PDA

View Full Version : diesel swap q's

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Sooooo, some a-hole passed me in a turn down a small road and then ran into the front of my truck
'92 4x2 cummins

I really want to swap it into a '73-'79 ford 4x4 (hold the hate mail)
but I was wondering how much work if possible to swap to a gas dodge pick-up?
I found a 6-cyl. stick 4x4

can I swap the motor, mounts, harness ect.. over to the 4x4?
I'm not looking into making a tractor puller from it
but will the 1/2 rears work o.k.
will the oil pan clear? is the frame the same?
Am I missing anything important?

thanks
Bruce

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 08:08 PM
It will be all custom-mounts, etc so the only way is to mock it up and make up as you go along. Not sure if the oil pan will clear but that should be obvious.

As for the harness, what harness? The 92's need a couple wires so that will be very simple, :nod:

Subliminal
01-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Ask this guy...hist truck is friggin amazing! That body style of ford is my absolute favorite truck!

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/78-ford-crew-cab-conversion-t240062.html?&highlight=ford+swap

Subliminal
01-18-2010, 08:29 AM
...and another:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cummins-conversions-shop-talk-tools-fabrication/83291-1974-ford-cummins-crew-cab.html

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
thanks for the link
I've seen those already
there's http://fordcummins.com/
they specialize in any cummins into any year ford
I'm just having trouble finding an affordable ford donor truck
I had a quite a few nice ones but let them all go over the years
Last one I sold is back up for sale but the guy trashed it :mad:

what I looking for now is
will the diesel swap into a dodge gas truck 4x4?
not ideal but will the 1/2 ton chassis handle it?

dds78910
01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been looking into doing this to my 78 Ramcharger so I have been researching this and I have come accross so people who have ran a 1st gen cummins with dana 44's and havent had any problems but I guess it all depends on how hard you are on things. It sounds like you already have a donor truck with all the parts need for the swap. I would try and use the Dodge running gear and frame under the Ford, or at least use the axles since you have them.

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
dodge gas 4x4

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
what I looking for now is
will the diesel swap into a dodge gas truck 4x4?
not ideal but will the 1/2 ton chassis handle it?

Not sure on that, maybe the same as above, custom mounts, :confused:

What year Dodge truck, some frames are pretty good, some pretty wimpy. Will you be towing with it or ?

bakes
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
it will snap a half ton rear end so you have to swap the rear as well
as for the frame will take it it was the same fram used till 94

bakes
01-18-2010, 03:59 PM
i recomend a diesel rat rod

WickedShelby88
01-19-2010, 01:03 AM
I was looking at swapping the 4 cylinder version of the 12V 6 and it didn't seem to bad to go into an RC. The main thing was beefing up the frame in the front and 3/4 ton springs and axles. Besides that and the T-case issue which you wouldn't have since you can just removed the tailshaft housing on the trans IIRC. I imagine your donor vehicle already needs spring whether it looks like it or not. Old springs suck anyhow. Sounds like a sweet idea to me.

dds78910
01-19-2010, 04:58 AM
I was looking at swapping the 4 cylinder version of the 12V 6 and it didn't seem to bad to go into an RC. The main thing was beefing up the frame in the front and 3/4 ton springs and axles. Besides that and the T-case issue which you wouldn't have since you can just removed the tailshaft housing on the trans IIRC. I imagine your donor vehicle already needs spring whether it looks like it or not. Old springs suck anyhow. Sounds like a sweet idea to me.

I would love to do a 4bt swap, but they are getting harder to find and they cost more than the 6bt's that I find. I would be Ideal for me and anyone wanting to swap into a 1/2 truck. Cause I dont want to swap out my running gear, unless I find a good deal on a wrecked cummins. A couple months ago my boss picked up a 91 4x4 cummins that was rolled for $500 and it still ran. Thats the kind of deal I need to find.

Johnny
01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
When Dodge put the diesel in the truck in 89 the frames (on hard use) were twisting. Thats why they went to the larger frame in 92. Thus the reason when I bought mine, I looked for a 92 or 93.
The swap works good in a Ramcharger because they don't use it like a truck.

mcsvt
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Can we put it in my Durango Bruce? :)

"Top Fuel" Bender
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
When Dodge put the diesel in the truck in 89 the frames (on hard use) were twisting. Thats why they went to the larger frame in 92. Thus the reason when I bought mine, I looked for a 92 or 93.
The swap works good in a Ramcharger because they don't use it like a truck.

Can we put it in my Durango Bruce? :)

I heard twist issues but wasn't sure what the actual story was specific to
thanks

SURE
I saw 2 durango swaps so far, 1 acutally used the 4bt (4cyl) version

I maybe leaning back toward the ford swap
my friend still has his '77or '78 Ford bigblock 4x4 stick black
find out more this weekend it was redone 12 years ago

12v cummins '73-74 grill, dodge seat, auto overdrive trans, 4" lift (for now) :evil:

jonnyb
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Your 6BT is pretty much a direct drop in for any dodge ram from 72 to 93. The motor/body mounts in the frame were all the same for those 20+ years. Like Johnny said though, 91.5-93 250/350's had some extra supports in the frame for the diesel motor, so that would be the best bet if you want to find a cheap gasser to swap it into.

I've been researching this for a couple years and have been looking for the right donor truck (and the time) to do a 6BT swap into my 73 Winnibago 18D. It's a sweet 18 foot class A that sits on a dodge chasis with a very tired old 318 (5-6 mpg with a 60 mph top speed...LOL). I chatted with a guy online about a year ago who had done a swap from a 91.5 350 into his 72 Winnibago and he said it was a direct drop in and only needed to do some work to get the radiator and intercooler to fit correctly (and of course he had to wire up some stuff for the overdrive etc). He swapped out a 440 for the cummins and said he went from 7 mpg with a 65 mph top speed, to 15 mpg and the ability to cruise effortlessly at 70 mph. :hail:

Force Fed Mopar
01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah the 1/2-ton chassis is pretty much too light for any sort of heavy work w/ the Cummins in there. Even on the 92-93, the Cummins frames were heavier and better braced than a gas engine frame. Physically the engine will bolt right in, no custom mounts needed as the frame layout is the same from 72-93.

My buddy want to do the same thing as you, put one into a '79 Ford 4x4 w/ a rollback bed on it and late-model diffs.