jack sh*t.

who cares what its worth. no real car guy cares how much a car they built is worth. they build it cause they like it. a statement like that is an insult to all those that spend lots of time and money making our cars fast.

I just got a ML430 Benz truck so I'm gonna put a nice system in that and just drive around like a nice responsible 30+ year old man.

theres the real reason. you got sucked into the dumb german stuff just like all the other irresponsible 30+ year olds. what a gazer. :)

brian

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
who cares what its worth. no real car guy cares how much a car they built is worth. they build it cause they like it. a statement like that is an insult to all those that spend lots of time and money making our cars fast.

brian

No doubt, look at how much I've spent on the van, Reeves on his Omni, Pat on his projects, Brian on BSX, the list is endless.

I think he's full of BS, he was looking at this thread awhile ago, :eyebrows:

Directconnection
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I call either BS, or he was never a true TM dewd to begin with....

If BS.... he's waiting for us to forget about this car, and then WHAM! Opening day at Cecil and it runs 6.4 at 203mph. (ok, not quite that fast...)

Pat
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll certainly miss the good old days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsh2BT3bfLI

cordes
02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I really hope you're messing with us...

Shadow
02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm called BS....

No $hit! What's your point? :p

30 PSI SHADOW
02-29-2012, 12:54 AM

bwaaahaaa!! thats a good one! nice try!

135sohc
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm calling BS....

rx2mazda
02-29-2012, 01:23 AM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

LMAO, Did you guys like my "Juggy" impersonation????!!:lol: Now I know who my real friends are!

cordes
02-29-2012, 01:29 AM
I've very glad to read that you were messing with us.

Reaper1
02-29-2012, 01:45 AM
I was waiting for the BS confirmation! LOL I, too, was not falling for the "gonna just settle to cruise like a gangsta" act! LOL ;)

turbovanmanČ
02-29-2012, 03:05 AM
LMAO, Did you guys like my "Juggy" impersonation????!!:lol: Now I know who my real friends are!

Real friends are bought, wheres my money?????????? :lol:

paduster
02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
thank godi justgot to read thefirst one saying i am out and read to here saying thank god i wanted to see this car

168glhs1986
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Congratulations on your "responsible" car purchase. Maybe this can be your first mod.

Waiting for your parts for sale thread.....

contraption22
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Should have expected nothing less from somebody that orders a chicken omelet without chicken.

EDIT: Wait, I remember now... you ordered a vegetarian omelet.... with chicken.

Reeves
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Still waiting on the parts for sale.

contraption22
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Still waiting on the parts for sale.

Your sweet a$$ can wait your turn.

turboshad
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
I have no first hand experience but that is not how I pictured Reeves' ---......not that I have pictured Reeves' --- before.......oh shoot,what have I done.....

rx2mazda
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Should have expected nothing less from somebody that orders a chicken omelet without chicken.

EDIT: Wait, I remember now... you ordered a vegetarian omelet.... with chicken.

LMAO! That was funny but, good!

I have no first hand experience but that is not how I pictured Reeves' ---......not that I have pictured Reeves' --- before.......oh shoot,what have I done.....

you just came out! Don't ask to be my roomate again....Gazer

turboshad
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm just going to room with Brian, if you happen to be in the same room how is that my fault? :eyebrows:

......and yes I know, you don't have to tell me again, you're into chicks.

http://myomniisfasterthanyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/689-image4-260x300.jpg

rx2mazda
03-01-2012, 01:18 AM
......and yes I know, you don't have to tell me again, you're into chicks.

http://myomniisfasterthanyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/689-image4-260x300.jpg

indeed

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20120218_221440.jpg

:wave1::evil:

turbo2point2
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Can't wait to see this thing go @ SDAC22!! I'm pumped!

contraption22
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
No ----?! Awesome.

Juggy
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

could you please shed some light on this subject? where are you going with this??? seriously?? please enlighten me you fawking ignorant basstard

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2012, 01:27 PM
SDAC? Does it even run? :confused:

BadAssPerformance
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Can't wait to see this thing go @ SDAC22!! I'm pumped!

