PDA

View Full Version : 91 daytona shelby

mopardude
01-26-2010, 08:58 PM
i bought my first turbo dodge . this is my 91 shelby daytona 2.5 5 speed i love this car and am excitied to be in the turbo dodge club. right now the engine is out and being repaired due to a broken piston ring. any info on this car would be awsome i havent seen anthor with the maroon leather interior was this factory thanks for looking and any input. i hope the pic llink works i'm not to good with computer

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310/demondude340/

http://http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac310/demondude340/

turbokid
01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Looks factory to me man!
That is a very sweet ride you have. While you have the engine out I would suggest putting a garret t2 turbo on it. The small mitsu on the car is nice but alas the garret gives more of a KICK.
You have a high torque 2.5 hooked to the best trans these Dodges offer with an a568 trans
Great buy and good look fixing it up.
Q

JohnnyIroc
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Good looking car man!
White is the best color :thumb:
those seats are from an earlier model
these are the factory seats
http://i45.tinypic.com/oge93t.jpg

mopardude
01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
thanks for the info turbokid i had read about the garret swap and have already gotten a good garret turbo and all the lines. as for the seat thanks for the info john do you have a set of corect seats you would sell.

mopardude
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
i was cleaning my engine bay while the motor is out for a rebuild and discovered the car has a moper performance computer. can anyone tell me the benefits of this computer. also i have acces to a wrecked t2 daytaona still runs but not driveable or fixable. i was thinking of buying it and building the 2.2 for my car in the future is this a good idea or not if so what all is involved in the swap. thanks guys.

turbokid
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Why do you want to switch to a 2.2? The 2.5 in your car is great because the Daytona is so heavy. However it all depends on your goals for the car.
The mp computer is more agressive with boost, timing, and spark. They run the car A lot better. The good thing about getting the wrecked t2 Daytona would be the intercooler set up, the garret, the 2.2 and the a555 trans (though the a568 in your car is the best trans you can get).
It would be good to part and make money though

Vigo
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I agree with everything Turbokid is saying..

If you can get that whole car for cheap, you can probably make some money parting it. But definitely keep the radiator/intercooler setup, its a great upgrade for your car and bolts right in, unless its an earlier daytona than the mounting brackets for the radiator/intercooler will be slightly different but not hard to fix.

If you get a garrett and an intercooler on that thing, it'll feel like a whole different animal.

Also, i dont think there's a good reason to swap from a perfectly good 2.5 to a 2.2, especially when the car is basically stock. It would make the car slower. :)

Also, a garrett turbo and the mp computer are great mods for a stockish car, but the BEST mod and one that you NEED to make any real power is a high-flow exhaust! Check out the vendors here, FWD Performance and Turbos Unleashed both sell pre-bent mandrel-bent pipe kits that basically go right in.

I havent installed any of TU's exhausts but ive owned and installed a few of FWDs and they go in easy and are a great value for the money imo.:thumb:

JohnnyIroc
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
i agree completely on keeping the 2.5
the T2 can only be an 89 or older so the IC/rad setup will take a little bit of fabbing if you want a direct swap for the 91 find an IROC R/T IC/rad
and definitely put the T2 in there unless you want something bigger :eyebrows:
high flow exhaust
and keep that 568 for sure!!!

TurboRon25
01-29-2010, 01:42 AM
edit: how did I miss your post John?

I remember that car from craigslist. Piston ring, huh. That explains the clouds of smoke from the missing cam seal.

If you are getting parts from a TII Daytona, the rad/IC combo won't "bolt in". The TII would be 87-89 and in 90 they changed the radiator mounting. It will fit, just be prepared for some fabrication.

There are advantages to a 2.2 (let's not start another huge debate in this thread) but for a near stock Daytona street car, I still love and recommend the 2.5.
Instead of fixing your broken 2.5 it is usually cheaper to get a known running 2.5 and use that. You can always toss in some bearings, rings and seals for good measure. High mileage 2.5s will usually have piston slap (not a "problem" other than some noise). If you are taking it apart for bearings and stuff, that would be a good time to take care of the piston slap.

+1 to the garrett and a healthy exhaust.

enjoy

Ron

TurboRon25
01-29-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh yeah.
The rear wheels are going the wrong way. Swap right and left. There are arrows on them to show direction of rotation.

Ron

22shelby
01-29-2010, 02:01 AM
High mileage 2.5s will usually have piston slap (not a "problem" other than some noise). If you are taking it apart for bearings and stuff, that would be a good time to take care of the piston slap.

