PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? Manual Valve body or upgraded Auto valve body?

87yorker
01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
So im trying to decide, Eather I can get a manual valve body for my A413 tranny, or Turbovanman can mod a auto valve body and keep the auto in it. What should I do? Its a daily driver, but manually shifting is not that big of deal. I'm trying to figgur out whats better for the life of the tranny or for nice firm shifts and not having tranny problems? What would you guys do?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Its up to you, are you lazy or not? if your lazy, then go with the modded vb, if you don't mind shifting, then go manual. Both setups are identical for wear.

87yorker
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Im neather lol. What ever one will work the best lol. What way will give me that more "shift kit" fill when it shifts or I shift?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Both set up, both the same.

I can chirp tires with my built auto, shifting by itself.

87yorker
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Thats cool!. So the Manual valve body is going to shift just as hard and firm as your built auto, and the only different between the two is one I myself have to shift, and the other it shifts? with the Manual VB do I need to block off the Accumulator valve and turn up the line PSI alittle?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Thats cool!. So the Manual valve body is going to shift just as hard and firm as your built auto, and the only different between the two is one I myself have to shift, and the other it shifts? with the Manual VB do I need to block off the Accumulator valve and turn up the line PSI alittle?

Yes, they shift firm, not sure if the manual can chirp tires but that's annoying anyway.

The manual bypass's the accumulator I believe and yes, you still need to turn up the line pressure, we've found out they are set on the low side.

87yorker
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok thanks for the info. It sounds like the MVB is the way to go. Do I need to change out that rod you were talking about so it dosent bend? How much for you to make a MVB? or can you?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes, still change the rear band strut, its easy to access once the vb is dropped.

I can do a Manual valve body but not a RMVB, they require a new casting.

87yorker
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
How much for a manual vb?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
How much for a manual vb?

Same price.

GLHNSLHT2
01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I was just thinking of this thread today driving my 87 Yorker. I wouldn't want a Manual VB with the column shifter, Maybe with a floor shifter it would be ok. But a built Auto with an Auto VB is going to shift just as hard and I can put it in drive and forget about it.

87yorker
01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Thats a good point! I think I will go that route. Is this something I could do? or should I just pay turbovanman to build me one?

mr glenn
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
hey Simon still looking for some info on that 92 trans that has the lockup plug the trans is in the car. Thanks

GLHNSLHT2
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
it's not that hard IMO to do the valve body and the reverse band strut thing. Just takes a little time and care following the directions. There's a kit and plenty of stuff on the web and hear about doing it. I have to rebuild my auto this spring/summer as it slips going into 3rd. But I think that's gonna involve clutches so it'll have to come totally out. I'm just hoping it'll make it through winter.

87yorker
01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Yeah. Im trying to decide if I want to do the upgrade or not.......

87yorker
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I have no clue to were even get the parts ect.

APalmer
01-05-2010, 09:24 PM
yorkie
Please check your PMs.
You should track down a spare '87+ valve body to work with, regardless.
Best - Andy

I have no clue to were even get the parts ect.

turbovanmanČ
01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
hey Simon still looking for some info on that 92 trans that has the lockup plug the trans is in the car. Thanks

Sorry, working on it, :o

1BADVAN
01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
i thought i would throw in my opinion
i love my RMVB and on 15 psi of boost it would chirp the tires shifting into 2nd at 45mph :)
It is more work to shift than an auto but you shift twice and then forget it until you come to a stop. Its great for racing from a roll as you don't have to wait for downshifts it just goes!

bfarroo
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm happy with the auto VB with the backyard upgrades in my spirit. The only thing I wish I would have done was swap the governor in the trans to deal with the quick shifts through the gears at slow acceleration. Also the trans requires a heavy foot to downshift which may be curable with a kick down adjustment.

87yorker
01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Im going to stick with the built Auto VB. and block the accumulator valve.

mr glenn
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm happy with the auto VB with the backyard upgrades in my spirit. The only thing I wish I would have done was swap the governor in the trans to deal with the quick shifts through the gears at slow acceleration. Also the trans requires a heavy foot to downshift which may be curable with a kick down adjustment.

does your spirit have lockup trans