Awesome!

rx2mazda
06-13-2012, 12:41 AM
could you please shed some light on this subject? where are you going with this??? seriously?? please enlighten me you fawking ignorant basstard

I was making a joke about your whole "I'm done with TM.....no wait I'm not" thing you did earlier in the year(or last year, can't remember) lol. Are you sensitive and don't like being the brunt of joke? I'm sorry, i thought you could handle it. Come see me at SDAC if you need further clarification and bring your "internet tough guy mouth". Better luck next time HOSER<<<<----inside joke :lol:

EDIT: here it is

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?60733-bye-bye!!&highlight=

cordes
06-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I was making a joke about your whole "I'm done with TM.....no wait I'm not" thing you did earlier in the year(or last year, can't remember) lol. Are you sensitive and don't like being the brunt of joke? I'm sorry, i thought you could handle it. Come see me at SDAC if you need further clarification and bring your "internet tough guy mouth". Better luck next time HOSER<<<<----inside joke :lol:

EDIT: here it is

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?60733-bye-bye!!&highlight=

I haven't seen if Chris is going to make it so I don't know that you guys will be able to actually fight. On the up side, now that Barry isn't president I heard that he'll be up for reffing the fights.

Ondonti
06-13-2012, 05:12 AM
I was hoping for a link where Brian finished making your car fast. Don't get sensitive. HoHoHo that was a play on what you just said. Link to presidente info?

turbo2point2
06-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Just tryin to get the motivation goin for you Carroll:evil:

rx2mazda
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen if Chris is going to make it so I don't know that you guys will be able to actually fight. On the up side, now that Barry isn't president I heard that he'll be up for reffing the fights.

Detroit is fitting place to have "Rumble @ SDAC"! Anybody that ever got into disagreement on here can now settle it the old fashioned way!

Round 1.....Rx2mazda vs Juggy + Old Man Pat (2 on 1 to make it fair)
Round 2.....JT vs. Moparulze.
Round 3.....Shadow vs "The Naysayers"
Round 4.....Ondonti vs. Everybody

I was hoping for a link where Brian finished making your car fast. Don't get sensitive. HoHoHo that was a play on what you just said. Link to presidente info?

lmao! Im not sensitive...DJ made a whole website about me benchracing and I thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Just tryin to get the motivation goin for you Carroll:evil:

Some money would be better motivation! lol

Juggy
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Detroit is fitting place to have "Rumble @ SDAC"! Anybody that ever got into disagreement on here can now settle it the old fashioned way!

Round 1.....Rx2mazda vs Juggy + Old Man Pat (2 on 1 to make it fair)
Round 2.....JT vs. Moparulze.
Round 3.....Shadow vs "The Naysayers"
Round 4.....Ondonti vs. Everybody

lmao! Im not sensitive...DJ made a whole website about me benchracing and I thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Some money would be better motivation! lol

im sorry but you havent obviously been to SDAC in detroit.

round 1 is JUGGY VS THE HILL :lol:

you will have to wait your turn lol

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

round 2 is Juggy past out vs the Floridians tossing smoke bombs in his car

turbo2point2
06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
bring my internet tough guy voice for further clarification.....so you saying you want to start at fight at SDAC?? wow and you said you are the 30 something year old trying to be "responsible" yet you want to choose to initiate and bring trouble to SDAC.....

Wow! Can't believe you just posted that about someone you don't even know. Re-read his post Juggy, it is a joke. He obviously struck a nerve, but it seems you need some thicker skin :nod:

Shadow
06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Round 3.....Shadow vs "The Naysayers

:confused2:
Woe, slow down there, how did I get involved in this? I've never said Anything offensive to anyone at Anytime..................have I?

:p:evil:

omni_840
06-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I want video of the fights, :thumb:

Must be present to see any action:D

Are you seriously bring your car to SDAC?

contraption22
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Ok.

Everybody needs to take a step back and think about what they are saying before they post here.

Chill out. It's hard to tell who is joking, who isn't, what's in jest, and what can be found truly offensive.

cordes
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Ok.

Everybody needs to take a step back and think about what they are saying before they post here.

Chill out. It's hard to tell who is joking, who isn't, what's in jest, and what can be found truly offensive.

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

contraption22
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry I had to clean up this thread, but I figured it was better than things getting uglier than it already had.

