PDA

View Full Version : Would you auto-x at an SDAC event?

sy2206
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post up your opinions, good or bad, lets hear it!

It's been a few years since we've had an auto-x at an SDAC event, and I'd like to get it back in the works. Afterall, our cars are geared more towards auto-xing then drag racing anyway. ;) For you guys who haven't tried it, you need to!!! If you think drag racing is fun, I'll give you a ride in my Dads GLHT and I think you'll reconsider. Not to mention, this is fairly easy on the car. It's pretty tough to break parts auto-xing, you'll just put a little wear on the tires and brake pads. Anyway, we know there are multiple hurdles in getting this setup, but I've got some help from some people involved in the SCCA and I think we could make this happen.

Venue is one issue. Finding a place thats suitable to hold this type of event, and convincing them to let us use it. I know multiple drag strips that have used their parking lot or staging area for auto-x in the past. I know this won't work at all the tracks we've been at, but it's an option. Or I can contact some of the local clubs and try and get us into one of their usual venues.

Insurance is another issue. I'm working on this. It's not as big of an issue as some may think, but let me see what I can come up with.

Equipment. Timing equipment is fairly expensive, but I've got a couple things going here. I've been talking to a few people about getting some PC based software that could be used. Just have to buy some sensors and probably a PLC to control it all. If I can put togather a good reliable home-built system for a couple hundred bucks, I'll DONATE it to the National SDAC. Otherwise, if you guys are interested, I know a club thats looking to sell their entire setup. This is everything, timing equipment, cones, flags, the whole works. It's about $4k worth of stuff, but the guy who owns it wants it gone like yesterday. He said $900 takes it. I've seen the equipment, it's very very nice. If we can get some people to all chip in, we can pool our money and buy it as a club and it will be property of the National SDAC. If you guys are interested, LET ME KNOW!! I'll throw in the first $100 myself, and I'll donate my time/gas to go pick everything up. This would be sweet, because it would be owned by SDAC, and could be used every year.

Cost. Participant cost should be able to be kept fairly low. I would think we could do it for somewhere in the $30-$40 range per car.

Sponsorship. Maybe we could see if we can get a Shelby/Dodge vendor involed. I know certain venders have sponsored certain parts of SDAC in the past, maybe we can get someone to help out here? Or help with some equipment costs or venue/insurance costs? Venders, if you're interested, speak up...

So... What do you guys/gals think? Are you interested? Is this a waste of my time, trying to get this all going? I'm really looking for some feedback here. Thoughts? Questions? Ideas? Things I missed? Proposals? Donations? Comments? Concerns?

LETS HEAR IT!!!! :)

Captain Chaos
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree that auto-x is an awesome experience. While I've only done it once I'd definately do it more. Wish I had done it before I sold my ACR SRT-4.

amoparacer
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I also wish I had not sold my ACR srt4 but my wife didnt like it.That said I also sold my SRT/10 Viper truck for the same reason. Wow I just figuered out she hates cars. I have never auto crossed but my problem would be I live in california and every event SDAC holds is in the east coast. I think it would be good for the club to own the equipment though. How about those who pitch in get free life time event entry. Say 100 dollar equipment buy in. plus if you hold it in a drag strip parking lot open the strip up to like the shelby birthday the first year. If you will do that I will put in 100 for the equipment and even show up where ever it is held this year. I love to drag racing auto cross could be fun but doing both woud make it worth the towing and exspence. I would also suggest holding the Event in Las Vegas some time nice facility.:eyebrows::eyebrows::D:nod:

Captain Chaos
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I also wish I had not sold my ACR srt4 but my wife didnt like it.That said I also sold my SRT/10 Viper truck for the same reason. Wow I just figuered out she hates cars. I have never auto crossed but my problem would be I live in california and every event SDAC holds is in the east coast. I think it would be good for the club to own the equipment though. How about those who pitch in get free life time event entry. Say 100 dollar equipment buy in. plus if you hold it in a drag strip parking lot open the strip up to like the shelby birthday the first year. If you will do that I will put in 100 for the equipment and even show up where ever it is held this year. I love to drag racing auto cross could be fun but doing both woud make it worth the towing and exspence. I would also suggest holding the Event in Las Vegas some time nice facility.:eyebrows::eyebrows::D:nod:

When I met my wife she had two girls and I have my two so we needed a better family car than the SRT-4.:o

T-Bohn
01-11-2010, 12:27 PM
who wouldn't want the chance to race their car?? I wasn't able to run mine last year as it was just not ready yet....but I would really like to.

I am not working ( since may) but would donate to the cause to raise the needed funds!

count me in!

contraption22
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I would, depending on which car I brought to SDAC. Oddly enough, I would be more prone to do it the farther it was from home. If SDAC is a longer distance from home, I'd likely bring the SRT-4 and would enjoy autocrossing it. If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all.

Pat
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I would, depending on which car I brought to SDAC. Oddly enough, I would be more prone to do it the farther it was from home. If SDAC is a longer distance from home, I'd likely bring the SRT-4 and would enjoy autocrossing it. If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all.

You should run whatever you bring. Years back, I autocrossed a worn out suspensioned Spirit R/T on cheapo all seasons. Leaning all over the place, it was still fun.

