PDA

View Full Version : early 04

ohiorob
01-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I needed to replace my rotted out 94 1500. it's been a damn good truck but the frame is getting bad.
just bought a 04 2500 2WD longbed quad cab 5.9l . Was a work truck in Texas so its a little beat up but only has 118,000 miles on it. so far it's getting about 24 MPG empty. dose the word heavy duty on the tail gate mean anything? I know very little about the diesel trucks and would like to know more. whats the good side bad side of the early 04?

BadAssPerformance
01-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Congrats on the new truck! :clap:

'04 should be a good year, no converters on it like '05? 118k on a CTD.. its nto even broken in yet :thumb:

The DR body *should* be more duable with rust than the older BR... but being a TX truck, its prolly not undercoated, look for any bare metal (from sandblastig from dirt roads) inside the bedsides or floor that may need to be painted/protected. My White Dakota was from AZ and the previous owner said when he got it the floor was shiny!

Some years, 2500 got "Heavy Duty" badges to help distinguish from a 1500.

ohiorob
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
thanks, now i need to upgrade my trailer.

Turbodave
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a nice truck Rob. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks got the "Heavy Duty" badges on the tailgate, they were bigger in 2003-2004 than later years but like JT said it's just denoting that it's more than just a 1/2 ton.

My 05 rusted through on the bedsides already and was fixed under warranty, but it has always been a salt-belt truck. There are some holes in the inner fenders lips you can get a straw through and spray some oil into the seam to help prevent this.

On my 05 you can feel the seat frame through the foam, which gets annoying on longer trips, fix for that is too add more foam under the seat.

I think you'll really come to like the bigger truck, the brakes alone are worth the change, much more confident with a trailer.

Subliminal
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow...that much rusting on a 5 year old truck...that sucks! I think that'd make me really angry.

Of course (knock on wood) my 91 has no rust at the moment...and I plan to keep it that way. ;)

DodgeZ
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I needed to replace my rotted out 94 1500. it's been a damn good truck but the frame is getting bad.
just bought a 04 2500 2WD longbed quad cab 5.9l . Was a work truck in Texas so its a little beat up but only has 118,000 miles on it. so far it's getting about 24 MPG empty. dose the word heavy duty on the tail gate mean anything? I know very little about the diesel trucks and would like to know more. whats the good side bad side of the early 04?

auto or 6speed? 24mpg, is that hand calculated or from the overhead display? Oh and the diesel forums are full of tards...

Turbo3Iroc
01-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Nice upgrade Rob! I think they changed the seats after 04. I have heard a few guys complain about sitting on the seat frame in the later trucks but mine are great.

BIGBRUDDA
01-21-2010, 08:08 AM
New truck, lookin for a new trailer......................................you chasin Reeves agin Rob?:D

ohiorob
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Dave
the seats are nice and comfy. Diesel, 4 doors and big brakes was my requirement.

DodgeZ
it's a auto and i used the over head display for my MPG. I know it's not accurate. I can dream can't I :D

ohiorob
01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
New truck, lookin for a new trailer......................................you chasin Reeves agin Rob?:D

and it's the same color too.

DodgeZ
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice upgrade Rob! I think they changed the seats after 04. I have heard a few guys complain about sitting on the seat frame in the later trucks but mine are great.

06's did. I agree they do kind of suck in the 06's.

Dave
the seats are nice and comfy. Diesel, 4 doors and big brakes was my requirement.

Just look at the size of the rear end in that think. HUGE. with that said they aren't cheap, change the fluid in it.

DodgeZ
it's a auto and i used the over head display for my MPG. I know it's not accurate. I can dream can't I :D

I am pretty sure you'll have a 48RE trans which is what everyone wants or upgrades specs to. You may have a 47re but I am pretty sure all 04 got the 48re. There were SO and HO, standard output and high output. I know there were different parts for the SO/HO and mid year changes.

If I were you I'd look for an upgraded TC. You don't need one of those 1500dollar triple disc ones either. Just a good brand heavy duty one. Then get a shift kit, clean out the valve body. There are a couple solenoids you may want to replace while you are in there. The stock TC tend to shed metal that clogs the solenoids up. If you don't have any shifting issues you can prolly just clean them out. My 05 had issues not wanting to shift in to 1st at stops. 48re with 110,000 miles on it.

Take a look at these sites, I'd give them a call and ask what they recommend
http://www.transmissionsone.com/
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A500_42RE_44RE_44RH_42RH_Transmission_Solenoids_s/16124.htm

Also take a look here.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/222490-03-04-5-ho-same-04-5-a.html

The overhead is pretty close to being right if the stock tires are used and no chip. A lot of time the tires aren't factory size so the overhead and even hand calculated aren't right. I see around 16 towing and 21-22 unloaded on the highway running 70mph. Have a smarty and tow on the 30hp setting.

