PDA

View Full Version : Very Sad News

sdac guy
12-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I learned last evening that Bill Gamalski died yesterday afternoon in an auto accident.

There are not many details about it available as yet, and as I get them I will forward them. I was going to hold off on this notice until more details are out, but there really isn't any point in doing that.

Bill was a long time member of SDAC, and one of the founding members of the SDAC Great Lakes Chapter in 1994. He was a guy that was always eager to lend someone a hand.

Rest In Peace Bill, you will be missed.

Barry

blk86trbo
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Ah man that's never good to hear, especially around the holidays. Rest in peace Bill.

glhs727
12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Our prayers go out to his family. Bill was a great guy to know, always happy, always friendly, always willing to help. He will be sorely missed!
later,
Cindy

JamesL
12-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Bill, you were always a friend ready to help anyone in a jam. You will be missed. Rest in peace and our prays go out to your family.

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Definitely sad news, Bill was a good guy and will be missed. Some of you may remember Bill from the SDAC events especially those when we had the chapter challenge as he headed up the GL car. Others may remember him driving his carbed GLH ITB Omni setting the pace around the road course, and many will remember him lending a hand in the pits or SDAC event parking lot.

Rest in peace Bill! My sincere condolences to his family and friends!

minigts
12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Anyone have a picture of Bill? I can't seem to remember what he looks like. :$

CNH320
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I dont have a pic of Bill but here he is during SDAC-18 at Waterford Hills in his N/A GLH. He was my instructor during my first roadcourse event. Rest in Peace Bill, you will be missed.

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/SuperK_85/IMG_4093.jpg

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/SuperK_85/IMG_4096.jpg

sdac guy
12-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone have a picture of Bill? I can't seem to remember what he looks like. :$

http://www.sdac.org/misc/Bill.jpg

At the SDAC conventions, Bill frequently was found set up in the swap meets at the car show and drag racing. Besides his parts, he often sold K&N filters also (for a friend).

Barry

DC Turismo
12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I dealt a lot with Bill over the years. He was a great guy to work with and was fun to be around. Him and his family are in my prayers. :(

Pat
12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
That's terrible...RIP Bill.

Mike M
12-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't have known who he was until I saw the picture, I somewhat met him at SDAC-19, giving me a long-winded speech about the setup in my Lancer. RIP Bill!

minigts
12-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't have known who he was until I saw the picture, I somewhat met him at SDAC-19, giving me a long-winded speech about the setup in my Lancer. RIP Bill!

rofl I REMEMBER THAT!

Chris W
12-24-2009, 05:44 PM
When I first saw this post I didn't want to believe who it was. I even PM'd Barry in hopes that I misread it.

Bill was one of the nicest and happiest guys at SDAC. His laughter could always be heard through the engines and voices at the events. At the last SDAC Car Show Bill approached Johnny and I as we were packing up. He jumped right in to help without even hesitating. Bill came back a few minutes later and handed us each a sheet of paper covered in a plastic protector. He had stumbled across some original "Shelby" Letterhead from back in the Dodge Days and wanted to share them with us. I am sure that there are many others who could share similar stories and experiences with Bill. He will be truly missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones especially at this time.

Rest in Peace Bill....

Chris-TU

PS- Barry, is there anything we can do for his Family? Do you have a way we can get something to them?

turbo2point2
12-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Sad news indeed. RIP Bill.

bradp
12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Wow, I met Bill in Indy at SDAC 8 when he wrecked his GLH and sold him a grille and headlight bezels. He was definately the story teller and will be missed!!!!Godspeed my friend

sdac guy
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
PS- Barry, is there anything we can do for his Family? Do you have a way we can get something to them? Bill is survived by his wife and two sons.

SDAC will be sending flowers, but we are not soliciting for a flower fund.

Anyone wanting to donate to his family can send it to SDAC via the following link. I will see to it that his wife gets any donations sent, along with a list of names of those donating.

Here is the link for miscellaneous payments to SDAC (http://www.sdac.org/ffpymnt/paypal.htm).

