PDA

View Full Version : So what are the SDAC-20 dates?

Sgt Craig
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Need to put it for my vacation soon and im sure others do too.

BadAssPerformance
01-10-2010, 12:06 PM
June 26-30 2010

Sgt Craig
01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
June 26-30 2010

thanks JT!

jl93sundance
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Where's it going to be located?:ban::p

Sgt Craig
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
where's it going to be located?:ban::p

roglmao!

Sgt Craig
01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
June 26-30 2010

What day does the Chitown contingent plan on leaving.Id like to meet up with you guys on the way and roll out.Probally meet up at the New Stanton oasis on the Pa Pike.

BadAssPerformance
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
We usually cruise out on Saturday... will know when when we get closer :thumb:

bradp
01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
We usually cruise out on Saturday... will know when when we get closer :thumb:

If anyone leaves on Friday we might follow or lead. We are only driving about 1/2 way on Friday having a baby and a 4 yearold (along with a 12 yr old that acts like he's 4:D...LOL)The whole fam damily (6 of us) is going this year as my wife's aunt lives about 1 1/2-2 hours away and after SDAC we are going there for a week.:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
We'll keep that in mind, or let you knwo when we are coming thru Saturday :thumb:

Is it bad that I already cant wait!

Captain Chaos
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
We'll keep that in mind, or let you knwo when we are coming thru Saturday :thumb:

Is it bad that I already cant wait!

No because i have a good chance of going and am looking forward to it.

bradp
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I am pumped!!!!

22shelby
01-10-2010, 08:12 PM
yeah right JT ur deff not the only one.... this will be my first SDAC and im all in... the hotel... trailering the car...

i belive i heard gettysburg area???? id really like to know if theres going to be a host hotel.... id like to get the reservations... what track... when it comes to this kind of stuff, im a planner...
more of i need to save money'er....

but i will let my "new" work place know the dates...

22shelby
01-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Convoy!!!!!!!!!

86seeS
01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Convoy!!!!!!!!!

im in for sure 100%

sdac guy
01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
yeah right JT ur deff not the only one.... this will be my first SDAC and im all in... the hotel... trailering the car...

i belive i heard gettysburg area???? id really like to know if theres going to be a host hotel.... id like to get the reservations... what track... when it comes to this kind of stuff, im a planner...
more of i need to save money'er....

but i will let my "new" work place know the dates...

We have a host hotel as of a couple weeks ago. It is in Hagerstown MD. I will post the info here in a few weeks (the info goes out to our members in our newsletter first).

Barry

22shelby
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
AWSOME!!! im so stoked!!

omni_840
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
AWSOME!!! im so stoked!!

+1 on this definately looking forward to this one:amen:

BadAssPerformance
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Convoy!!!!!!!!!

We always have a Chicago convoy, anybody West is welcome to join in! :thumb:

cordes
01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
We have a host hotel as of a couple weeks ago. It is in Hagerstown MD. I will post the info here in a few weeks (the info goes out to our members in our newsletter first).

Barry

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/715/jpeg1124562828.jpg

If all goes well this year, I will be heading to SDAC after spending a week touring the historic sites of Memphis.

I can't wait to get the hotel info so I can figure out if they allow dogs. I really don't want to leave her for 2.5-3 weeks at a kennel if I don't have to.

jl93sundance
01-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Barry

:mad::censored:

jl93sundance
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Hope its not a sh!tty hotel like last year....I was willing to pay the extra few $$ for a decent hotel, as I'm sure many others were as well.

Abkshelby
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
If nothing else in life goes wrong I'm planning on coming this year. Has been awhile for me. May or may not bring my CSX. These conventions are always a great time.

ATaylorRacing
01-10-2010, 10:49 PM
We have a host hotel as of a couple weeks ago. It is in Hagerstown MD.....

Barry

I just checked Indy's drag racing dates and there are NO pts races set up for that weekend....just need to find a baby sitter!!!:o

WOW, I guess I will not drive back and forth like I sometimes do! It is only a 566 mile trip (depending on the details) one way and about 9 1/2 hours. Old Matchbox is just about always up for a road trip like that.
:nod::eyebrows::clap::lol::clap2:

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

ScottD
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
If nothing else in life goes wrong I'm planning on coming this year. Has been awhile for me. May or may not bring my CSX. These conventions are always a great time.

What do you mean may or may not bring the CSX???

Aries_Turbo
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Hope its not a sh!tty hotel like last year....I was willing to pay the extra few $$ for a decent hotel, as I'm sure many others were as well.

you are a guy. who gives a ---- if we all have to sleep in our cars.

are you not a SDAC member? thats the way to get the info earlier.

no complaining about silly stuff please.

BadAssPerformance
01-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Thats the think about hotels... it had a couple issues last year but was awesome in 2005 for SDAC-15

As long as the hotel has an ample parking lot to party in, only need the room for ~4 hours of sleep a night :thumb:

22shelby
01-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Thats the think about hotels... it had a couple issues last year but was awesome in 2005 for SDAC-15

As long as the hotel has an ample parking lot to party in, only need the room for ~4 hours of sleep a night :thumb:

dude ill sleep in my van....or poss new truck:eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Maybe you'll get lucky and the hotel will be by a river so you can live "in a van down by the river" :D

jl93sundance
01-11-2010, 01:25 AM
no complaining about silly stuff please.

:rolleyes:

are you not a SDAC member? thats the way to get the info earlier.

Whats that suppose to mean:confused2:? As I am an SDAC member...

dude ill sleep in my van....or poss new truck:eyebrows:

Might be nicer:eyebrows:

jl93sundance
01-11-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm not only disappointed about the hotel, but was looking forward to the gettysburg area (I also believe it would've been more "family friendly" also). I think it would've been great to cruise around the battlefields and a great photo op place as well.

135sohc
01-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Dont judge a book by its cover.
Theres plenty to do and see in Hagerstown. Sharpsburg/Antietam battlefield is just as nice and far less crowded.

sdac guy
01-11-2010, 07:26 AM

If all goes well this year, I will be heading to SDAC after spending a week touring the historic sites of Memphis.

I can't wait to get the hotel info so I can figure out if they allow dogs. I really don't want to leave her for 2.5-3 weeks at a kennel if I don't have to.

They do not allow pets, and is a complete non-smoking hotel. There are some other rules that need mentioning but that will come later with the announcement.

Barry

Captain Chaos
01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Barry do you know if there are other lodging options near by that allow pets and smokers for those who need that? Maybe a Waldorf Astoria for the royalty that can't stay in a less than 5 star hotel?

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2010, 08:42 AM
As I am an SDAC member...

well then youll get the info as early as possible then.

Brian

ScottD
01-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Having toured the hotel I can tell you it is very nice.