I know that there are hurdles to make it happen, but I really believe that SDAC conventions need to get back to having two driving events. The fun in these cars is driving them to thier limit. SDAC should be the event to do it, both in a straight line and while turning.

That being said, I will definitely autocross if there is one. No question.

contraption22
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
You should run whatever you bring. Years back, I autocrossed a work out suspensioned Spirit R/T on cheapo all seasons. Leaning all over the palce, it was still fun.

That being said, I will definitely autocross if there is one. No question.

I suppose it could be fun either way... as long as there is PLENTY of run off area.

Johnny
01-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Mark,

Autocrossing is so much fun! I am all for one at a national SDAC event. There is issues with it working out at these events I am told. The last one (years ago) loosing a lot of money for one? I would think the most economical way to do it is contacting the local SCCA club where ever SDAC is going to be held and work with them on an autocross. Either we join them in an event they are having or they put on an event for us using their equipment, a couple of their guys to run the show and our labor to help.
I emailed last year to find out about autocrosses near the SDAC and found one was going on at the same time. I let every one know about it and only one or two others showed up. This might be a good thing, as it was not a SCCA event and not very safe.
Mark, you want to talk to Barry? You want to see if you can talk to the SCCA club? You want to be the organizer of the event for SDAC? Because I think Barry is not interested in making it happen. If you took control and worked with him, I am sure he would work with you.

"IF" it worked out that buying our own equipment was a good thing (not likely), of course I would love to help purchase it.

Johnny

sy2206
01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, I have spoken with Barry a couple times recently about this. He agrees that it would be fun, but the costs are too great for the club to consume. The last time they had an autox, which I think was SDAC13, they lost money on it. I wouldn't have a problem helping and try to organize it, and I agree with you Johnny as it will probably on our own effort. I have some contact info for some Gettysburg/Carlisle area SCCA guys, so I can try and move forward with this.

I just wanted to see what people were thinking, if this was a waste of time or if you guys think we should really try and do this. Of course I want to do it, but there needs to be a fair amount of interest from other people in the crowd, or it's not worth it...

sdac guy
01-11-2010, 02:04 PM
If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all. I remember at SDAC-8 we had an autocross at the drag strip on drag day. Cliff Sebring ran the Silver Bullet in the autocross on his drag slicks. That may not be the optimum tire to run an autocross with, but with the nitrous shot he was running, he needed the slicks on every straight part of the course as he lit the tires up every time!

Mark, you want to talk to Barry? You want to see if you can talk to the SCCA club? You want to be the organizer of the event for SDAC? Because I think Barry is not interested in making it happen. If you took control and worked with him, I am sure he would work with you.
Johnny I take offense at your statement above claiming my lack interest in making it happen.

EVERY year we investigate holding an autocross and road course event. That's right, EVERY YEAR.

Mark doesn't really live in the area of SDAC-20 and we already have folks looking into an autocross. Those planning folks in the area of SDAC-20 have already been in touch with the local SCCA region. And as usual they are not all that enthused in holding an event just for us (especially in our schedule). That said, there might be an autocross on the Saturday we start our event. But how many will travel out a day early just to autocross? That remains to be seen.

I am all for track events, both road course and autocross. But both of those are too expensive for us to hold on our own with the number of participants we will get. Heck, drag racing has nearly priced itself out of our events as it is, just barely breaking even and we are charging $70 or more per car to race.

In order to have an autocross we MUST have the cooperation of the local SCCA region. To get on their insurance policy they must run the event for us at a site approved by them. The last time that happened was at SDAC-13. We approach them every year, and every year we get turned down. Maybe this year will be different. We can only hope so.

Barry

jl93sundance
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd love to do an auto x event with my srt.

Turbo3Iroc
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
The auto X that the local Cincinnati club put on was great. We had a blast there. It was on the Saturday though so there was only a few of us that showed.

30 PSI SHADOW
01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Im in! Yes SDAC 13 auto X was awesome!!

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
If I brought the van, I'd do it for sure, :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Im in! Yes SDAC 13 auto X was awesome!!

Somewhere I got pics or video of your phenominal cone tipping and re-setting action! :thumb:

30 PSI SHADOW
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
LOL! yes its on the video Jonny B made of the event..

30 PSI SHADOW
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
summit point is almost close enough wink wink...

Johnny
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Johnny I take offense at your statement above claiming my lack interest in making it happen.

No reason to, I just thought since it was a money looser the last time, you were not interested, and I totally understand.

EVERY year we investigate holding an autocross and road course event. That's right, EVERY YEAR.
I did not know that, thank you for trying every year!!

Johnny

Johnny
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I am planning on bringing my turbo Plymouth wagon with the SDAC engine in it.
I would love to show it, drag race it and autocross it.

Here is a challenge for all that would autocross, can you beat the "family" k-car station wagon?
:)

Johnny

Captain Chaos
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Here is a challenge for all that would autocross, can you beat the "family" k-car station wagon?

Johnny

"Takes one to catch one.":thumb:

86seeS
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
id autocross the S i think it would be a blast!!!!!

sdac guy
01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
summit point is almost close enough wink wink...The inquiry there has already been made. They want $10K to rent SP for the day. That doesn't include insurance (another $2500).

Our road course driving schools average about 20 folks. So if we went there, we would have to charge $650 each for the day. If we charge that much, it is likely we wouldn't get much over a dozen folks folks to run, if that many.

