PDA

View Full Version : meth and N2o

David Bohrer
05-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I have some general questions for anyone spraying meth as a fuel on a n2o setup. Anyone on here ever play with a setup like that? The last two I saw were a few years ago and I neglected to ask for specfics when I had the chance...

BadAssPerformance
05-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I have not run that stuff but have heard that the alky is just used in place of gas on the fuel side. I think the 'rent a neon and go mustang bashing' article used ethanol? The fuel jet size will have to be tuned a little compared to the recommended gasoline size.

If you use Meth you might want to talk to NOS (or whatever brand of system you got) to make sure the components are ok with the corrosion. If you run Eth you should be ok...

zin
06-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Maybe a little late for advice, but here's what I can tell you.

If you use alky, you'll need to double the volume compared to gasoline (actually a lil bit more than double), that's due to the BTU content of the two fuels (Alky has about 1/2 that of gasoline), other than that, you'll need to be sure all the stuff that gets touched by the Alky is compatable (read stainless, teflon, plastic, etc.). Of note is the seal material of most of the fuel solenoids used in nitrous kits are NOT compatable with Alky and, while they will work for a time, will disintergrate pretty quickly and run the risk of clogging your fuel jet (very bad news), so just be careful. An easy way to double the flow when going with Alky, is to just raise the fuel pressure about 2.5 times what would normally be run. So if you tune-up is 6PSI fuel pressure, taking it to about 15 would do the trick without changeing the jet sizes. That can be handy, becuase it's not uncommon to need a jet bigger than the nozzle can flow if you stick with a lower pressure and try to compensate with jet size. All that being said, given Alky's resistance to detonation and the cooling effect, it seems like it should work very well.

Mike

David Bohrer
06-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Thank for the input Zin!

I have bumped around and found that I need to inject 2.3 times the amount of methanol as compared to gasoline. As for the components I am upgrading the solenoid to the NOS alky version pn 16060nos and checking compatability of the rest.

BTW for FYI on mixtures of methanol over 50% you can run up to 2% nitromethane by volume for a little added kick!:bump2:

zin
06-07-2006, 01:32 AM
That solenoid will be fine, the tough part always seems to be finding a fuel pump that will deal with Alky and not have to be pickeled (flushed with gas). If the parts are stainless, teflon, plastic (most plastics anyway), or hard anodized AL, they'll be ok. If the volume doesn't have to be real high, we used to use VW washer pumps, they would go to 85PSI and wer ok with Alky, but they didn't have tremendous volume and we only used them for short burst. As far as adding the nitro, I'd be careful starting to sound like a chemistry experiment!:D

Mike