PDA

View Full Version : SRT wiring issue

J&H Ryan
01-21-2010, 01:15 AM
So I bought this 2003 SRT-4, and if worse comes to worse, I'll just swap out the wiring harness from the parts SRT, but any idea what I should look into before ripping everything out and starting over?

Description from prev owner:

had a wire under the dash rub against steel support for dash and arched causing 4 additional wires to melt together, pulled dash apart repaired wires and the following works but nothing else...keyless entry, headlights, tail lights, heater/ac controls, horn, dome light, and the "door" icon on the digital display...car does not turn over, the fuel pump does not prime, no additional displays on digital display meaning, check engine light, odometer, etc...checked all fuses to find good, is there a main fuse somewhere im not seeing? checked fuses under hood and under dash...any other ideas? could it have burned up the pcm?

DodgeZ
01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
both harnesses or just the dash?

J&H Ryan
01-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I don't know as its been taped up under the dash and I'm not sure the prev owner (who is very knowledgeable about them, not some kid ricer) didn't know what was wrong. Dodge told him it was likely a bad harness and wanted to replace the whole thing, and a Toyota dealer tech (a friend) came over and said it was a short somewhere or the computer was fried. I don't know jack in particular about neons like I do old school TMs, just wondering if this sounded symptomatic of a more common issue.

rich tideswell
01-21-2010, 08:14 AM
What year is the donor harness from, there are differences between the years.......

J&H Ryan
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
What year is the donor harness from, there are differences between the years.......

2004 is the donor

thumperz
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Isn't there a way to test the pin outs on the pcm to check for damage?

shelbymonster
01-22-2010, 10:24 AM
look like the computer is fried , but did you test if you have power to the fuse box , i would look if power goes everywhere before starting to change everything

shelbymonster
01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
look at the connector under the dash to the firewall , im sure its your problem

srtlou
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
does the litle red light on the dash stay on when you try and crank it

srtlou
01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Locate the black PCM plug
find the red wire with white stripe see if you have power there if you do the pcm is gone

J&H Ryan
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok, I will check on that and report back here.

slowneon
01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
If you have access to a obd II scanner hook it up and see if any modules are present on the bus. If you can communicate with the pcm see if there is any stored codes. If you cannot communicate with the pcm than check all powers and grounds to the pcm. If the power and grounds are all good than the pcm is likely bad. However the mileage is stored in the cluster if I remember right so you could have a problem with the cluster. Also after three attempts to start the engine if the pcm doesn’t receive the secret key code from the skreem module it will stop cranking. Normally when this happens a little red light on the cluster lights up to let you know that security system has been activated.

J&H Ryan
02-22-2010, 12:48 PM
it was a blown fuse - guy got rid of the car over a blown fuse. It looked good, but had a micro crack.

raccoon
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
lol, congratulations.

assumptions own us all!

MR. X
03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
it was a blown fuse - guy got rid of the car over a blown fuse. It looked good, but had a micro crack.

I still cant believe I missed it on the visual inspection. LOL