Here is a good programmer
http://mads-electronics.com/mads-electronics-smarty-S-06-POD.htm
170hp gain with just a flash :) upgraded TC needed

Sgt Craig
01-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Just look at the size of the rear end in that think. HUGE. with that said they aren't cheap, change the fluid in it.

I am pretty sure you'll have a 48RE trans which is what everyone wants or upgrades specs to. You may have a 47re but I am pretty sure all 04 got the 48re. There were SO and HO, standard output and high output. I know there were different parts for the SO/HO and mid year changes.

If I were you I'd look for an upgraded TC. You don't need one of those 1500dollar triple disc ones either. Just a good brand heavy duty one. Then get a shift kit, clean out the valve body. There are a couple solenoids you may want to replace while you are in there. The stock TC tend to shed metal that clogs the solenoids up. If you don't have any shifting issues you can prolly just clean them out. My 05 had issues not wanting to shift in to 1st at stops. 48re with 110,000 miles on it.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A500_42RE_44RE_44RH_42RH_Transmission_Solenoids_s/16124.htm

Also take a look here.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/222490-03-04-5-ho-same-04-5-a.html

The overhead is pretty close to being right if the stock tires are used and no chip. A lot of time the tires aren't factory size so the overhead and even hand calculated aren't right. I see around 16 towing and 21-22 unloaded on the highway running 70mph. Have a smarty and tow on the 30hp setting.

03 was the only year for HO and SO.04 they where all HO.When I bought my 03 in Nov of 02 the Auto with the HO wasnt even available yet.All 04 Auto's have a 48RE.48Re are hit or miss some last some dont.The 05 I drove had 240k on it before it let go(Convertor).The remans after it last maybe 30k.Finally my old boss spent the money and had a built one put in it.

Having driven quite a few of those generation trucks the 03-04.5 is the best ones IMO.You got the commonrail and NV5600 6spd.I didnt care at all for the G56 6spd or the New 6.7.I never had a chance to drive a 6.7 with the 6spd auto though.

Sgt Craig
01-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a nice truck Rob. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks got the "Heavy Duty" badges on the tailgate, they were bigger in 2003-2004 than later years but like JT said it's just denoting that it's more than just a 1/2 ton.

My 05 rusted through on the bedsides already and was fixed under warranty, but it has always been a salt-belt truck. There are some holes in the inner fenders lips you can get a straw through and spray some oil into the seam to help prevent this.

On my 05 you can feel the seat frame through the foam, which gets annoying on longer trips, fix for that is too add more foam under the seat.

I think you'll really come to like the bigger truck, the brakes alone are worth the change, much more confident with a trailer.

Dave you should see my seat with 221k on it.It has a hole where the seat frame rubbed through.My biggest complaint about the truck is the dam seats.I want some SRT-10 seats so badly.

Thats crazy about your bed side.Only rust on mine is on the inside lip of the tailgate.I guess it helps I dont drive mine in the snow at all.

Evilancer
01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
03 was the only year for HO and SO.04 they where all HO.When I bought my 03 in Nov of 02 the Auto with the HO wasnt even available yet.All 04 Auto's have a 48RE.48Re are hit or miss some last some dont.The 05 I drove had 240k on it before it let go(Convertor).The remans after it last maybe 30k.Finally my old boss spent the money and had a built one put in it.

Having driven quite a few of those generation trucks the 03-04.5 is the best ones IMO.You got the commonrail and NV5600 6spd.I didnt care at all for the G56 6spd or the New 6.7.I never had a chance to drive a 6.7 with the 6spd auto though.

The first half of '04 they still offered the S.O. and H.O. engines. The second half of the '04 model year is when the switch to the 325hp/600tq motor was fased in.

Also, 2003 and early '04's don't have a converter in the exhaust, once the 325hp motor started being used it got a converter in the exhaust.

The 6.7 and auto is a really nice combination, you can manually up and downshift thru the gears with a button on the shift lever, and the truck comes with a factory exhaust brake. Makes slowing down with a heavy load behind you not a big deal.

ohiorob
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Also take a look here.

Thanks a Ton. very good info there. I'm going to park it for a few month. pull the tranny pan , under coat the truck real good and get it ready for at least 10 years of service.

Sgt Craig
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
The first half of '04 they still offered the S.O. and H.O. engines. The second half of the '04 model year is when the switch to the 325hp/600tq motor was fased in.

Also, 2003 and early '04's don't have a converter in the exhaust, once the 325hp motor started being used it got a converter in the exhaust.

The 6.7 and auto is a really nice combination, you can manually up and downshift thru the gears with a button on the shift lever, and the truck comes with a factory exhaust brake. Makes slowing down with a heavy load behind you not a big deal.

