PDA

View Full Version : Repaint questions

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Hey guys, I'm getting my charger repainted over christmas break in order for it to look good when I take it to college. To keep the price down as much as possible I'm only going to be able to get it painted a solid color and not the red with silver skunkstripe like original.

Because of this I kind of want to get the whole thing painted black, like the GLHS. If not, I guess I'll settle with a completely red car (hopefully it looks good).

How hard, and what extra work is involved when changing the color of a car? Does the engine have to be removed in order to paint most of the engine bay if I change the entire color of the car?

Also, is there a place where I can get the weatherstripping for our cars? The weather stripping around the doors is pretty bad and same with the hatch.

jl93sundance
12-18-2009, 01:13 AM
If you change the color you have to paint the engine bay and all of the jams, at that point it would be cheaper to have the stripe painted on. So i'd stick with the original color.:thumb:

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Well I went and got a quote from who was supposedly one of the best painters in town. The person who recomended him is a family friend who owns an upholstery shop and called ahead and told the guy to hook me up with a good deal. The man was an older black guy who was very friendly and was surprised to see one of these cars. He just kept going on about how cool they are lol...

Anyways he quoted me $2000 after a little bit of haggling since I'm in college and was recomended by the upholstery guy, hopefully I can get it down a little more but he said he usually charges $3500 for the same job...

This would include all rust repair on the hatch, complete body and prep work, painted the factory color maroon with the silver skunk stripe including the ground effects, and all the black trim such as the mirrors, tail lights, around the window trim, etc.

Does this sound like a fair price? Or should I keep looking elsewhere?

No maaco ---- btw lol

Captain Chaos
12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Is it a base coat clear coat? If he does good work I don't think it sounds bad at all.

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Is it a base coat clear coat? If he does good work I don't think it sounds bad at all.

Yea base coat then clear coat

Captain Chaos
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Where is he I need the GLHS painted.

spirit1991
12-18-2009, 02:21 PM
2K isn't bad. Keeping the price down is key. Taking apart what you can will also help that number. Go for it! post some pics too!

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Where is he I need the GLHS painted.

Sarasota, Florida... Once I get the charger painted in the next month I'll post some pics and give you his contact info if you like what you see!

Captain Chaos
12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Definately. I'm hoping to get it painted around spring time.

1966 dart wagon
12-18-2009, 05:26 PM
2k is fairly cheap, is this going to strictly be a 'scuff n shoot' job, is he fixing any dents or rust at all? cause thats pretty cheap IMO to pay someone to do it.

If your going to change the color IMO you have jam it, it'll look like hell, heck even painting a car id still jam it. When I painted my car i was originally not going to jam it, but for the lil extra work it was worth it but to have a shop jam a car (at least at the shop i work at) it is quite a bit more to do it, there is alot of extra work to do in order to do it. so alot of people tend to not opt to jam a car(if its the same color)

For jamming the engine bay you dont have to pull the motor, on my car i just masked the engine and did the strut towers and inner fenders, it looks good enough to me, but to do it the best way it should be pulled but thats the owners call.

Is it a base/clear job or single stage, go for Base/clear,it will last longer, the only thing i would ss would be trim or a car your going to sell.

Good luck

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
2k is fairly cheap, is this going to strictly be a 'scuff n shoot' job, is he fixing any dents or rust at all? cause thats pretty cheap IMO to pay someone to do it.

Is it a base/clear job or single stage, go for Base/clear,it will last longer, the only thing i would ss would be trim or a car your going to sell.

Good luck

He is repairing all the rust on the hatch (only rust on the car lol), fixing all of the dents, sanding the whole car to make sure its perfectly straight and smooth, priming the car, and then shooting the base maroon, then the silver stripe, and then the clear... Hes a professional and supposedly the best in town

1966 dart wagon
12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
wow if its as good as it sounds, sounds like he is getting ripped off(compaired to other shops prices) I know at the shop i work at 2k would get you MAYBE a couple dents done dout the rust.

Good luck, i want pics when its done

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
wow if its as good as it sounds, sounds like he is getting ripped off(compaired to other shops prices) I know at the shop i work at 2k would get you MAYBE a couple dents done dout the rust.

Good luck, i want pics when its done

Connections I guess.. Good friends with the upholstery shop who is good friends with the painter... Plus I'm a college student so he was like "you gotta have a badass ride for college"..

I'll definitely be posting up some pics when I get it done! Just got to come up with the rest of the money!

bfarroo
12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a great price to me. Typically I'll spend 500-700 easy on materials alone using commercial grade paint and clear. Usually I use PPG's OMNI brand. I'd find out what prep work you could do to make the process easier. I would imagine that he won't end up taking out the door handles, antenna, side view mirrors ect... Probably just mask them. If you can take those things out you'll get a better looking more professional job.