There is a very large parking lot behind the hotel that is somewhat secluded also, good for our late night loitering.

Also, right next to the hotel is a bar called Cancun Cantina, which is supposedly pretty good.

22shelby
01-11-2010, 09:53 AM
bar close to the hotel what????

i dont care what happens, i just want someone to make June already.....

BadAssPerformance
01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
The "bar" is usually in the parking lot, but a good bar with food would be good :thumb:

86seeS
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
hahaha whos getting kicked out first!!! new to the ballot this year "drunkin salor" award

Abkshelby
01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
What do you mean may or may not bring the CSX???

I'd have to sleep in it LOL.

turboshad
01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
We always have a Chicago convoy, anybody West is welcome to join in! :thumb:

Chicago is so welcoming that even Canadians were aloud in their convoy. :thumb:

cordes
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
They do not allow pets, and is a complete non-smoking hotel. There are some other rules that need mentioning but that will come later with the announcement.

Barry

Thanks for the heads up Barry. I will adjust my plans accordingly.

You Canadians are the loudest folks I have ever met. I don't understand how everyone could put up with that noise. ;)

BadAssPerformance
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Anytime DJ! LMK if you guys need a rest stop in Chicago on the way :thumb:

jl93sundance
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Also, right next to the hotel is a bar called Cancun Cantina, which is supposedly pretty good.

Hmm, maybe its time to step up and buy a fake id:eyebrows:

22shelby
01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
and if not mistaken isnt there a drag strip right down the road from hagerstown, that doesnt seem to have anything planned for that weekend....

just say'n...

ScottD
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Hmm, maybe its time to step up and buy a fake id:eyebrows:

I'm a little worried that on Saturday when you Pittsburgh guys arrive we'll see Reble Rob go into Cancun Cantina and we won't see him come out until you guys go to leave on Thursday ....

glhs727
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Barry

what else? Like no burnouts in the parking lot?:eyebrows:

turboshad
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Anytime DJ! LMK if you guys need a rest stop in Chicago on the way :thumb:

If I can make it again I may have to take you up on that. AFIK Mike is out but maybe I can swing through Winnipeg and join up with Shadow which would make Chicago a good second day of the drive. :D

sdac guy
01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
what else? Like no burnouts in the parking lot?:eyebrows: :lol:
It may come to that. It seems that every year the contracts we sign get more specific, and more protective of the hotel rights (without regard to our rights or the fact we are bringing them 10's of thousands of dollars in business).

The contract I signed stipulates I will inform our folks that pets are not allowed and that the motel is 100% smoke free. If violations of either of those rules are discovered, the guest will have an additional $250 charge tacked on to their room cost.

In addition, when folks make their reservations, they better be sure they are going to stay the full time they reserve for. If they check out a day or two early, they will still be charged for the unused term of their reservation.

I think this rule really sucks, but when I talked to the sales manager about this and other things, she was absolutely not going to budge on that policy.

We did not request as big of a room block as we have in the past because the financial penalty for the club is pretty serious money if we don't make 85% of the rooms set aside. All the motels we looked at had these type of clauses in their contracts, and this year we chose the motel that had the least possible financial burden for SDAC in case things didn't go well.

The Wyndham in Gettysburg had, by far, the worst possible financial penalties where if things went really bad for us, we could stand to owe them thousands of dollars. If we didn't get 85% of our room block reserved they would charge us $4000 for the conference room usage (which would be free otherwise). And they had a clause in the contract that if we canceled our event, we would pay them for ALL the contracted room block, and spelled it out, $29,000. Yeah right, like I'm going to sign that. :banghead:

It's not only getting tougher to find host hotels suitable to our needs, but then to find one where our contracted risk is limited is nearly impossible.

Barry

turbojerk
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Christ, we may as well invite the cops out each night while we're at it....

What was the problem with The Eisenhower? They were $5 or $10 cheaper per night?

BadAssPerformance
01-12-2010, 02:15 PM
If I can make it again I may have to take you up on that. AFIK Mike is out but maybe I can swing through Winnipeg and join up with Shadow which would make Chicago a good second day of the drive. :D

Let me know, I have a futon, couch and plenty of floorspace, hope you guys can make it! :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
:lol:
It may come to that. It seems that every year the contracts we sign get more specific, and more protective of the hotel rights (without regard to our rights or the fact we are bringing them 10's of thousands of dollars in business).

The contract I signed stipulates I will inform our folks that pets are not allowed and that the motel is 100% smoke free. If violations of either of those rules are discovered, the guest will have an additional $250 charge tacked on to their room cost.

In addition, when folks make their reservations, they better be sure they are going to stay the full time they reserve for. If they check out a day or two early, they will still be charged for the unused term of their reservation.

I think this rule really sucks, but when I talked to the sales manager about this and other things, she was absolutely not going to budge on that policy.

We did not request as big of a room block as we have in the past because the financial penalty for the club is pretty serious money if we don't make 85% of the rooms set aside. All the motels we looked at had these type of clauses in their contracts, and this year we chose the motel that had the least possible financial burden for SDAC in case things didn't go well.

The Wyndham in Gettysburg had, by far, the worst possible financial penalties where if things went really bad for us, we could stand to owe them thousands of dollars. If we didn't get 85% of our room block reserved they would charge us $4000 for the conference room usage (which would be free otherwise). And they had a clause in the contract that if we canceled our event, we would pay them for ALL the contracted room block, and spelled it out, $29,000. Yeah right, like I'm going to sign that. :banghead:

It's not only getting tougher to find host hotels suitable to our needs, but then to find one where our contracted risk is limited is nearly impossible.

Barry

Ouch, is this a PA thing? I've never heard about stuff like this in Chicago or reserving rooms in Columbus for the Nats... Detroit wasn't strict like this?

sdac guy
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM
What was the problem with The Eisenhower? They were $5 or $10 cheaper per night?Craig was told that their management was in some sort of turmoil and the sale of the place was very possible. And their contract was scary just from how cheesy it was. And IIRC, their restriction on our room block had tighter language. Comparing the 3 contracts, the one we selected was the clear winner.

Ouch, is this a PA thing? I've never heard about stuff like this in Chicago or reserving rooms in Columbus for the Nats... Detroit wasn't strict like this?The Marriott in Detroit had very protectionist language in their contract and the percentage was higher at 95% of room block. But when we talked to the sales manager there, we reached an agreement that worked well for us. They at least realized the potential for income and respected our fears about being affected by things out of our control. In the end we got about 90% of what our original room block would have been, and exceeded the "deal" we made. This thing about checking out early, that's a new one, never heard that before.

Barry

turbojerk
01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Craig was told that their management was in some sort of turmoil and the sale of the place was very possible. And their contract was scary just from how cheesy it was. And IIRC, their restriction on our room block had tighter language. Comparing the 3 contracts, the one we selected was the clear winner.

Barry

Yeah in 2017.

Hell the Eisenhower is ground zero for Gettysburg bike week. I find it hard to believe that a handful of TD's are going to set any disorderly conduct records when compared to bikers....

cordes
01-12-2010, 07:43 PM
:lol:

Barry

Barry, I'm sure you guys have negotiated enough of these that you really know what you are doing. Knowing that makes me scratch my head and wonder who these people think they are, being such sticklers on the small stuff in this economy? My mother was in the hotel business until recently and I'm sure she would have trampled competitors while working past the little things to get this kind of business.

Is the hotel we will be staying at a chain, or is it like the Draw Bridge?

sdac guy
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah in 2017.

Hell the Eisenhower is ground zero for Gettysburg bike week. I find it hard to believe that a handful of TD's are going to set any disorderly conduct records when compared to bikers....Troy I am not going to allow this thread turn into the distressful thread the other one became. Craig, Greg, and I all reviewed the contracts presented us (independently). And we were all unanimous about our choice on the first vote. Let it go, please.

Barry, I'm sure you guys have negotiated enough of these that you really know what you are doing. Knowing that makes me scratch my head and wonder who these people think they are, being such sticklers on the small stuff in this economy? My mother was in the hotel business until recently and I'm sure she would have trampled competitors while working past the little things to get this kind of business.

Is the hotel we will be staying at a chain, or is it like the Draw Bridge? The fact that all of them had some degree of protectionist language was not too surprising. But how thorough a couple of them were in laying it out was just amazing to me. And this year the motel is part of a national chain.

Barry

jl93sundance
01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah in 2017.

Hell the Eisenhower is ground zero for Gettysburg bike week. I find it hard to believe that a handful of TD's are going to set any disorderly conduct records when compared to bikers....

:lol::lol: Bikers are f'in crazy, I don't think we have any gangs like the Pagans rollin into sdac this year either...

cordes
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Troy I am not going to allow this thread turn into the distressful thread the other one became. Craig, Greg, and I all reviewed the contracts presented us (independently). And we were all unanimous about our choice on the first vote. Let it go, please.

The fact that all of them had some degree of protectionist language was not too surprising. But how thorough a couple of them were in laying it out was just amazing to me. And this year the motel is part of a national chain.

Barry

Time will tell I guess. I highly doubt the hotel industry has picked back up yet, so hopefully they roll out the red carpet and everything is great. I'm sure it will be. :nod:

turbojerk
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Troy I am not going to allow this thread turn into the distressful thread the other one became. Craig, Greg, and I all reviewed the contracts presented us (independently). And we were all unanimous about our choice on the first vote. Let it go, please. Barry

Sorry I forgot to type "LoL" at the end of my statement. It was meant to be funny so cool your jets!... My bad!

168glhs1986
01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I must have missed something. Is this being held in Hagerbush? Please tell me I'm reading something wrong. What the F happened to Gettysburg area?

ScottD
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM
I must have missed something. Is this being held in Hagerbush? Please tell me I'm reading something wrong. What the F happened to Gettysburg area?

There are only two hotels in Gettysburg that have conference rooms the size we need, the Wyndham and the Eisenhower. I think Barry's prior posts covered why they weren't selected.

It is very hard to find hotels with a) conference room facilities that can seat our entire group (up to 200) and b) parking that can accomodate all our cars AND trucks/trailers. ALOT of time was spent identifying hotels that could meet this and then checking them out.

sdac guy
01-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Sorry I forgot to type "LoL" at the end of my statement. It was meant to be funny so cool your jets!... My bad!No worries then, Sorry!

Barry

rx2mazda
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Barry

Does this mean we get a $250 charge for doing smokey burnouts in the parking lot?!:D

T-Bohn
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I say we start a burn out collection fund!

csxtra
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Uh...Isn't the proper term "scratch outs"? :D

Or is that only a Fort Mitchell KY term?

1FastCSX289
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
what else? Like no burnouts in the parking lot?:eyebrows:

Noooooooo!!!! Say it aint so!

Uh...Isn't the proper term "scratch outs"? :D

Or is that only a Fort Mitchell KY term?

Yes, scratch outs ARE allowed. No burnouts though. ;)

Cant wait for this year!!!! Bummer im going to miss Saturday b/c I have to go to a wedding....but, such is life. Getting pumped and its 6 mos away. :eyebrows:

R/T
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Then maybe do your part in organizing the event, you can be in charge of hotels. :blah:

turbojerk
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Then maybe do your part in organizing the event, you can be in charge of hotels. :blah:

:lol::lol::lol::blah::blah:

sdac guy
01-13-2010, 05:44 PM

What strikes me as odd on those type of posts is that nobody takes the time to direct an email or private message to me about what exactly was wrong with the motel.

I've not received a single complaint from anyone about their accommodations. There has been some discussion about the problem in the parking lot, but that doesn't reflect on the motel at all (only that initially they handled it poorly).

It had undergone a $2 million renovation the year before we got there, and I noticed that the carpeting and bedding in the room appeared to be fairly new. The rooms SDAC had were clean, I can't speak for others though. So what was the problem?

The rooms we had this last year were better than the rooms we had in 2005 when we were in the other wing, and nobody bad mouthed the motel then.

Barry

Aries_Turbo
01-13-2010, 06:23 PM
yeah and in 2005 the AC was all effed up.

really though, who gives a rats --- if the hotel is all fancy. if you are serious about SDAC and the relationships that you maintain with those in the club, youll barely be in the hotel at all.

Brian

86seeS
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM

really though, who gives a rats --- if the hotel is all fancy. if you are serious about SDAC and the relationships that you maintain with those in the club, youll barely be in the hotel at all.

Brian

i agree 100%

22shelby
01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Right all the grype, we've all stayed at cheeze motel, and usally the cheezier the hotel the more u usally can get away w/.

cordes
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
i agree 100%

I will +1 that. I can't tell you much of anything about the inside of the room I stayed in last year other than the fact that it had a shower, toilet, and a chair that I slept in front of every night. :thumb:

jl93sundance
01-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Hmm, maybe I would if I was part of the sv-td chapter;)...But my planning would probably be shot down anyhow.

No offense to you as you probably helped plan out the hotel accomidations for 19...but it wasn't entirely the hotel itself, it was its staff that stopped all of the parking lot fun, which is a big part of sdac (imo), and then moved us to a dark corner of the parking lot. Nobody could've predicted this when they chose the hotel, since sdac 15(?) was held at the same place with no complaints of the parking lot activity (that I know of). Therefore this made the drawbridge inn a sh!tty hotel.

What strikes me as odd on those type of posts is that nobody takes the time to direct an email or private message to me about what exactly was wrong with the motel.

