PDA

View Full Version : Data Logging

turbo84voyager
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
What do I need to data log a SMEC? Is there informaiton were I can build or puchase the serial or USB interface?

Thanks!

Justin

1BADVAN
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
there is info in the KC about one for a LM you need that same USB to TTL convertor but set it up differently for a SMEC. board member "risen" is the expert on that pm him. He is awesome to help you get it going. I got one started but my car has been down for a while so it isn't all the way done

ShelGame
01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
It's actually very easy to hook up a FTDI USB Cable to the SCI port on a SMEC car. I should do a writeup. You put three 1/4" spade connectors on the FTDI cable, plug them into the right sockets on the SCI connector, and plug it into your USB port on your laptop. There's a little setup to do in the driver control panel (to invert the TTL Rx and Tx logic), and that's it. You can use that cable to datalog with SMECLogger or MPScan (once Morris publishes it), and you can use it to flash a flashable SMEC from MP Tuner. It will flash in about 6 seconds over USB, BTW...

The cable is $20 on Digikey.com - USB Cable (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=768-1028-ND)

If you want an actual old-style RS232 cable, that's a little more complicated. Because the TTL signals have to be inverted (0v = "Hi" and 5v = "Lo"), you need more circuitry than is usually included in the TTL-to-RS232 interfaces you'd find at robotics outlets. The FTDI cable above allows you to invert the TTL signlas from the driver setup - it's all built into the chip.

turbo84voyager
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have a link for SMECLogger? I had it at one point, but I cannot find it.

Thanks!

1BADVAN
01-27-2010, 07:39 PM
It's actually very easy to hook up a FTDI USB Cable to the SCI port on a SMEC car. I should do a writeup. You put three 1/4" spade connectors on the FTDI cable, plug them into the right sockets on the SCI connector, and plug it into your USB port on your laptop. There's a little setup to do in the driver control panel (to invert the TTL Rx and Tx logic), and that's it. You can use that cable to datalog with SMECLogger or MPScan (once Morris publishes it), and you can use it to flash a flashable SMEC from MP Tuner. It will flash in about 6 seconds over USB, BTW...

The cable is $20 on Digikey.com - USB Cable (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=768-1028-ND)

If you want an actual old-style RS232 cable, that's a little more complicated. Because the TTL signals have to be inverted (0v = "Hi" and 5v = "Lo"), you need more circuitry than is usually included in the TTL-to-RS232 interfaces you'd find at robotics outlets. The FTDI cable above allows you to invert the TTL signlas from the driver setup - it's all built into the chip.

I would love a write up and another guy to help me on mine. I got my cable to work on a LM with winlog and a plugin but it would never communicate to any of the T-SMEC cals I had.

cs daytona
01-27-2010, 11:47 PM
I recently got my logworks3 with the smec plugin running. For the cables i chopped up an old snapon sci connector, pulled out pins 1, 3, 4, and replaced them with spades that i crimped and soldered to some wire. For the tx/rx i had a spool of bmw airbag repair harness that comes twisted already, and a black wire for ground. I ran the harness to the dash where i spliced in an aux female plug (also bmw). For the cable i bought, go here: http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?productID=69&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=47 use the kc article for drivers, etc. so i just plug the usb cable to the aux plug inside the car when i need to log. Ive been using the logworks3 with my lc-1, but theres a simulator that you can use so you can use logworks software without having innovate stuff hooked up, but i havent tried that. Hope that helps :)

ShelGame
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have a link for SMECLogger? I had it at one point, but I cannot find it.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I posted it in the EFI section or the repository...

cs daytona
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
i wasnt able to find it in the repo or efi section, but i got mine from the d-cal yahoo group site. you have to have an account with them. justin, lemme know if you cant find it, i could probably email it to you

travis

ShelGame
01-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Here it is - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=430074&postcount=2

It's in the thread where I posted the modified cals that work with it. To use it, you'll need either of those cals. Or, T-SMEC v16.1 with the hi-speed logger option enabled and the baud rate set to 9600.

turbo84voyager
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys!

I have the cable on order and I got V16.1 ready to test, now all I need is the weather to cooperate.

risen
01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I would love a write up and another guy to help me on mine. I got my cable to work on a LM with winlog and a plugin but it would never communicate to any of the T-SMEC cals I had.

Did you have the high speed logger enabled in the cal?

1BADVAN
02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Did you have the high speed logger enabled in the cal?

I am not exactly sure i don't thinks so cause my OTC scanner works great but i am going to run a new cal and see what happens