PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Where can i buy good quality Cast Pistons?

1BADVAN
01-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Just that i am looking for a source of good quality cast pistons for my 2.5. Most likely .20 oversized thanks!

tryingbe
01-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Mahle pistons

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2010, 03:05 AM
I have access to a few sets of oversize Mahles but it takes a few months, :(

Seriously though, if your planning on turning up the boost or racing it, just save up and get forged, you won't regret it.

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 09:00 AM
My hypereutectics held up well at 14-15 psi. IMO they are as good or better than cast, my machine shop is of the same opinion. Mine are Sealed Power brand.

ShelGame
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Hmm, I spit out 2 sets of Sealed Power hypers at 16psi. I did have a fuel system problem that caused me to go lean occasionally. I know some people have had luck with the hypers, you just have to realize they have zero tolerance for pain, lol. The first hint of detonation and they're toast.

1BADVAN
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I have access to a few sets of oversize Mahles but it takes a few months, :(

Seriously though, if your planning on turning up the boost or racing it, just save up and get forged, you won't regret it.

Thats what i was thinking. i just can't see anyone who stocks good cast pistons so I would see if anyone knew who did and for how much. I def have the money for forged but i was just weighing my options :D

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
My hypereutectics held up well at 14-15 psi. IMO they are as good or better than cast, my machine shop is of the same opinion. Mine are Sealed Power brand.

Hypers are not recommended for any forced induction engine or for :nx:, ;)

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Hypers are not recommended for any forced induction engine or for :nx:, ;)

So I hear, but I had no issues w/ mine on a S70 turbo at 15 psi, FM cam, exhaust, 52 TB, a MP Stage II GLHS chip and a stock I/C at first, then a SRT intercooler. And I didn't drive it easy either. I put 25k on it in 2 years of DD'ing it, including a trip to the Tail of the Dragon and back. I ran it hot several times also before I got a good large rad and the SRT cooler installed.

So I think they are tougher than most give them credit for. Their one downfall it seems (besides not being forged lol) is that, as Rob said, they are not very tolerant of detonation. So you have to be very careful when monkeying w/ the timing of your tune. I ran my initial timing at 12* , just as recommended by Mopar for the Stage II GLHS tune, and it never gave me a problem.

Directconnection
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
#1) Hypers suck. Mahle is WAY better.

#2) 15 psi is nothing

#3) ShelbyMopar on here ran 23 psi for what.... one summer? Broke one (near my house) and it was on a rich tune on a *2.2* with proper ring gaps.

#4) Hypers have more silicon content, right? That mean less actual aluminum in the castings.

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2010, 08:25 PM
So I hear, but I had no issues w/ mine on a S70 turbo at 15 psi, FM cam, exhaust, 52 TB, a MP Stage II GLHS chip and a stock I/C at first, then a SRT intercooler. .

15psi is child's play, turn it up, watch the crowns peal off, :D

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Maybe :) However, the op never stated a boost goal, and since he says he has the money for forged but is considering cast, I assume it is for a low boost application, otherwise why bother? And if it is for low boost, I think the hyper's will work fine on a good tune.

#3) ShelbyMopar on here ran 23 psi for what.... one summer? Broke one (near my house) and it was on a rich tune on a *2.2* with proper ring gaps.

You can be pig rich and still detonate ;)

1BADVAN
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
im looking at running 18-22 psi so hyper is out of the question but still no one has said where i can buy mahles without waiting forever

Directconnection
01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
im looking at running 18-22 psi so hyper is out of the question but still no one has said where i can buy mahles without waiting forever

I believe FWD and/or Turbos Unleashed sell them.

Also, are you even sure you need new pistons? Maybe just a quick hone and re-ringing will be sufficient?

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Maybe you should reread my first post, ;)

DodgeZ
01-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Just that i am looking for a source of good quality cast pistons for my 2.5. Most likely .20 oversized thanks!

You can have one or the other but not both.

Cast pistons crack pretty easy if your tune isn't right. Same as the hypers... If your tune is right you are going to break the pistons. If you go forged and your tune is wrong your rods and rod bearings will take the beating, your head gasket will pop also. The point I am making is that you need to get your tune right and for the most part it doesn't matter what pistons you run. We aren't cracking pistons due to shear power, it is a bad tune that cracks the pistons.

DodgeZ
01-15-2010, 11:54 PM
#1) Hypers suck. Mahle is WAY better.

hmmmm, damn good info right there. So many facts to back it up my head is spinning.

#2) 15 psi is nothing

hmmmmm

So he cracked pistons on a bad tune? shocking I know....