As cheap as our track costs were at Waterford Hills for SDAC-18, we were able to keep our fee at $200, and we had 26 people enter. But a number of those were Chrysler folks that came out for the day. At SDAC-16 in Topeka there were a dozen or less of our guys that did the road course, and about the same number did the autocross. At SDAC-14 we teamed up with the Mini Cooper folks for a day at Blackhawk Farms road course and even though it was cheap at $200 for the day, only a dozen of our folks entered it.

The point is, going out on a limb for a $10K+ track day is very risky for us since we don't know how many of our folks will turn out, and we would need double the average turnout to even come close to breaking even.

And as I said in my previous post, even the drag racing is getting harder to hold. The quote from the strip for this year will have our drag racing fee back in the $80-$90 range per entry. If you guys want evening racing again, then it will certainly be at least $90 each (because they get $125 per hour for track lights). And that is based on 40 or so racers, if we get less, we will be in the red on it, if we should get more then we might make a buck or two. We have been averaging 40-45 drag racers the last few years.

Barry

jonnyb
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
LOL! yes its on the video Jonny B made of the event..

Yeah - that was hilarious and amazing. What was it? Three cones knocked over by the front bumper, only to be lifted back up by the bumper as you backed off of them. That sweet move saved you a 15 second penalty on your time, but I'm not so sure that it didn't take you more than 15 seconds to back up off of them...LOL!

That and the old people being lost and driving onto the autocross course (which I didn't put into the video) were crazy.

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in doing an autocross and/or a road course depending on the cost. My GLHS still needs the Koni's to be rebuilt and I doubt I'll get to that before SDAC, so I don't think I'd pay more than a hundred or so to go sloshing around in my GLHS.

omni_840
01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I would lovew to do an Auto-X and Sy2206 can I get a ride in your dad's GLH if we have an auto-X event ::D:

sy2206
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Can I get in on that? :)

Johnny
01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Can I get in on that?

Your on!

ATaylorRacing
01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
......even the drag racing is getting harder to hold. The quote from the strip for this year will have our drag racing fee back in the $80-$90 range per entry. If you guys want evening racing again, then it will certainly be at least $90 each (because they get $125 per hour for track lights). And that is based on 40 or so racers, if we get less, we will be in the red on it, if we should get more then we might make a buck or two. We have been averaging 40-45 drag racers the last few years.

Barry

Hey Barry, just don't let them know that I am going to be there!:eyebrows:

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

stormy69
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
When I met my wife she had two girls and I have my two so we needed a better family car than the SRT-4.:o

i had 3 kids and an 84 mustang coupe! we lived in phoenix and the wife never complained as it was our only car with a/c (1991) lol

mcsvt
01-13-2010, 05:25 PM
If my car is ready (better be) then yes I would auto-x.

bradp
01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Here is a challenge for all that would autocross, can you beat the "family" k-car station wagons?

Johnny

Fixed it for you, I'll auto-x mine too!!!!!:eyebrows:

ScottD
01-14-2010, 09:29 PM
We are looking into an auto-x but as Barry mentioned at this point it looks like it would have to be held on Saturday. To keep the costs reasonable another club needs to host it for us so we can piggyback off them and their insurance. Clubs don't really want to host during the week, they don't want to lose money either.

Johnny
01-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Saturday is good!

moparman76_69
01-15-2010, 09:01 AM
I'd do it on Saturday.

fleckster
01-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Count me in! I auto-xed at SDAC-13 with the stock suspention on my Spirit R/T and had a blast. I'd love to do it again with the Konis and Eibachs on the car now!

mcsvt
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I'd be willing to do Sat. also. I usually arrive on Friday anyway.

bradp
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Count me in! I auto-xed at SDAC-13 with the stock suspention on my Spirit R/T and had a blast. I'd love to do it again with the Konis and Eibachs on the car now!

Is Carla going to drive it over:D I know she loves the way it rides. NOT!!:o It's like driving a log wagon:(

fleckster
01-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Is Carla going to drive it over:D I know she loves the way it rides. NOT!!:o It's like driving a log wagon:(

No, I've learned my lesson. If I'm gonna race, I tow the car! That's why I got the trailer anyway.

Now you are bad-mouthing the Evil Spurt? I know it's not the "Comfy Couch" anymore but what do you expect with Konis on full firm. She's auto-x ready! :thumb:

BIGBRUDDA
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
No, I've learned my lesson. If I'm gonna race, I tow the car! That's why I got the trailer anyway.

Now you are bad-mouthing the Evil Spurt? I know it's not the "Comfy Couch" anymore but what do you expect with Konis on full firm. She's auto-x ready! :thumb:

Are you sure Fleck? I think it still needs more rudder and a couple stone worth of ballast!:D

fleckster
01-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Even with the stock suspension, I beat Warren's CSX times at SDAC-13 but not by much. (I think I figured out which side to enter the slalom cones on and it made a difference on how much speed you entered with!)

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Hmm, can I auto-x the truck? :eyebrows:

Vigo
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
I would autoX if it was available NO MATTER WHAT. Like even if i brought my van and blew a tire and it was on the spare. I would still AutoX. If it caught fire and burned to the ground i would co-drive with someone else, or rent a car. I would AUTOX!