1984rampage
12-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a great price to me. Typically I'll spend 500-700 easy on materials alone using commercial grade paint and clear. Usually I use PPG's OMNI brand. I'd find out what prep work you could do to make the process easier. I would imagine that he won't end up taking out the door handles, antenna, side view mirrors ect... Probably just mask them. If you can take those things out you'll get a better looking more professional job.

He said he'd do all that, but I think I might do some of it as it would make life easier, plus I wouldnt have to worry about something getting lost

tommyturbo
12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I've been getting estimates for my 88 Shelby z to be painted, all of them are at least double your price, more like tripple. I can't see how he can do that much work so cheap, not if he is "the best in town" those kind of guys know it, and they don't usually work cheap. I'm really skeptical, cause even though I am not a body work guy, I know it is very labour intensive to prep a car (even more with rust damage), plus the extra time of doing two tone paint....and if I am not mistaken clear has to be applied within a set amount of time after the color coat, not at the end after he has done the second color or it may not adhear right.
Also I know this sounds really mean, but I don't know of any trade guys who give discounts to college students to have a bad --- ride....usually they see big $. Even one of my best friends who is a mechanic, that I have known for 10 years, doesn't cut me any huge deals on labour.

I might check around and ask to see some other cars he has painted, and that weren't painted recently, but a few years ago...then you can see how they may have held up.

1966 dart wagon
12-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I've been getting estimates for my 88 Shelby z to be painted, all of them are at least double your price, more like tripple. I can't see how he can do that much work so cheap, not if he is "the best in town" those kind of guys know it, and they don't usually work cheap. I'm really skeptical, cause even though I am not a body work guy, I know it is very labour intensive to prep a car (even more with rust damage), plus the extra time of doing two tone paint....and if I am not mistaken clear has to be applied within a set amount of time after the color coat, not at the end after he has done the second color or it may not adhear right.
Also I know this sounds really mean, but I don't know of any trade guys who give discounts to college students to have a bad --- ride....usually they see big $. Even one of my best friends who is a mechanic, that I have known for 10 years, doesn't cut me any huge deals on labour.

I might check around and ask to see some other cars he has painted, and that weren't painted recently, but a few years ago...then you can see how they may have held up.

The teacher who taught auto body explained this "when you do bodywork/mechanic work you have no friends just....acquaintances"

"If your good at something never do it for free"

I did my car with omni base, shop line primer, DuPont chromapemier sealer and transtar clear it was around 800 bucks materials i did all the work myself.

If i was to pay the shop i work at to do the same type job, block whole car once, do the bad spots(doors) twice i would say it would be around 4k. I also am somewhat skeptical but if (not in this case) you were paying some guy off the clock(at his house or something) it could be done alot cheaper, say 20bucks an hour vs 45-65 an hr.

1984rampage
12-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Naw you dont sound mean, I can totally see where your coming from and I appreciate the advice! I'm not really sure how how he can do it for this price, but he seemed like a really honest guy, and I tend to trust people for the most part... I guess I'll find out come January

Captain Chaos
12-19-2009, 10:06 AM
you were paying some guy off the clock(at his house or something) it could be done alot cheaper, say 20bucks an hour vs 45-65 an hr.

Thats how my buddy and I work. If a friend wants something done on their car, we look up book time and charge what we'd make as a tech. Plus parts.

bfarroo
12-19-2009, 11:40 AM
My brother does a lot of paint work and he'll usually figure the job around 25-30 an hour. Depending on the work involved he'll do a car for 2000-3000 but he won't go through and remove door handles and trim for that price. He also does a lot of small body work like deer damage and fender benders. If you think about it half that shop cost goes to taxes, electricity, heat, insurance, ect... There's a lot of overhead running a business that increases the price. Plus he's doing the job for cash. If I had more time I'd do more side jobs. Just to busy at work.

Dez
12-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Price isn't bad at all. I paid $1700 for mine. The clear is starting to fade off after 4years, so I'm going to need to get it redone. I'm going to go with Chrysler paint code "PBS". It's a nice deep blue w/ minor pearls. I would stay with the House of Kolor pearl blue but I want something a bit different.

1984rampage
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Alright boys, dropped the car off yesterday. Should be done within the next 2 weeks or so, then some new carpet and its going to be a whole new car!

strang3majik
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
i'd love to see it in person once its done...my Omni should be ready for paint pretty soon (once I get it running cool and reliable). I'll be doing all the body work myself though (hardly has any, just some rust in the drivers side roof rail) , and, it'll be my practice for painting, base clear sante fe blue.

Can't be any worse than it is now...lol In the end, the entire paint job, materials and everything, will be about $300. But, thats doing it myself with a friend of mine's shop discount on paint :p

1984rampage
01-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Just got a call from my dad back home. He said he went by to check on the progress and the car should be ready to pick up on saturday! My dad sais its looking real good. OMG cant wait!!!

jl93sundance
01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Just got a call from my dad back home. He said he went by to check on the progress and the car should be ready to pick up on saturday! My dad sais its looking real good. OMG cant wait!!!

Nice:thumb: Make sure you post up pics when you get it back.