PDA

View Full Version : Intercooled Turbo 1 = Rock & Roll!!!

boost geek
05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Did my T2 conversion this weekend, but ran short of time, and seeing it's my daily driver, I had to get it done. It is now intercooled, (12x24x4"), My fresh G head with +1mm stainless exhaust, 3 angle, head ported by me, bowls completely opened up, T2 intake with a 3.3 intake elbow conversion, 2.5" intercooler pipes, Greddy type S BOV (incredibly loud!), ported exhaust, 3 " d.p., Walbro 255, but I'm running the STOCK computer with T1 injectors. I didn't have the time to do a wire and pin swap, so I used my "trick" throttle body, which was modified to use the stock 2 wire IAS solenoid, and tps. (tps must be pre 87). I used this t.b. on a previous S.C., ran without issue for 2 years. It's been 2 years since I had my T2 S.C., so when I got this thing running last night, I was completely blown away! This thing has at least twice the power as when it was log T1, I cant believe how fast it is at 7 psi, still blows me away! My goal is 20, right now cant imagine what it'll be like. I will see how hard I can push my stock T1 block before I throw a rod.
This saturday I will finish with the GLHS stage 2 computer, T2 injectors, AFPR and guage, 52 mm tb and 3 wire O2 sensor.
15 psi for starters:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

notice the small plugs on top of the intake? water injection to come...

Whorse
05-24-2006, 11:55 PM
NICE! You going to bring it out to Mission one Friday for the rest of us to marvel at?

boost geek
05-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Not this friday but maybe the friday after, should be done and road tested by then. ;)

BARRON
05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I like your I/C plumbing and placement of the bov. Very unique.

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Dude, its about bloody time, :amen: Looking good.

BTW, you need to throw away those garbage wires and put some Aurora's on, want me to bring you some?????? :nod:

boost geek
05-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey, you can throw any parts at me man!!!:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
05-26-2006, 09:33 PM
so you go down through the fender??? I like it. More detailed pics would be great.

boost geek
05-26-2006, 09:50 PM
I'll take more pics tomorrow, think this one's already posted somewhere.
You can't see the pipe unless you bend over and look for it, seems like it sticks out of the fender on the pic...
L bodies are so short of room under the hood, I can change plugs, thermostat, oil filter, set dist timing and remove fan without removing the int pipe. I also wanted to leave the return pipe as short as possible.

JeremyL
05-27-2006, 12:59 AM
I want to hear more about this "trick" throttle body. I'd be interested in a similar one for my car.

boost geek
05-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I want to hear more about this "trick" throttle body. I'd be interested in a similar one for my car.
Maybe I'll sell you this one when I finish switching computers. I have an L body, not sure if the wire harness plug is the same for all cars, if it is, you just plug it in and go. I bet there isn't another like it...

JeremyL
05-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe I'll sell you this one when I finish switching computers. I have an L body, not sure if the wire harness plug is the same for all cars, if it is, you just plug it in and go. I bet there isn't another like it...

Sweet, just let me know. I'm assembling a new engine for my 86 Daytona, and I'd like to intercool it, but I dread the idea of having to add wires & rewire to go to the later style stuff. I did think of a MP cooler & intake kit, but it has it's own problems like having to leave the hood vent out, possible heat soak issues, ect.

I'm trying not to butcher the car up to upgrade it, and if this will work I'd sure be interested.

GLHNSLHT2
05-27-2006, 10:45 AM
the re-wire is a cake walk, It's adding 2 wires and that's it. If you go to 87 electronics it's a matter of moving a couple pins around. With a dental pick it takes all of about 1/2 hour.

boost geek
05-28-2006, 01:17 AM
I worked for the better part of the day on my car, and it's now T2! I had the wire harness from my 86 S.C., copied the pin swap and wire additions, and relocated the computer. It would have taken even longer if I didnt have the T2 harness already made for the T2 IAS and TPS. You also have to wire the 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor, and map, or just run an onboard map sensor like I do on the GLHS Stage 2 comp. You also have to do something about your throttle cable, I run the stock cable on mine.
I hit 14 psi (my kid said 15) today on my car with cheapo gas, wow this thing just hauls. I worry about blowing a headgasket, hate doing them! At first the car ran very rough, threw a code 25, so I turned up the idle on the 52 mill t.b. with the tamper proof screw (tampered with it.) Took it for a run, when I got back, the car ran great. power comes on around 4 grand:yuck: and keeps pulling up to 6, didnt try any higher. I guess my port job and modded intake made quite a difference. Cant wait to open up my side dump.
Heres some pics of the t.b, didnt get a chance to get under the car to take a pic of the intercooler piping. The nose or fenders have never been removed for the whole process.
I ran out of time for the AFPR and fuel pressure guage, maybe next saturday.:)
The TPS is ugly, by the way. Did that years ago, didnt have a proper plug for it. I have a spare TPS that i will wire onto it if anyone is interested in it.

John B
05-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I wish I had thought of that! I relocated my battery and went through much grief getting mine in. Yours looks so simple!

GLHNSLHT2
05-28-2006, 12:16 PM
seem like a lot of work with weld or JB weld or whatever that stuff is on the TB when all ya had to do was run 2 more wires. But a neat idea.

boost geek
05-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Thats all aluminum. I bought it off someone that way a long time ago. He said he spent $200 in machining, probably done 10 years ago. Computers are cheaper now, if you have the time, T2 is still the way to go. I paid $60 for it about 6 years ago, maybe longer, didnt have a good computer then...

boost geek
05-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey, I just checked, the next street legals is on June 9, 2 fridays away. Gives me a little more time to play...

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey, I just checked, the next street legals is on June 9, 2 fridays away. Gives me a little more time to play...

I already told you that, :eyebrows:

boost geek
05-29-2006, 12:21 AM
So thats the weekend your bike racing?

turbovanmanČ
05-29-2006, 12:57 AM
So thats the weekend your bike racing?

Yes, which is good for that, :nod: and bad for drag racing-:(

boost geek
05-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Well, I just got in the house, I was getting a little disapointed about my power coming on at 4 grand, and for 14 psi, you have to hammer on it hard. My 86 S.C. used to have the boost shoot to 15 in a snap, had it shimmed for 17. I thought I'd try that with this car, unplugged the waste gate and just let it boost for a second, seeing I only have 87 octane in it. The canister was still shimmed on the housing, left it that way when I put the comp. housing on this turbo. I was justing putting in second gear, not much over idle, then mashed the gas and let it boost for a second. I was startled to hear the front tires break loose, wasn't expecting that! Tried it a few more times, and now I am again impressed by the car. I wasn't watching my tach, but it wasn't no 4 grand, but more where my other car used to boost. I seen 15 on my boost gauge, now I really need larger injectors! I cant wait for Mission, but I dont think I'll run that boost without at least +20s.
So, if anyone comes out to watch on friday the 9th, and you have a set of injectors to do maybe 2 passes on, it would be greatly appreciated if you bring them, and I'll crank the boost...:eyebrows: :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 01:36 AM
Crap, gonna miss your inaugural run, :(

boost geek
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Crap, gonna miss your inaugural run, :(
Ya, but I'm scared she'll blow without bigger injectors...:yuck:
I have a Dawes coming, hope I get it in time!:p

Turbo_Rampage
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Nice setup! I am also in the process of going T2 in my Rampage. I bought a 25x12x4 intercooler off of ebay (made by Godspeed) and it came with a few dents from shipping, :censored: one of the outlets has a flatspot from being dropped, and one of the fins has a pretty bad bend.. i hope this wont cause any problems? Did you notice a huge difference running the blow though intercooled setup? I plan on running 14lbs graingered boost on the MP stage 2 GLHS LM. I hope it makes a big difference, because all the parts for the conversion is getting expensive! I hope its worth it in the end, :eyebrows:

boost geek
06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
The power difference is bigtime, especially if you're running T1 right now. That stage 2 comp will give you 14 pounds, but sometimes I only get 9, but I'm not using a grainger. I used to always run on my other S.C. without the wastegate can hooked up, got 15 psi always, on demand. Shimmed the can to 17 with no issues and no extra fuel other than 33 pound injectors. Now I am running a disconnected w.g. can, but I dont trust it anymore, everything ported, but I have a huge intercooler now. Today I spiked to 18 for a second, let off right away, I never boost more than a second now, I want +40s. I was gonna race tomorrow, but the dawes didnt come, and it might rain. If I do race I'll hook up the canister again.
Your intercooler should be fine if it doesnt have any leaks. I thought it would be laggy, but its not, I'm still using the stock turbo. Once I get those injectors, I will see what this thing will really do!:thumb:

Turbo_Rampage
06-09-2006, 01:09 AM
The power difference is bigtime, especially if you're running T1 right now. That stage 2 comp will give you 14 pounds, but sometimes I only get 9, but I'm not using a grainger. I used to always run on my other S.C. without the wastegate can hooked up, got 15 psi always, on demand. Shimmed the can to 17 with no issues and no extra fuel other than 33 pound injectors. Now I am running a disconnected w.g. can, but I dont trust it anymore, everything ported, but I have a huge intercooler now. Today I spiked to 18 for a second, let off right away, I never boost more than a second now, I want +40s. I was gonna race tomorrow, but the dawes didnt come, and it might rain. If I do race I'll hook up the canister again.
Your intercooler should be fine if it doesnt have any leaks. I thought it would be laggy, but its not, I'm still using the stock turbo. Once I get those injectors, I will see what this thing will really do!:thumb:

Cool, :thumb: Thanks for all the info. I plan on running the grainger just because the LM limits the boost at lower RPM's, and i dont want that. What do you think your setup will run in the 1/4?

Here is my Rampage: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190863

boost geek
06-09-2006, 01:38 AM
I couldn't even guess. My other S.C. had a stock T2 intercooler, intake, everything, very slightly ported G head. The front end was worn out, had to steer with 2 hands when you put your foot into it, torque steer got pretty hairy towards the end of it's life span. With no traction (finally hooked in third gear) my best time was 14.8, and top speed (2 different runs) was 99.17 mph with the shimmed w.g. at around 17 psi. It should have been faster, the head was in poor shape, actually ran for 2 years with 782 swirl valves in a 287 G head. I had to get it running when I did my T2 conversion, was my d.d., so I cut the valve stems with the head on the engine, in the car, with a dremel tool. Took off about a millimeter, which wasnt enough, so I shaved the bottoms of the lash adjusters, just enough so the bottoms wouldnt blow out, (a couple actually did), and even shaved the rockers a bit. This was in the days before I had a computer, and any T.D. info was hard to come by, had to learn the hard way. The valve spring pressures were out of whack also, because the retainers sat higher with those valves. Even though this setup was extremely micky mouse, it still hauled pretty good, always amazed my friends!
Now everything is done properly, have an OBX, will rev to 6 grand+ no problem, and feels just downright wild. On the other hand, you always think your car is faster, until you get a time slip:yuck:

boost geek
06-09-2006, 01:42 AM
Cool, :thumb: Thanks for all the info. I plan on running the grainger just because the LM limits the boost at lower RPM's, and i dont want that. What do you think your setup will run in the 1/4?

Here is my Rampage: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190863
Oh ya, I have to rev the daylights out of it to get 14 psi with the w.g. hooked up!:banghead:
Hey, your car (truck?) looks great! Looks like you have lots of $$$ and time into it!:thumb:

PentastarTurbo
06-18-2006, 11:21 PM
congrats on the ride, have any pics of your routing through the fender with the fender off by any chance? That will unclutter nicely!

boost geek
06-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll take some pics, but I never had to take the fender off, just the inner splash shield. I also didnt remove the nose for the intercooler install, slid in from underneath.

PentastarTurbo
06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
right on, thanks

boost geek
06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
I crawled under the car, tried to get some pics. One pic has the splash guard off, the other on. The pic on the right is from the passenger side, goes through the hole where the charcoal canister was. I used mild steel mandrel 90 and 180s, a chopsaw, and a mig. I dont know you could plumb this intercooler a different way, not much room in an L body. Took a bit of fooling around, but was worth it!:thumb:

PentastarTurbo
06-19-2006, 10:30 PM
any chance in he double hockey sticks in a close up pic near the computer where the pipe goes into that section? :)

those pictures are great! a little hole saw action possibly in my future.. ;)

boost geek
06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
The first of 4 pics you can see where it 90s to the left up top, thats where it comes out beside the battery. I could take a pic under the hood, but it wouldn't show much. Actually, I'll take one in a bit. When I installed it, I removed the battery, drilled a 2.5" holesaw through, and made it fit piece by piece from there.
I also cut the end of the computer housing off, had a spare anyways.
I also used a die grinder to make the hole larger than 2.5" to fit the 90 in.