PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen voyager 2.4L turbo conversion

DBB mini
01-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I decided to abort mission on my hybrid minivan project and go with a 3rd gen 2.4L minivan and convert to turbo.

On Dec 29, 2009 I found a 2.4L 99 plymouth voyager on craigslist for $900.00. I drove the 100 miles away, offered $850.00 and bought it. It had some good drunk bumps in the driver door and fender, and a cracked windshield.. It was missing the 2nd row seat, but overall in decent shape. It's the short wheel base, man windows, passenger sliding door only baseline model, perfect for a lightweight van to drag race. ~50 miles deep into the drive back home it overheated....:banghead: I noticed the radiator was practically empty so I added some antifreeze and made it the rest of the way home. Upon further inspection I found the radiator to be cracked..:confused2: so I got on ebay and ordered a new radiator for $70.00 shipped..;) the heater didn't work on the way home and after installing the radiator it still didn't work. The water pump impeller had spun on the shaft, so it didn't have a water pump either. I pulled the timing belt cover to get to the water pump and noticed the cam gears a mile off orientation from each other..:banghead::banghead: Intake was one tooth retarded, exhaust was 3 teeth retarded..:confused: So I installed a new belt and got the timing on the nuts..:thumb: I made a trip to LKQ salvage on half price day and got a door, fender, 2 captains chairs, 2nd row seat, 3rd row seat (all matching), new brake pads, stock stereo (didn't have one in it), speedo with a tachometer, new sunvisors, overhead console, working ratcheting cupholder, and a new heater control, all for $120.00...:eyebrows: I found this model to have the 5x100mm bolt pattern so I used the new rotors off my 89 caravan, and the new hd rear shocks too. I bought a set of 17" srt-4 wheels from Clayton and I'm saving for some tires now (215 55 17??) So far it runs and drives great..:nod:

My plans include using the new header I just made, gt2871r turbo, external wastegate, 85pph injectors(low), custom fuel rail/regulator/255pump(convert to return style)/3-8ths fuel line, big FMIC, wiseco pistons, eagle rods, piston squirters mild ported head, BC titanium retainers-springs, a high to low impedance injector driver (if needed) and tune it with the AEM FIC & AEM wideband. I already have everything except the pistons & rods, injector driver, FIC, BC retainers & springs. Of course a complete rebuild of a salvage 2.4L while I drive this one.

I can't find anyone that has done this conversion but any information is welcome and appreciated. Feel free to chime in and let me know what you think and your ideas. Thanks for looking....

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010816.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010817.jpg
I don't have the new speedo installed yet, cracked windshield will get replaced.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010818.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010819.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010820.jpg

Austrian Dodge
01-15-2010, 06:42 AM
can't see a reason why it souldn't work except for the available space between the back of the engine and firewall.
all in all it's the same 2.4 engine as it was put in the stratus or neon (water pump is the only internal difference i know of)

good find and good luck on the build!! :thumb:

DBB mini
01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks. There's actually more room between the firewall and the header than my 89 van. It looks tight from the pic, but it angles back quite a bit, and has a big tunnel. I'll try to get some pics from under the van this weekend.

Here's a pic of the header. If it doesn't work, I'll have to fab something else up.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010767.jpg

1BADVAN
01-16-2010, 01:28 AM
looks cool i am interested in following this!

Dodge Aries K
01-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Sweet dude. Get those other panels painted red too... that van looks damn good in bright red like that.

turbokid
01-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Very cool! Why did you give up on the hybrid? Are you just going to slap a turbo on this motor or are you going to build it?
Q

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2010, 03:25 PM
As we've talked Coy, I love it, this was my plan if my van ever get's written off, can't wait to see how it turns out, :amen:

Very cool! Why did you give up on the hybrid? Are you just going to slap a turbo on this motor or are you going to build it?
Q

Engine needed a piston and I believe rust took over, :(

Sgt Craig
01-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Go onto Neons.org and contact Racersteve(Steve Lockett)I believe he did the exact same thing to his 3rd gen that he uses to haul his Neon race car with.

DBB mini
01-16-2010, 11:39 PM
turbokid I gave up on it because the van needed all the interior redone or replaced and some body work, more than I care to do, the tuning was difficult for me (SMEC), it wouldn't have a/c and the power steering needed a support bracket to hook it up, I detonated a piston, and if I did ever blow up the block or head I would have to do all the machine work to get it back to where it was, so I decided for me, the 3rd gen is the way to go. Engines are a dime a dozen around here, tons of cheap salvage parts in great condition (I got all the interior seats for $38.00) it will have a/c, the transmission is already a lockup (mpg), better aerodynamics, etc. I will be building a salvage 2.4L, I'll mock everything up first and hopefully be able to do the swap in a weekend or so. :thumb:

Sweet dude. Get those other panels painted red too... that van looks damn good in bright red like that.
Thanks, I plan on painting the black panels red to match. I can't wait to see what it looks like painted with the srt-4 wheels on it...:eyebrows:

Engine needed a piston and I believe rust took over
The 89 van is totally rust free.

