PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem... Mechanics?

BlueBaron
05-25-2006, 02:53 PM
2002 Chrysler Neon with drum rear (no ABS)

At 117,000km (72,700 miles) the rear drums are about 2/3 worn. I can only guess that's normal.

Now the problem is that the drivers front seems to do all the work of the front end. I just changed the front pads for the second time, about 3 or 4 thousand km ago. Both times, the drivers side pads are worn down to being 1/32" thick, while the passenger side pads look like they are just breaking in. There is still 80% or more of the material still on them.

The car seems to stop normal on the dry pavement, and in the rain it feels a little weird in a panic stop. But one winter I needed to use a snowbank on my right to keep the back end from swinging out as I braked on ice. If memory serves me well, this was using the factory supplied brakes.

I looked the caliper over as I changed the pads, and everything seems to work ok. What could be the problem? Rubber line looks ok as well. As far as I know, I'm the only person to pull the calipers, and I never let them hang off the hose.

mark
05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
sticky caliper maybe

guyd_15
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Replace the caliper
Guy

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Replace the caliper
Guy

Yep, replace both, do them in pairs.

fleckster
05-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I would guess caliper too but if that doesn't fix it then I would next look at replacing the proportioning valve. They don't normally go bad but it does happen.

5sp. mini
05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
we do a lot of hoses but mostly on stratus,cirrus. neon rear brakes don,t seem to wear too fast but they do squeal alot . i rec. changing rear if they are 70000 miles just to have new linings old are hard. mybe m/cyc sticking? is the fliud dark? alan

86Shelby
05-25-2006, 08:28 PM
if you had a problem with the rear brakes wearing unevenly I might suspect a proportionng valve. But they only limit the pressure reaching the rear brakes during quick braking; so it shouldn't affect your fronts. I'd be looking at hoses, calipers or a kinked line going to the pass front.

BlueBaron
05-26-2006, 03:23 AM
Caliper looked ok, piston moved normal. Area that the pads slide on and the old pads looked ok. Fluid looks like new still.

I'll trace the metal line back and see if there is a kink. Thanks.

WVRampage
05-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Bleed the brakes real good a prop valve will cause one front and the oposite rear to grab if something goes wrong and it may be stuck off to one side a little so If you bleed the brakes real good it may help out.