The Manual 6.7 I drove had the exhaust brake too.It worked great but i hated it other wise.I have 221k on my 03,put 200k on a 05 2wd 1 ton auto,130k on a 05 4wd 1 Ton auto,and 50k or so on a 05 4wd SRW 1 ton G56 6spd.Who knows how many miles I put on the 99 7.3 I ton SRW Ford.I also put a few miles on a 6.0 Dually Ford.Truck rode great,was very comfortable but ran like crap.

bakes
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
nice truck
Time for a banks 6 gun . I love mine i gained 2-3 mpg and upped the power i can get 20-22 mpg while i tow a 35' 5th wheel on the flats

DodgeZ
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
nice truck
Time for a banks 6 gun . I love mine i gained 2-3 mpg and upped the power i can get 20-22 mpg while i tow a 35' 5th wheel on the flats

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-talk/85038d1260118484-1300-hp-out-production-302-block-huge_bs_flag.gif

Turbodave
01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
What's BS is having to scroll 3 times down your screen to read someone's monster BS flag

DodgeZ
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
what's bs is having to scroll 3 times down your screen to read someone's monster bs flag

yeah :D

bakes
01-25-2010, 10:00 PM
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/5-0l-talk/85038d1260118484-1300-hp-out-production-302-block-huge_bs_flag.gif

What the Frack is BS !!!!!!!!! :mad:

DodgeZ
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
What the Frack is BS !!!!!!!!! :mad:

A BattleStar fan I see? :thumb:

Reeves
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

and it's the same color too.

Now you just need a white 24' enclosed trailer! Then we can really be rolling together in style!!!

Oh, and add 17x9 wheels and 35x12.50 tires. We be brothers fo sho!

glhs0426
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Rob,

When you service the rear axle pay close attention to the line embossed into the cover. It's the fill line!

John

Reeves
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Rob,

When you service the rear axle pay close attention to the line embossed into the cover. It's the fill line!

John

You'd think instead of adding the line for the fill, they would have just moved the fill hole to the correct position!

That has screwed a lot of people!

ohiorob
02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Rob,

John

Thanks

ohiorob
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Now you just need a white 24' enclosed trailer! Then we can really be rolling together in style!!!

Oh, and add 17x9 wheels and 35x12.50 tires. We be brothers fo sho!

picked up a old 20' enclosed trailer, very good shape but needs tires and some TLC.

NO big tires for my truck, going to leave it pretty much stock.

Reeves
02-07-2010, 02:42 PM
picked up a old 20' enclosed trailer, very good shape but needs tires and some TLC.

NO big tires for my truck, going to leave it pretty much stock.

No kidding? You got an enclosed trailer too?
Let's see, you long bed truck with 20ft trailer and my short bed truck with 24' trailer should look very close to the same going down the interstate!
What color is your trailer? Mine is white with natural aluminum trim.

Oh, and you CAN'T leave it stock. You gotta pay the Cummins tax, which is minimum of a programmer (box) and it should have the cat removed if it has one.

DodgeZ
02-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh, and you CAN'T leave it stock. You gotta pay the Cummins tax, which is minimum of a programmer (box) and it should have the cat removed if it has one.

I left my 06 stock. I have straight pipe and a smarty on the 05. It is a different feeling getting that big long heavy thing sideways from a rolling burn out. LOL

ohiorob
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
the trailer is beige and it almost looks like it has house siding on it but it's not.
it's a 1987.

Sgt Craig
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
No kidding? You got an enclosed trailer too?
Let's see, you long bed truck with 20ft trailer and my short bed truck with 24' trailer should look very close to the same going down the interstate!
What color is your trailer? Mine is white with natural aluminum trim.

I had 100 k on mine before I did anything and that was a CAI,then mbrp 4 inch and a bully dog down loader.Have you guys checked out www.innertruck.com I put one of there fuel vent kits on mine years ago.Made a huge difference on filling up. I also have a 91 Gal Aux tank if anyone is interested.

ohiorob
02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
you guys got me thinking :eyebrows:. I'm broke right now and it looks like i'll be broke for a long time but Hey it's worth it :)

Reeves
02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I had 100 k on mine before I did anything and that was a CAI,then mbrp 4 inch and a bully dog down loader.Have you guys checked out www.innertruck.com I put one of there fuel vent kits on mine years ago.Made a huge difference on filling up. I also have a 91 Gal Aux tank if anyone is interested.

I'm interested, got pics?

DodgeZ
02-08-2010, 10:24 AM
you guys got me thinking :eyebrows:. I'm broke right now and it looks like i'll be broke for a long time but Hey it's worth it :)

so what did you get?

Sgt Craig
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm interested, got pics?

No unfortunately and it's buried in front of the Dart.DOH! Its a 91 Gallon RDS Diamond Plate tank.It does fit below the newer 03 up Ram bed rails.It will fit under a Toneu cover aslong as its not a roll up top.The fill neck will barely touch it.It can be set up as a Transfer tank(Hand pump),gravity fed or a external electric pump(Included)The external pump That comes with it is a just a universal electric pump I had rigged up with a relay and switch and filter.The tank was T'd into the vent tube.It saved me alot of money when I was hauling trailers for a living.The tank was always under a toneu or in my garage.I can bring it to the swap meet the ohio chapter is having in April or SDAC.