Juggy is gone. In my opinion, there is no need for his kind in this community.

black86glhs
06-14-2012, 02:46 AM
It's all good.:thumb:

omni_840
06-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Wow, I can't even remember the last time someone was banned, maybe Unaclocker???

Really unfortunate, I hate to see people make things personal on the internetz. What's funny is as soon as rx2mazda posted that about Juggy I instantly got the joke ans was going to even post the link,but didn't want to get in the middle.

Besides I thought imitation was the biggest form of flattery?? :)(i.e. rx2mazda doing his best Juggy impersonation)

16valvecharger
06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry I had to clean up this thread, but I figured it was better than things getting uglier than it already had.

What the hell did I miss!!!! lol

jackerman
08-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Hows the car coming along carol. Been awhile since you had any new updates

rx2mazda
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
It's not. Car has been parked in the same spot since last Fall. Menegon is doing my head (port, bronze valve guides, seals, etc) and I'm gonna be rebuilding the Short block too. Probably Spring is when it will run again.......maybe sooner. I do miss her. Thanks for asking! Hows your ride??

turbovanmanČ
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Its running in Cyberspace, :lol:

cordes
08-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Glad to hear that the project is still moving forward. I hope to see it at SDAC this year!

Shadow
08-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear that the project is still moving forward. I hope to see it at SDAC this year!

What, you mean SDAC hasn't happened yet? Ye ha! And here I thought I missed it!

Dates bro, dates! :nod:

:p

rx2mazda
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Finally got the floors fixed and sealed! Had a local body shop do it and I was very pleased with the results and price.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130302_104639.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130302_104738.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130302_104801.jpg

cordes
03-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Where are you at in your progress with the project Carroll? I haven't seen as many updates lately.

rx2mazda
03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Where are you at in your progress with the project Carroll? I haven't seen as many updates lately.

I haven't been "into" the project lately. I've been training and competing in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai a lot! That has been taking all my free time and $$$. Having a ball though!

As far as the progress, I just need to put together a stout SB, get my head back from Steve and put it all back together. I hope to have it running again by late Spring/early Summer.

cordes
03-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Excellent. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping busy with something cool while the car is waiting to come to the forefront again. I've always thought about BJJ etc. but there isn't really any place around her to learn. I bet you're really good at it.

rx2mazda
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Excellent. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping busy with something cool while the car is waiting to come to the forefront again. I've always thought about BJJ etc. but there isn't really any place around her to learn. I bet you're really good at it.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20130126_152314.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LOZhaxTw0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

85boostbox
03-02-2013, 07:35 PM
The black eye adds to the picture

black86glhs
03-02-2013, 09:20 PM
The black eye adds to the picture

Indeed. Tell Menegon to hurry up......lol.

Just kidding.

cordes
03-02-2013, 09:41 PM
[video=youtube;7LOZhaxTw0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LOZhaxTw0I&feature=youtube_gdata_player[]

You've got to be tough if you're going out in capri pants for sure!

rx2mazda
03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Indeed. Tell Menegon to hurry up......lol.

Just kidding.

Menegon has never been the hold-up. He actually ported my head like a year ago! He's been waiting on the machine shop.....and me! Lol. A Head is going to do me no good without a fresh block to put it on.

Pat
03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Good to see you back on here a bit. Floors look good!

black86glhs
03-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Menegon has never been the hold-up. He actually ported my head like a year ago! He's been waiting on the machine shop.....and me! Lol. A Head is going to do me no good without a fresh block to put it on.I know. I wouldn't dare tell him that for real anyway. His work is too good. You start on the short block yet?

turboshad
03-03-2013, 01:40 AM

Is that LL Cool J? I bet he could make a fast Omni.

rx2mazda
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Good to see you back on here a bit. Floors look good!

Thanks Pat.

You start on the short block yet?

Nope.

Mama said knock you out!

turbovanmanČ
03-10-2013, 04:45 AM

Or one that runs.

rx2mazda
03-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Or one that runs.

Or one that doesn't break every year.

turbovanmanČ
03-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Or one that doesn't break every year.

Lame comeback, :p

Tbird232ci
03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Or one that doesn't break every week.

Fixed it for you.

turbovanmanČ
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Fixed it for you.

