PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe Blue questions

rx2mazda
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Is the Santa Fe blue paint metallic? What is the paint code? My car has been repainted and it looks like the correct color but I want to be sure. I have a couple small area that needs to be fixed and resprayed so I hope it is correct. I also am getting ready to paint underhood, I could always go with satin black in the engine bay.

Thanks

fishcleaner
12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Do not paint the engine compartment black, unless its a black car, be proud of your mopar roots.

find a spot that has never seen the sun, like under the weather stripping or door sills, clean that area and paint match that

rx2mazda
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
What good would it be to color match an area that isn't even seen? I'm worried about blending the paint with what is already there. The paint is new and very shiny, just wondering if the previous owner used the correct "sante fe blue" paint or something that was close.

This is how the exterior looks.........

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00827.jpg

This is how the engine bay looks........

before cleaning.......

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00815.jpg

After.......

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00828.jpg

What needs to be fixed and blended.....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00812-1.jpg

Abkshelby
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Is the Santa Fe blue paint metallic? What is the paint code? My car has been repainted and it looks like the correct color but I want to be sure. I have a couple small area that needs to be fixed and resprayed so I hope it is correct. I also am getting ready to paint underhood, I could always go with satin black in the engine bay.

Thanks

Yes Sante Fe blue is a metallic paint. The paint code is right there on your body plate under the hood. (Somewhere near the AGB code in the lower left I think) The paint under the hood was I think original color. It cleaned up quite well I see.

rx2mazda
12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes Sante Fe blue is a metallic paint. The paint code is right there on your body plate under the hood. (Somewhere near the AGB code in the lower left I think) The paint under the hood was I think original color. It cleaned up quite well I see.

I know where the color code is, i'm just being lazy.:D Didn't want to drive to the shop where the car is to look at it(snow). Thanks for answering my question Alan! The paint outside is definitely metallic but under hood you can't tell since it was so dirty and then I cleaned it with Kerosene and theres no clear coat so it probably just wore the metallic off, etc, etc..It did clean up well but NOT EASY! Had to scub that tar like undercoating with Kerosene and a wire brush, took ALL DAY! I removed all the lines, prop valve, brake booster, etc and I am sanding, scuffing, welding to get it prepped to paint. I think that the new paint is correct(it looks dead on the others i've seen)so, i'm gonna order the smallest amount I can so I can spray and check. Still need the code :p

minigts
12-21-2009, 12:40 AM
While you're sapping pictures, would you mind taking one of the driver's side a pillar interior trim? If you have an L body one to compare it, that would be helpful. :)

Marcus86GLHS
12-21-2009, 05:19 AM
"......What good would it be to color match an area that isn't even seen? ........."

if you ask me i'd say the engine bay is the most important area on any performance/collector car to get right and be proud of. anyone can have a nicely painted hood.

looks like you did a good job cleaning up the engine area.

the factory never appiled clear coat to the engine bay paint on these cars so thats why you dont see any.

4 l-bodies
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Carroll,
PB6 is code for Santa Fe Blue. +1 for painting and clearcoating engine bay same color as car.
Todd

omniac
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
If you are repairing the a-pillar make sure to remove the windshield first. You'd be surprised how much those areas collect rust!

rx2mazda
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Carroll,
PB6 is code for Santa Fe Blue. +1 for painting and clearcoating engine bay same color as car.
Todd

Thanks! though I went down and got it today off the car:o

If you are repairing the a-pillar make sure to remove the windshield first. You'd be surprised how much those areas collect rust!

Good advice! The windshield will be removed so the pillars can be repaired right the first time. I'm not painting it, a friend of mine owns a body shop and it will be done there. I am doing as much of the prep work as I can so I don't have to pay his paint guy to do it. Man, my hands hurt from sanding!!!!

rx2mazda
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
BTW, what is a good paint to get? Where to get it? Thanks!

1966 dart wagon
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Do not paint the engine compartment black, unless its a black car, be proud of your mopar roots.

find a spot that has never seen the sun, like under the weather stripping or door sills, clean that area and paint match that

agree!

this isnt a chevy

1966 dart wagon
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM

I have heard from a couple people in the business and i have to agree that if your going for color match(blending) go with a high end paint, a paint like omni/shopline/nason wont match for ----(unless that is what is on there now) so for matching spend the money, if your not matching, say paying the whole car, I would personally go with an omni/shopline, thats what i used when i painted my Daytona, It'll save you alot of money and IMO base is base you wont notice a difference unless its a panel to panel match. I looked up PR3( i believe) red for my 89 daytona it was 120-130 for base in omni, for dupont chroma permier(high end stuff) it was over 300 dollars, plus a high end dupont paint in red wont cover for ----, so you will need even more, so why bother IMO. My shop i work at has had bad luck with nason, so has my dad when he painted my sisters car with it. so i stay away from that.

On clear i have also seen bad luck with nason and shopline clear, havnt heard good with omni either so spend the extra money, IMO ive had great luck with transtar clear sure its unheard of but that doesn't mean its bad, its not super expensive but lays down good and doesn't cost a fortune, I bought over a gal(its in metric so w/e is over a gal) and hardener for 190, JUST a PPG high end 2002 clear was 250 a gal(just clear no hardener).

where? a local auto parts store i know o riellys sells some

Thats just my 2 cents

shelbydave
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM

for color matching, you want to get either the PPG brand or Dupont. If you were paint the whole car, and didn't have to worry about blending and matching you could go with the lower lines ( I used Nason, which is the lower line of Dupont).

135sohc
12-21-2009, 11:17 PM
I'll be using Sikkens when the Shadow goes down for a full strip and repaint.