PDA

View Full Version : Stock Chrysler radio repair

blk86trbo
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
I've got 4 factory radios that need some attention.

2 are AM/FM/cass/CD player combination units. Everything seems to work except they won't play CD's (ERR message)

The other 2 are AM/FM/cass Infinity units with the LED equalizer...I think they both were removed from VNT cars.

Anyone have an idea of a good place to send them for repair?

Captain Chaos
12-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Our units used to go to American Radio here in town when repairs were needed on the Chrysler radios. I can get you a phone # if you want to ship them.

blk86trbo
12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Our units used to go to American Radio here in town when repairs were needed on the Chrysler radios. I can get you a phone # if you want to ship them.

Sure, thanks. Any idea if they are reasonable price wise?

Captain Chaos
12-16-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.americanradioonline.com/home.html heres their website. I don't remember the charge, but I think they charge like $50 for an estimate.

caradiodoc
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I repair for two dozen new and used car dealers around WI. Besides your cd "Err" problem, which is not serious, every combo radio gets the front switches repaired for performing the wrong functions and the FM tuner is addressed to prevent intermittent issues. These combo radios are built by Mitsubishi and are very high quality. Cost is $75.00 including return shipping and most small parts, slightly less if I can ship multiple radios in one box.

The cassette players run $35.00 parts and return shipping included if they are dead caused by two exploded transistors. Other issues will get you an estimate if it will be more which doesn't happen very often. If you don't want a radio repaired, all I ask is enough bucks for return shipping, no more. That's typically around $12.00 per radio through Parcel Post.

If interested, there are a few shipping details I will share. Of most importance is to not use the UPS basketball team. Of the last 57 radios they brought me from individuals, they smashed 17 of them. They won't go good for them even if insurance was purchased.

If any areas of the faceplate do not light up when the dash lights are on, you should include a note about which areas those are because the very tiny bulbs can be intermittent. The slightest tap or vibration will get them working again and I won't be able to get them to quit to figure out which ones need to be replaced.

caradiodoc

Captain Chaos
12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I repair for two dozen new and used car dealers around WI. Besides your cd "Err" problem, which is not serious, every combo radio gets the front switches repaired for performing the wrong functions and the FM tuner is addressed to prevent intermittent issues. These combo radios are built by Mitsubishi and are very high quality. Cost is $75.00 including return shipping and most small parts, slightly less if I can ship multiple radios in one box.

The cassette players run $35.00 parts and return shipping included if they are dead caused by two exploded transistors. Other issues will get you an estimate if it will be more which doesn't happen very often. If you don't want a radio repaired, all I ask is enough bucks for return shipping, no more. That's typically around $12.00 per radio through Parcel Post.

If interested, there are a few shipping details I will share. Of most importance is to not use the UPS basketball team. Of the last 57 radios they brought me from individuals, they smashed 17 of them. They won't go good for them even if insurance was purchased.

If any areas of the faceplate do not light up when the dash lights are on, you should include a note about which areas those are because the very tiny bulbs can be intermittent. The slightest tap or vibration will get them working again and I won't be able to get them to quit to figure out which ones need to be replaced.

caradiodoc

Thats awesome to know. As for the bulbs, if it were me I'd ask to have them all replaced because my luck goes that two days later more would go out. And welcome.

blk86trbo
12-16-2009, 02:08 PM

caradiodoc

OK great, give me some time to hook them up and try them all out again and I will get a detailed list of what's not working correctly.

Dodge Aries K
12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I have two combo decks that are junk like that too... bad buttons and they don't like to play CD's...

Reeves
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM

caradiodoc

Does this include newer radios? My cd player in my 2005 Dodge Ram quit.

blk86trbo
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM

caradiodoc

Has anyone heard from this guy or have contact info? I've sent a PM, but apparently he hasn't been online since posting to this thread :(

WickedShelby88
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Does this include newer radios? My cd player in my 2005 Dodge Ram quit.

I don't think he does them that new from what I found trying to find him. He had posted on some other sites. Just try caradiodoc@verizon.net.

tommyturbo
01-21-2010, 02:43 AM
What I want to find is someone who can repair the infinity amped speakers too. Most places don't want to touch them, I actually had one place tell me "our techs aren't even interested in looking at those"

Reeves
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
What I want to find is someone who can repair the infinity amped speakers too. Most places don't want to touch them, I actually had one place tell me "our techs aren't even interested in looking at those"

Are you having a problem with the electronics, or the speaker? I've taken the electronics off and switched them to after market speakers before.

tommyturbo
01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm looking for someone who can repair the amps that are on the speakers, and in some of the two way 5x7's and 6x8's the tweeters are bad.

The speakers when bad either don't turn on or they are staticy.

Reeves
01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
You can probably fix the tweets yourself. Look at the leads for broken wires. All the flexing of the woofer breaks the leads. Usually pretty easy to fix.

tommyturbo
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I'll take a look...

rich tideswell
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Hunt T E Auto Radio Service Center Inc
24607 Schoenherr Rd
Warren, MI 48089

TopDollar69
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
You guys should read this writeup on allpar. Most of the problems you described can be repaired at home. The author of the writeup is also very helpful, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind repairing them for you either. He goes by Oklahoma Wolf on the turbododge forum. I'm not sure if he is on this forum, but I will post his username if I can figure it out.

http://www.allpar.com/stereo/infinity-guide.html

blk86trbo
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Here's some info WickedShelby88 forwarded from caradiodoc...