Barry

sdac guy
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow, I met Bill in Indy at SDAC 8 when he wrecked his GLH and sold him a grille and headlight bezels. He was definately the story teller and will be missed!!!!Godspeed my friendOh yeah, I remember that "off". Bill pulled the fender away from the tire, but left it wrinkled for a while. With a paint brush Bill painted "Ouch" on the front fender and for a few years his car was simply known as the Ouch car. :lol:

Barry

turbojerk
12-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Sad news indeed!

Very nice fella and I talked with him a number of times at SDAC-18/19 and even bought some parts.

Prayers to his family in this tough time.

Rest in peace Bill. You will be missed!

Chris W
12-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Bill is survived by his wife and two sons.

SDAC will be sending flowers, but we are not soliciting for a flower fund.

Anyone wanting to donate to his family can send it to SDAC via the following link. I will see to it that his wife gets any donations sent, along with a list of names of those donating.

Here is the link for miscellaneous payments to SDAC (http://www.sdac.org/ffpymnt/paypal.htm).

Barry

SENT!! Thanks Barry!!

Chris-TU

BadAssPerformance
12-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that "off". Bill pulled the fender away from the tire, but left it wrinkled for a while. With a paint brush Bill painted "Ouch" on the front fender and for a few years his car was simply known as the Ouch car. :lol:

Barry

I was there and remember that! Bill always had a good sense of humor about stuff like that, like awarding me the "Golden Rod" award after I windowed the block at Topeka :o Great guy, missing him already! :(

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/carnage/06_kaboom/goldenrod.jpg

contraption22
12-24-2009, 08:32 PM
RIP Bill. My sympathies to the his family.

pokadot1
12-24-2009, 08:34 PM
RIP Bill
If you never met Bill you missed a great person, Always happy and willing to help anybody, anytime. I remember road racing at SDAC 8? in mich.s waterford hills road course. I had a T2 car. I think it was the CSX 4dr Clone but anyway, He was in his the ouch GLH before he ouched it, and he passes me going on the back straight, ARG... I swear I can still hear him laughing as he went bye waving and sliding around the turns.... but still out running my T2.
My friend I will miss you.
Cliff Sebring

ScottD
12-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Wow that's terrible news. My thoughts go out to his family. I will miss seeing his always interesting collection of parts for sale at the SDAC swap meet.

Turbo3Iroc
12-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I always enjoied his stories. Somtetimes wacky but always very entertaining. A real asset to our community. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed.

junior92
12-25-2009, 12:15 AM
my thoughts go out to his family. bill you will be missed

ATaylorRacing
12-25-2009, 12:52 AM
R I P Bill..........
I would remember his laughing and joking at every SDAC event that I saw him attend. He took one quick look at the 2.5 motor that was put into Matchbox and immediately knew what year it was.

Any one remember the crazy funny toy racer dude that would shake and shift gears while doing car engine noises? Bill was having a GRAND time letting the toy driver run through the gears.

He was the carb guy king.

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

NeonShowCar
12-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Very sad news - my thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this time. Especially more difficult around the holidays. Bill will be missed.

-Garry

GLHSKEN
12-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Bill will be missed by many. Thankful for the opportunity to hang out with him quite a bit this year at SDAC RIP Bill...

badandy
12-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Bill will be missed by many. Thankful for the opportunity to hang out with him quite a bit this year at SDAC RIP Bill...
I was just thinking how he was around us quite a bit wasn't he Ken? He kept graciously asking for beer out of the cooler and Ken kept saying "Bill your my friend...you don't have to ask just help yourself"...sure enough a litle later Bill needed another beer and asks Ken "Do you guys mind if I get another beer"...:lol:

Very electric/comical guy...definitely had a presence about him. RIP Bill.

dodgeshadowchik
12-25-2009, 11:21 AM
This is terrible news, indeed.... He was always so happy, funny and helpful in the few times i've met him.... he will be missed! I wish the best for his family in this tough time.

Pat
12-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Just this week, I was cleaning out the garage and found two stickers from Waterford Hills from when I ran it there at SDAC 18. It wasn't until this morning that I remembered that Bill had taken a bunch of the stickers and walked around in the hotel lot that night giving stickers to everyone that ran the road course.

