PDA

View Full Version : Stupid axle question!

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I had a guy ask about axles for his 1st Gen Neon, that he's put a SRT engine and 3 speed auto in, I said to use SRT axles but he said they are different auto to manual, I thought they were the same?

rich tideswell
01-17-2010, 08:25 PM
If he's using his original Neon auto trans, he needs the DSS axles for his car - and to beef up the trans.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=45

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Ok, he knows about that, but are the SRT axles the same as regular Neon axles, fitment wise?

rich tideswell
01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
no, the srt-4 neon is a bigger car in almost every dimension and not much is transferable from one generation to another. no free lunch with this swap.

on a first gen, the axles are different from auto to manual. not sure what or why they're different, just know they are.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Ok, thanks.

Force Fed Mopar
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM
The spline in the hub is also smaller on the 1st Gens.

looneytuner
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't know if it would work, but I have an Quaife for the 03 Srt.

contraption22
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
If he's using his original Neon auto trans, he needs the DSS axles for his car - and to beef up the trans.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=45

Honestly, I wouldn't trust DSS axles as far as I can throw them. Actually I have seen them fail in less distance than I can probably throw them.

For a 1st Gen Neon with an auto trans, use regular 2nd Gen neon spindles. You have to machine them down a bit to fit the 1st gen struts. If you're interested, I will find out exactly how much for you. Then use a 88-up L-body long-side axle and a GPHK body short-side axle and you're golden.

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't trust DSS axles as far as I can throw them. Actually I have seen them fail in less distance than I can probably throw them.

For a 1st Gen Neon with an auto trans, use regular 2nd Gen neon spindles. You have to machine them down a bit to fit the 1st gen struts. If you're interested, I will find out exactly how much for you. Then use a 88-up L-body long-side axle and a GPHK body short-side axle and you're golden.

Ok, I'll let him know, that's probably his best bet. Thanks, I love this site, :love:

Sgt Craig
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Easier way to do it mike.Use Shadow Bearings in the 1st Gen knuckles.Thats what i ran in the Turbo Neon when my DSS bearings took a crap.

I never had a problem with my old tubular DSS stage 3 axles.I had them in 3 different Neons and never broke one.bent the long one but didnt break it.

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Easier way to do it mike.Use Shadow Bearings in the 1st Gen knuckles.Thats what i ran in the Turbo Neon when my DSS bearings took a crap.

Wow, great, thanks.

Sgt Craig
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I had a guy ask about axles for his 1st Gen Neon, that he's put a SRT engine and 3 speed auto in, I said to use SRT axles but he said they are different auto to manual, I thought they were the same?

The Auto long axle is splined for the speedo gear.The manual runs off the diff ring.Short axle is the same.

urban
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Then use a 88-up L-body long-side axle and a GPHK body short-side axle and you're golden.

Well...could I use 1st Gen Neon auto long-side on my Omni??? if tranny was 88 and up

BadAssPerformance
03-14-2010, 07:59 PM

In turbo-mopars / neons? Link?