Ouch, where's the love? :confused:

moparman76_69
03-11-2013, 07:23 PM

At least we don't have to worry about him getting shot by LAPD anymore.

Tbird232ci
03-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Ouch, where's the love? :confused:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/Tbird232ci/imagephp.gif

rx2mazda
07-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Pulled all my goodies out of storage.....time to get this thing back together.

cordes
07-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Excellent!

omni_840
07-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Good to hear!

turboshad
07-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Slow :clap:

Tbird232ci
07-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Done yet?

168glhs1986
07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Forget the build and just sell it, NEVER!

Get the passion back. Running turbo dodges are fun. Non running turbo dodges are no fun at all

contraption22
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Pulled all my goodies out of storage.....time to get this thing back together.

Sweet!

rx2mazda
07-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Forget the build and just sell it, NEVER!

Get the passion back. Running turbo dodges are fun. Non running turbo dodges are no fun at all

parting it out did cross my mind, several times.

cordes
07-21-2013, 10:51 PM

I'm not laughing.

lengel
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM

It crosses all of our minds from time to time. Glad to see your back on track! So what all needs to be done?

Tbird232ci
07-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I've been considering it for a few months. I just don't have anything worth parting on my car. :lol:

rx2mazda
07-24-2013, 01:50 AM
So what all needs to be done?

Short block and put it all back together.

Shadow
07-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Sometimes it's good to take a little break, then come back at it with a Fresh perspective :)

turbovanmanČ
07-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Most of have been there, still am.

Sometimes it's good to take a little break, then come back at it with a Fresh perspective :)

Agreed.

rx2mazda
07-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm not laughing.

Me either!

.......Glad to see your back on track!

:lol: was there pun intended in this post? lmao

Yeah, I've been considering it for a few months. I just don't have anything worth parting on my car. :lol:

Most of have been there, still am.

Oh yeah, its still on my mind too. Between my BigStuff3, Turbo, Injectors, IC core, AN fittings, and gauges etc I figure I could make some good money fast outside of TD community alone. Then I think about when I sold my RX2 and how it felt after the money was gone. I miss that car so much. One of the biggest reasons is, I love this community so much! I think it is one of the best out there(no clubs excluded)! I cherish the friendships I've made thru this community. Glad to be back!

Gonna pull the shortblock tomorrow. :eyebrows:

contraption22
07-24-2013, 11:26 PM
That's good to hear, Carroll.
Someday I'd like to chat with you about turbo choices, and how you arrived at the 5858. And if you are happy with it once you start leaning on it.

rx2mazda
07-24-2013, 11:38 PM
That's good to hear, Carroll.
Someday I'd like to chat with you about turbo choices, and how you arrived at the 5858. And if you are happy with it once you start leaning on it.

5857. I loved it when i was running only 22psi. Great spool and hits hard, can't wait to push it to the 30+ territory! We'll talk.

- - - Updated - - -

A little off topic but has anybody else here noticed how much DJ aka TurboShad looks like Waldo?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/images.jpeg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/images.jpeg.html)

Shadow
07-25-2013, 10:22 AM
A little off topic but has anybody else here noticed how much DJ aka TurboShad looks like Waldo?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/images.jpeg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/images.jpeg.html)

Wow, just Wow!

Reaper1
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Waldo is Canadian!? ;)

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Now that you mention it, lol.

turboshad
07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Waldo is Canadian!? ;)

I don't see any blue in there. All red and white pretty much points north.

I think you may be onto something Ccaarrooll but I think JT's got it down a bit better. Who knew he wanted to be a Canadian so bad? :confused:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/turboshad/waldo.jpeg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/turboshad/media/waldo.jpeg.html)

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/95talongirl/SEMA%202012/sema_57.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/95talongirl/media/SEMA%202012/sema_57.jpg.html)

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Double damn, :wow1:

rx2mazda
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Lmao!!!!

Reaper1
07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I see blue jeans! ;) LOL :P

Pat
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Lol!!!

johnl
07-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Carroll - just wanted to say thanks for the build thread; making the effort to photograph and write up is another step, another thing to plan, it is appreciated. BTW, my Santa Fe Blue GLHT has the red snowflakes off of my R/T on it right now, I'm trying to burn up the all season radials that that are on those wheels. I too think it looks good, in a "clown car" sort of way.

rx2mazda
07-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Carroll - just wanted to say thanks for the build thread; making the effort to photograph and write up is another step, another thing to plan, it is appreciated.