I also remembered desperately trying to find a hose clamp at SDAC 12 to button up the fuel system on my GLHS. Bill, who I had never met before this, dug around in his Omni and sure enough, had a clamp to get me up and running.

He was a good guy the few times I met him....such a shame he's passed.

85shelbycharger
12-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Rest in peace Bill. It was a pleasure getting to speak with and hang out with you at the past several SDAC conventions. You and the family will be in my prayers.

cordes
12-25-2009, 05:39 PM
That is very sad news. I spoke with him quite a bit at 18, and talked to him out at the Dream Cruise a time or two. I will miss seeing him around.

shelbyconcepts
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
When I heard Bill Gamalski passed away I was just taken back. I joined the Shelby Dodge Club in 1998 and one of my first memories of Bill was when he invited me over to his old house to get a part for my Lebaron (K-car). When I got there, I realized that he had a MAJOR car addition. At the time I had no idea how much of an addiction he had but the Maserati motor in his kitchen should have been a clue? Hum… As I got to hang out with him I learned a lot. Sometimes more than I really needed to know. LOL He had the knack for talking to people everywhere he went. It was cool and scary all at the same time. He was a walking encyclopedia of Shelby Dodge information.

In 2001-2002 Bill became the VP of the SDAC Great Lakes Chapter with a lot of discussion we decided to build a chapter car. Craig St. Pierre donated the car and Bill provided a place to work. I was so surprised Bill’s wife Marra and the neighbors didn’t complain for dragging that POS into his driveway. With tons of donated parts and help we created a piece of SDAC history. The car was successful even though it wasn’t the fastest. It was cool building a car with a group.

Bill was always active with Waterford Hills Raceway as well. Nate Greer called me up one day and asked if I wanted to race with the Neon club. I didn’t have a car to race but Randy Salk borrowed me one that he and Bill built just for track days. Bill stuffed me in the driver’s seat and showed me the line of the track. As we made it around the track I found the curbs quickly and I “mama I was go’n fast”. Well maybe not as fast as Bill but fast. Speaking of that, at SDAC 18 Bill gave Holly Vogelsong a ride in his Omni. You should have seen her face! LOL.

Another one of Bill’s favorite events was the Mopar Nats. Every year Bill and Gary Lorenz set up on the manufactures midway next to the SDAC tent. Joe Yurgaites, Craig St. Pierre and I would always wander around the swap meet trying to find things before Bill. LOL.. Bill had a blood hound’s nose finding NOS parts. No matter what event we attended, Bill always seemed to find the best deals.

One last one…About two years ago a friend called me and said he thought he found the old DC Shadow (Yellowbird) sitting in a lot at CTC. The bad part is it was scheduled to be scrapped at 8am the next morning. Apparently, someone at the museum decided it wasn’t worth keeping and since it didn’t run. I called a couple buddy’s up at Chrysler and sure enough it was the car. I called everyone I knew at Chrysler trying to save the car with no luck. Then I called Bill to see if we someone that he might could help us. Believe it or not, Bill made it all the way up to the Director of Mopar Performance David Hakim. We were told that it would be saved but alas the scrap truck came early and we missed it. It was the one that got away but I was really impressed that Bill made it that far!

I’m going to miss Bill…Good bye my friend…Hope your making laps around the race track in heaven….

Life is short gents… I’m happy Bill was a part of my life and I’m happy to be part of the Shelby Dodge Family

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/shelbyconcepts/Bill/1.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/shelbyconcepts/Bill/2.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/shelbyconcepts/Bill/3.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/shelbyconcepts/Bill/4.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/shelbyconcepts/Bill/5.jpg

Bill being Bill....LOL....

Tim

ShelbyZ
12-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Truly sad news for his family and everyone that knew Bill. He will be missed by everyone.....

Thoughts and prays to his family,
John Rivait

ohiorob
12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I will surely miss shooting the breeze with Bill. he was a very sociable guy.

30 PSI SHADOW
12-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I’m going to miss Bill…Good bye my friend…Hope your making laps around the race track in heaven….

