PDA

View Full Version : Anti Lag

Dan15
01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Has anyone had success with anti-lag on a Turbonator SMEC cal?? If so how?

ShelGame
01-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Are you not having success? What are you expecting it to do?

The anti-lag in T-SMEC simply pulls timing in relation to the delta to boost goal. And, it only works at WOT.

It's not a 'bang-bang' type of anti-lag. Though, it could be. I need to get the spark-cut rev limiter modification to work. In that case, you would have retarded timing and raw fuel in the exhaust. Stock, our rev limiters are fuel-cut (all of them, even OB and the speed limiter). So, you won't get the big bang type of anti-lag while reving in neutral or anything...

Dan15
01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Are you not having success? What are you expecting it to do?

The anti-lag in T-SMEC simply pulls timing in relation to the delta to boost goal. And, it only works at WOT.

It's not a 'bang-bang' type of anti-lag. Though, it could be. I need to get the spark-cut rev limiter modification to work. In that case, you would have retarded timing and raw fuel in the exhaust. Stock, our rev limiters are fuel-cut (all of them, even OB and the speed limiter). So, you won't get the big bang type of anti-lag while reving in neutral or anything...

Oh ok that makes sense why it's not working. Ya i was wondering about the Bang Bang type :D
So its in the works?
With the current one you can't build any boost in neutral? What's it supposed to improve then?

ShelGame
01-14-2010, 07:42 PM
No, it won't build boost in neutral. It might do that, if/when I get the spark cut rev limiter to work. Then, you'd be dumping raw fuel into the exaust and igniting it. I think that's roughly how the bang-bang type works.

The T-SMEC anti-lag works now only in transitions. So, say you're cruising down the freeway (manifold is in vacuum), and you nail it. Without anti-lag, your turbo will take X time to spool. Anti-lag should improve that. It will also help when launching as it will help spool the turbo right off the line (just not in neutral).

Dan15
01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
No, it won't build boost in neutral. It might do that, if/when I get the spark cut rev limiter to work. Then, you'd be dumping raw fuel into the exaust and igniting it. I think that's roughly how the bang-bang type works.

The T-SMEC anti-lag works now only in transitions. So, say you're cruising down the freeway (manifold is in vacuum), and you nail it. Without anti-lag, your turbo will take X time to spool. Anti-lag should improve that. It will also help when launching as it will help spool the turbo right off the line (just not in neutral).

Ya thats also how I understood the bang bang type to work.

Oh ok the anti lag in my cal definitely works because it starts to spool as soon as I punch it, and it used to take longer so its a nice addition.
I just didn't realize the anti lag was causing it!

ShelGame
01-14-2010, 09:19 PM
As soon as I get my van back on the road, I can do some serious testing with T-SMEC. Up 'til now, I've done all my testing with my Daytona race car. And, I haven't had that on the track in a year. Now, I can do testing on the way to work everyday. Hopefully, spark-based rev limiter won't be to hard to crack and we'll have both types of anti-lag...

turbovanmanČ
01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I have issues spooling my GT35R with the tighter than stock converter, I thought the anti-lag wasn't working, turned it off, BIG MISTAKE, :(

shelbymonster
01-14-2010, 10:01 PM
i saw a difference with the cal shelgame made for me and the turbo kick hard and now slipping clutch problem !!!

Dan15
01-14-2010, 11:41 PM
As soon as I get my van back on the road, I can do some serious testing with T-SMEC. Up 'til now, I've done all my testing with my Daytona race car. And, I haven't had that on the track in a year. Now, I can do testing on the way to work everyday. Hopefully, spark-based rev limiter won't be to hard to crack and we'll have both types of anti-lag...

I'll look forward to the day it's done! :thumb:

Thank for all the work you put into these cals!! :hail:

bakes
01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
A you anti lag with fuel limter on in neutral builds boost i was getting up to 10psi boost vers 0 with it turned off

Dan15
01-15-2010, 02:55 AM
A you anti lag with fuel limter on in neutral builds boost i was getting up to 10psi boost vers 0 with it turned off

How do you set that up?? :eyebrows:

turboaddict
01-15-2010, 03:16 AM

the anti lag that rob has fabbed up currently in my cal will build 4psi on my 50 trim with .63 stage 2 housing. this is also in conjuction with a 3800 rpm launch control.
with a mopar performance in there it would not build even that much at the rev limiter.