Thanks & Your welcome! I hope the info/pics helps others as much as it's helped me!

Got the motor ready to come out.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130726_145533.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/20130726_145533.jpg.html)

Ondonti
07-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks & Your welcome! I hope the info/pics helps others as much as it's helped me!

Got the motor ready to come out.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130726_145533.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/20130726_145533.jpg.html)
How come you didn't get some water dispersant on there and some protection? Planning on overboring it anyways? Your cylinders were still okay looking when that HG failed. I think I have 2 blocks with light corrosion that really makes me grumpy since I don't want to run aftermarket or oversize stuff. Cars sitting is bad bad bad but I am guessing yours was at least inside.

rx2mazda
07-27-2013, 11:27 AM
How come you didn't get some water dispersant on there and some protection? Planning on overboring it anyways? Your cylinders were still okay looking when that HG failed. I think I have 2 blocks with light corrosion that really makes me grumpy since I don't want to run aftermarket or oversize stuff. Cars sitting is bad bad bad but I am guessing yours was at least inside.

I bought a really nice SB from Jackson @ sdac20/21 that I was planning(still am) to rebuild and use. This block has some 300K abusive miles on it and hardly no cross-hatchin was visible, my plan was to bore this motor 20 over and rebuild as a spare. Still, I was very careless about how I "Stored" this SB....I guess I was just over it and didn't care. I layed a trash bag and old T-shirt over the top and called it good. It stayed outside. The wind blew the bag off, the rain filled up the cylinders and I could care less. When I finally decided to mess with it, I had to soak all the water out of the cylinders and soak the bores with Marvels Mystery Oil to get it to turn. It spins very freely now. lol.

Anyways, Motor is on the stand in my basement now. Piston top on #3 have some nasty marks on it but I'm pretty sure they were like that before I transferred this motor over. #3 also seems to sit slightly lower than #2 when @TDC ;). My original plan was to build a bulletproof bottom end(4-bolt mains, JE pistons, Oliver Rods, etc)but plans have changed due to financial necessity and a desire to get this thing on the road. Looking at doing a milder rebuild now just adding Eagle rods and main studs. I'm still undecided on the piston and it's making my brain hurt. I would like to use the stock TIII pistons that I got with the block, their plenty strong and it would save me about 5-600$ including machine work. I'm afraid that after I have it honed that I'll give up too much clearance and end up with a sloppy motor. I could just not hone it and run the pistons as is, decisions decision. We all know how strong a stock TIII is. Suggestions?

blk86trbo
07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Glad to see you posting Carroll! I'm eager to see you get this thing running again, you can do it!

rx2mazda
07-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Lets play "Spot the Difference"!!! :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/20130727_134816.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/20130727_134816.jpg.html)

Shadow
07-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Have I been out of the loop that long, what the H#ll did you do? Your pistons are all messed up like they went molten and then re-hardened in a strange "fishy" kind uf shape! :confused:

Specially the ones on either end ;)

rx2mazda
07-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Have I been out of the loop that long, what the H#ll did you do? Your pistons are all messed up like they went molten and then re-hardened in a strange "fishy" kind uf shape! :confused:

Specially the ones on either end ;)

That's not it! Keep guessing lol.

BTW Rob, that just the angle and shadows making the pistons look distorted.

turboshad
07-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Three look like they've been " knife edged" and #3 doesn't. Also #1 is missing a nut. I don't think that will hold your power goals.

rx2mazda
07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Three look like they've been " knife edged" and #3 doesn't. Also #1 is missing a nut. I don't think that will hold your power goals.

Actually they are lined up backwards 4-3-2-1. The Missing bolt is one of them, still haven't gotten the worst one! I thought it was pretty obvious but i guess not. I even mention it in the post before the picture game! geez

csxtra
07-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Speaking of fishy, the second rod in from the left (#3) looks kind of fishy...

turboshad
07-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh, the bent rod. My brain read your post and then said "that's not bent, it's just the shadows like Carroll said". Good thing it's the weekend. :)

rx2mazda
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
speaking of fishy, the second rod in from the left (#3) looks kind of fishy...

ding ding ding!!!! #3 rod is bent.

turbovanmanČ
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Geez, a blind monkey can see #3 is bent, :p

Are those Venolias?