+1 to the garrett and a healthy exhaust.

enjoy

Ron

piston slap???? more like piston CLANK!!!!! but right not an issue, guess thats what u get w/ a stroke motor...

haha i too have white shelby iroc daytona.... thing..... not sure what trim it is, it says shelby... but its an auto,

heres a vid of mine and JTs getting down.... fyi mines a SBE 2.5L w/ a G head....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57FnAbdAic

so far the quickest Auto daytona on TM....

blk86trbo
01-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Know anyone interested in a maroon 90+ dash? I've got one that's really nice and would let go for cheap if picked up.

trbowgn
01-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Nice looking car and good engine/trans combo. If you have the motor out do not put it back in with the Mitsu turbo. You will just be pulling it back apart to put a garret on or wishing you had done so when you had it apart.
What year is the TII daytona you are looking at? If it is an 89 it will have the 2.5" swing valve on the turbo which is a big plus. Also it will be a common block TII which is a valued set up.
87-88 are good but as far as TIIs go 89 was the best year.

mopardude
01-29-2010, 12:25 PM
thanks for all the input guys. i am putting new bearings and all in the 2.5 had to get one new piston all others were fine. it was pretty tuff finding a .5mm over mahle piston but finally found a good used one. i am a chrysler tech so all engine work will be done by me. i already have a garret mounted and ready to go also have a 2.5 swingvalve. the parts daytona is a 88. good eye this is a car off of craigslist was a little high at 800.00 so but we finally met at a fair price i think. i'm really glad to have so much input from you guys. ihope to have the body done this summer but right now my challenger is in the way so that will have to get done first lol. as for exhaust it has 2.5 now but no muffler any suggestions on what muffler i'm use to v8s and hate that high pitched honda sound.. thanks again guys

Vigo
01-29-2010, 12:46 PM
The TII would be 87-89 and in 90 they changed the radiator mounting. It will fit, just be prepared for some fabrication.

I got my t2 rad/ic in the spirit from a 90 daytona, and it bolted right in with the newer mounts.. yep, it was a VNT. Looks just like a t2 to the uninitiated. :)

blk86trbo
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
good eye this is a car off of craigslist was a little high at 800.00 so but we finally met at a fair price i think.

I too inquired about your Daytona...was just a little too much for condition on top of my drive...glad to hear that you agreed on a price.

One question...a couple of us were trying to figure out what the mark on the front end is...did someone spin a wheel on it?

BTW welcome to the site, and good choice on the Daytona...91 is a good year :thumb:

mopardude
01-29-2010, 01:09 PM
lol that was one of my first questions was about the mark. he said he had it at his buddies body shop and they were drinking a little to heavy and someone laid a da sander on the hood and by accident hit the trigger. i ended up paying 630.00 for the car and extra wheels i hope i did alright on the price

blk86trbo
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
lol that was one of my first questions was about the mark. he said he had it at his buddies body shop and they were drinking a little to heavy and someone laid a da sander on the hood and by accident hit the trigger. i ended up paying 630.00 for the car and extra wheels i hope i did alright on the price

Yeah I think you did good on the price as long as the floors are decent, and you didn't have to drive far. Did you get his spare trans? I asked the guy what type it was (520/523/568 etc) but not sure if I ever found out.

mopardude
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
no i didnt get the xtra trans it was a 520. and wasnt even there when i pickup the car he said the trans was at a friends house 40 miles away so i passed. i had to drive about 7 hours rouund trip so not to bad ive gone farther for a car before lol.

22shelby
01-30-2010, 02:14 AM
i have a 3 inch dp into a 3"x18" bullet muffler, no cat, and i think it sounds mean!!!, u wont have to worry about the tinnie Vtak sound, they sound like a very pretty V8 only 4 less cylinder.... very unique sounding..... kindof subaru unique....

plus once the waste gate open its just pur mayham from there on out!!!

this was "my" take on the TD sound, brought to you by 2.2Shelby....

22shelby
01-30-2010, 02:23 AM
here a decent example of what a pretty stock 2.5 sounds like w/ the bullet muff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oiI2CofaVQ&feature=related

oh btw this was my first pass on the car.

TurboRon25
01-30-2010, 03:46 AM
These cars sound great with just pipe out the back or a muffler that is 'too loud' for an N/A car.

I've been running open down pipe for 12 years. The car is no longer a daily driver, but I never got pulled over for loud exhaust. It's not for everybody, but you'd be surprised how tame a down pipe with a turn down can be. If you get the sound out the back it's really pretty quiet in the car. As long as cops aren't too picky in your area, that would be my recommendation. Then if it's too much for you, a muffler can always be added later. If you want or need a muffler, just get a straight thru type.

It's impossible to make a turbo 2.2/2.5 sound like rice.

Ron

CobraT93
01-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Jaren, what the hell happened? Were you asleep at the wheel?? Vette had like 5-6 cars on you easy before you even moved??? You snooze you lose, you chase you race.....shoulda just stayed put and re-run the race.....