PDA

View Full Version : a413 problem

boostinfreak
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
heres what i got.90 caravan le with 126,000 on it.i bought the van with a bad motor.it had been sitting for a while.i put a 2.2 out of a shelby daytona in it.took it for the first test drive and the trans would stick in 3rd at stops. i drove it for a day or so and that problem went away.been driving it for about 2 months or so with it working great,keep in mind i have the grainger valve set at 10psi till i put on an intercooler.well recently it has starting feeling like it is trying to kick out of gear at the top end of first and second.kinda hard to explain,the rpms rev and the trans seems to slip. anyone have any suggestions of what could cause it? i just put another valve body in it today that has a mopar performance shift kit in it and the problems still there. the one thing i havent done is adjust the bands.that is next on my list. do i need to clean/replace the governor?? please help....

turbo van go
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
i have same prob with 89 voyager. stock trans daily driver. more than stock boost. thing shifts like crap when you floor it. a friend is going to help me adjust the bands when he gets around to it. i think its the extra boost on a higher milage trans. mine was probably never serviced to much in the first 135000 miles. but let me know your out come after the bands r adjusted.

turbo van go
01-02-2010, 10:58 PM
:bump2:

DBB mini
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
You probably have trash stuck in your governor pistons. Line pressure will allow the upshift, but will try to take off in 3rd after a stop. Remove the governor, clean out the pistons, install a sonnax governor spring kit.

DBB mini
01-02-2010, 11:51 PM
You're probably due a rebuild very soon too.

MILKCARTON
01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Can this be done by just removing the vb to get to it? Also where can you get the kit from?

boostinfreak
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
ok,so we pulled the pan and valvebody today and did an air check on the trans,found that the forward clutch has a bad leak.so i guess it is time for a rebuild.time to order the sonnax governor kit and a master rebuild kit.gonna build it at work.

My96z
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I just went through that. Good luck with it. Make sure you do the diff retainer kit while your in there.

boostinfreak
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
what is the diff retainer kit??? i am not building a race van by anymeans,it only has 10psi and doesnt get raced.is it necessary??where do i get it?it's primary goal is to transport my 230lb mastiff..haha.i may mess around a little in it by i have a mustang for racing..

DBB mini
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Yes it's absolutely necessary! Mine went out on the stock boost and took out the case with it. Ouch!! I got mine from the dealer.:thumb:

DBB mini
01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Can this be done by just removing the vb to get to it? Also where can you get the kit from?

Yes it can be done by dropping the vb to get to it. I forgot where I got it from, an online search should net you an answer. I ordered it online from somewhere, just too lazy to dig out my receipt...:p

turbovanmanČ
01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
When you have it apart, do the valve body mods, Sonnax governor kit and rear band strut-the STRUT is mandatory, tighten up the clutch packs, put a 5 pinion front planetary and block off the accumulator. Then you can do the line pressure mod and not change your shift points much.

boostinfreak
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
i already have a mopar performance shift kit in the valvebody.i will look into the other suggestions.

My96z
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I got my diff retainer kit from Transtar. It was like $125 for it. It comes with the retainers, new pinion shaft, shims and new spider gears.

boostinfreak
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
cool,i will have to check that out.thanks

i want to say that the rebuild kit i am looking at it from transtar also.i priced it thru the dealer and that is who they called..i think. about $120.00 for a master kit with steels and all..