PDA

View Full Version : iphone food for thought! attn: shelgame?

cs daytona
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
iemulator touch http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/03/prweb752204.htm : windows emulator for iphone and ipod touch. maybe handheld logworks? :nod: its a little old but im thinking its still available.

styletap http://www.tuaw.com/tag/StyleTap/ : palm os emulator for iphone, maybe minidash/miniscan? ive read elsewhere that styletap runs 249% faster on the iphone than on the original palm, maybe high speed datalogging?

the appstore has wind os for iphone http://www.iphoneappreview.com/bamboo-group-releases-wind-os-1-0-%E2%80%93-exciting-windows-emulator-for-iphone.html : not sure if this is a real windows emulator or a lookalike but could it download programs? again maybe logworks?

connector pinout http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml : maybe custom cable? i know theres an iphone-to-rs232 cable available when i googled for it.

just some food for thought. its probably alot harder than im thinking but you never know.

travis

risen
01-12-2010, 10:20 AM
iemulator touch http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/03/prweb752204.htm : windows emulator for iphone and ipod touch. maybe handheld logworks? :nod: its a little old but im thinking its still available.

styletap http://www.tuaw.com/tag/StyleTap/ : palm os emulator for iphone, maybe minidash/miniscan? ive read elsewhere that styletap runs 249% faster on the iphone than on the original palm, maybe high speed datalogging?

the appstore has wind os for iphone http://www.iphoneappreview.com/bamboo-group-releases-wind-os-1-0-%E2%80%93-exciting-windows-emulator-for-iphone.html : not sure if this is a real windows emulator or a lookalike but could it download programs? again maybe logworks?

connector pinout http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml : maybe custom cable? i know theres an iphone-to-rs232 cable available when i googled for it.

just some food for thought. its probably alot harder than im thinking but you never know.

travis

The problem with a wired connection between the iphone and a ecu is the following: the iphone is not a USB host, it's a client. The usb protocol has a distinct definition of each and I haven't seen any evidence showing that the iphone has got the chipset required to be a host. So serial->usb converters are out.

There may be a chance of using a serial->bluetooth connector on the ECU side and having the phone use that to read from the ECU (which Rob had previously mentioned). But there are some things that Apple has been reluctant to support (keyboards were one of them). We'd need to do some research to make sure that bt-serial adapters are supported and accessible as a regular serial port from the iphone. There's EMI noise, maximum distance issues, and supported speeds of the adapters to think about on the physical side of the connection. We could try and roll our own hardware if we can't find some off the shelf stuff to use but RF engineering is *way* beyond my skill set.

Innovate does have a connector for OBD-II ecus to put the data on a iphone, but from what I see it broadcasts the data out to the phone via wifi. And designing something like that is likely an order of magnitude harder than using a bluetooth adapter on the ecu side. We could look at putting the data from our ecus into the MTS protocol (which is what innovate uses internally) and we could try and piggyback on their hardware.

It's quite a project, to say the least. I'm down for helping out and writing some code, but I think there's still quite a bit of research to be done before we even know which direction to proceed in.

So, how many others have an iphone or ipod touch and want to see this sort of a thing become available?

cs daytona
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Im sure this is probably a real dumb question but is there any way to convert obd1 info to be read by an obd2 scanner or etc?

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I want my iPhone to talk to my Ostrich, :D

risen
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Im sure this is probably a real dumb question but is there any way to convert obd1 info to be read by an obd2 scanner or etc?

It may not matter for the innovate hardware. If we can send the data from our ecu in the MTS format it may be good enough for that device to publish it to the phone.

To actually answer your question, you would have to have something that specifically understands OBD-II commands, knows how to get the needed data from the older ecu, and knows how to respond to the requests appropriately. It would take a fair amount of programming and some external hardware to make our ecus 'respond' to OBD-II requests. You'd have to have something that takes the request, and interprets it (if possible) to get the correct data from our ecu or the OBD-I ecu. Then the response would have to be converted back into the OBD-II reply.

bakes
01-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I want my iPhone to talk to my Ostrich, :D

I want to try my USB blue tooth adapter on my ostrich when i get the LS running again i just dont know if it will work i wish the ostrich still came with bluetooth.

DodgeZ
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I am getting rid of my iphone this summer when the contract is up. Google phone for the win!

cs daytona
01-13-2010, 12:42 AM
So is there any hope for other phones to communicate? Android, windows mobile, palm? Or am i just asking too much?

Travis

risen
01-13-2010, 09:40 AM
So is there any hope for other phones to communicate? Android, windows mobile, palm? Or am i just asking too much?

Travis

I'm sure we could find a way to get an iphone to work, but Android would likely be the easiest since it's Linux under the hood. It all depends on how much time someone wants to put into it. I'm willing to help out, but I don't have the time to make this my primary project with all the other stuff I have going on right now.

ShelGame
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I think it's just too hard (and I'm too slow). Phones only last in the market like 2 years. By the time I got a program done, the phone would be obsolete.

DodgeZ
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I think it's just too hard (and I'm too slow). Phones only last in the market like 2 years. By the time I got a program done, the phone would be obsolete.

True story

cs daytona
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
True story

well i bought my 2g iphone when they 1st came out (cant remember when that was) and i still have it. i use it everyday at the shop, with a super thick rubber case cus i do drop it occasionally. sure i could get a 3g or 3gs but since i unlocked/jailbroke mine to work with t-mobile the 3g wont work, so why change?

ok, on the other hand, the Innovate OT-2 ($179) is about to launch any day now. the app store 'logworks' app will be FREE! too. the module with the OT-2 is wifi and has a serial in/out to daisy-chain with an LC-1, etc. that probably about the closest we can get to have it work for us, as a universal application.

travis

risen
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
well i bought my 2g iphone when they 1st came out (cant remember when that was) and i still have it. i use it everyday at the shop, with a super thick rubber case cus i do drop it occasionally. sure i could get a 3g or 3gs but since i unlocked/jailbroke mine to work with t-mobile the 3g wont work, so why change?

ok, on the other hand, the Innovate OT-2 ($179) is about to launch any day now. the app store 'logworks' app will be FREE! too. the module with the OT-2 is wifi and has a serial in/out to daisy-chain with an LC-1, etc. that probably about the closest we can get to have it work for us, as a universal application.

travis

That innovate box is what I was previously refering to (same concept as the AEM one). I think the easiest way of getting data on a phone would be to get our ecu data into the mts format and push it into that box. It will still take intermediate hardware to do, though. I just upgraded to a 3gs last summer, so I have hardware to work with, but I'm not sure that I can devote the proper amount of time. Maybe if more people show interest or if I have time this summer I'll take a crack at it.

cs daytona
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
That would be sweet. Either way, im interested in that OT-2 when it comes out :)

travis