As we've talked Coy, I love it, this was my plan if my van ever get's written off, can't wait to see how it turns out
Thanks Simon, I'm going a different route here guess we'll see what happens..I'm more concerned with appearance/condition/purpose of this project first, then it's time for the boosted powerplant. I'm hoping for a modest 350-400hp for the end result.

Go onto Neons.org and contact Racersteve(Steve Lockett)I believe he did the exact same thing to his 3rd gen that he uses to haul his Neon race car with.
Thanks sarge, I will check that out!!!!:hail:

DBB mini
01-16-2010, 11:55 PM

I tried to search for that username, couldn't find it...:(

DBB mini
01-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Is it Racerstev?

Sgt Craig
01-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Is it Racerstev?

Yeah.Forgot he didnt have a e at the end of it.Are you using a 3spd or 4spd auto?He knows both very well too.I think hes still trying out the 4spd auto in his Neon.

Vigo
01-17-2010, 12:31 AM
This looks like a really great project, i was excited when i saw the thread title!

I LOVE 3rd gen vans. Like crazy much. In fact, i had a nice 96 grand van i was planning to boost but i had to sell it in a hurry to get the money to buy my spirit off a friend (it was a deal too good or me to pass up). If not for that i would never have sold it. Mine was 3.0.670 and got 25mpg on the highway, and i had an m90 sitting around for it. Now that that van is gone, im doing the 3.0/543 m90 thing to my 90 van.

Here's the spirit: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43833&page=2

I'll be watching this one! :D

DBB mini
01-17-2010, 01:44 AM
This looks like a really great project, i was excited when i saw the thread title!

I LOVE 3rd gen vans. Like crazy much. In fact, i had a nice 96 grand van i was planning to boost but i had to sell it in a hurry to get the money to buy my spirit off a friend (it was a deal too good or me to pass up). If not for that i would never have sold it. Mine was 3.0.670 and got 25mpg on the highway, and i had an m90 sitting around for it. Now that that van is gone, im doing the 3.0/543 m90 thing to my 90 van.

Thanks Vigo:D

Yeah.Forgot he didnt have a e at the end of it.Are you using a 3spd or 4spd auto?He knows both very well too.I think hes still trying out the 4spd auto in his Neon.
I'll be running the 3 speed that came with the van. I'll build/mod it.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 03:26 AM

There are options to run a 4 speed now, we have access to a few aftermarket computers to run them or I think MS will. This is a good time to have a Mopar, :clap:

Sgt Craig
01-17-2010, 10:22 AM
There are options to run a 4 speed now, we have access to a few aftermarket computers to run them or I think MS will. This is a good time to have a Mopar, :clap:

Yeah I know thats why Steve is running one in his Neon.Its in the 10's.I would have loved to run a 4spd Auto in my old turbo Neon.

BadAssPerformance
01-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Here's a pic of the header. If it doesn't work, I'll have to fab something else up.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/DBBmini/P1010767.jpg

Cool project DBB! :thumb:

Did you make that header? nice fab work! :clap:

A.J.
01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the completion of this project. Like Simon, if anything happens to my van I'd like to upgrade to the newer ones especially if going turbo is relatively cheap and easy.

Your turbo header looks nice and you said there is clearance depth wise but if that header lifts the turbo higher than the valve cover you may be S.O.L.

What do you plan on using for fuel management? If you use and SRT-4 computer, I'm interested how and if it will communicate with the other modules.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah I know thats why Steve is running one in his Neon.Its in the 10's.I would have loved to run a 4spd Auto in my old turbo Neon.

Because of that R@D, I am looking for a 4speed case for my van, :nod:

Cool project DBB! :thumb:

Did you make that header? nice fab work! :clap:

He modified a 240SX header, :hail:

thedon809
01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Steve is saying the 4spd is physically a lot stronger than the 3spd

turbovanmanČ
01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Steve is saying the 4spd is physically a lot stronger than the 3spd

Yeah, no bands and a few other things, IIRC. The biggest issue is the factory shifting sucks azz, :(

turbokid
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
^most definitely!

DBB mini
01-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Your turbo header looks nice and you said there is clearance depth wise but if that header lifts the turbo higher than the valve cover you may be S.O.L.

