have been researching just about every coating imaginable since summer and

I just can't decide. I came to the conclusion that POR-15 or a similar paint is

not for me because I am not looking to strip all the paint off the under body

like they recommend. So that basically leaves me with rubberized

undercoating or bed liner. I am not to fond of rubberized undercoating for

certain reasons. I have seriously been thinking of bed liner because it drys

hard, and it can be tinted certain colors. My spirit is red so I thought it

would be cool to get it tinted red. So what would you guys use. And if you

were to do the bed liner would you do it red, or black?

Thanks,Cody.

turbo84voyager
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I used and like SEM ruberized paintable under coating on a lot of vehicles and it works very good. If you use undercoating just make sure its paintable. The non paintable never gets hard. I would just do black and use good undercoating. It also covers flaws better than most of the consumer bedliner products. Check with your local auto paint supplier, they tend to have better products for this than your local auto parts store.

I sprayed my entire interior and underbody of my shadow with SEM paintable undercoating before assembling the car. When it dried it was as hard as a rock and takes a lot to scratch it. If you want it to be red. spray it with this stuff and an hour later spray it with paint. I used to use this at the body shop to recreate the " chip guard" paint on the bottom of some vehicles and it worked great!

ATaylorRacing
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
The bedliner in colors is $$$$$, I just had a very rusted sub frame repaired on my Geo and wanted the best for the money preventetive coating. One of my former sponsors talked me into rubberized undercoating for the best measure for the money. The hard stuff tends to chip and crack, but if inspected yearly and touched up would work well. I wanted to go with body color bed liner butdecided against the greater cost. The rubberized under coat can be inspected every three years and should not have any peoblems until much later. I am planning on getting paint with a flex additive to paint the rubberized under coat.

ajakeski
01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I used this on the GLH

http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=MMM+8864

ATaylorRacing
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
That is what is now on the Geo.

Cody
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
That 3m body shultz looks like a good option. How hard is it once it drys? And it looks like the gun is around $60? BTW your GLH looks amazing.

turbo84voyager
01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Good paintable undercoating in an aersol can will work fine. I have seen the cheap stuff, chip, etc, but the more expensive stuff hold up fine. Perfect example is my grandmothers pontiac. I gave it a "chip guard" finish on the rockers 8 years ago. I used good quality paintable undercoating under the paint. It never chipped or cracked.