Johnny
01-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Not bringing the "Limo"?

Vigo
01-16-2010, 09:05 PM
That thing is so far from 'ready to show' its not even funny. It needs EVERYTHING. Im looking forward to taking it on as my biggest project ever, but i think it will take years. :)

neongary
01-26-2010, 11:47 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post up your opinions, good or bad, lets hear it!

It's been a few years since we've had an auto-x at an SDAC event, and I'd like to get it back in the works. Afterall, our cars are geared more towards auto-xing then drag racing anyway. ;) For you guys who haven't tried it, you need to!!! If you think drag racing is fun, I'll give you a ride in my Dads GLHT and I think you'll reconsider. Not to mention, this is fairly easy on the car. It's pretty tough to break parts auto-xing, you'll just put a little wear on the tires and brake pads. Anyway, we know there are multiple hurdles in getting this setup, but I've got some help from some people involved in the SCCA and I think we could make this happen.

Venue is one issue. Finding a place thats suitable to hold this type of event, and convincing them to let us use it. I know multiple drag strips that have used their parking lot or staging area for auto-x in the past. I know this won't work at all the tracks we've been at, but it's an option. Or I can contact some of the local clubs and try and get us into one of their usual venues.

Insurance is another issue. I'm working on this. It's not as big of an issue as some may think, but let me see what I can come up with.

Equipment. Timing equipment is fairly expensive, but I've got a couple things going here. I've been talking to a few people about getting some PC based software that could be used. Just have to buy some sensors and probably a PLC to control it all. If I can put togather a good reliable home-built system for a couple hundred bucks, I'll DONATE it to the National SDAC. Otherwise, if you guys are interested, I know a club thats looking to sell their entire setup. This is everything, timing equipment, cones, flags, the whole works. It's about $4k worth of stuff, but the guy who owns it wants it gone like yesterday. He said $900 takes it. I've seen the equipment, it's very very nice. If we can get some people to all chip in, we can pool our money and buy it as a club and it will be property of the National SDAC. If you guys are interested, LET ME KNOW!! I'll throw in the first $100 myself, and I'll donate my time/gas to go pick everything up. This would be sweet, because it would be owned by SDAC, and could be used every year.

Cost. Participant cost should be able to be kept fairly low. I would think we could do it for somewhere in the $30-$40 range per car.

Sponsorship. Maybe we could see if we can get a Shelby/Dodge vendor involed. I know certain venders have sponsored certain parts of SDAC in the past, maybe we can get someone to help out here? Or help with some equipment costs or venue/insurance costs? Venders, if you're interested, speak up...

So... What do you guys/gals think? Are you interested? Is this a waste of my time, trying to get this all going? I'm really looking for some feedback here. Thoughts? Questions? Ideas? Things I missed? Proposals? Donations? Comments? Concerns?

LETS HEAR IT!!!! :)

I'd love to auto-x, but honestly have more fun at the road course events. Last time for me was Michigan International Speedway in my Neon R/T...whatever year that was. :confused:

shelbyconcepts
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Hmm, can I auto-x the truck? :eyebrows:

Yep, ...been done before.... Brock Yates Jr... Did a Dually at SDAC in Maryland...

omnigoestohell
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
The event is in Maryland again this year --- maybe we could convince them to repave Cal Ripken Stadium again --- we can put some fresh rubber down on it for them after.

Anyway, if I bring my car I'll do all events, autox or not, even if it means that JohnnyS actually ends up doing the driving.

Personally I feel a non turbo car is better for an autocross and a turbo car is better on a road course, but that raises an entirely different level of cost and inflexibility in potential venues.

Can't wait guys, lets have fun.

sdac guy
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
The event is in Maryland again this year --- maybe we could convince them to repave Cal Ripken Stadium again --- we can put some fresh rubber down on it for them after.

Anyway, if I bring my car I'll do all events, autox or not, even if it means that JohnnyS actually ends up doing the driving.

Personally I feel a non turbo car is better for an autocross and a turbo car is better on a road course, but that raises an entirely different level of cost and inflexibility in potential venues.

Can't wait guys, lets have fun.We will never go back to Cal Ripoff stadium. I got talked into that place one time and that is enough. It was a really nice parking lot, but it was extraordinarily expensive, and the main reason we lost about $1K on that event.

Barry

mcsvt
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I've autocrossed there at an SCCA event before, thought it was a pretty good setup. They also have events in the Boeing parking lot, though I can't remember where that is...

sdac guy
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I've autocrossed there at an SCCA event before, thought it was a pretty good setup. They also have events in the Boeing parking lot, though I can't remember where that is...Yeah, I would imagine that at an SCCA event at Ripken stadium they get 100 or more folks to run. That would cover the cost of the place (in 2003 that parking lot cost us $1600), and with timing equipment rental and insurance from SCCA our total cost for that autocross was about $2200. We only got about 30 folks to run, and that didn't nearly cover the cost.

BTW, I have been keeping a tally on how this thread is going and even counting the "maybe's" I come up with less than 20 folks participating so far.

Barry

omnigoestohell
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
The Cal Ripken suggestion was a joke Barry :)

sdac guy
02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
The Cal Ripken suggestion was a joke Barry :)
Oh, cool. Maybe someday I will be able to laugh about it. But not yet ... :D

Barry

turbojerk
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll auto-x just to piss people off!

Pat
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll auto-x just to piss people off!

Hotel parking lot? I'm in! :)

turbojerk
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Hotel parking lot? I'm in! :)

Sounds good to me!

I'll start "collecting" cones now!:lol:

Vigo
02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Ive got ~7! The slalom is covered :lol:

RoadWarrior222
02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Issue a statement to local clubs and auto forums saying you can neither confirm nor deny the rumored participation of Ken Block in the AutoX event.... and charge $10 admission to spectators.

sdac guy
02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Issue a statement to local clubs and auto forums saying you can neither confirm nor deny the rumored participation of Ken Block in the AutoX event.... and charge $10 admission to spectators.

Oh, I like that! :lol:

Barry

denviola
02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
BTW, I have been keeping a tally on how this thread is going and even counting the "maybe's" I come up with less than 20 folks participating so far.

Barry

Been keeping tabs on this and watching hopefully, in the background. If this is the time to stand up and be counted, then count me in as a participant.
Denny

Pat
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Clever!

omnigoestohell
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh, cool. Maybe someday I will be able to laugh about it. But not yet ... :D

Barry

Just keep repeating the phrase "serenity now" and things are apt to get better.

Couldn't you sorta qualify some of Alan's behavior at past SDAC hotel parking lots as an autocross? All we need now are some cones..

ScottD
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
We could do an Alan-cross for no cost. Set up some cones, park 5 cars with their rear bumpers all in a line, get a bunch of TM stickers and see who can get put stickers on each car and navigate the cones in the least amount of time.

turbojerk
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I challenge ScottD and Pat to an Auto-X grudge match!

boneyardracing
02-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I would autox no question. I am the VP of ASCC the club that handles autox in the south central PA area and Im willing to donate any services I can to get an event at SDAC

sdac guy
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the offer boneyard. But as of today, it looks like we will have an autocross at SDAC-20 and it will be a weekday event for us, not on Saturday as previously thought.

It is not firmed up yet, but we expect it to be by next week. We are getting ready to announce our tentative schedule for SDAC-20 in the next week or so, along with the host hotel information.

Barry

Force Fed Mopar
02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the offer boneyard. But as of today, it looks like we will have an autocross at SDAC-20 and it will be a weekday event for us, not on Saturday as previously thought.

It is not firmed up yet, but we expect it to be by next week. We are getting ready to announce our tentative schedule for SDAC-20 in the next week or so, along with the host hotel information.

Barry

Along w/ prices for auto-x, hotel, pre-registering etc, right? :D

Johnny
02-06-2010, 04:20 AM
it looks like we will have an autocross at SDAC-20

I am driving across the country to come then...for sure!!

sdac guy
02-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Along w/ prices for auto-x, hotel, pre-registering etc, right? :D We still have a couple things to firm up on costs so we can set event fees. So, Pre-registration info will be released sometime in early April, that's the plan now. But the overall picture will be that the fees for SDAC-20 will be very similar to what SDAC-19 were, with no major fee hikes for any event. That means basic registration will remain about $55-60 per person, and drag racing will be in the $65-70 range. We are hoping to bring the auto-x fee in at $30-35, but I don't know yet what our cost will be.

Barry

amoparacer
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Well now that I own a 5 speed mini I will be getting a tow dolly to bring shelby 924 out for some fun. Let see should I drag race 924 GLHS and auto cross the mini or ???? Also i didnt notice but where will 20 sdac be.????

cordes
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
We still have a couple things to firm up on costs so we can set event fees. So, Pre-registration info will be released sometime in early April, that's the plan now. But the overall picture will be that the fees for SDAC-20 will be very similar to what SDAC-19 were, with no major fee hikes for any event. That means basic registration will remain about $55-60 per person, and drag racing will be in the $65-70 range. We are hoping to bring the auto-x fee in at $30-35, but I don't know yet what our cost will be.

Barry

Count me in for all of it at those prices. :)

BadAssPerformance
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Well now that I own a 5 speed mini I will be getting a tow dolly to bring shelby 924 out for some fun. Let see should I drag race 924 GLHS and auto cross the mini or ???? Also i didnt notice but where will 20 sdac be.????

Glad you're coming out Lynn! :thumb:

SDAC-20 is in MD near Gettysburgh, PA...

Twisted Noodle
02-06-2010, 11:38 AM
This should be a poll...

sdac guy
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
This should be a poll...It doesn't matter now that we have the event planned. 10 people, 20, or 50 (I hope), we got it covered and will hold an autocross. :D

And my personal opinion is that polls don't mean anything. Probably a third of the folks responding positively wouldn't even make it to the event. ;)

As I've said in the past, the only poll that counts is the one that comes out of folks wallets.

Barry

Pat
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I can't wait to show off exactly how much slower I can make my car than it is when Barry Miles drives it. :-)

Twisted Noodle
02-06-2010, 12:49 PM
It doesn't matter now that we have the event planned. 10 people, 20, or 50 (I hope), we got it covered and will hold an autocross. :D

And my personal opinion is that polls don't mean anything. Probably a third of the folks responding positively wouldn't even make it to the event. ;)

As I've said in the past, the only poll that counts is the one that comes out of folks wallets.

