PDA

View Full Version : Twin Turbo 3000GT meets the old school turbo

Dave
05-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Kind of a long story here.

This afternoon I washed the Spirit all up, nice and perty, cleaned the rims with some real nice acidic detergent, works real well, anyways go to work, come back home and meet the parents on the way home. Get some money from the mum and go out to eat.

So I'm at the local A&W, hit on my waitress a little, eat, hit on her some more, tip her, hit some more, oh yah, then leave!

Okay on my way home. I have my windows down and the radio off, I'm listening to my turbo whistle with my open downpipe. :thumb: When all of a sudden I hear a HKS SQV BOV. Look into the oncoming lane and see a dark green, Mitsu. 3000 GT. Oh snap! Whip her around the block and catch up to the bi-turbo beast.

Luckily while catching him and taking a right hand turn he went right on by popping his BOV. Sweet! Also noticed he has no hood. Even sweeter! Make my turn and goose it, blow the tires away and pop off my BOV. He looks back in his mirror and responds by downshifting and taking off real hard. It's only a 2 lane road so I can't get next to him.

We both are coming up to where the road becomes a 4 lane, so we just keep playing with eachother. Popping each's BOV off after another. hehe

Here's the good part. Road opens! I'm doing about 35mph in 2nd gear (413 trans) and he gets next to me in the slow lane. He paces me but keeps ahead about a half car. When I notice a nice clearing is up ahead I nail it! He responds immediately.

I got the bust on him and instantly get door to door with him. I hear his BOV, meaning he shifted, and I lurch forward... me still in 2nd gear, at about 4,500 or 5,000 RPMs now. I continue to wrap out the motor to 6,000 and rip back 3rd gear. Puting a half length on him but he was beginning to pull me in. I let out doing about 90mph (yah, it's a 35 zone). What a freakin' race!

I point right to a parking lot and he follows. Turns out he's just got a 3.5" exhaust, HKS SQV BOV, Taylor ignition, 16psi, and the turbos have been balanced. He said he ran a 13.5 in it.

I was running of course the open downpipe, 19psi, and 48psi static fuel pressure. Pump gas, full interior, street tires and all.

Damn, damn good race if I've ever had one.

-Bryan

3Bar_Mopar
05-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Great race!!

What do you have done to your 413? I'm worried that my trans won't handle 20+ PSI with Mishimoto IC, +20's and AFPR, let alone alchohol injection later.

Dave
05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Just 5 clutches, RMVB, and a new OEM torque converter that for some reason or another stalls at 4,200. That might be due to too much power though. :thumb:

OhioRob rebuilt it 4 years ago and stuffed it in his Lancer, which his non-turbo-loving, non-peddle-mashing daughter babied... drove for a few hundred miles. It's got 125psi case pressure. Man it nails 2nd gear so hard! Sometimes when the tires chirp, its pitch is so high that I almost feel like covering my ears.

3Bar_Mopar
05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Just 5 clutches, RMVB, and a new OEM torque converter that for some reason or another stalls at 4,200. That might be due to too much power though. :thumb:

OhioRob rebuilt it 4 years ago and stuffed it in his Lancer, which his non-turbo-loving, non-peddle-mashing daughter babied... drove for a few hundred miles. It's got 125psi case pressure. Man it nails 2nd gear so hard! Sometimes when the tires chirp, its pitch is so high that I almost feel like covering my ears.

Mine shifts so soft to second that it takes a second for it to grab the gear, then it goes into 2nd gradually. I'm afraid it will be much worse with a hundred or more ft/lbs. It shifts normal if I'm not in the throttle.

I have another 413 that's a lot tighter and don't have many miles on a rebuild. It's going into the Daytona whenever I can find time to turn the wrenches. I don't want to trash that one.

jckrieger
05-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Lighten up the governor weights, crank up the line pressure, and replace the wave snap ring with a flat one. With those mods, my a413 with no new parts held up to many 12 second runs and is now in its 3rd car!

Dave
05-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Lighten up the governor weights, crank up the line pressure, and replace the wave snap ring with a flat one. With those mods, my a413 with no new parts held up to many 12 second runs and is now in its 3rd car!

That's a good idea. Hm...

I wont be pissing around with the auto much longer. They break way too much.

glhs875
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
That's a good idea. Hm...

I wont be pissing around with the auto much longer. They break way too much.

That's bull!! I've broke way more 5 speeds than auto's. In fact, I've yet to break an auto. Mine is on it's 4th year with countless passes on it. And it has never even been rebuilt yet (90 to 100k miles on it). The trans was in my Daytona (8.20's @ 93+ on BFG's) and is now in my GLHS. Iam going to freshen it up soon though.

GLHSKEN
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Big difference, you did it right the 1st time. I have a Cliff R full race auto valve body trans in a car right now. Just brought the car up with a fresh rebuilt 2.5, boost is limited due to a split hose (I think, will find out tonight) to 3 psi. Damn thing shifts so quick and tight at that low hp that I had to make 3 runs to convince myself it HAD shifted.