Life is short gents… I’m happy Bill was a part of my life and I’m happy to be part of the Shelby Dodge Family

AMEN! Im in shock. Ive known bill since the day i came to this group, SDAC 5 to be exact. If there is anyone in the club that deserves the "Spirit of SDAC" award, it was Bill. You will be missed my friend!

from this day on, there always be something missing during future SDACs, or any time else for that matter..............................

minigts
12-26-2009, 01:56 PM
After talking to Ken today, we were discussing how Bill was the kind of person who made the SDAC events what they were if you got a chance to meet him. I didn't get a chance to really know him, but was around for the conversations of him with others who knew him better. An asset that will be missed and something to think about as we attend other events, especially SDAC. I didn't get a chance to meet everyone, but I would like to spend more time meeting with others so we don't miss out on meeting people like Bill. Hopefully we can all keep this in mind in the future. :thumb:

sdac guy
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
We've had numerous donations to the Bill Gamalski Memorial Fund. And we will still accept them through tomorrow, Sunday 12/27. If you care to donate, you can use this link to make your donation through the SDAC website using PayPal.
Donate to Bill Gamalski Fund (http://www.sdac.org/ffpymnt/paypal.htm)

We will give the family a check representing the total amount donated, and a list of names (and addresses) of the folks donating.

If you would like to contact his family privately, here is their mailing address:

The Gamalski Family
7258 Redmond St.
Waterford MI 48327

Here's a link to Bill's obituary that the funeral home has on their website. It states viewing will be tomorrow (Sunday, 12/27) from noon till 9pm.

Funeral Home notice (http://www.lynchfuneraldirectors.com/death_notice.aspx?Operation=preview&noticeid=1469) for Bill.

Barry

minigts
12-26-2009, 06:01 PM
These are some photos of Bill at SDAC 18. Now I wish I had more. :(

http://www.minigts.com/SDAC/

bradp
12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Here's mine from SDAC 18, I'll see if I have any of 7 & 8

Heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TonRfkgC0NA

Twisted Noodle
12-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I was shocked to learn this. Bill was one of my roommates at SDAC-19. He was a great guy and just from following him around all weekend I had learned a lot from him. In the end he gave me some Original OEM decals, "lancer" mud flaps, and a radio to replace the one that didn't work in my SL. He was a great guy. My other roommate broke his Spirit R/T and Bill worked with him as long as it took to get the job done. Here is the pic...

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv181/TwistedNoodle_1/SDAC-19/SDC10294.jpg

There is Bill crouched down behind the tool box, "supervising".

He will be missed..

sdac guy
12-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Bill & I drove down together to Cinci for SDAC-19. We got to the motel without incident, but when I got my truck around to the parking area, I couldn't get it to go into Park. The lot there was not level and I turned the truck off without thinking. But then I had to sit there with my foot on the brake to keep it from rolling backwards (parking brake rusted up years ago). Without the engine running I lost vacuum and it took pretty good pedal pressure to keep it from rolling.

Bill was still checking in but I knew he would be by there in a few minutes. So I sat there holding the truck in place. When he drove around I told him what happened and asked if he had anything in his truck to block the wheels. He had a chunk of 4x4 that he put behind the rear tire.

We popped the hood and he saw the problem immediately. A shield on my exhaust slid down and the trans linkage was hitting it, keeping it from moving far enough to go into Park.

We let it cool for a bit and he got a blanket to lay on and a big screwdriver to pry with and in less than 5 minutes he had the pesky shield off and the gear shift lever moved like new. That was so typical of Bill, absolutely eager to help! :thumb:

Barry

DC Turismo
12-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Just wanted to post an idea I thought about today...

Seeing that Bill helped so many individuals at these SDAC events over the years and was very spirited in his sharing of knowledge and stories, perhaps an OFFICIAL Spirit award can be created in his name to serve as a reminder of how often he provided a lending hand without hesitation and lightened the mood with his character. In this way, he will still live on at our SDAC events. I think it would be a nice honor/commemoration of his dedication to the hobby/people within it.

I don't know if it'd be in the cards or not, but just a thought...

sdac guy
12-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Seeing that Bill helped so many individuals at these SDAC events over the years and was very spirited in his sharing of knowledge and stories, perhaps an OFFICIAL Spirit award can be created in his name to serve as a reminder of how often he provided a lending hand without hesitation and lightened the mood with his character. In this way, he will still live on at our SDAC events. I think it would be a nice honor/commemoration of his dedication to the hobby/people within it.

PM sent Billy.

Barry

Juggy
12-27-2009, 08:56 AM

good idea!!

RIP bill! enjoy your stay in shelby heaven :amen:

CNH320
12-27-2009, 10:43 AM

That's a great idea Billy.

Barry let me know if there is something i can do to help with setting something up if needed.

Chris

CS2GO
12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
A great loss to the TD Community. When I first met him back at the Big Boy meetings on Woodward, I'll never forget the "Intercooled" turbo New Yorker he was driving. It was probably the only Intercooled New Yorker in the mid 90's. His enthusiasm was contagious and his help through the years goes without saying. My thoughts and prayers go out to Bill and his family.

Dan B

sdac guy
12-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Just an update, the fund we ran for donations to Bill's family is now closed. I went to the viewing at the funeral home yesterday at which we received a few more donations to the fund, and then the last one via paypal came in about 10pm last night. We raised $960 for Bill's family.

There was a good turnout of folks for the viewing yesterday, but bad weather and car troubles prevented me from attending the funeral today (about an 80 mile round trip).

Barry

tsiconquest88
12-28-2009, 11:49 PM
wow, never met him, but it always sucks to see that someone has passed away. RIP Bill.

Johnny
12-29-2009, 01:00 AM
I was away for a few days and then this site was down...I just saw this thread.
This is a shock and so sad. He was a strange guy, and a great guy! Was always
good to talk with him. He will be missed a lot.

Johnny

Reeves
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
from this day on, there always be something missing during future SDACs, or any time else for that matter..............................

2nd that

I will surely miss shooting the breeze with Bill. he was a very sociable guy.

2nd that

Bill and I always had a great relationship. He liked to hear about my drag racing stories and I always liked to listen to his road racing stories. Years and years ago he handed me an oil pan baffle kit that he had made for me. Just out of the blue. That really caught me off guard and we became great friends. Then about 5 years ago or so he told me that he needed to find me a better steering wheel, as mine was all weathered. Sure enough, at either the very next SDAC event, or the next Mopar Nats, he handed me a red L-body steering wheel that was like brand new!

At SDAC 18, I busted an axle on my first pass at Milan. We busted (3) 1/2" breaker bars trying to get the axle nut loose. Bill came thru, saw us struggling, knew we were running short on time as Quick 8 qualifying was already on there 2nd round, and ran over to his truck and got a air impact. Then he helped us limp the car over to the track air, rig up the impact, and finally get the axle nut loose.

At SDAC 19 this year, Bill told me he was looking for set of 4 lug wheels for a van project he was working on. I was looking at a turbo G-head he had. We dug the 4-lug swiss cheese wheels I was hording out of our barn and I swapped them to Bill for the g-head.

At Mopar Nats this year, I stripped the teeth off my oil pump and intermediate shaft during a burnout in qualifying. Bill already knew what engines were where in the swap meet and helped us go pick one out after haggling the price down. We took it back to the pits, stripped it down, took out the needed intermediate shaft, put in another pump, and got my car back on the track. I gave the rest of the engine to Bill for his generosity!

I really loved Bill and will miss him dearly.

I was away for a few days and then this site was down...I just saw this thread.
Johnny

Same here....

J&G_BlueGLH
12-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I havent been on in a few days, and just read this.. I am soo sorry to hear of the news. Greg and I got to meet Bill out at SDAC 19 this year and bought a few parts off of him.. he was a unique guy, but was very friendly and nice to deal with. He will definitely be missed. Thoughts and prayers extended to the family during this difficult time.

Turbodave
12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I've been offline for a few days but got a call from JT on Christmas eve with the news of Bill's passing. Sad news indeed and I my condolences go out to his family and friends.

SDAC-20 is going to feel a bit off without Bill there, seems like he was always the first person I ran into whenever showing up at SDAC. Putting a car up on jacks in the parking lot was like the "Bill Signal"; guaranteed that he'd be over in short order to make sure you had the appropriate tool/part to get back on the road. He always had a story for you, whether you had the time to hear it or not.

Bill is one of the few guys who probably has more parts than I do, and it was always a personal goal of mine to find the better deal in the Mopar Nats swap meet before Bill could get to it. I was never successful in that, and inevitably I would end up picking through the stuff Bill didn't want along with everyone else. I'm going to miss the friendly competition.

Barry, I have a few ideas for SDAC-20 in honor of Bill and will talk to you later about them.

BadFastGTC
12-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Barry and All,

I read this original notice, read all the well wishes and remembrances of Bill and just thought to myself how everyone is right on about Bill. I recall helping out Steve Calder working on Nick K.'s car, I think in Chicago? Bill just jumped right in and practically took over. Bill always asked me how Sledgehammer was running, even when it wasn't running well. He wanted the common block 2.0 crank I bought in a bad way! Dave T. is right about the stories Bill always had. You were going to hear them whether or not you had time! You made time for Bill, you knew the story would be a humorous one in the end. So my message is to God, if you get tired of Bill's stories, send him back, we need guys like that here. R.I.P. & Godspeed Bill.

I learned last evening that Bill Gamalski died yesterday afternoon in an auto accident.

There are not many details about it available as yet, and as I get them I will forward them. I was going to hold off on this notice until more details are out, but there really isn't any point in doing that.

Bill was a long time member of SDAC, and one of the founding members of the SDAC Great Lakes Chapter in 1994. He was a guy that was always eager to lend someone a hand.

Rest In Peace Bill, you will be missed.

Barry

dodgeman87
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Bill will be missed by many. Always willing to help anybody, answer questions, give advice, or even get under your car and get dirty. And boy could he come up with the parts if you needed something. When Reeves broke his oil pump shaft last year Bill was there with one at the Mopar Nats. When Clark broke his shaft on his Spirit RT, Bill was there again helping him at SDAC.
I am happy I got to know Bill. He made you laugh and enjoy life. At the last SDAC I offered him a room on the last night of SDAC. He will be missed.
Bill, will see ya at the big swap meet in heaven !!

Jim

J&H Ryan
12-31-2009, 01:38 AM
I couldn't put a face to the name at first, but once I did, wow... Definitely a positive presence, talked with him at '19 and GL meets previously. RIP and thoughts to his family.

turbovanman²
12-31-2009, 02:12 AM
RIP. I am so glad I met him at Topeka. So sad, :(

BadAssPerformance
12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Oh Oh Oooh! Here's a few pics of Bill at Topeka. Sorry for the crappy camera!

jonnyb
12-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Yup - definitely a huge loss to this community.

Here's my last good memory of Bill:

At SDAC this year, I got an early call from Bill Baker in a panic. He told me that he locked the doors on his rampage before he went to bed, and now both door locks seemed to have stopped working and he couldn't get into the car. I went down to the parking lot and sure enough, you turned the key in the lock and nothing happened (both doors!). We spent about an hour trying to use antennas, coat hangers, anything we could find to try to slide in the window and unlock the doors. Then Bill G. comes over and with his usual smile and asks, "What's the problem?". Baker tells him the problem and then shows him how when you turn the key in the door lock, nothing happens. Well, Bill G. grabs the key, sticks it into the drivers side lock and turns it, and bingo - the lock turns and the door is unlocked! Then he proceeds to turn the key the other way and the door locks. We all freak out and go "whoah, whoah...don't lock it - what if it doesn't unlock!" With his usual Bill smile, he turns the key again and unlocks the door. Then he walks over to the passenger door and unlocks that side with the key too!!! Baker, myself and several other people tried and tried to lock/unlock the door with the key after that, and not one of us could do it.

To this day I'm not sure how the heck he did it, but I have to say that really left an impression on me about how talented Bill could be when it came to cars.

RIP Bill - your talent, willingness to help and endless stories will be missed.

Jon

sdac guy
12-31-2009, 12:53 PM
That's a good story of Bill, Jon. It reminded me of Bill at SDAC-13. After the car show & swap on Sunday, the Great Lakes chapter crew was sitting there waiting for folks to leave the lot, and for the vendors to tear down their set-ups so we could do a final clean up of the lot before we left.

