PDA

View Full Version : What would you do, omni glht setup help.

devinshaw
12-14-2009, 08:50 PM
I am ready to get back to work on my 1985 omni glh turbo, it has been down for about a year with a blown engine. I have a stock fresh rebuilt 87 t1 engine, rebuilt t1 turbo, ported blow thru manifolds, 52mm tb, 2.5 s/v, and a supra intercooler. The last td I built was 10 years ago so I know there are better ways of doing things now.

What computer, injectors, map and so on would you do for a fun street car using the stuff I already have. How much boost is safe on this bottom end, I was thinking around 16-18.

devinshaw
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
dang no help huh, any recomendations on where to get a calibration?

cordes
12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I would put it back together in stock configuration and run it. They are so quick and so much fun on the street that it should be plenty of fun for this upcoming summer. Perhaps convert it to TII over the next winter.

Just run a G valve at 11PSI or so and you will be fine. Perhaps put in a MP cal if you really want to.

devinshaw
12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I already have all the parts to convet to t2, so I am putting it back together that way, I have had a omni and a charger at 15 lbs boost setup t1 and t2 but I am looking for a little more with this one. I am leaning towards FWD stage 4 cal with a baseline of 16lbs boost and then I can put better fuel in the car and up the boost a bit to play around at times.

Marcus86GLHS
12-16-2009, 06:12 AM
any T2 engine in an omni is going to be fast and a lot of fun.

A GLHS turbo, MP Stg 2 cal, +20's, and a stock T2 intercooler is a cheap, effective way to go.

cordes
12-16-2009, 09:32 PM
any T2 engine in an omni is going to be fast and a lot of fun.

A GLHS turbo, MP Stg 2 cal, +20's, and a stock T2 intercooler is a cheap, effective way to go.

If you already have the stuff and the car is apart, I would agree with Marcus. Perhaps I'm a little more prudent in my older years, but perhaps I have figured out that it is more fun to cruise around in them rather than to break them.

devinshaw
12-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I do agree it is more fun to drive rather than fix, but some of these new cars are getting to be faster and I really like embarrassing them.

cordes
12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I do agree it is more fun to drive rather than fix, but some of these new cars are getting to be faster and I really like embarrassing them.

I hear you there. Fortunately, many of those driving them have more money than brains and ability to drive. Much over 14PSI in an omni will have you severely traction limited on the street anyway. I have a larger turbo etc. on my omni and the last time I had it running right I couldn't get traction until midway through third gear on the street at 12PSI.

Marcus86GLHS
12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
DEVIN one other thing to keep in mind, if you care: re-sale value.

right now i would say theres no question that any GLHT setup as bone-stock correct and complete is far more valueable than even a well prepared T2 GLHT (all other things being equal that is).

so, if you want to have a ton of fun, have reliable and fast GLHT, and be able to get as much money for it down the road, restore it back to a T1 with the correct pieces. but if you are dead set on T2-ing it, i'd emulate the basic GLHS setup as much as possible again to get to your goal w/o killing the value too much.

Marcus86GLHS
12-17-2009, 06:24 AM
DEVIN one other thing to keep in mind, if you care: re-sale value.

right now i would say theres no question that any GLHT setup as bone-stock correct and complete is far more valueable than even a well prepared T2 GLHT (all other things being equal that is).

so, if you want to have a ton of fun, have reliable and fast GLHT, and be able to get as much money for it down the road, restore it back to a T1 with the correct pieces. but if you are dead set on T2-ing it, i'd emulate the basic GLHS setup as much as possible again to get to your goal w/o killing the value too much.

Vigo
12-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Id say just use what you have, its roughly equivalent to t2 pieces anyway. You should be able to build a 13 second car with what you have, other than buying some bigger injectors.

16-18 psi should be ok on that car, you wont make more than ~220whp like that, at most.

contraption22
12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I would agree to keep in mild. But my feeling is that any TI GLHT is just a TII GLHT waiting to happen. The swap is so easy, and reversible, I can only see the TII swap being a enhancement to the value of the car, rather than a detriment, assuming it is done neatly and cleanly. It can be done without cutting.

The engine you are planning to put in is an '87 anyway, so the super-purists will probably snub their noses at it regardless if of the induction system.

"Top Fuel" Bender
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
. But my feeling is that any TI GLHT is just a TII GLHT waiting to happen.

:thumb:

step 1:by a glh
step 2: TII without the cost of a GLHS
step 3: enjoy

TII a GLH is better then hacking up 1 of 500 GLHS'

devinshaw
12-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I am not concerned with what this car is worth to anyone, It would be a different story if it where a factory glhs. I plan on keeping this car forever and setting it up the way I want it, The whole car is flat black, including wheels and lights as it went with my halloween costume and non attention getting scheme. Don't worry it's not splotchy rattle can, but properly done base/flat clear to my liking. I got the c/s logo gray seats for it, so not exactly a clean original. I am going ahead and getting the +40's and 3 bar map for a stage 4 cal and will run my version of a t2 setup.
Thanks for the input, I will be good to put another omni back on the road.

Vigo
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Post pics when done!

I got an idea.. we should collect a bunch of vids of different tm's spinning in 3rd on the street, and compile it into one video. If there were enough cars in it it could be a pretty cool youtube video :)

contraption22
12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I am not concerned with what this car is worth to anyone, It would be a different story if it where a factory glhs. I plan on keeping this car forever and setting it up the way I want it, The whole car is flat black, including wheels and lights as it went with my halloween costume and non attention getting scheme. Don't worry it's not splotchy rattle can, but properly done base/flat clear to my liking. I got the c/s logo gray seats for it, so not exactly a clean original. I am going ahead and getting the +40's and 3 bar map for a stage 4 cal and will run my version of a t2 setup.
Thanks for the input, I will be good to put another omni back on the road.

Rock on! Enjoy your ride!