PDA

View Full Version : L Body Aluminum Seat Belt Holder

fuzz's84Daytona
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Well it has been brought up in another thread, so I decided to start on them to see what kind of quantity there might be. I still have to cut the back off with another fixture and see what it looks like finished, gives you an idea :thumb: Price wise, I would say under $40 a set. So let me get some kind of count and see if the interest is there.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt185/1984CSRampage/seatbelt.jpg

1984rampage
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Id be in

SilverShelby
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Me Tooo!!!!!:D

ScottD
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Awesome!

BadAssPerformance
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Nice work :clap:

moved to 'group buys' section

rbryant
01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Ok now can you engrave SHELBY or GLHS on them too?

I think it would be a nice touch considering that they are visible as people get into the car. :)

-Rich

fuzz's84Daytona
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Ok now can you engrave SHELBY or GLHS on them too?

I think it would be a nice touch considering that they are visible as people get into the car. :)

-Rich

I probably could, but I'll see what people are wanting more and go that way. The reason behind that would be because I would have to make another fixture and another set-up. Maybe add another $5 :confused2:

minigts
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Interested...obviously. ;)

Force Fed Mopar
01-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I'd buy an engraved set, whether it said Shelby or GLHS :) Or it could say both ;)

minigts
01-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm up for Shelby, but if you can do either that would be cool.

gkcooper
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Damn Fuzzman, I was just thinking of this yesterday morning. Only I need it on my IROC R/T. The stupid seatbelt cuts into my neck all the time.

fuzz's84Daytona
01-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Damn Fuzzman, I was just thinking of this yesterday morning. Only I need it on my IROC R/T. The stupid seatbelt cuts into my neck all the time.

Hey Greg, did they use the same design or it it that much different? I'm sure I can change it up some and make a spacer to go under it or something to that effect. The only thing with a spacer is that it changes the angle of the hole some or make the holes alittle bigger to allow for the angle change. If you got an extra one i can take some measurments off of, I can make you some and see how it looks :thumb:

supercrackerbox
01-29-2010, 03:28 AM
How do you get the belt through it?

TurboRon25
01-29-2010, 04:27 AM

sawzall.

Ron

gkcooper
01-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Hey Greg, did they use the same design or it it that much different? I'm sure I can change it up some and make a spacer to go under it or something to that effect. The only thing with a spacer is that it changes the angle of the hole some or make the holes alittle bigger to allow for the angle change. If you got an extra one i can take some measurments off of, I can make you some and see how it looks :thumb:

It didn't have it at all. But it really needs it.

fuzz's84Daytona
01-29-2010, 07:50 AM

This is just the first side to see if there is any interest in it. The finished product will have a slit in it, but we're getting input from everybody if they want it in the factory location or somewhere else.

rx2mazda
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm in.

minigts
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
It didn't have it at all. But it really needs it.

lol Man you made me get up to go look at my Daytona to see if it had them! hehe And i totally agree, they need it for my 92. Assuming there is a place to actually mount the bracket, I'd be in for both my cars, probably more just to have. :p

CobraT93
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd be interested in a pair, maybe two sets?

I'd also go for the "shelby" engraving.

gkcooper
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Since were local we could take a look-see at my Daytona and see what will fit. It will have to have some long screws to make it into the seat frame I'm assuming. Does your '84 have them?

minigts
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Since were local we could take a look-see at my Daytona and see what will fit. It will have to have some long screws to make it into the seat frame I'm assuming. Does your '84 have them?

Maybe straighten a paperclip and just push it in the headrest to see if there's something there to attach to or see how far in it goes?

fuzz's84Daytona
01-29-2010, 02:25 PM

I don't know, my '84 is long gone :( . I would hate to assume that a screw will go in and maybe hurt the upholstery, unless someone has a seat to open up and take some pics. :thumb:

supercrackerbox
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
If I still had my '86 I'd have gladly dissected the old seats to see, but I'm not cutting up any of the seats I have now. I'm headed to the junkyard in the morning, I could check there. Someone tell me exactly what you need to know and I'll see what I can find out.

4 l-bodies
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Would this friction not turn the seatbelts black over time? Looks nice!:thumb:

rbryant
01-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I am in and would like the SHELBY engraving.