#4) Hypers have more silicon content, right? That mean less actual aluminum in the castings.

eutectic are the stock pistons in SRT4. they are good for 106mph in the 1/8 :D

1BADVAN
01-16-2010, 01:41 PM
the engine in my van has run about 5 years. & 24k miles. Not much but 3 plus years pushing 24psi & 2 years bracket racing a van in the 13.5 sec range. (this was Dempsey Bowlings van)
This is why i am considering cast again cause for me it held up to a good beating :)

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!

DodgeZ
01-16-2010, 03:04 PM
the engine in my van has run about 5 years. & 24k miles. Not much but 3 plus years pushing 24psi & 2 years bracket racing a van in the 13.5 sec range. (this was Dempsey Bowlings van)
This is why i am considering cast again cause for me it held up to a good beating :)

can't beat a good tune :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Not the same as hypers, ;)

http://www.phoenixengine.com/FAQ.html#hypereutectic

Directconnection
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
hmmmm, damn good info right there. So many facts to back it up my head is spinning.

hmmmmm

So he cracked pistons on a bad tune? shocking I know....

Wise---- huh?

I have assembled and worked with Mahles and Hypers and forged more than anyone else on this board combined. There's your fact. :thumb:

DodgeZ
01-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Wise---- huh?

I have assembled and worked with Mahles and Hypers and forged more than anyone else on this board combined. There's your fact. :thumb:

sorry dude. you are the best. great info :thumb:

Directconnection
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanx!

badandy
01-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Wise---- huh?

WOW! Can I have your autograph Mr. piston expert?

cordes
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks; I laughed aloud.

DodgeZ
01-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Directconnection knows how anal I am about needing facts to back up statements. LOL

Force Fed Mopar
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Directconnection knows how anal I am about needing facts to back up statements. LOL

I think it's starting to rub off on me lol :p

I guess me and you need to work on a tune for my Shelby Z so I can run 20psi on my hypers ;)

Directconnection
01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
WOW! Can I have your autograph Mr. piston expert?

Sure!

But seriously guys.... all fawking around aside.... it is what *I* do for a living.

We have 4 dedicated engine builders at work: 2 soley for v-8 performance, one for mild v-8 performance, and the other does everything in between from a 2 cylinder to a packard to an 855 cummins to Riley, Duetz, Cat 3408, you name it (really odd shat!)

All 4 guys have all their rod, pistons and crank work go through me as I do all of the balancing, clearancing, honing, etc... which means I handle many different rotating assemblies a day. That's a lot of fawking engines I do a year.... so my experiences do have merit. Hypers are inferior, and there's no arguement there. Look at a Mahle cast piston next to a Sealed Power or FM and the choice is obvious.

Our shop is the sole supplier to the PASS and ACT sealed crate engine program. We take the stock Chevy ZZ4 350 and change the oiling system, rocker studs, water pump and timing set along with rockers as well. We have reportedly about 200 of these suckers out their in rotation (a team will own more than just one) for Lee Speedway along with privateers. These guys will run the series of races all season long (and HARD!) and go 2 seasons between "freshen ups" (bearing and rings and dyno tune/verification) with nothing done to them. After the initial 2 seasons, they get their rings/bearings and go for another 1-2 seasons, come back in again for a 3rd refresh before we need to hone to +.020 pistons. They accel and decel on these things and get them so hot and run sometimes real lean. True test of a good piston. What does GM use (and we use for +.020s) Mahle CAST pistons.

We use Hypers on mild street performance engines only.

As for the SRT-4 running hypers: I am sure Chrysler's OEM specs are much more stringent than the aftermarket's hyper piston selection, as anything OEM is almost always 100 times better than parts store crap... which is what hypers are in my book. Sheesh... ever really look at one? Tons of casting flash, yet tey are supposed to be a better casted piston.

That's my opinion.... but then again, everyone is entitled to my opinion :D

DodgeZ
01-22-2010, 02:54 AM
That's my opinion.... but then again, everyone is entitled to my opinion :D

:lol::lol::lol: I maybe have to sig that one.

Bear
01-23-2010, 03:05 AM
My local machinist was just able to locate me a set of Sealed Power Cast piston .020 over for a 2.2. Somewhere in the midwest had them in stock. The last set lasted over 40k miles and many a nitrous passes and high boost runs. It took a lean condition and alittle to much timing to finally kill 1 ring land in the set. They are out there somewhere.

turbovanmanČ
01-23-2010, 03:11 AM
My local machinist was just able to locate me a set of Sealed Power Cast piston .020 over for a 2.2. Somewhere in the midwest had them in stock. The last set lasted over 40k miles and many a nitrous passes and high boost runs. It took a lean condition and alittle to much timing to finally kill 1 ring land in the set. They are out there somewhere.

I have some .030 Mahles for sale, brand new, :thumb: