PDA

View Full Version : G-body dash differences

BadAssPerformance
05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking about swapping a newer / older dash into my '87 Z. Anyone know what years stuff changed? better yet, please post pics of your g-body dash, thanks!

jckrieger
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
If you want the *new* style round dash that had the hand e-brake, it started in 90 for both the G bodies and the Lebarons. I can take pictures of Evan's old 91 if you'd like.

CDNTurboZ
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Anything from 84-89 should fit your shelby z, I know the 89 dashes have a more round glove box compared to 86 and older, and in 87 they changed the gauge clusters.

There is a different cover piece/headlight switch compared to first gen daytonas. You can bolt a newer gauge cluster in an older first gen g-body dash, but you have to use the newer headlight switch and gauge cluster cover.

yogurt_slinger
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
talk to shelbyplayer.. he has done it.

CDNTurboZ
05-28-2006, 09:39 PM
talk to shelbyplayer.. he has done it.

so he did a 90+ interior swap? I would like to see pics:thumb:

yogurt_slinger
05-28-2006, 10:04 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/217000-217999/217372_31_full.jpg

BadAssPerformance
05-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks, but not sure the newer dashes are my style, what does the earlier than '87 dashes look like? differences?

supercrackerbox
05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
The only visual difference between the 84-86 and 87-89 is the glove box and the cover panel below the steering column. Early years they both sweep straight back instead of curving out like the later ones. '87 may have been kind of a trading year, as I've seen them with both styles. I put an '87 dash in my '88, but it had the earlier style setup.

Once you get inside the dash, there are some metal brackets that go with whichever style dash you are using. They can be swapped, all the mounting points are the same, and then you bolt up whichever glovebox and cover. You do have to remove the dash to get those brackets out though.

CDNTurboZ
05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
The only visual difference between the 84-86 and 87-89 is the glove box and the cover panel below the steering column. Early years they both sweep straight back instead of curving out like the later ones. '87 may have been kind of a trading year, as I've seen them with both styles. I put an '87 dash in my '88, but it had the earlier style setup.

Once you get inside the dash, there are some metal brackets that go with whichever style dash you are using. They can be swapped, all the mounting points are the same, and then you bolt up whichever glovebox and cover. You do have to remove the dash to get those brackets out though.

+1, he beat me to it:p

BadAssPerformance
05-28-2006, 11:26 PM
ok, so what exactly is different about the glove box? pics?

supercrackerbox
05-29-2006, 02:53 PM
http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06096/86wheel.jpg (http://xs.to)
Old style dash, note the straight angle back towards the floor.

http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06096/88wheel.jpg (http://xs.to)

Later style. The bottom portions are more contoured; the glovebox and fuse panel cover have the same contours.

banger68
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
In Canada the lower section didn't change much like the US cars. They are the same as the 84-86 panels.

91DSX
05-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Here's mine:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Daytona_014.jpg

I've changed a few things this year, SRT-4 shift knob, Autometer Shift-Lite, Stewart Warner white face tach...

CDNTurboZ
05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
http://xs70.xs.to/pics/06096/86wheel.jpg (http://xs.to)
Old style dash, note the straight angle back towards the floor.

This is kind off topic but did first gen cars get those power seat controls on the seat like later 87+ daytonas??? I thought first gen cars only had the power seat controls in the center console.

I noticed that the above first gen interior has the controls on the seat, or was that added on?

BadAssPerformance
05-30-2006, 12:29 AM
OK, so my '87 has the oldest style (minus the grid guages) I thought the '84-85 might have been different.

CDNTurboZ
05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
OK, so my '87 has the oldest style (minus the grid guages) I thought the '84-85 might have been different.

yeah 84-85 is the same as 86, etc

supercrackerbox
05-30-2006, 09:31 AM
This is kind off topic but did first gen cars get those power seat controls on the seat like later 87+ daytonas??? I thought first gen cars only had the power seat controls in the center console.

I noticed that the above first gen interior has the controls on the seat, or was that added on?

Good question. The gauges are definately 85-86, but to my knowledge those years' enthusiast seats only had the power four way movement, and the thigh/lumbar support was air pump. But I could be wrong, I've never owned a car with power seats.

briceturbosports
05-30-2006, 11:43 AM
1 st gen cars had them in center and pump ball the switch had stick and two tilt switches

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I have the '90+ interior in my '86. It is quite a bit of work to do the complete conversion. Since this is for your race car, it would be fairly simple.

banger68
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM

I know of a couple 86's that the owners claim that their car came with the electric controls in the bolster. One of these cars was in the person's family since it was new. So I beleive a few 86's snuck out with the new controls.

CDNTurboZ
05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I know of a couple 86's that the owners claim that their car came with the electric controls in the bolster. One of these cars was in the person's family since it was new. So I beleive a few 86's snuck out with the new controls.

yeah they must have changed it late in production, I looked a 86 t-top laser xt that was for sale, it had the black leather with the controls in the bolster, I also noticed the black and gold c/s you sold (with the tan interior) had the controls as well.

I think I'll probably pick up a nice power seat from an 87 and put it in my daytona:thumb: If the seat tracks are the same.....

BadAssPerformance
05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I have the '90+ interior in my '86. It is quite a bit of work to do the complete conversion. Since this is for your race car, it would be fairly simple.

lol, its still a street car!

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Heh, yeah I guess so. :p The door panels and the center console which where most of the fabbing is needed. The dash is a bolt up. The only issue is the wiring, but if you don't use a lot of it....

CDNTurboZ
05-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Heh, yeah I guess so. :p The door panels and the center console which where most of the fabbing is needed. The dash is a bolt up. The only issue is the wiring, but if you don't use a lot of it....

do you have any pics of your interior? I would be interested to see that interior in a first gen:)

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't have any handy and the interior was partially removed for the final changes needed for the center console. It's on it's way back together now. You can read about the saga here:

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/history.html

I'll post some pics there of the completed interior when it is together. It's supposed to cool down a bit this week, so I hope to make some good progress on the Roach.

BadAssPerformance
05-30-2006, 03:02 PM

is the structure behind & under the dash similar?

MiniMopar
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
On the dash itself? No, it is totally different. However the mount points at each end and along the windshield are the same, so it bolts right up. The fun part is the harness. The early setup has a big harness weaving through the dash and another harness under the windsheild, mainly between the two door harnesses and one of the center console harnesses (for power windows and such). The later setup has one gigantic harness under the windshield and dozens of tails between it and the dash. I ended up weaving the old dash harness through the new dash.

banger68
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
yeah they must have changed it late in production, I looked a 86 t-top laser xt that was for sale, it had the black leather with the controls in the bolster, I also noticed the black and gold c/s you sold (with the tan interior) had the controls as well.

I think I'll probably pick up a nice power seat from an 87 and put it in my daytona:thumb: If the seat tracks are the same.....

My car had the seats from a 87 ShelbyZ in it. You have to use a 86 power rack and modify the mounting holes for the 87 seat. The 87-89 rack will not work in a 1st gen.

CDNTurboZ
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
My car had the seats from a 87 ShelbyZ in it. You have to use a 86 power rack and modify the mounting holes for the 87 seat. The 87-89 rack will not work in a 1st gen.

Thanks
Thats not that bad then, I have the 86 power seat track, so I can bolt an 87-89 seat on then.

Are the plugs the same? , especially for the controls on the seat, can I just plug it all in to the harness on the floor?

banger68
06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks
Thats not that bad then, I have the 86 power seat track, so I can bolt an 87-89 seat on then.

Are the plugs the same? , especially for the controls on the seat, can I just plug it all in to the harness on the floor?

Yes, the plugs are the same. The harness is daisy chained. The seat won't bolt to the rack without modifying the mounting holes in the top of the rack.

CDNTurboZ
06-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes, the plugs are the same. The harness is daisy chained. The seat won't bolt to the rack without modifying the mounting holes in the top of the rack.

thanks for the info:)