While we sat there we spotted Bill digging through one of the trash barrels out in the middle of the lot. He had a small pile of things set off to the side that he was saving from the trash. We laughed at him (making fun of him) and even took a couple pics of him sifting through the trash. Bill spotted us, waved, and went about what he was doing.

On drag day the GL crew was getting the Chapter Challenge car ready and it wasn't running right. Bill found the problem, went over to his truck, got a couple things and fixed the problem with the vacuum harness. After the car was right, he looked at all the GL guys and said, "Yeah, the part to fix it came off the harness I dug out of the trash barrel." He was nice and gracious about it, and didn't really say it to set anyone straight, but that was the exact result. We didn't laugh anymore about him dumpster diving as he saved our butts that day!

Barry

Aries_Turbo
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
i just saw this now. how sad. i remember seeing him and chatting with him over the years at SDAC's and i just last year got his name straight in my mind (takes me a while to get names straight sometimes) and now this.... total bummer for both me and everyone else.

Brian

30 PSI SHADOW
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
that door lock "incident" was very strange.. Even more for bill to be hanging out in the darkness at midnite LOL! He was always there! tuned out to be a combination of worn out plastic and a sticky lock.
Thanks again to Bill, you wont be forgotten...

Gaboon
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I haven't been around much lately and just saw this very sad news.

Bill would talk your ear off any evening in the parking lot until all hours of the morning at SDAC events.

Things definitely won't be the same without him.

My prayers to his family.

Joey

2.216VTurbo
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I wish that I had a Bill story to retell here, he was always around SDAC with the late night crowd and I think he was one of the guys with enough stones to pick up the lit incendiary devices that were launched (good naturedly of course:D) at his crowd and throw them back at us:rockon:. All I can really recall is that he was the guy that was always smiling, and talking, and laughing, and talking;)...

Count me in for whatever you need to make the 'spirit of' award or memorial you come up with at this years event Barry.:amen:

sdac guy
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I've had some inquiries as to "what really happened" and I thought I had posted it here, but I guess not.

It appears Bill may have had a heart attack while driving. He had his kids with him (2 boys age 9 & 7) and the oldest one was riding in the back seat. He said he saw his dad's head go back and his eyes were closed. Shortly after that they ran into the car ahead of them. Nobody suffered any injury from the accident and the car wasn't damaged all that bad either.

In the previous couple weeks, Bill's arm went numb while at work and at a friends house working on a car. Both times he was encouraged to go to emergency but Bill just brushed it off. I don't believe he had any health insurance and he may have wanted to avoid any financial burden to his family. But we will never be sure ....

Barry

turbovanman²
01-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh wow, :(

I guess this could be a wake up call to us tough guys who refuse to go to the doctor when we feel ill. :o

looneytuner
01-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Yep. And lay off the greasy foods. My best friend died from a heart attack at 50.

ScottD
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Well at least his boys were not hurt, that could have been much worse.

You never know when your ticket is going to get punched, live every day to the fullest.

I've had some inquiries as to "what really happened" and I thought I had posted it here, but I guess not.

It appears Bill may have had a heart attack while driving. He had his kids with him (2 boys age 9 & 7) and the oldest one was riding in the back seat. He said he saw his dad's head go back and his eyes were closed. Shortly after that they ran into the car ahead of them. Nobody suffered any injury from the accident and the car wasn't damaged all that bad either.

In the previous couple weeks, Bill's arm went numb while at work and at a friends house working on a car. Both times he was encouraged to go to emergency but Bill just brushed it off. I don't believe he had any health insurance and he may have wanted to avoid any financial burden to his family. But we will never be sure ....

Barry

BadAssPerformance
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh wow, :(

I guess this could be a wake up call to us tough guys who refuse to go to the doctor when we feel ill. :o

No doubt, I got that problem :o

turbovanman²
01-13-2010, 02:45 PM
No doubt, I got that problem :o

Me to, that's why I said it, :(

R/T
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Man, never would have thought Bill would have heart problems, but I guess you never know...:(

Always happy and willing to help; we can all learn from his example... RIP!!

coronet2fast
02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
met him a couple times at mopar nats, he was indeed a good guy. R.I.P. Bill