What do you plan on using for fuel management? If you use and SRT-4 computer, I'm interested how and if it will communicate with the other modules.
Thanks A.J.
If it doesn't fit I'll have to fab something else up. I can lower the height, etc. I'll cross that bridge when I get there but rest assured there is plenty o clearance behind the head for a turbo. The pic I took is deceiving, the valve cover on the 2.4L minivans comes up above and over the valve cover by a margin. I will run the stock puter that came with the van, and a piggyback AEM fuel/ignition controller. I've never installed or run one, but I hear they're very user friendly and some of the CSRT-4 guys are running them with great success. I'll be able to datalog everything including the AEM wideband I already have. I will have some time and hairpulling in the wiring of the FIC but I'm ok with hunting wires and soldering. FJO racing makes a nice low impedance signal conversion injector driver so I can run the low impedance 85pph injectors I already have, as the 3rd gen run high impedance. ~150.00 for the FJO piece, beats the price of high flow high impedance injectors.

There are options to run a 4 speed now, we have access to a few aftermarket computers to run them or I think MS will. This is a good time to have a Mopar,
I'd like to run the OD trans, I just don't know much about them and I already have the modded A413 in the 89. I planned on pulling the guts out, use what I can, and go back with the A413 (with mods) that the 3rd gen came with. I may build a 4 speed later but for now, to simplify things I'll go with what I know.

Yeah, no bands and a few other things, IIRC. The biggest issue is the factory shifting sucks azz,
So the factory shifting on the 4 speed sucks?

Did you make that header? nice fab work!

He modified a 240SX header
Thanks guys. There are benefits to working in a machine shop. I didn't weld anything, I just pieced it all together, made the flanges and had it all welded by Greg at our shop. The 240sx headers are cheap on ebay and I couldn't buy the material for what the entire header cost me ($55 shipped). I bandsawed the flanges off and went from there. Hopefully it works but if not it'll be back to the drawing board. I may have to shorten it, or whatever but this was an experiment I decided to try and it gave me a cheap alternative for a header to fab to fit the 2.4L head.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to post progress and problems, seems like I wasn't the only one that had the idea. A bit of uncharted territory for this project, but I'm hoping in the end it will be a conversion worth doing.

roachjuice
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
bad ---. ill have to stop by and check it out

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 01:45 AM
I'd like to run the OD trans, I just don't know much about them and I already have the modded A413 in the 89. I planned on pulling the guts out, use what I can, and go back with the A413 (with mods) that the 3rd gen came with. I may build a 4 speed later but for now, to simplify things I'll go with what I know.

So the factory shifting on the 4 speed sucks?

Yeah, I have a thread started on them, they are better than the A413, gear ratio's are better and the highway rpm is nice and low.

The factory wanted it shift smoothly so they do the slide shift, this is what kills them, its awful. The aftermarket controllers do away with that, and they shift properly.

Thanks guys. There are benefits to working in a machine shop. I didn't weld anything, I just pieced it all together, made the flanges and had it all welded by Greg at our shop. The 240sx headers are cheap on ebay and I couldn't buy the material for what the entire header cost me ($55 shipped). I bandsawed the flanges off and went from there. Hopefully it works but if not it'll be back to the drawing board. I may have to shorten it, or whatever but this was an experiment I decided to try and it gave me a cheap alternative for a header to fab to fit the 2.4L head.

I didn't mean YOU welded it, should have clarified better, ;)

2.216VTurbo
01-18-2010, 01:58 AM
You know, every now and then I see a project I am in :love:with. Don't really know why I mean it's a Mini Van fer chissakes;) Very cool, 11's in a 3rd gen, you'd be the first right:eyebrows:

Aries_Turbo
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
PCS makes the one controller for the 41te that racerstev is using.

he and some other guys are back on the megashift project for the 41te so that could be an option soon.

you cant boost hardcore in overdrive without some custom made stronger parts though.

brian

ShelGame
01-18-2010, 02:30 PM
- subscribed for sure -

I like it, good project...

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 02:32 PM
PCS makes the one controller for the 41te that racerstev is using.

he and some other guys are back on the megashift project for the 41te so that could be an option soon.

you cant boost hardcore in overdrive without some custom made stronger parts though.

brian

Hopefully Rob can figure out how to reprogram the stocker, :nod:

Who would boost hard in overdrive anyhow?????? :p

Vigo
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Yeh, if you look at the 4th gear clutch pack it becomes obvious why thats not a good idea.. In fact, ive had GREAT success with all my stock 604/606s over the years, but the one that i did break was 4th gear in my 3.5 intrepid after riding 130mph in 4th for a few minutes. Just burned up the clutches for 4th. Trans had 120k at the time. That motor only had 230-240 lb ft at the crank, too.

Aries_Turbo
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Hopefully Rob can figure out how to reprogram the stocker, :nod:

Who would boost hard in overdrive anyhow?????? :p

yup, that would be sweet too. :)

crazy top speed crazies boost in OD. :)

Vigo
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
crazy top speed crazies boost in OD.