Dan15
01-15-2010, 03:24 AM
the anti lag that rob has fabbed up currently in my cal will build 4psi on my 50 trim with .63 stage 2 housing. this is also in conjuction with a 3800 rpm launch control.
with a mopar performance in there it would not build even that much at the rev limiter.

Thats awesome!! I'll definitely need that with my soon to be Holset 8v.
Now i need to know how to do it for myself!!?? :nod:

Austrian Dodge
01-15-2010, 06:34 AM
you don't want to run Anti Lag on your stock turbine shaft (at least the anti lag system i'm talking about -> wrc type)

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3vJi2X_glM

you lift throttle in front of a corner, anti lag system keeps your turbo in boost in that time, so when you accelerate out of the corner the turbo doesn't have to build boost but it's already in boost.

you want to run a Maram 247 turbine shaft and wheel that withstands those high exhaust gas temperatures!
the shaft alone is more than a couple hundret euros (i've seen go new ones for over 1000€)

ShelGame
01-15-2010, 09:29 AM

I suppose if you actually go WOT and keep the engine on the 2-step it might. But, it should work better with the spark cut. Of course, it will be much harder on the turbine...

1966 dart wagon
01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
i use it, its badass, i dont really need it but 8-10psi at launch really lights the tires up in 2nd :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I suppose if you actually go WOT and keep the engine on the 2-step it might. But, it should work better with the spark cut. Of course, it will be much harder on the turbine...

And the rod bearings, :(

Vigo
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeh, i wouldnt want to ride the rev-limiter with no load on the motor very often, thats harder on them than putting 300 hp through them. Remember that the power load on the piston offsets the tensile load on the rod, and most rod failures that arents caused by power or oiling are metal fatigue which is caused by that tensile load. With a 2 step set below 4000 rpm i wouldnt worry about riding it, though.

I cant wait to give this a shot! still planning on buying a chip burner... :)

bakes
01-15-2010, 11:28 PM

must have launch control on set to 3-4000rpm

wot and you need to set your wheel speed limit 10-20mph

just ride the clutch out of the hole and hold on

it will hold the power down while your getting traction

you will have to play with the setting that are right for you car!!!!

Ondonti
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeh, i wouldnt want to ride the rev-limiter with no load on the motor very often, thats harder on them than putting 300 hp through them. Remember that the power load on the piston offsets the tensile load on the rod, and most rod failures that arents caused by power or oiling are metal fatigue which is caused by that tensile load. With a 2 step set below 4000 rpm i wouldnt worry about riding it, though.

I dont really agree. the rods see full tensile load every other rotation. All neutral means is you double the cycles of the full tensile load.
so if an engine will survive 10 hours at 6000 rpms, it will now die in 5 hours of neutral reving.

Unlikely that the 2 step will be set crazy high except for a few of us out here.
Me, I am excited to bounce off a spark cut limiter of 7000+ and let things rip. I want to see how much boost can be built off the line Rob style in gear antilag plus an aggressive antilag launch would make something like 2nd gear launches a technique we might be able to use.

I think if you Save Robs current antilag and combine it with neutral antilag, it would be a pretty killer combination.
Also Rob, if you figure out spark cut code, you could maybe find a way to Cut timing at certain MPH @ WOT. Traction Control. Reprogrammed but better then nothing. With a flashable setup it would be fun to play with in the pits.

p.s. Rod tensile forces are exponential so if you have t2 rods that can handle around 7300-7500 rpms fairly reliably, I would nave absolutely zero qualms about Bouncing off a 6000 ish rpm rev limiter.

turbovanmanČ
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Most rod failures are caused on the exhaust stroke, as the rod floats in that cycle where as all the other modes, its loaded, except boosted applications, ;)