PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt A413 - What To Do?

Whorse
05-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Here's the long and short of it:

Bought a turbo van for 450 bucks. Not running, no features, needs a rebuild. The kicker: A413 transmission with 50 miles on a rebuild with a 1200 dollar bill from a very reputable shop that does a LOT of old chryslers.

So, I have this rebuilt tranny, not sure what was done to it on the rebuild, but I know the shop is known to be good.

I want a strong auto transmission, but don't want to pay someone else to do it. I want to learn to work on transmissions, but don't want to ruin this rebuilt one.

Thoughts?

jckrieger
05-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Get a service manual and start reading online. With nothing but basic tools and some spare transmissions for parts, I was able to modify the governor weights, add a clutch to the front drum, remove the wave snap ring, crank up the line pressure to compensate for the governor weight change, and play with the valve body. Result? One badass trans :)

89acclaim
05-24-2006, 01:17 AM
This may help.:thumb:
http://66.78.24.116/Mopar%20Pages/Tranny%20upgrades%20detail.htm

Daniel Merrill

Whorse
05-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Good link. I've gone through it, but keep in mind I've never touched this. I need a good baseline. FSM would be nice. I can probably get one for the caravan. Impossible to find for a VNT lebaron though. (Different story)

turbovanmanČ
05-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Read up on all my threads, take your time and have a work bench you can lay it all out and leave if you need to. Order the ATSG manual from me, :nod:
Or just save your time and just pay me to do it, :evil: