PDA

View Full Version : Pickup tube installation

The S is Silent
05-26-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm putting together the engine for the charger right now. Actually, it's completely together with the transmission bolted to it, and I'm just mentally checking everything in my head. Everything checks out except for the oil pickup. Do the commonblock oil pickups use an o-ring of some sort? One didn't come with my pickup, so I didn't think to put one in.

Do I need some sort of o-ring on the pickup, or do I need to put some kind of sealer between the pickup and the pump? I can fix this quickly before I put the engine into the car with the engine suspended on the lift, or I can put it into the car and fix it then if need be. I'd just like to do this right so I'm not going back to fix a bunch of things after I get it running. I'd rather concentrate on real problems instead of ones I created for myself.

I'm just glad everything is coming together.

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, there is an O-ring for the pickup to oil pump, it should have come with the new oil pump or pickup. I like to use anerobic sealer between the block and oil pump, its not neccesary but I do it for piece of mind.

If you have the one piece oil pan gasket, you can do it with the engine in the car, if using the 3 piece, I would do it properly now.

The S is Silent
05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I got a new pump and a new pickup...but neither of them came with an o-ring. I already used anerobic sealer between the pump and the block...I was just wondering if it is necessary to put it between the pickup tube and pump.

I have the 4 piece gasket. The two end pieces and the rubber for the other two sides. I was told that this does not need any kind of RTV to seal properly...is this correct? Do I need to seal it at all, or does the clamping force work well enough?

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I got a new pump and a new pickup...but neither of them came with an o-ring. I already used anerobic sealer between the pump and the block...I was just wondering if it is necessary to put it between the pickup tube and pump.

I have the 4 piece gasket. The two end pieces and the rubber for the other two sides. I was told that this does not need any kind of RTV to seal properly...is this correct? Do I need to seal it at all, or does the clamping force work well enough?

They must have forgot to put it in the box, no sealer, just the o-ring.

I use RTV on the pan corners, where the 2 rubber pieces meet, also on the front and rear main caps and on the pan at the front and rear main caps. Light coat and let it tack, then install the pan.

The S is Silent
05-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks Simon.