I've not received a single complaint from anyone about their accommodations. There has been some discussion about the problem in the parking lot, but that doesn't reflect on the motel at all (only that initially they handled it poorly).

It had undergone a $2 million renovation the year before we got there, and I noticed that the carpeting and bedding in the room appeared to be fairly new. The rooms SDAC had were clean, I can't speak for others though. So what was the problem?

The rooms we had this last year were better than the rooms we had in 2005 when we were in the other wing, and nobody bad mouthed the motel then.

Barry

again see above post, you had no idea that they would come out and shut down the parking lot. This is really what made me form my opinion about this hotel.

jl93sundance
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
And I guess I was spoiled at my first SDAC (18) hotel wise:o

cordes
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
And I guess I was spoiled at my first SDAC (18) hotel wise:o

Don't forget that if parking lot antics are your thing, 18 had empty properties all around it. There was no one to complain.

At 17 the hotel manager kept picking me out as some sort of ring leader and asking if I would make guys move trailers because the truckers needed a place to park.

I have only been to 3 SDAC events thus far, but from what I have seen parking lots like at 18 are the exception rather than the norm.

ScottD
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Brian

For some people this is the only vacation they get during the year. And some bring their families. So yeah while you might be ok with a grungy Motel 6, not everybody is.

30 PSI SHADOW
01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
I was very pleased with the hotel at 19. No complaints. As far as the scratch outs, the staff just has to make other people thats not part of our group happy too(when necessary).That, and it IS outside of the "norm" LOL!

The hotel quality was fine for me, BUT if we happen to spend a bit more for an upgrade im not against it. The price is a nice thing too. ME? Im in the parking lot till 4 anyway, then up at 9 for coffee.

sdac guy
01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
...but it wasn't entirely the hotel itself, it was its staff that stopped all of the parking lot fun, which is a big part of sdac (imo), and then moved us to a dark corner of the parking lot. Nobody could've predicted this when they chose the hotel, since sdac 15(?) was held at the same place with no complaints of the parking lot activity (that I know of). Therefore this made the drawbridge inn a sh!tty hotel.

Well if that is your only complaint with the motel, pardon me if I disregard it entirely. The police department was there telling the motel they had a complaint from the apartments behind them and that the motel had to put a stop to the activity, which they then tried to do.

FTR, some motels have turned a blind eye to parking lot activities and some have not. Doing burnouts in a motel parking lot is NOT a right. It IS a dangerous, and in some places, illegal activity.

I think the first time we had "organized" burnouts was at SDAC-14, and as I told Mom Reeves and others at the time, as long as the motel doesn't complain then it is fine with me. But in 2005 at the Drawbridge, some folks got a little carried away and not only did burnouts but were flying through the parking lot where folks had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. The motel didn't know about it, but a number of our members came to me about the problem. I told those guys they would have to enforce some rules to control it, otherwise we would have to stop burnouts altogether.

At our events we have the makings for a disaster, plenty of beer and fast cars. We have been lucky to date that we have not had anyone injured.

Barry

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
...I think the first time we had "organized" burnouts was at SDAC-14,

I think 14 continued the tradition started at SDAC-12 with my car wash bucket and pool water :D *looks innocent* but as was said, that was a VERY forgiving hotel.

Cannot rate the quality of the hotel based on their care for patron safety, if so, any of them that openly tolerate burnouts would only get one star, apple, etc. by the general public

At our events we have the makings for a disaster, plenty of beer and fast cars. We have been lucky to date that we have not had anyone injured.

Agreed! There is a HUGE difference between a stationary smoke show in the water and a a car dragging locked rear tires across the lot.

Burnouts are fun, but we must all think of safety! :thumb:

168glhs1986
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
But in 2005 at the Drawbridge, some folks got a little carried away and not only did burnouts but were flying through the parking lot where folks had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit.

:wow1:

Force Fed Mopar
01-14-2010, 12:12 PM
So this is gonna be in Hagerstown MD for sure then?

slasky
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
No complaints from me. I had fun at all the SDACs I have ever been to. As long as I am at SDAC I would sleep in my car if I had to.

turboshad
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Sweet, that's only 2,302 miles instead of 2,319 miles to Gettysburg!! Save 17 miles? Damn rights I'm in :thumb:

PS. Last year was my first and I found the hotel fine and SDAC was awsome. It was good enough that I am seriously considering making the treck agian.

sdac guy
01-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Yes.

Barry

Aries_Turbo
01-14-2010, 01:25 PM
For some people this is the only vacation they get during the year. And some bring their families. So yeah while you might be ok with a grungy Motel 6, not everybody is.

so really the only person in a family you have to worry about is the wife... cause little kids dont care. :)

ME? Im in the parking lot till 4 anyway making Bucar get his passed out --- up and go to bed, then up at 9 for coffee.

Fixed that for you. :)

Brian

sdac guy
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
And I agree fully with that. :thumb: While some on here have said they didn't pay much attention to the rooms, I do. I like to go around in my stocking feet or even barefoot in my room when the day is done. If the carpeting is old or dirty, I don't do that. I like to sleep inside clean bedding. I do not like finding any hair of any type in the bathroom, either in the shower or on the sink or floor. It gives me the impression the room is not clean.

At the Drawbridge, as I said before, the carpeting was nearly new and clean. On the bedspread, there were no stains visible when I turned it back. It also appeared fairly new. I found the bathroom to be clean.

In recent history there are two motels we've used that stick out in my mind for not meeting these guidelines. And they were both part of the same national chain. The Days Inn for SDAC-16, and the Days Inn for SDAC-17. After those two experiences, we will try not to stay at a Days Inn again. Oh yeah, SDAC-10 was a Days Inn also, and that place was pretty bad.

Barry

22shelby
01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
u wont have to worry about me doing "scratch outs/ burn out.... tires cost to much.... i promis ill make it up at the track tho....

Force Fed Mopar
01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
So what kind of driving events are planned for this year? Road course? Or just dragstrip and cruise?

LaserXT1986
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the first time we had "organized" burnouts was at SDAC-14, and as I told Mom Reeves and others at the time, as long as the motel doesn't complain then it is fine with me.

I know at SDAC 13, during that Saturday the burnouts were going off. And the "spot" was perpendicular to the entrance of the hotel. I still chuckle when I think of Bruce Bender doing a burnout.....and (from inside the lobby point of view) all you see is....smoke wafting by. Like a passing cloud. Then, as the burnouts continued, this "cloud of smoke passing by" kept going on. For those in the hotel (guests and staff) who didn't know what was yet going on, the look on their faces was PRICELESS :lol::lol: You had to be there:thumb:

But in 2005 at the Drawbridge, some folks got a little carried away and not only did burnouts but were flying through the parking lot where folks had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit.

Barry (sarcasm mode on) I object!! Watch the video below. Joe *clearly* had time to move out of the way. And my opinion, he was jealous (thus his shaking his head) because he couldn't do as good a burnout with the same vehicle.

I was NOT flying through the parking lot (timed to be said, as the Cruiser comes flying around the bend screeching tires).

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13585&ppuser=2027

All kidding aside, yes, it was foolish....if burnouts take place this year, we need to ensure room....it's all fun and games until someone gets run over (and thus possibly preventing any future SDAC's from taking place).

Luckily I'm pretty much a teetotaler, so drinking + driving/doing burnouts won't be something that ever happens with me. But yes, lucky is an understatement. Truthfully, with how small the parking lot was at SDAC 17, I'm amazed no one got hit (people OR cars).

Looking forward to this years event, thanks for all the effort Barry & Craig :thumb::thumb:

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Looking forward to this years event, thanks for all the effort Barry & Craig :thumb::thumb:

+10000000000000000000000000000000

Here here! :thumb:

sdac guy
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Looking forward to this years event, thanks for all the effort Barry & Craig

+10000000000000000000000000000000

Here here! :thumb:Actually the majority of the work so far has been done by the SV-SDAC crew, namely, Denny, Scott, and Troy. I turned the day to day planning at our end over to Craig & Greg. I just get involved on final decisions and signing contracts.

So what kind of driving events are planned for this year? Road course? Or just dragstrip and cruise?
Road course is just TOO expensive. We are trying to get an autox going but if it happens it looks like it will be on the Saturday we start our event. The SCCA folks aren't interested in doing a weekday event for us. There is another thread about the autox (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45840).

Also, we will probably have another road rally event. This is getting more popular every year as the word spreads about how much fun it is. And the best part is that it is FREE to registered event attendees! People that didn't go on the one in PA at SDAC-17 really missed out, it was a blast. Last year's, which is called the "Roller Coaster Rally" by the rally master that designed it, was so good two people got sick to their stomach and had to stop to throw up (one guy multiple times).

Barry

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Actually the majority of the work so far has been done by the SV-SDAC crew, namely, Denny, Scott, and Troy. I turned the day to day planning at our end over to Craig & Greg. I just get involved on final decisions and signing contracts.

Yer too modest Barry, it takes someone to guide the herd!

But that being said, A big THANK YOU! to Craig, Greg and the SV-SDAC Crew! :clap:

turbojerk
01-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually the majority of the work so far has been done by the SV-SDAC crew, namely, Denny, Scott, and Troy. I turned the day to day planning at our end over to Craig & Greg. I just get involved on final decisions and signing contracts.

Barry

Thanks Mr. B!:thumb:

CrAzY Mark helped out quite a bit as well behind the scenes also!

Sgt Craig
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
and if not mistaken isnt there a drag strip right down the road from hagerstown, that doesnt seem to have anything planned for that weekend....

just say'n...

Mason Dixon Dragway,75-80 isnt far either or MIR. problem wiuth Mason Dixon is no drag racing at night and on Sundays no racing until after 10 or 11.There is a church at the end of the shut down area.75/80 would be a good choice.

dusterdude
01-14-2010, 10:03 PM
anybody heading there from somewere around ND.

85shelbycharger
01-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks Mr. B!:thumb:

CrAzY Mark helped out quite a bit as well behind the scenes also!

:hail::hail: Thanks guys for your hard work!

nmw2006
01-14-2010, 11:08 PM
+1 to having another Road Rally. I really enjoyed running (and winning :D) the one at SDAC-19 with my brother.

Really looking forward to SDAC-20. After last year, which was my first, I intend to attend many in the future. Not many places you can meet up with that amount of people all interested in the same subject.

BadAssPerformance
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Hopefully Warren Stramer will be :thumb:

sdac guy
01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Mason Dixon Dragway,75-80 isnt far either or MIR. problem wiuth Mason Dixon is no drag racing at night Mason Dixon replied to an inquiry and in their terms they quoted a price for night racing ...

Barry

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
+1 to having another Road Rally. I really enjoyed running (and winning :D) the one at SDAC-19 with my brother.

Really looking forward to SDAC-20. After last year, which was my first, I intend to attend many in the future. Not many places you can meet up with that amount of people all interested in the same subject.

Yeah, I liked the one at SDAC-17 (my first and [so far] only SDAC), it was pretty cool to ride around the city.

Guess I'll have to see about going again this year :D Money's tight still though, and I dunno if I'll have a car ready by then either. Maybe I'll just haul southern parts up in the truck for you northern guys to make my gas money :thumb::D

BadAssPerformance
01-15-2010, 09:54 AM
..... Maybe I'll just haul southern parts up in the truck for you northern guys to make my gas money :thumb::D

Thats the spirit :clap: or hitch a ride and chip in on gas with another local T-Mer :thumb:

turboshad
01-15-2010, 12:04 PM

If I can make it again, depending which way I go, I would be going through ND. Minot to Jamestown and then East. The other way would be to Winnepeg and then down to Fargo and then east.

dusterdude
01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
If I can make it again, depending which way I go, I would be going through ND. Minot to Jamestown and then East. The other way would be to Winnepeg and then down to Fargo and then east.

im in fargo haha and i would like to fallow someone there if u do go that way. ive never been to sdac or the east coast so who knows were i would end up haha. lmk.

ATaylorRacing
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
If the drag racing is at Mason-Dixon Dragway their web site is:
http://www.masondixondragway.com/
and they will have a regular bracket race on 6/26 with gates opening at 12 noon while 6/27 will be test and tune with the gates opening at 10am. Maybe old Matchbox and I can be there to make hotel money for SDAC!!!

If you enter your address and the track address at http://www.mapquest.com/
then keep zooming in with an aerial view you will actually be able to see a couple of cars going down the track and a couple on the return rd. Only 9 1/4 hrs from Kokomo, IN...or 567 miles...
at 23 mpg Matchbox will use about 24 gallons of regular gas weach way..about $80 one way... maybe I should take the Pit Bull (05 SRT4) that I won with at SDAC 19 last year....even though all its passes are now in the high 12s while they were mid 13s last year, the Pitt gets much better economy...our over 2500 mile FL trip in Nov saw 28 mpg at 80 mph!!! Of course I still have a twin fogger nitrous set up sitting on the bench that can be used to add anywhere from 50 to 300 hp....I figure with my set uo a 175 hp shot would be barely okay while 150 hp should be safe...and should see 11.0s out of the total wt of 3080 lbs with me in it. A darn quick time of 10.7s could be had if I thought I could get a total of 375 hp out of it, still not enough to best Reeves, Stowe, new Dad Bender, or numberous others...nah, heck, I am just a bracket racer and I haven't uased the stuff in over 2 years!
:love::eyebrows::clap:

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

Aries_Turbo
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
put a turbododge motor in the metro and bring that angelo! :) hehe

Brian

Sgt Craig
01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Mason Dixon replied to an inquiry and in their terms they quoted a price for night racing ...

Barry

Well having raced there alot and not ever racing there at night they must have changed things.That area is real strict on noise ordances.

Force Fed Mopar
01-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Thats the spirit :clap: or hitch a ride and chip in on gas with another local T-Mer :thumb:

Hehe, yeah that's what I did for SDAC-17, me and t3rse rode up w/ DodgeZ and hauled t3rse's GLH-T up, and we split the costs. But, I dunno if they are going this year either.

22shelby
01-16-2010, 01:37 PM
im in fargo haha and i would like to fallow someone there if u do go that way. ive never been to sdac or the east coast so who knows were i would end up haha. lmk.

haha real easy, Get yourself to 90 east and drive.....haha stop off in chicago and meet up w/ us, i think we're just following one another, eventually we'll get there.....

Murphy
01-18-2010, 02:40 PM
just catching up on this...

Is is bad that reading through this thread, I saw Cancun Cantina and thought "isn't that the place I got kicked out of?" ....it is. The location is pretty cool, nice sized parking lot out back. Best of all, its only maybe an hour drive from me.

Sgt Craig
01-18-2010, 07:17 PM
just catching up on this...

Is is bad that reading through this thread, I saw Cancun Cantina and thought "isn't that the place I got kicked out of?" ....it is. The location is pretty cool, nice sized parking lot out back. Best of all, its only maybe an hour drive from me.

The first weekend I spent with my wife many moons ago we went there.I also went there for a Halloween party.

22shelby
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
haha David allen coe is playing there!!! at the cancun cantina

dusterdude
01-18-2010, 11:53 PM
haha real easy, Get yourself to 90 east and drive.....haha stop off in chicago and meet up w/ us, i think we're just following one another, eventually we'll get there.....

sounds easy enough.

turboshad
01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I threw out driving to MD for SDAC in some casual conversation to the wife. She didn't even bat an eye and just said "Where is it this year?"

Phase 1 complete. :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I threw out driving to MD for SDAC in some casual conversation to the wife. She didn't even bat an eye and just said "Where is it this year?"

Phase 1 complete. :eyebrows:

Exxxxxcellent!

ScottD
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
If we did a dyno day as an SDAC event, would there be interest in doing that?

Interest to the effect you would pay in advance to do it (like you do with SDAC drags), not interest to the effect of you post yes here and then find a reason later to back out :-)

slasky
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I heard Frank Gazenburger might not be able to make it again this year. He has a haircut appointment in the middle of July so he is just going to be too busy.

Murphy
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
a dyno run would be cool depending on the cost. I might have to get my father to bring the VW Thing out just for laughs

1984rampage
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Anyone heading up from Florida? I'd love to go this year and travel with a few cars!

jl93sundance
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
If we did a dyno day as an SDAC event, would there be interest in doing that?

Interest to the effect you would pay in advance to do it (like you do with SDAC drags), not interest to the effect of you post yes here and then find a reason later to back out :-)

I would, depending on cost.

sdac guy
01-19-2010, 05:37 PM
I would, depending on cost.With the dyno day, we would collect in advance for it, but SDAC will not add anything to the fee (we're not looking to make anything on it).

If folks pay in advance for the day and we hold the event, and then they decide not to run their car, they better sell their spot to their buddy, because the dyno guy will get their money whether they run a car or not.

The only way the fees would be refundable is if we decide not to have a dyno day. And that decision would be based on whether we had enough folks sign up and pay for it in advance (pre-registration). Since we need to notify the guy prior to the event we will not be able to accept on site registration for it unless we arrange for a portable unit. In that case the payment rules may be changed a little.

Barry

JDAWG
01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
haha David allen coe is playing there!!! at the cancun cantina

He plays there every year, I have never seen so many rusty ford pickups and Harleys in the parking lot.

Cantoon is like a dance club, well it used to be, mostly bands there now. They have a outside so you can smoke and take your drinks out, well there is a bar outside too. Its spacious but gets packed. I wonder how burnouts will go though as there is security patroling the parking lot after dark. Also there is a restaurant called Barefoot Bernies in the same building, it reminds me of hooters, big bar, girls dont wear much, good food. There is a hibachi grill 1 building down thats good too. Sake anyone?

jl93sundance
01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
With the dyno day, we would collect in advance for it, but SDAC will not add anything to the fee (we're not looking to make anything on it).

If folks pay in advance for the day and we hold the event, and then they decide not to run their car, they better sell their spot to their buddy, because the dyno guy will get their money whether they run a car or not.

The only way the fees would be refundable is if we decide not to have a dyno day. And that decision would be based on whether we had enough folks sign up and pay for it in advance (pre-registration). Since we need to notify the guy prior to the event we will not be able to accept on site registration for it unless we arrange for a portable unit. In that case the payment rules may be changed a little.

Barry

What is the estimate cost going to be?

cordes
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Exxxxxcellent!

Sgt Craig
01-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Now to decide do i stay in Tawneytown or Mt airy for free.

22shelby
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
He plays there every year, I have never seen so many rusty ford pickups and Harleys in the parking lot.

Cantoon is like a dance club, well it used to be, mostly bands there now. They have a outside so you can smoke and take your drinks out, well there is a bar outside too. Its spacious but gets packed. I wonder how burnouts will go though as there is security patroling the parking lot after dark. Also there is a restaurant called Barefoot Bernies in the same building, it reminds me of hooters, big bar, girls dont wear much, good food. There is a hibachi grill 1 building down thats good too. Sake anyone?

ok ok but where are the strip clubs???

sdac guy
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
What is the estimate cost going to be?

Probably not more than $65 for 3 runs. And that quote was with wideband O2, without it, $45.

Barry

jl93sundance
01-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Probably not more than $65 for 3 runs. And that quote was with wideband O2, without it, $45.

Barry

Count me in if its going to be around that price range.

Sgt Craig
01-19-2010, 09:34 PM

Good question,only ones I ever been to around there are in DC or Charlestown.

Sgt Craig
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Count me in if its going to be around that price range.

Same here,without wideband.

Twisted Noodle
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I'll be coming up from South Alabama and running right through Knoxville. Anyone else going to be traveling the same path? Fuzz, MiniGTS, Mr. Dennis?

JDAWG
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

best bet is drive to martinsburg wv, about 20 mins away, then you have your choice of about 10 different ones, I usaully go to Vixens as my ex works there. Its cool just to sit there and talk then all her friends sit around and talk to ya too and dudes are like wtf? cause like 6 girls are just sittin there talkin to me. I guess she may be working then, her baby is due any day now loolollololol (not mine)

Aries_Turbo
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll be coming up from South Alabama

sweet!

Brian

30 PSI SHADOW
01-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Id be in for the Dyno. Makes a great day for monday, as you can tune for the drags on tuesday.

On another note, ive seen those remote dynos.Kinda like they did at carlisle a few years back. Be cool to have it in the parking lot! That way everyone can just hang "locally" and watch the fun.Or maybe combine that with a BBQ or something. Just throwing things out...

Force Fed Mopar
01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Anyone heading up from Florida? I'd love to go this year and travel with a few cars!

You might could meet up w/ me and DodgeZ (if he goes).

22shelby
01-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Good question,only ones I ever been to around there are in DC or Charlestown.

ok so your sain we need to bring the stripers to us...:D gotcha...
im sorry guys but i plan on having a blast, of course w/in guidlines, but still plan on being a bit nutty:eyebrows: ive got 2 bottles of jameson that will be coming down w/ me...

id be down to hop on a dyno, but cant give a deff answer yet... esp if its a travel dyno...

Force Fed Mopar
01-20-2010, 01:24 AM
So this hotel you guys picked out, how much is it gonna cost? And you say it's smoke-free and no dogs allowed, right?

22shelby
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
So this hotel you guys picked out, how much is it gonna cost? And you say it's smoke-free and no dogs allowed, right?

it sounds like its a smoke free state like IL just turned in '08. dont think u cansmoke ing the bars.... i dont plan on being in the room much, esp if im bunking up a few dudes... i normally dont bring my girl friend(s) to things like this... to much of s hassel....

leaves room for hager-h.... i meen hager-women....

Force Fed Mopar
01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
The smoke-thing doesn't really bother me much, I smoke but I can go w/o it just fine for the most part. The wife may be coming w/ me though, and she gets kinda antsy and grouchy w/o it :) And it'd be nice if we could bring one of our dogs. But, I doubt we'll spend very much time at all in the room anyway. Maybe we'll just bring a tent and an air mattress :D

GLHSHELBY
01-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Hehe, yeah that's what I did for SDAC-17, me and t3rse rode up w/ DodgeZ and hauled t3rse's GLH-T up, and we split the costs. But, I dunno if they are going this year either.

I might even try to come. I could be a desinated driver for the drinkers and possibly someones bodyquard,lol:eyebrows:

DodgeZ
01-20-2010, 02:24 AM
I might even try to come. I could be a desinated driver for the drinkers and possibly someones bodyquard,lol:eyebrows:

:lol::lol:

sdac guy
01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
So this hotel you guys picked out, how much is it gonna cost? And you say it's smoke-free and no dogs allowed, right?About $85 a night. We hope to release all motel info by the middle of February. We are still working on the schedule, and need that firmed up so folks will know what days to reserve their rooms for.

Barry

LaserXT1986
01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
With the dyno day, we would collect in advance for it, but SDAC will not add anything to the fee (we're not looking to make anything on it).

Barry,

Just a humble thought here.

Would it be something to consider, to do the same thing for other SDAC events, like the racing? I read in this thread how much it now costs and how SDAC barely breaks even with the drag racing. I also know that many track events (i.e., the Cecil County Mustang event back in November) required paying upfront. Would it pay to do that here to avoid SDAC incurring a loss?

I know SDAC is as much about the racing of cars as it is showing and driving, but it should never be to the level of taking a loss just so people can race -- not fair to you especially. As you mentioned above with the dyno, if people pay in advance and have to back out, they could "sell" their spot.

Would it benefit the club to require payment in advance to ensure we have enough people to drag race? Kinda like what happened (I believe) with the co-shared SDAC 16?

Again just a humble thought.... :)

Force Fed Mopar
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM

:lol: The BM ninja squad is on the prowl! :nod:

sdac guy
01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Barry,

Just a humble thought here.

Would it be something to consider, to do the same thing for other SDAC events, like the racing? I read in this thread how much it now costs and how SDAC barely breaks even with the drag racing. I also know that many track events (i.e., the Cecil County Mustang event back in November) required paying upfront. Would it pay to do that here to avoid SDAC incurring a loss?

I know SDAC is as much about the racing of cars as it is showing and driving, but it should never be to the level of taking a loss just so people can race -- not fair to you especially. As you mentioned above with the dyno, if people pay in advance and have to back out, they could "sell" their spot.

Would it benefit the club to require payment in advance to ensure we have enough people to drag race? Kinda like what happened (I believe) with the co-shared SDAC 16?

Again just a humble thought.... :)

I think you misunderstand my statement you quoted above, and a little about how we do things. For example the reason we barely break even on drag racing is that we have a set price we pay for the strip (in most cases). So we take our average number of drag racers and divide it into that cost and set the the fee price accordingly. The reasons we are close to not breaking even is not that we refund too many fees, but that not enough folks sign up period.

Requiring folks to pre-register would most likely hurt the event and not help it as 1/2 to 2/3 of the registrations for our event(s) is onsite.

As far as taking a loss so people can race, we don't do that as a practice. That is why we don't have road course events unless we get a super deal like we did at SDAC-18. If we get 2-3 years where the drag racing incurs a loss, we would consider cancelling that event entirely.

I certainly hope that day never comes as it would change the flavor of our event considerably.

And no, at SDAC-16 we didn't either require up front payment, nor share in ANY of the track costs for the event. The problem for us at SDAC-16, is that folks just don't come to Topeka KS for a vacation. :lol: We've learned our lesson there, 2 SDAC events in Topeka 10 years apart with the same lackluster turnout both times. That is one location we will not be going back to. :D

Barry

22shelby
01-20-2010, 09:49 AM
people like to vacation in chicago..... just say'n....

Force Fed Mopar
01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I prefer to vacation near or in some mountains... just sayin... :p :D

slasky
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I am sure some of the people come to SDAC to see the drag racing event. If we did not have it then I would bet SDAC attendance world go down. So just because the amount of money collected for drag racing does not equal what the event cost to run, I would not necessarily call it a loss. It is a part of SDAC just like the car show, hospitality night, and making fun of Frank.
In the end the only thing that matter is that the SDAC event, as a whole, is not a loss.

89FerrariShelby
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
If the car comes out this year, you can bet i'll be there!

I'd drag race...but no one wants to see a TD run an 18 sec 1/4 mile.... =P

sdac guy
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I am sure some of the people come to SDAC to see the drag racing event. If we did not have it then I would bet SDAC attendance world go down. So just because the amount of money collected for drag racing does not equal what the event cost to run, I would not necessarily call it a loss. It is a part of SDAC just like the car show, hospitality night, and making fun of Frank.
In the end the only thing that matter is that the SDAC event, as a whole, is not a loss.And just for understanding, I don't call it a loss if we only come up a couple hundred short. Technically it is short, but for the reason you pointed out, I call it a wash, or even. By the same token, SDAC-11 in Canada did not break even, but the loss was small enough that we considered it even.

But if we pay $3500 for a drag strip and only take in $2000-$2500, and that becomes a pattern, well that is a different thing and no amount of folks attending to watch the drag racing will make that up.

Ending up 50% or more short is exactly what happened with road course events early on. At SDAC-10 & 12, we spent $8-10K for the day and only got enough folks to participate to recover less than half those costs. So we don't do road courses any more unless we can get the track cheap (with insurance).

Barry

30 PSI SHADOW
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Requiring folks to pre-register would most likely hurt the event and not help it as 1/2 to 2/3 of the registrations for our event(s) is onsite.

If the club did a pre-register(like 4 months early), maybe do a 20% discount or something to stir it?

Be interesting to atleast try it, just to put that idea to test...

22shelby
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
im ready ill pay now what do i owe... my car will make the SDAC drag event no matter what.....

LaserXT1986
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
The reasons we are close to not breaking even is not that we refund too many fees, but that not enough folks sign up period.

I apologize if I misunderstood, and in no means was trying to dictate how things should be run (you know how much I have supported you publicly Barry!! :D )

I was only thinking more along the lines of "SDAC costs money, here's the events we can afford, if you want SDAC this year, prove it by paying in advance" (not in that harsh verbiage but you get the drift).

I say this only because it has become such a trend with our community to want want want and then, for one reason or another, back out. That's why before new products come out, people (i.e., Chris Wright with the swingvalves) required a set number of "advance purchases". Likewise, Frank got stuck with a boatload of hoodies for people that wanted them, until they were actually made....

Of course I back you no matter what, for all you have done for this hobby to make a memorable event each year is an enormous task, even with local club help. Thanking you barely covers it, I know (as do many others) your efforts are truly a labor of love. The burden, the bottom line, the end is, you are the one taking care of the numbers at the end of the day, even when it meant going into your own pocket. I just thought of the paying in advance idea to ensure costs are covered before on-site. If they can't make it, they either write it off as "for the good of SDAC/donation" or they sell their spot.

That said, I look forward to another exciting event this year! Barry, I will be in touch privately with you if you should need any items like I supplied last year, and also to discuss contributing to this year's door prizes again :D

sdac guy
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM

If the club did a pre-register(like 4 months early), maybe do a 20% discount or something to stir it?

Be interesting to at least try it, just to put that idea to test...Back to my statement above, if we say people must pre-register to attend it will only hurt the event. Think about it. Folks that don't know if they can attend until the last minute would not be ALLOWED to attend just because they didn't pre-register.

We offer a discount now for pre-registration, not 20% because we don't have that much margin built into our fees. Raising the overall fee probably wouldn't help attendance either.

And 4 months early?? We don't even have all our contracts in place in Feb (4 months prior to June). We normally open pre-registration as soon as all of our contracts and plans are in place and firmed up. That usually happens about April.

And my experience has been that when we open pre-registration that we get a dozen or so pre-regs mailed in immediately, and for the online pre-regs we will get 20-24 or so within the first couple weeks. The first 2-3 weeks of May and maybe into the first week of June, will be very slow, pre-regs will trickle in.

And then about the 2nd week of June the floodgates open and we will get about 65-70% of our pre-regs in the 2 weeks prior to the closing date of pre-registration (about 10 days before the event). It has pretty much followed that pattern every year since I have had the club (just over 10 years now).

The way we have been doing it the last couple years works out fine. We offer the best discount to SDAC members that pre-register. We offer a lesser discount to non-members that pre-register. And we do almost the same for onsite registrations. SDAC members get a discount and non-members pay the full fee.

Barry

sdac guy
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I apologize if I misunderstood .... Oh no need to apologize, none at all.

I was only thinking more along the lines of "SDAC costs money, here's the events we can afford, if you want SDAC this year, prove it by paying in advance" (not in that harsh verbiage but you get the drift). That's good in theory, but just isn't practical. As I said in the other post, the contracts get signed (and deposits placed) prior to pre-registration opening. For example, we don't know how much to charge for drag racing until we know how much (exactly) it will cost. And all the incidentals come out at the time of the contract. Someone said a couple years ago, well if you don't have the money ahead of time to hold the event, don't hold it. My answer to that, then we wouldn't have an event. We don't have that kind of cash laying around. This year, one of the motels we got contracts from asked for a $1500 deposit with the signed contract (never happened before). I laughed and told Craig & Greg, "Well we aren't going to stay there as we don't even have $1500 right now."

So to plan the event, we go out on a limb, hoping and expecting everything will be fine, and it usually is. We lost money at SDAC-16 because it was so poorly attended, but otherwise since SDAC-14 we've done well at each event.

The better attended, the better we do. SDAC-14 and 17 were down on attendance, but we still finished them in the profit column. SDAC-15, 18 and 19 were better attended and we made a little more money.

I just thought of the paying in advance idea to ensure costs are covered before on-site. If they can't make it, they either write it off as "for the good of SDAC/donation" or they sell their spot.
We've had a couple years where the pre-regs have been good enough that we've had enough money when we arrive on site to pay all our bills for the event. And then the on site registrations are the extra. But those years are the exception not the rule. And we have had a number of folks that have been unable to attend and donated their registration fees. It is not uncommon at all, and is much appreciated. :D

Barry

omnigoestohell
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I was very pleased with the hotel at 19. No complaints. As far as the scratch outs, the staff just has to make other people thats not part of our group happy too(when necessary).That, and it IS outside of the "norm" LOL!

The hotel quality was fine for me, BUT if we happen to spend a bit more for an upgrade im not against it. The price is a nice thing too. ME? Im in the parking lot till 4 anyway, then up at 9 for coffee.

...and back in your room at 4:30a waking me up looking for where you hid that other bottle of rum and mumbling complaints "something about your septum" ?? ...

Having only missed one or two SDACs since 1994 I have to say all the hotels have been pretty acceptable, probably the worst I can remember was that one year in Detroit where they were redoing the pool area and a couple broken windows were boarded up --- but the chicagoland "streaker" at that event made it all worthwhile and memorable, Bakes and I still break into laughter about that once every month or so, priceless.

I too would add myself to the list of willing to spend a couple bucks more if it meant something considerably nicer or if it meant my dog was allowed but obviously there are probably limited choices when it comes to parking space for our growing fleets of tow vehicles etc.

So far, personal faves:
Favorite parking lot: Memphis, (Pittsburgh a few years back was a close tie, mostly thanks to Alan)
Favorite hospitality: Brantford, Ontario
Favorite cruising: Detroit (the 1st one?) Where Bill Baker became an outlaw and Dave St Louis swore it was all stock. Rick, Ralph and I got a keg too, that helped with the memories. This was the Power Curve event too right?

Seth