"First and foremost, please do not use UPS. They have an extremely high smash rate and will not even go good for insured items. Parcel Post has been the best for me and they're the least expensive. Newspaper will scratch the display crystal so badly you won't be able to read it. Styrofoam peanuts scratch the display too and can get stuck in the mechanisms. Bubble wrap is best, otherwise cover the faceplate with clear packing tape, or better yet, put the radio in a plastic bag first. Then newspaper or peanuts are ok.

I can take care of some shipping damage on 1990s radios with used parts, but only if I have similar units here. Leave a lot of room around volume controls and joysticks in case the box gets dropped. You can even pull the volume knobs off and hang onto them. That will prevent them from shattering the front circuit board if the radio lands on the control. There should be a couple of inches of space between the box and the sides and front of the radio. For that reason, I don't use the flat rate boxes from the Post Office for the radios with the mounting ears on the left or right side. Newer round-face radios will fit in a flat rate box but I don't know if that will save you any bucks.

Be sure to include a note with your contact information and a list of all the problems you're having. Keep a record of model and serial numbers too, especially if you send two or more similar radios. It might be smart to contact me first with the model numbers if they're newer than around 2003. I've worked on a few mid 2000s radios but I can't guarantee I can fix them yet until service manuals become available. I don't repair GM radios newer than '93 models because they no longer will sell parts and service manuals. Same with Ford after '97. Chrysler radios are my specialty.

All common problems can be handled in a day or two unless parts must be ordered. After specific issues are handled, the common ones are also taken care of to prevent future problems. You'll get a detailed list of all the things that were addressed.

Thanks again for your interest. Feel free to forward this information to your friend.

Randy Baeseman
8301 South Mountain Road
Wausau, WI 54401-9186
715-359-6604
caradiodoc@verizon.net
randysrepairshop.com (under construction)"

Zoskalon
02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Paul, I pm'ed caradiodoc a while back. He mentioned on that forum, that you linked, me my EXACT problem with the EXACT radio he was referring to. He said that you can tell this radio apart easily because of the slave cd player and the 5 band digital equilizer. So I was like SWEET my radio has hope because mine was doing exactly what he said. He said that just the power switch needs to be replaced. Well, I message the guy asking if he can give me the part number for the switch, he tells me to give him the model number of the radio, I sent him detailed pics of the radio as well as all the info on the sticker. He tells me that that's a completely different radio than what he was talking about and that he's never been able to fix them before but he told me to send it to him anyway. He told me this after I said that I wanted to try fixing it myself. I'm very sure he just wants the business. I don't blame the guy though. Its on my eventual-to-do list, but I am going to take my radio apart and see if I can find the part online myself. It'd be nice to have that radio up and running, but I could get the 4 disc changer radio like yours for less than the repair of my old one...

caradiodoc
02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Are you sure you repeated what I said correctly? If you did, I wouldn't want to deal with me either. First of all, I don't remember that conversation. Second, I'm not sure why I would ask you to send me a radio I can't fix, but there are a few cassette radio models that I CAN repair the power switches. New volume control assemblies, (with new switches that will develop the same problems in a few years), have not been available for over ten years. That might be related to your request for a part number. I'm happy to give out other information if I have it, but I get part numbers out of the service manuals' parts lists. There are a lot of different model number radios with different internal parts, but they all look the same on the outside. That's why I can't look up part numbers by a photo of the radio. Having part numbers won't help now anyway because Chrysler followed GM's and Ford's lead, as they always do with things that do not benefit their customers, and they no longer will sell us radio service manuals or parts. I retaliate by no longer buying their new cars.

Next, my e-mail got changed by my provider so a lot of people lost track of me. I also stopped getting a lot of automated e-mails informing me of new replies to these posts. Sorry that happened, but if anyone still needs help, my new contact information is:

caradiodoc@frontier.com

You might also find me at 715-359-6604. Best time to catch me is up until about 2:00 a.m. cst.

I do repair the Infinity speakers, but be aware I have to saw open the sealed amp, then dig out the protective jelly to get the circuit board out. It won't be pretty when you get it back but it will be resealed to keep moisture out. Sometimes I like to keep them playing on my test bench for up to two weeks to be sure they're fixed before I ship them back. Cost to car dealers, or anyone else, is $40.00 ea. plus return shipping. You can also find a lot of these speakers in the pick-your-own-parts salvage yards. If you're between Ohio and southern Georgia, there is a real nice chain of yards called "Pull-A-Part" where you pay your buck, throw your tool box in one of their wheel barrows, and you can spend all day there. I've been to 16 of their yards, and employees and customers were always real friendly and helpful. You can do an inventory search over the internet too to see which yards have cars like yours. They can't tell you colors, options, or what has been removed or damaged though.

Also be aware that unlike GM and Ford radios that have to be used with an amp when it's part of the package, Chrysler radios do not. They all put out speaker-level volume directly. The amps do not increase power or volume. They only modify tone response for the shape of the vehicle. That's why some people are dissatisfied with the sound when they transplant systems or radios from different vehicles. Basically, the Infinity radios put out much less bass, then it is made up with the amps. If you put an Infinity radio in a car with regular speakers, you'll want to turn the bass way up. If you put a standard radio in a car with Infinity speakers, you'll have too much bass unless you turn it way down.

I wasn't even aware you guys missed me. This thread just popped up in a Google search I just did for my new web site. I apologize for not responding earlier. If there's any radio, Chrysler, or auto electrical problem I can help with, feel free to e-mail me directly.