It would probably be best to anodize them to avoid the belts and brackets going black from the friction... The anodizing would probably be about $80 for a lot which would you could probably do 50 or more of them in making it cheap if you do a lot and expensive if you do a few.

-Rich

minigts
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Would this friction not turn the seatbelts black over time? Looks nice!:thumb:

I am in and would like the SHELBY engraving.

It would probably be best to anodize them to avoid the belts and brackets going black from the friction... The anodizing would probably be about $80 for a lot which would you could probably do 50 or more of them in making it cheap if you do a lot and expensive if you do a few.

-Rich

I was thinking the same thing and that's good to know about anodizing Rich! Problem solved! Can they do a clear anodizing or does it have to be colored?

gkcooper
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey Fuzzy, I know the guys that own Aerostar plating in Huntsville. They are going to be doing some of our military plating. They are on Wholesale Ave, off Meridian. They do great work. LMK if you want thier contact info.

CDNTurboZ
01-31-2010, 05:19 PM
I would be in as well

TurboRon25
01-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing and that's good to know about anodizing Rich! Problem solved! Can they do a clear anodizing or does it have to be colored?

If you want it to look aluminum, it's best for it to be anodized in a "aluminum" color. Most clear anodization looks a little yellow and just isn't as pretty.

Ron

86seeS
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
im in for sure!!!!!!! where do i pay!

fuzz's84Daytona
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Fuzzy, I know the guys that own Aerostar plating in Huntsville. They are going to be doing some of our military plating. They are on Wholesale Ave, off Meridian. They do great work. LMK if you want thier contact info.

Hey Greg, we already use them and I'll try and get a lot charge on them.

So if these are going to be made, does everyone agree on the clear anodize? It would keep the cost lower if we all went with a single color.

minigts
01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
If you want it to look aluminum, it's best for it to be anodized in a "aluminum" color. Most clear anodization looks a little yellow and just isn't as pretty.

Ron

Hey Greg, we already use them and I'll try and get a lot charge on them.

So if these are going to be made, does everyone agree on the clear anodize? It would keep the cost lower if we all went with a single color.

I'm with this guy. Anodized aluminum would be my preference to keep it looking aluminum, but whatever is agreed by everyone is ok with me.

rbryant
02-01-2010, 03:12 AM

Yea regular anodizing is pretty cheap. The hard anodizing that I do for camber plates, etc is about 50% more. The lot charges are what kills you and makes it necessary to carry inventory because it is the same cost to do 1 as it is to do 50.

Most shops should have a polished aluminum color that would look great.

-Rich

Force Fed Mopar
02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Is there really that much friction just pulling the belt out?

rx2mazda
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Is there really that much friction just pulling the belt out?

put your finger on the edge of the belt and have someone pull it fast like there putting the belt on......now do that 1000 times and see if you still have a finger. :D

Force Fed Mopar
02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah but skin creates a lot more friction than aluminum :D I dunno, I guess I never rip the belt out that fast. There's not a lot of angle to the belt either going through it.

fuzz's84Daytona
02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Can I get a count of everybody wanting these and maybe a $5 deposit per set so I know exactly how many sets I need to make and afew extras? If I can engrave these (don't wanna piss off the trademark name) I can do the "SHELBY" logo, but I want to make sure that's what everybody wants. Also does everybody want the anodized or would that be an option? The reason I ask is because alot charge would be cheaper for more sets, but there has been interest for painted, powdercoated, and polished sets and maybe even filling in the logo with paint of different colors. I will try and go with the majority and try and be fair in all aspects of this project. The total price will be $35 per set shipped in the US and if there is interest in plating, there might be a slight difference in price. Let me know if this sounds good with all and if I missed something, please let me know.

Force Fed Mopar
02-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Have Paypal? I'll send you a $5 deposit right now :thumb: I just want a plain jane one, I can paint or powdercoat it myself later if I decide I want to. I don't really care to have it anodized.

Shelby logo is fine w/ me.

CobraT93
02-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'm in, just let me know where to send money!
Shelby logo sounds great to me too.
I also agree to the non-anodized finish, I'd like to polish mine!

rbryant
02-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Anodized can look polished.

TU's fuel rails for instance look just like polished and will stay that way.

Anyway I want a set and would be willing to pay a little extra for the polished look anodizing and the SHELBY (as long as the font looks good and isn't a total mismatch). The engraving isn't an absolute requirement it was just a thought.

BTW I find this font to be pretty close to our SHELBY font: http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/square-721/bold-extended/

-Rich

86seeS
02-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I'm in, just let me know where to send money!
Shelby logo sounds great to me too.
I also agree to the non-anodized finish, I'd like to polish mine!

+1shelby logo non anodized

Force Fed Mopar
02-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Hmm, looks like every one willing to put up money so far wants non-anodized lol.

minigts
02-02-2010, 08:17 AM
If anodizing will keep the belt from getting a stain on it over the years, I'll ask for anodizing. If it isn't a problem with aluminum, I'll go with the group. But I thought aluminum will rub off like other metals?

CobraT93
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd be almost positive that it will stain the belt over a course of time, but most of the miles on my car will be with the shoulder harness on, so the factory belts won't be used much often.
If the guy making them would prefer to sell them anodized, I would still buy them!
I just prefer a polished finish over anodized.....I like shiny things LOL!

fuzz's84Daytona
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I think we all like shiny things :amen: I'm using 7075-T751 Aluminum to make these and the "oil" in the material is not as bad as lower grade aluminum, but I still can see what a batch would cost to get done. I'm just trying to keep the cost low and don't want alot of options added to jack it back up :nod:

I should have the first batch done by the end of the week hopefully, as long as my machine doesn't get a "paying job" put on it. I'll let everybody know when and where to send payment and I'll also have pics. up later this week of the finished product.

JohnnyIroc
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
how would they look on the G body seats?
my thought was you can make something wrap around the support and come out under the headrest so you dont have to screw up your seats
similar to this picture but not so ugly
http://media.photobucket.com/image/cavalier%20seats/Mrbjeep/Cavilier%20Seats/P1010013.jpg

JohnnyIroc
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
the link is not showing up for me so here is a direct link
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/Mrbjeep/Cavilier%20Seats/P1010013.jpg

1984rampage
02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
bump!

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
bump!

how are these turning out ?
Like to see what you did with the shelby logo
and to see if the alumn. will flex enough to put the seatbelt through and close back up without the trim screw pulling through the seat sheetmetal

zin
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm also interested in a set or three, with the "Shelby" lasered onto them. I prefer silver/aluminum, black or natural. Nice that you are using 7075, kinda overkill for strength for this piece and it can be tricky to anodize it, other than hard ano in black... I will say that they would look awesome if they were polished 1st then Hard Anodized, just like we've done on our in-line 1/4 turn valve, see picture. It's such a deep black, it doesn't show too well here, but trust me, it looks very nice... Though I'd take them if they are as-machined!

Mike

fuzz's84Daytona
02-08-2010, 08:17 PM
how are these turning out ?
Like to see what you did with the shelby logo
and to see if the alumn. will flex enough to put the seatbelt through and close back up without the trim screw pulling through the seat sheetmetal

Well, you would be right about that :( I'm thinking of not putting it in and making the slot just big enough so it can be put thru without a slot. In some other cars that I've been looking at alot of them do go thru and when released, they will stop when its let go. Basically I can have it go thru long ways/sideways and I believe it will work great.

As far as getting them done, I'm re-tooling another job now and will get back to them later this week. I'll put pics. of the new design and how the belt will work thru the new slot also.

Keito
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm also interested in a set or three, with the "Shelby" lasered onto them. I prefer silver/aluminum, black or natural. Nice that you are using 7075, kinda overkill for strength for this piece and it can be tricky to anodize it, other than hard ano in black... I will say that they would look awesome if they were polished 1st then Hard Anodized, just like we've done on our in-line 1/4 turn valve, see picture. It's such a deep black, it doesn't show too well here, but trust me, it looks very nice... Though I'd take them if they are as-machined!

Mike

We annodize a ton of parts at work and always have problems with 7075.
Clear annodize would look great on a polished part.

rbryant
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
We annodize a ton of parts at work and always have problems with 7075.
Clear annodize would look great on a polished part.

Yea 7075 always seems to fade on the parts that I have seen.

It would be better to hard anodize some 6061. The hard anodize makes it stronger and it holds up nicely.

-Rich