PDA

View Full Version : '91 Daytona Tach

supercrackerbox
01-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Now if this was an L-body, I wouldn't even have to question this. The Tach on the Daytona has started dying on me. Basically it just falls dead until the interior warms up (above freezing) and then it comes back to life and is fine. Now I still don't know what all the BCM controls in the car, but does this sound like a BCM issue or the gauge itself?

Abkshelby
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Very likely it is a problem with your circuit board on your instrument cluster. I had this problem on my '90 Daytona. The '90 and '91 boards on the clusters had less than stellar solder on the joints. I screwed with mine trying to fix it and never did get the solder any better. I solved my problem by getting a board from a '93 Daytona. Has worked perfectly since. Then there is that turn signal switch not working half the time that will eventually show up on yours.......

blk86trbo
01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Then there is that turn signal switch not working half the time that will eventually show up on yours.......

Was also having problems with a 92 Daytona and multiple turn signal switches. A little investigating showed that the small receptacle on the circuit board (that the actual wires from the switch plugged into) had broken solder joints....It wouldn't pull free, but you could wiggle it back and forth. I went over all those joints again with a soldering iron and re-flowed them, and no more issues.

Makes me wonder if all those other turn signal switches were good in the first place...

BadAssPerformance
01-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Makes me wonder if all those other turn signal switches were good in the first place...

I think yer right! I sent Ken a '91 switch and it didnt fix his problem, I think it was a solder joint! LOL!

supercrackerbox
01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually my turn signal works great, except it won't hold in position- I have to hold it down when I'm turning. I already have a new one that feels like it works, but haven't attempted to install it yet. I busted the dash of the junkyard car that it came out of, and have been afraid to mess with mine.

blk86trbo
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I busted the dash of the junkyard car that it came out of, and have been afraid to mess with mine.

I hear ya there...the engineers did a poor job designing the bosses in the dash and associated plastic pieces. All that stuff breaks off if you tighten it too much :(

JohnnyIroc
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
yeah i would change out the circuit board I'm doing the same on my 91
i dont think i have anymore 92-93 gauge clusters though
i do have 2 90-91 style but that doesn't help hah
and the button pod at the top u can actually use a socket on them that's what i do

supercrackerbox
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I think I'll start by seeing if any of my local friends have any skill soldering circuit boards. I can rock with wiring, never tried a circuit board though.

i do have 2 90-91 style but that doesn't help hah

I'm confused. My car is a '91.:confused2:

JohnnyIroc
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
the 92-93 is the better one and the 90-91 circuit boards always have problems

supercrackerbox
01-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Ahhh, I got ya. So I can run the later board with my current gauges? I'd prefer not to swap out my speedometer as it still shows original mileage.

JohnnyIroc
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah the board will still work with it just about positive i have swapped a board before to make one work
i am going to check it in a day or 2 when i pull the cluster out of my Iroc
so i can tell you if it is exactly the same or not

martin kolner
01-28-2010, 01:04 AM
90-95 J & G body dashes are a challenge compared to the earlier ones for sure. If you take the time to remove all the screws before yanking the cluster parts out then there will be less damage. Take extreme care when removing the switches from the buttons so the small black plastic clips don't break....these can be replaced with other ones if they do break. The buttons can also be replaced if broken. There seems to be NO aftermarket on any of the switches on the curved pods on these cars and the T/signal switch is the most likely to fail.
I own a 92 IROC R/T and find the switches to be confusing to use at best and the placement of the T/signal lever a brilliant design by someone who didn't bother to drive a car around for a few years to see if it was a good idea in application. I think it feels cheesy and cheap and it always feels like it's going to break.

JohnnyIroc
01-28-2010, 01:08 AM
on the later model le baron you can get an on the column turn signal
looks pretty cool

supercrackerbox
01-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I think it feels cheesy and cheap and it always feels like it's going to break.

I always thought that too, but now that I've gotten used to it I can at least say that the placement is perfect. Just could have been made a little more durable.