If you can clean up the block and have good side clearance using the stock pistons, go that route. With Eagle rods and ARP mains, it will still be a stout motor, that's what I am using, minus the stock pistons, :nod:

Ondonti
07-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I was going to say, he hydrolocked the motor at some point here. I did the same thing on a dyno and bent a crankshaft. I knew what to look for since he said one piston was sitting lower. I thought it was kinda funny that my rods were stronger then my stock main fasteners.

Maybe check the crankshaft just in case but I know inline 4's are much better supported then mine.

turbovanmanČ
07-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I was going to say, he hydrolocked the motor at some point here. I did the same thing on a dyno and bent a crankshaft. I knew what to look for since he said one piston was sitting lower. I thought it was kinda funny that my rods were stronger then my stock main fasteners.

Maybe check the crankshaft just in case but I know inline 4's are much better supported then mine.

When I dropped a valve, bent the rod, pushed out the block but reused the cast crank for many years, :p

Shadow
07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
That's not it! Keep guessing lol.

BTW Rob, that just the angle and shadows making the pistons look distorted.

No $hit, I was making a Funny......again. Damn this internet BS, my funny's always get taken seriously! The bent rod was so obvious I thought I'd let someone else get the booby prize :)

86Shelby
07-27-2013, 10:41 PM
My #1 rod looked just like that after I ran through a puddle(read mini lake) in a downpour. I think the stock HG blowing out the side helped keep more parts from destruction.

contraption22
07-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Anyways, Motor is on the stand in my basement now. Piston top on #3 have some nasty marks on it but I'm pretty sure they were like that before I transferred this motor over. #3 also seems to sit slightly lower than #2 when @TDC ;). My original plan was to build a bulletproof bottom end(4-bolt mains, JE pistons, Oliver Rods, etc)but plans have changed due to financial necessity and a desire to get this thing on the road. Looking at doing a milder rebuild now just adding Eagle rods and main studs. I'm still undecided on the piston and it's making my brain hurt. I would like to use the stock TIII pistons that I got with the block, their plenty strong and it would save me about 5-600$ including machine work. I'm afraid that after I have it honed that I'll give up too much clearance and end up with a sloppy motor. I could just not hone it and run the pistons as is, decisions decision. We all know how strong a stock TIII is. Suggestions?

I would spend the money on new pistons. It would ensure that you would get good piston-to-wall. if the block is finished honed to your new pistons than just "good enough" to use your old pistons.

As for the rods, depends on power goals. I decided that for how fast I want to go, Eagles should reliably withstand the power I want to make (~500hp).

Shadow
07-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Do it right bro, even if it takes more time. (right being what gives You confidence that there shouldn't be Any issues) If you cut corners now, and it does lead to further issues, I can only imagine that having a Worse effect than the last bout.

Tbird232ci
11-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Done yet?

rx2mazda
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Done yet?

No, lol! Gonna try and have it running around Spring.

Tbird232ci
11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
I have a similar game plan. Let me know if you need a hand on the weekends. I'm only about 25 min from you.

Would also like to check out your radiator. I blew mine out yesterday and have been looking at ones like you run.

contraption22
03-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Bump for updates.

168glhs1986
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
It's in the for sale section

turboshad
03-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Still benchin' 10s

contraption22
03-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm sitting here debating wether I should look. You do owe me a few after SDAC Tulsa.

rx2mazda
04-22-2014, 09:57 PM

Lmao, I've started the post several times but never published it.

Still benchin' 10s

myomniisfasterthanyou.com

I'm sitting here debating wether I should look. You do owe me a few after SDAC Tulsa.

Who? DJ?

- - - Updated - - -

Bump for updates.

Gonna try to make a push for SDAC. If I get my Head back I should be able to finish. :thumb:

lengel
04-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Looking forward to this! Love the TIII L bodies.