Barry

Well Barry, your the man. I won't doubt your judgment.

I can't wait to show off exactly how much slower I can make my car than it is when Barry Miles drives it. :-)

You kidding me? I'm going to wrap the Lancer in bubble rap so the cones don't beat the rust off her.

cordes
02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Well Barry, your the man. I won't doubt your judgment.

You kidding me? I'm going to wrap the Lancer in bubble rap so the cones don't beat the rust off her.

:lol:

moparman76_69
02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Sweet hopefully nobody cares if I use a dakota?

1FastCSX289
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Auto X cheaper than drag racing? Might have to switch things up this year???

NICE.:eyebrows:

shelbyconcepts
02-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Barry,

Any chance a lil red omni will be seen this year?........ 20 years..... Kind of a dig deal.....

Tim

Force Fed Mopar
02-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah I'll have a go at auto-x for that price :)

Johnny
02-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I want to drag race and autocross!

Pat
02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
We should do a little drag race/autox competition. Who can get the lowest combined time..best autox run, best drag pass. :eyebrows:

Could be fun!

cordes
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
We should do a little drag race/autox competition. Who can get the lowest combined time..best autox run, best drag pass. :eyebrows:

Could be fun!

That would be a lot of fun.

fleckster
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
There was a "King of the Hill" iron-man (car) competition at SDAC-14 in MD. I even drive the Spirit there and was proud to have auto-crossed, dragged, showed, and even won the 1st Road Rallye. If they are offered again this year I'll plan on doing it again. (minus driving the car there. I'll trailer it.)

The car is much quicker in the quarter now, has much better handling suspension (Eibachs and Konis), 16" wheels and 225/50 tires, Now if only the paint was better. I'll upgrade the brakes before then.

Johnny
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
We should do a little drag race/autox competition. Who can get the lowest combined time..best autox run, best drag pass

That would get more cars to do both races!

cordes
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
There was a "King of the Hill" iron-man (car) competition at SDAC-14 in MD. I even drive the Spirit there and was proud to have auto-crossed, dragged, showed, and even won the 1st Road Rallye. If they are offered again this year I'll plan on doing it again. (minus driving the car there. I'll trailer it.)

The car is much quicker in the quarter now, has much better handling suspension (Eibachs and Konis), 16" wheels and 225/50 tires, Now if only the paint was better. I'll upgrade the brakes before then.

You guys are getting me super excited about this year. I would love to do an iron man type of deal. I will find out next week if I will be traveling to Memphis for a week, and then straight to SDAC. This is shaping up to be a road trip to remember for us.

Fleck, if you make sure to park next to me throughout the majority of the events people will be amazed with your paint. :nod:

fleckster
02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
It's not bad paint I guess but it is original and starting to show it's age, especially with others showing up with newer paint. It also would be nicer if I wouldn't have screwed up and banged it up a couple years ago being stupid doing a burnout and going under a wire fence!

turbojerk
02-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Could be fun!

I'm in!:nod:

rx2mazda
02-06-2010, 09:00 PM
this should be a really fun SDAC!

omni_840
02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
this should be a really fun SDAC!
+1 looking forward to it:nod:

T-Bohn
02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I thought I was excited last year going to my first SDAC with a new car.

Now knowing more of you guys and having worked on my car for a year or so I am even more excited about it.

So much I want to get done between now and then.

I need more money to buy parts

Pat
02-06-2010, 11:33 PM
That would get more cars to do both races!

Exactly! Plus, nothing motivates like a little competition!

It doesn't have to be complicated. Lowest combined time of the two events takes the win.

Johnny
02-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I need more money to buy parts

Sonic is waiting for you :)

sdac guy
02-07-2010, 12:16 AM
There was a "King of the Hill" iron-man (car) competition at SDAC-13 in MD. That award was called the "Top Gun" and we had it for 3 years I think, with Maryland being the last year. It was discontinued due to lack of interest.

We only charged a $5 fee to be eligible for it, and out of 143 registrations for SDAC-13, only 5 people paid the $5 to be part of the Top Gun competition (and yes John you were one of those). In the three years we ran it I think it peaked at SDAC-13 with those 5 entrants. The Top Gun competition will not be back.

Barry

T-Bohn
02-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Sonic is waiting for you :)

1 large watermelon is on me!

turbojerk
02-07-2010, 10:07 AM
The Top Gun competition will not be back.

Barry

Ummm, why not?:confused2:

moparman76_69
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Ummm, why not?:confused2:

It was discontinued due to lack of interest.

My guess would be this....

speeddemon
02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
1) we don't hold a road course/autox every year
2) lack of interest
4) only people with a true shot entered (see point 2 above)

I'm not sure a top gun award generates additional entries in the events, I can only think of five or six cars that would have a chance at taking a title like that. (which explains the lack of interest).

IMHO a true top gun would have points available in the drags and autox but also include elements of the car show, road rally and SDAC 'spirit'. The point is mute however because it is not going to happen.

turbojerk
02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
My guess would be this....

Not to be a smart-a$$, but there seems to be a good bit of interest in this thread, or did I misread that too????:lol:

30 PSI SHADOW
02-07-2010, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=sdac guy;620660]Thanks for the offer boneyard. But as of today, it looks like we will have an autocross at SDAC-20 and it will be a weekday event for us, not on Saturday as previously thought.

