PDA

View Full Version : Turning up the 12v...

Subliminal
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

So I picked up my truck this last Saturday.

Like Simon said...slouch. Lol. 3.54s and an auto with 160 HP in a truck that weighs just shy of a billion pounds...dog.

So, I turned up the max power screw, till it hit the collar. I figure that's as far as I should go without gauges.

I turned the fuel pin 90 degrees.

I turned the star gear 1/4 turn.

I screwed the smoke screw down 1 turn.

She's not going to win me any trophies, but she sure woke up for my around the town drives. :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
smoke screw? Gonna write us a KC aticle there? ;)

Subliminal
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Ha.

There's actually already a fantastic amount of info out there.

This is the writeup I used:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

thefitisgay
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
tune my ford for me?

youre gunna have to provide your own hammer

Force Fed Mopar
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Careful turning up the injection pump, not sure if you have the same one as my buddy's '93 CTD but if so they can stick wide open if you adjust it too much. Something about the return spring isn't strong enough.

Subliminal
12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah, if you turn up the 'max power screw', which has a collar tack welded on it for safety, generally people take the intake tube off the turbo, turn it up until the truck goes into 'runaway' (ie, it just runs full bore, even if you turn off the ignition switch), then they back it down a bit.

Apparently, it's a good plan to have a 2x4 or some other thing to block the turbo off, so you can shut 'er down.

I turned my up TO the collar, which wasn't very much at all. I don't have a pyro yet, so I didn't want to do anything drastic.

Plus, I just got this fella on Saturday...I'll take er slow. ;)

turbovanmanČ
12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Sweet, I'll show my neighour that article, he's scared shittless to turn his pump up, doesn't want to mess with his MPG's, :lol:

Subliminal
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, apparently an EGT meter is really all a guy needs...after that you can just turn it up until you max out your fuel.

Interestingly enough, they say the torque converter in my tranny is good for a 40% loss of power.

Sweet. :(

trannybuster
12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
^^ That tq is start shuttering sooner or later. Buy a good quality shift kit from ATS, itll only help but it wont fix the issues. I added the fuel pump plate and the gsk 3000 kit and eventually found a failry priced used ATS trans, then I bought a Goerends ((or Gorends ??)) tq for 1100.00. Since then Ive towed with my ATS commander on ((engages od in at desired rpm AND doesn't let it kick out for anything)) towing a total of 21,000 gvw for 300 miles no issues whatsoever. Truck now has 232,000 and runs like a top.
BTW in the summer I run 1/3 tank of used motor oil, filtered of course. AHHH free fuel :love:

Johnny
12-31-2009, 02:05 AM
You should add a large diameter exhaust it helps, I went to 4 inch!!!!!!!
http://www.polybushings.com/images/92dieselexhst.jpg

The Pope
12-31-2009, 05:25 PM
mine I did all that, then added the 60 hp injectors, ported head, 16 cm housing and advanced the fuel pump an 1/8"

The true 4" turbo back Johnny has and a K&N filter help a bunch too.

Turning up the thing all fuel without flow mods will melt the truck, better make sure you add exhaust and a 60mm compressor upgrade pretty fast.

Subliminal
01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Well, it's all relative. That's like saying 'turning up the boost on a Lebaron will melt the car.' Sure, if you turn up the boost to 20psi without fuel, you'll have issues, but if you take it from 11psi to 14psi with the correct gauges, you'll probably be ok.

Same applies for the trucks. You can turn the pump up till the pistons drip out the bottom, but you can also turn it up incrementally as your truck can handle it. I'm hitting 21psi now without exceeding 1000 EGT, so it's definitely up from stock, but not up so high as to hurt anything.. and that's with only a K&N filter, some gauges and a full 3 inch exhaust.

I'd love to get a new torque converter, a 4 inch exhaust and a little bigger injector, but I'm a poor boy, so I'll probably just turn it up a little until my EGT gauge says STOP! ;)