Pat
04-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Welcome back!

contraption22
04-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Gonna try to make a push for SDAC. If I get my Head back I should be able to finish. :thumb:

Sweet! Great to hear you are back at it!

Shadow
04-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Looking forward to this! Love the TIII L bodies.

Really? That surprises me..............

na try to make a push for SDAC. If I get my Head back I should be able to finish. :thumb:

Would be awesome to see your beast in person! I missed you and Jackson at the last one, could really use More ppl to chat with while I'm down there. lol

2.216VTurbo
04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Really? That surprises me..............

Would be awesome to see your beast in person! I missed you and Jackson at the last one, could really use More ppl to chat with while I'm down there. lol

Awwww:grouphug:

Shadow
04-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Awwww:grouphug:

Hey, the more the Merrier! and No, I wasn't trying to imply that talking with You was getting Boring Alan............lol

rx2mazda
06-02-2014, 10:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBSml0e5DLI

cordes
06-04-2014, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6LJUyNA0M

turboshad
06-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm sure hoping this is coming next.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk

Shadow
06-04-2014, 03:06 PM
You guys are all too inter-geek savey for me. All I got is....... AWESOME! :thumb:

rx2mazda
06-04-2014, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6LJUyNA0M

lol, its been a couple years!

I'm sure hoping this is coming next.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk

CLASSIC!!!! I don't have the power yet though.

You guys are all too inter-geek savey for me. All I got is....... AWESOME! :thumb:

:thumb:

Motors finally back in....yay!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_20140604_155802.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/rx2mazda/media/IMG_20140604_155802.jpg.html)

168glhs1986
06-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Congrats Dude. I miss this car and glad to see it back

cordes
06-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Man does that thing look awesome.

contraption22
06-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Can't wait! Good luck!

DaveSkrab
06-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Sweet!

rx2mazda
06-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Nobody noticed my slick new antenna?! :( lol.

Ran into the exact same problem that Kelly did in this thread.....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66070-Real-turbo-oil-return-setup&highlight=turbo+drain+oil+pan

Gonna drop the oil pan and add a AN bulkhead fitting for the drain. :ballchain:

rx2mazda
06-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Got my registration squared away and renewed. Also bought a vintage 1985 Maryland license plate from FleaBay for $11. If your car is classed as Historic or Street Rod and you have a vintage plate from the same production year, you can use it on your car (after you pay a one-time $25 fee). Thought it would be a nice touch. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/07/u3ahu4e6.jpg

cordes
06-06-2014, 10:11 PM
That is really cool. I put the plate on my CSX today. I wonder how many tickets I'll get for having no front plate. The car has made it 25 years without one so I think I should be exempt!

Aries_Turbo
06-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Nobody noticed my slick new antenna?! :( lol.

Ran into the exact same problem that Kelly did in this thread.....http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?66070-Real-turbo-oil-return-setup&highlight=turbo+drain+oil+pan

Gonna drop the oil pan and add a AN bulkhead fitting for the drain. :ballchain:

the oil pan will be at a 13deg (ish) angle backwards. the bulkhead fitting will be uphill with the engine in the car.

better to tig weld a tube into the oil pan so that the oil drain remains downhill.

i did a similar mod on my reliant using a stock drain tube and brazed it into the pan. since it entered the pan perpendicular to the side of the pan, the last section was uphill.

it smoked.

i now bored the block to 3/4" and pressed/epoxied in a 3/4" tube with the stock style tube and a piece of hose connecting them.

no smoke.

just be mindful of angles given that the engine tilts back around 13 degrees.

Brian

rx2mazda
06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
the oil pan will be at a 13deg (ish) angle backwards. the bulkhead fitting will be uphill with the engine in the car.

better to tig weld a tube into the oil pan so that the oil drain remains downhill.

i did a similar mod on my reliant using a stock drain tube and brazed it into the pan. since it entered the pan perpendicular to the side of the pan, the last section was uphill.

it smoked.

i now bored the block to 3/4" and pressed/epoxied in a 3/4" tube with the stock style tube and a piece of hose connecting them.

no smoke.

just be mindful of angles given that the engine tilts back around 13 degrees.

Brian

Thanks! I actually noticed this today when I was doing the mock-up. Hopefully I get lucky and it drains fine. I PMed Kelly and asked him if it was an issue for him, waiting to hear back(I figured if it was, he's pretty good at updating a thread and telling everyone the problem). I still think its better than the way it was sitting...Either way, I got her new registration and I'm starting her up tomorrow and going cruising. If it smokes I'll get Brian to fix her up.

tsiconquest88
06-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Awesome man... Glad to see it back running again!

contraption22
06-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Updates!?

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Updates!?

It's running.... And the rear main seal is leaking. Fml.

minigts
06-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Sorry to hear that Carroll. :( Hope you have time to get it done and running before SDAC. Were you planning to bring it or were you coming?

contraption22
06-12-2014, 11:59 AM
That bites. I hope you can get it done before the the convention, and if not, you decide to come out anyway.

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks... Yes and yes. We'll see how it goes. I was gonna tow it Brian and let him replace the seal (because I'm sick of fighting under this car on jackstands, in the sun & rain, with mosquitoes attacking me) but, my AAA ran out so I have to wait a week before I can use the service.

turboshad
06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Is it leaking that bad that you couldn't drive it? Get that ol rust coating refreshed. JT2 could give you some pointers on long trips and oil leaks.

minigts
06-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Is it leaking that bad that you couldn't drive it? Get that ol rust coating refreshed. JT2 could give you some pointers on long trips and oil leaks.

Bring a 5 quart thing of oil, top it off every gas fill and you're good to go!

Ondonti
06-12-2014, 12:14 PM
When I threw the first junkyard motor in my Duster I just made a drip pan after they booted me for leaving a few drops at the spot they stopped me to check my helmet (already trying to boot me).

I refused to fix anything on that motor but the water pump that seized after the first 5 miles of driving :P

I didn't want my plans ruined by an oil leak that might not go away or a new oil leak etc.

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Bring a 5 quart thing of oil, top it off every gas fill and you're good to go!

I don't have to gas between me and Philly lol! It's leaking about 3 drips per second.

turboshad
06-12-2014, 12:26 PM
What about making a tray under the bellhousing that drains back into the oil pan?

contraption22
06-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I'd be more concerned if there weren't any drips under my Chryslers. Whatever isn't dripping is likely empty.

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
What about making a tray under the bellhousing that drains back into the oil pan?

Why didn't I think of that?!

Pat
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't have to gas between me and Philly lol! It's leaking about 3 drips per second.

At that rate, you'd make it to Philly no problem. Stop once or twice to double check/top off.

turboshad
06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
At that rate, you'd make it to Philly no problem. Stop once or twice to double check/top off.

Not that you can trust anyone that drives around a box of cereal but I agree with this guy. ^^^

Pat
06-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Not that you can trust anyone that drives around a box of cereal but I agree with this guy. ^^^

Cereal box FTW!

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Seal is on the way. I'm gonna change it myself at my buddies shop. I'm so excited.... Really... Not really

Shadow
06-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Is this a fresh bottom end? Or did you change plans and drop in a good runner?

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Is this a fresh bottom end? Or did you change plans and drop in a good runner?

Fresh bottom end. Built with 4-bolt mains, h-beam rods, 20 over venolias, etc. Just got unlucky on the seal I guess. It happens

Shadow
06-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Damn, Sounds really Good! Bummer about the seal, good luck with the next one!

Really hoping to this Beast at SDAC :)

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Damn, Sounds really Good! Bummer about the seal, good luck with the next one!

Really hoping to this Beast at SDAC :)

Thank you! Menegon did the head as well... Port matched intake and exhaust and all new everything. Looking forward to driving it.

168glhs1986
06-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Carroll, you can use my AAA tow card if you'd like.

Since all my Turbo Mopars are very reliable, I'll never need it, lol.

But seriously I have 3 remaining for the year and my year ends in July.

rx2mazda
06-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Carroll, you can use my AAA tow card if you'd like.

Since all my Turbo Mopars are very reliable, I'll never need it, lol.

But seriously I have 3 remaining for the year and my year ends in July.

Thanks Mike, that's really nice of you! Unfortunately Brian doesn't have any energy left to change my main seal because he's working like a slave to finish your Frankenstein. SMH. ;)

168glhs1986
06-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Updates? Flying in to sdac of driving out?