I was pretty pissed off about being stuck in 4th at 130.. 3rd gear would have gone to 136 in that car if i could stay in 3rd.. non autostick tcm forced shift to 4th at 4800.. in autostick it was 5500, redline (and power peak) was 6500. :(

Same thing in my dynasty.. leave it in D and it upshifts at 4800.. leave it in 3 and it will go to rev limiter (5500) which makes a MASSIVE difference in acceleration between 95 and 115. So unless that feature is defeated, T-Mers would probably ALL burn up 4th gear! :p

ShelGame
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
I just need to find an early TCM...

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 06:56 PM

I have one, its yours to do with what you want.

Vigo
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
i have an 89 3.0 tcm if Simon's doesnt work out. I hear its what you're looking for :)

Aries_Turbo
01-18-2010, 11:20 PM

i had one but i think it might have gone to the JY. i looked for it months ago to pull the rom and suck the data off but i cant find it anywhere. all i could find is a 1997 autostick tcm from an intrepid and even that im not sure i have anymore.

Brian

ShelGame
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Either one - I just need to try and bootstrap it and suck out the cal. Then see if it can be converted to flashable like the SMEC (probably more like the SBEC). Then, decode the software and see if we can modify it.

turbovanmanČ
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Either one - I just need to try and bootstrap it and suck out the cal. Then see if it can be converted to flashable like the SMEC (probably more like the SBEC). Then, decode the software and see if we can modify it.

What years are you looking for?

WickedShelby88
01-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah my 92 with the 3.3 will rev to the moon in 3.rd if you keep it in D. I just came across a 94 caravan sport wagon. Would that have the right year TCM?

DBB mini
01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm assuming TCM is transmission control module? Sorry still a newb on some of this stuff....:confused2:

ShelGame
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
What years are you looking for?

The earlier the better. So, '89? 90?

Dodge Aries K
01-19-2010, 03:08 PM
The early ones were the non-flashable ones and also had too slow of a processing unit. You want one with a heat sink on it (94+) so it's the flashable one that can be rewritten.

DBB mini
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, must be transmission control module. Since I'll be running the A413 that came stock with the van this seems to be useful information....:lol:

I had a bad heater core and brake booster/master cylinder. Picked up some good ones from the salvage and replaced them today. They were both a cakewalk to replace, did it today after work. Cost me $45.00 for all three parts. Next up is to shampoo/clean the carpet from the antifreeze pond.:mad:

turbovanmanČ
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Yeah, must be transmission control module. Since I'll be running the A413 that came stock with the van this seems to be useful information....:lol:

Don't you mean "USELESS info?????? :confused: :lol:

I had a bad heater core and brake booster/master cylinder. Picked up some good ones from the salvage and replaced them today. They were both a cakewalk to replace, did it today after work. Cost me $45.00 for all three parts. Next up is to shampoo/clean the carpet from the antifreeze pond.:mad:

Wow, score, :nod:

ShelGame
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
The early ones were the non-flashable ones and also had too slow of a processing unit. You want one with a heat sink on it (94+) so it's the flashable one that can be rewritten.

Eventually, but I want the early code to start with. It will be easier to decode because Chrysler included the (nearly) complete operating flowchart in their patents.

The later (flashable) computers likely use an 'evolved' codebase that might be more difficult to follow. Once I get the early code dis-assembled, then I'll move on to the later code.

DBB mini
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Bought a 10pc. suspension kit from ebay. Inner & outer tie rods, ball joints, front & rear sway bar links, $66.00 shipped. Gonna try to R&R them all this weekend.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130353000945&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Vigo
01-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Wow, smoking deal. Make sure you tighten the hell out of the front swaybar links and maybe put some loctite on em.. Ive had them come loose repeatedly on my old 96 which caused a clunk in the front.

DBB mini
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow, smoking deal. Make sure you tighten the hell out of the front swaybar links and maybe put some loctite on em.. Ive had them come loose repeatedly on my old 96 which caused a clunk in the front.

K, thanks. I'll probly put a jam nut on it, I there's enough of the stud there.

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Bought a 10pc. suspension kit from ebay. Inner & outer tie rods, ball joints, front & rear sway bar links, $66.00 shipped. Gonna try to R&R them all this weekend.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130353000945&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I was looking for items for my G van but when I asked about how they back up their warranty, they dodged me like the plague, :(

DBB mini
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I was looking for items for my G van but when I asked about how they back up their warranty, they dodged me like the plague, :(

Yeah I didn't ask about how they backed up their warranty, just jumped at the price. They shipped me some moog ball joints instead of the oem brand. I think they must have known how hard you are on parts, hence the plague treatment.:lol:

turbovanmanČ
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah I didn't ask about how they backed up their warranty, just jumped at the price. They shipped me some moog ball joints instead of the oem brand. I think they must have known how hard you are on parts, hence the plague treatment.:lol:

Moog eh, you got a screaming deal, :nod:

Yeah, I must be getting known everywhere, :(