SWEET!!! Im in!!

Pat
02-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey, I'm just happy there's an autox this year. If we don't do more than that, fine. I"m still autoxing! :-)

Johnny
02-07-2010, 01:32 PM
The top autocross and the top drag cars are NOT the same cars, they are set up different.
So I can see why the top, say 6, of each class would not do well in the top gun class, when
or if there was one.

sdac guy
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Not to be a smart-a$$, but there seems to be a good bit of interest in this thread, or did I misread that too????:lol:5 people responding positively is a good bit of interest??? :confused2:

We have been down the Top Gun path before, had it for 3 years, had miserable involvement for all three years, never even 10 people signing up for it (and at the time we also included the car show as part of it).

We hold events and give awards based on what is popular at our event. If an award or event such as this is not popular with folks, then it is stopped. Just like the Young Guns drag competition, on TD.com back then there was a lot of buzz about it and requests for us to hold it. We had it for a couple years, never even got 8 people to show up at the starting line for it. And with the YG race, it wasn't an extra fee either. As long as they paid the drag racing fee it was included, just like all the other races. So why should we organize a race that so few enter?

That is why I no longer put much stock in what folks say they will do in threads like this. It isn't that folks aren't sincere when they post up, as I believe they are. But at the end of the event, when we tally up the number of folks that actually do enter an event, or sign up for an award category, it nowhere comes near the seeming interest level that was shown online. And it has happened to us many, many times over the years.

Barry

turbojerk
02-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Ok then, can the thought...

moparman76_69
02-07-2010, 04:23 PM
What kind of extra cost is involved in having it? Seems like the only thing extra that would need to be done is the cost of a plaque/trophy being made. Maybe somebody (vendor maybe) should step up if its not too cost intensive.

sdac guy
02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
What kind of extra cost is involved in having it? Seems like the only thing extra that would need to be done is the cost of a plaque/trophy being made. Maybe somebody (vendor maybe) should step up if its not too cost intensive.It is not a cost issue.

We did it for 3 years. It never caught on. So now it is over. Let it go.

Barry

Turbo3Iroc
02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
So if it isn't a cost issue, why not just put everyone in it and see who the winner is? I think it would be pretty fun myself.

minigts
02-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I'll run mine as long as I get a baffle system in the oil pan. Man I would hate to dry up going around a few corners...... or would I......(thinking a new motor would come from it! :))

cordes
02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
So if it isn't a cost issue, why not just put everyone in it and see who the winner is? I think it would be pretty fun myself.

I think you are on the right track, but I think we could just compare notes in the lot at the end of the night. I would be surprised if there were more than 6 of us in the conversation to be honest.

sdac guy
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
So if it isn't a cost issue, why not just put everyone in it and see who the winner is? I think it would be pretty fun myself.Because then we would have to go through all the competitors data to find the best times or scores. The car show would be easy to do as we have a list of winners, and autocross data would be a little harder. But for the drag racing we would be searching through a half inch thick printout list of runs, and figuring out who all the drivers are vs their car numbers, and then comparing to the other two events, it just takes too much time.

And time is not something we usually have an abundance of when approaching awards night. It is usually a very hectic time and we are in a rush to get ready. Heck, I think I've been mistaken on the drag race winners for 4 years in a row, just because we are in such a rush (and because by the end of the event I've had so little sleep that all numbers look the same to me).

I would really appreciate it, if this subject was dropped. I feel the topic has run its course, and that the real interest for it was shown at past events. It is not going to happen and I am tired of answering up for it.

Please, let it go.

Barry

fleckster
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I completely understand and agree with Barry's request.

If there are a handful of entries that want to compare numbers, then the few are are interested can bring their timeslips from the track and readouts from the autocross to the hotel parking lot and compare and bench race/trash talk there. It's all harmless fun and doesn't have to interfere with all the other event prep that must take place behind the scenes for the event to happen smoothly. Or for that matter, we can discuss our times here on the Forum after the event's over. The important thing is that we get as many people to participate in the racing as possible to help pay for the track time!

sdac guy
02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I completely understand and agree with Barry's request.

If there are a handful of entries that want to compare numbers, then the few are are interested can bring their timeslips from the track and readouts from the autocross to the hotel parking lot and compare and bench race/trash talk there. It's all harmless fun and doesn't have to interfere with all the other event prep that must take place behind the scenes for the event to happen smoothly. Or for that matter, we can discuss our times here on the Forum after the event's over. The important thing is that we get as many people to participate in the racing as possible to help pay for the track time!

+1

Thanks John.

Barry

Turbo3Iroc
02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes better understood after it was explained.

Vigo
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
There's only so much wick to burn.

Asking people who dont organize the event to get rich to do a buttload more work for no extra gain other than the satisfaction of 5 people out of 100, is a bit much.

If i show up, i will autocross and drag and bench race my own results with whoever wants to stand around talking about it, but im fine with there not being anyone putting in extra hours to organize my paperwork and give me 'official' results.

jonnyb
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Sweet! OK, just the kick in the butt I needed to get the Koni's on my GLHS sent out to be rebuilt.

minigts
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
sweet! Ok, just the kick in the butt i needed to get the koni's on my glhs sent out to be rebuilt.
BRING IT ON Mary!!! :d

rx2mazda
02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey, I'm just happy there's an autox this year. If we don't do more than that, fine. I"m still autoxing! :-)

I'll let you have the autoX win Pat, no need for me to "rub it in" :p

jonnyb
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
BRING IT ON Mary!!! :d

Oh now you've gone and done it....that's it...big brakes are going on too!!!

