PDA

View Full Version : Speed Sensor Change

BoostMonkey
05-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, I've needed a speed sensor in my 91 Spirit RT for quite some time and finally decided to get off my @$$ and do it. I went in to Jerry's the other day and they quoted my $55 for the sensor. :mad: Does this sound about right? I figured it'd be somewhere around $20-$25.

Anyways, I aint too familiar with this car and I don't have a set of the FSM's so if you could give me some tips on changing out the sensor (such as the location of the sensor? lol), that'd be great. Pics work wonders too!

Michael

86Shelby
05-27-2006, 01:08 AM
The speed sensor is on the passenger side of the trans. The extension housing where the intermesiate shaft goes in. Look at the top of that extension housing. It's held in with a 10mm bolt.

Clay
05-27-2006, 01:13 AM
a new one from mopar is going to run you 60+, so yeah, 55 sounds about right.

The S is Silent
05-27-2006, 01:53 AM
I got quoted about 60 on one yesterday, so it sounds like your price is dead on.

BoostMonkey
05-27-2006, 07:49 PM
When you say passenger's side of the trans, what do you mean? The tranny is lined up with the engine so I'd think front or back of trans? Sorry for the stupid question.

Whats the best method of going after it? Topside or bottom side? socket or wrench? I just pull the 10mm bolt and it should pop out correct? Thanks a million.

I believe I got quoted $55 for one, and around $60-$65 for another type all from the same place. Worth it to go for the more pricey one? Thanks.

Michael

The S is Silent
05-27-2006, 07:53 PM
It's in the rear of the engine bay. You're going to want to put the car up on jackstands to get at it from the bottom...and you're probably going to want to pull the axle to get more room...but that's just me.

I havn't looked at it from below yet, but it looks like you might need an extention to do it...or a deep 10 mm. Getting at it from above is going to be really hard, but it could be doable. I have a hybrid turbo with the TU header on mine, so that could be in the way.

BoostMonkey
05-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it...
I might also snap a picture of it and post it up to make sure it's the right part.
Can I get a speed sensor at a junkyard? I've heard the only difference between the RT specific sensors and other 2.2 sensors is the gear. Can't I swap the gear from my old one onto one I get from a jy?
What year and model would I tell the JY that I needed the speed sensor for? Thanks.

Michael