:D

turbojerk
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I've already got the 11's and these new sweeties so I'll be game for some compitition!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6305/konis.jpg

minigts
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh now you've gone and done it....that's it...big brakes are going on too!!!

:D

Dang it, now I have to get MINE on as well. :D This should be fun. :thumb:

I've already got the 11's and these new sweeties so I'll be game for some compitition!

NICE STUFF!!! I have those on my car and absolutely LOVE them!! You'll never go back to the old stuff again.

turbojerk
02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
NICE STUFF!!! I have those on my car and absolutely LOVE them!! You'll never go back to the old stuff again.

The car handled REAL well with the GLHS Koni's and MP Auto-X springs so I'm hopping to be further impressed with these!!

168glhs1986
02-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Nice. What length and lb rating are springs? I have a brand new set of Eibach 7", 450lb springs you could've had. Bought 2 identical sets by mistake and couldn't return them.

turbojerk
02-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Nice. What length and lb rating are springs?

450lb

minigts
02-09-2010, 08:21 PM
WOW, 450. Man I have mid 200's in the front and like low 300's in the rear and I think MY car is stiff. Man that thing must not have any roll at all.

turbojerk
02-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Guess that I'll find out soon enough!

168glhs1986
02-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Guess that I'll find out soon enough!

450 lb rate is perfect...how long are they? 7"?

black86glhs
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes I would Mark. However, we don't hold SDAC in Minniesoda, so you wouldn't see it.....lol.

turbojerk
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
450 lb rate is perfect...how long are they? 7"?

Yup!:nod:

omnigoestohell
02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
It doesn't matter now that we have the event planned. 10 people, 20, or 50 (I hope), we got it covered and will hold an autocross. :D

Barry

Great to hear there will be an event. I agree about 1/3rd of the folks responding probably won't make it out, could be even higher than that, but also the number of people who stumbled upon this thread and were motivated to reply to it yes or no way probably doesn't very completely represent the
greater SDAC membership either. Anyway, count me in, I'll use my Honduh if for some reason the Omni isn't there.

sy2206
02-18-2010, 06:21 PM
WOW, 450. Man I have mid 200's in the front and like low 300's in the rear and I think MY car is stiff. Man that thing must not have any roll at all.

Yeah, my dads GLHT is running the same setup as Mike will be. #450's in the front and #350's in the rear. :eyebrows:

For you guys running the Koni coilovers, the Eibach helper springs are a nice added touch, especially for auto-xing. We added the helpers to the Koni coilovers on my dads car and they're nice. When the coilovers go in my GLHT, they will definitely have the helper springs on them also. They keep the springs in place when the tires come off the ground(especially the rears, they're off all the time when auto-xing). However, they're not cheap. You'll have about $300 in the whole setup. You'll need 8 parts total:

2-2.25" helper springs
2-2.25" spacers
2-2.50" helper springs
2-2.50" spacers

For those of you who are not familiar, basically, the helper spring keeps constant pressure on the main spring and the hat, when the preload weight of the car is non-existant(like when the tire is off the ground). The helper holds the main spring down in place and also holds the hat up. It keeps the main spring from coming up off the perch(if it comes up and off, it may not seat back down correctly), and also keeps the hat from sliding down and falling out. When the suspension is compressed, the helper spring compresses 100%, so it does not effect the spring rates of the main springs. When the helpers are compressed flat, they're about 1/2" thick.

****If you decide to go this route, read this next section***

When I did my dads Koni's, with the helper spring completely compressed, the top of the spacer was hitting the bottom of the lip on the hat, so I had to machine them down. You do NOT want those to hit, the spring needs to compress completely. Take a look at my fine artwork. ;) That's probably the best way of explaining it.

There 2 picts attached. One is some Koni's off a Honda with the helper springs installed. I don't have any picts of the ones from my dads GLHT. The red arrow is the helper spring, black arrow is the spacer, and it keeps pressure up on the hat and down on the main spring(green arrows).

Keito
02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Looking forward to see your car running this autocross event SY2206:clap:

sdac guy
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I've been talking to our autocross planners and we have come up with the classes we will award.

Stock Class 1
Stock Class 2
Street Class 1
Street Class 2
Modified Class
Unlimited Class

We haven't completely figured what will comprise the class definitions so don't ask me what class your car will be in or what will separate the classes. We will certainly have that info in the info packet in the goody bags and available on our website and at the track that day. The classes above are the same ones we ran for SDAC-13 and they worked out well. In all the above classes we will award 1st & 2nd places.

There are two other awards we will give out that day, and each of these are 1st place only.

Best Ladies Autocross

Best Novice Autocross

Barry

firebaron90
05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Barry,

Just saw this thread, and glad to hear that there will be a auto cross. I will not be renting a car this year, as I finally have some iron to run, so cant wait for the auto x ( I can finally test Chris Wright's baffled pan)....:eyebrows: