PDA

View Full Version : MPTuner

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

wowzer
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
****MPTune***

here is the link to download MPTune. Subsequent updates will typically be done automatically via the program's auto update feature.

MPTune
(http://gofile.me/5bycC/TEUIsJ0ag)
In this directory you will find:
1) mptunesetup.zip - main install file (see below)
2) mptune.exe - program executable in case auto update does not work. copy directly into C:\Program Files (x86)\MP Suite\MPTune directory.
3) mpsuiteupdater.exe - executable in case auto update does not work. copy directly into C:\Program Files (x86)\MP Suite\MPTune directory.

what you need to do:
-download the zip file to a temp directory
-unzip and run setup.exe
-this creates a MP Suite directory under the Program Files (<=win XP) or Program Files (x86) (> win XP) directory. Another directory will be created in the MP Suite directory called MPTune. This is where all the programs will reside. The data files will be located under the C:\Users\"username"\Documents\MPTune for windows versions > Win XP.

Don't forget to set up your com port! Let me know asap of any issues or features that are missing or don't work.

When MPTune is started, it will check if a newer version is available. If so, it will download it (message displayed on the status line) and then install it AFTER you exit the program. Give the update 10 seconds or so to get everything updated. The program should then be on the most current version when you restart it. if you are on windows vista or later, the user access control system will prompt you for permission to update the program. click allow.

Lastly, the default splash screen on startup is a picture i copied off the website. i love that pic. If the author/owner of that pic does not want that to be used let me know and i will replace it. Can't remember where i got it from so if it is a copyrighted issue let me know. As mentioned in the help, the startup picture can be replaced by the user with any picture they desire (be nice now!)

***Compressor map file available***
version 2.0.3.9 and above allows the user to download a file that contains many compressor maps. download the zip file from the following link: mpgraphs.zip (http://gofile.me/5bycC/yN0BXliPu)

-after you have downloaded the zip file you need to expand it into the user directory, usually something like C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\MPTune. you can figure out the directory by selecting the menu Help/Computer and looking at the "User File Directory". then when you go into the menu setting called "settings -> calculators -> turbo sizing" it should bring up a list of compressor maps. this file is huge so if you prefer you can just load in your own compressor maps using mptune2. This is done by using the menu setting called "miscellaneous -> images -> turbo list".

*** FTDI USB CABLE Info***
-download ftdi prog program and invert tx and Rx signals using this program here - http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG
(http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_PROG)here's what to do:
-start the ft_prog.exe program.
-click on the magnifying glass to load in your ftdi device settings (obviously make sure you have it plugged in!!)

-click "hardware specific" group
-make sure the load d2xx drive is NOT checked
-click the "invert rs232 signals" group
-make sure the invert txd and invert rxd boxes ARE checked.

-click the lighting bolt to program the device

Then:

-download and install the vcp drivers from here if you haven't already - http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
(http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)-go to the windows device manager. under the group "universal serial bus controllers" right click on the item that should say something like "usb serial converter". click on the advanced tab and make sure that the item "Load VCP" is checked. You also may want to set the com port settings as shown for latency, although the program 'should' set the latency for you when it runs.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50446&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50447&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50448&stc=1

ShelGame
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
T-SMEC v16 and T-LM v10 are both now posted in the cal repository. These are the latest versions of both and are compatible with MP tuner. Save on fuel and get a gas card. Learn these deals in Publix Ad (https://www.weeklyads2.com/publix/).

bakes
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
sticky time

1BADVAN
12-08-2009, 01:14 PM
can you explain some of these extra functions? why do we have to set up the comm port?

mcsvt
12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
I've been playing around with it for a few days and really like the interface so far. Hope to have the car together soon to put it to the test.

1BADVAN
12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
so i cant seem to figure how to load a cal so i can see it in the tune section with the graph it just is blank

1BADVAN
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
never mind i just got it!
i know we just got this one but
version 2 is next which should be MUCH better:nod:

what ideas do you have to make version 2 MUCH better? that way we already know and don't give you feedback on things you are already planning on changing

wowzer
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
never mind i just got it!
i know we just got this one but

what ideas do you have to make version 2 MUCH better? that way we already know and don't give you feedback on things you are already planning on changing

OK - maybe MUCH is an exaggeration!

haven't thought alot about it yet other than:

1) rewrite it in vb.net or vc++.
2) be able to edit ALL cals loaded, not just the main cal
3) have the tuner be its own program and break out the others (trace, disassemble, etc) into their own.
4) have a "setup" option to allow u to pick whichever text editor, hex editor, file compare program, etc. you want to use.
5) go back to having the table "detail" pop up when needed, similar to dcal. will clean up the main display and most of that stuff isn't modified anyway.

all ideas r welcome. i would like to get the interface designed over christmas and then work on the code.

cordes
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm happy with it so far. If there isn't a way to have the table info of just what is on the line displayed like in D-cal that would be nice. I like how the mouse shows the mouse location now, but it would be nice to lock into the graph too.

turbovanman²
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I'll have to play with this some time, one evening, this is awesome, :thumb:

wowzer
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm happy with it so far. If there isn't a way to have the table info of just what is on the line displayed like in D-cal that would be nice. I like how the mouse shows the mouse location now, but it would be nice to lock into the graph too.

i'm not understanding either point u made!! can u try again? do u want the table info displayed? also the mouse shows both the actual x, y values as well as the graph y value. ??

bakes
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
this is great awesome work!!!!
but now my brain hurts again going to take a while to to absorb it all in

good write up in the help sec

JamesL
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Nice work guys! :thumb: This looks like a good evolution of the interface and functions combining features of DCAL and Chem, along with the templates and assembly code and their added tune features. So now you can do all your scaling, feature selecting and editing in one place. I assume you can also use this with your own bin file if you build a template file? I agree with Cordes, it would be nice if there was a point snapping ability. That is, rather then float over the point and possibly change it when selecting, it should snap to it. Then, using a cntl + arrow key combo move to another point. Just a thought :) Anyway, all you guys are doing great things with each iteration of these softwares.

ShelGame
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
You can edit your own file if you have a table file for it (just like D-Cal and ChEM1). Or, you can dis-assemble it and create a template from it (a bit more work, I think).

cordes
12-09-2009, 08:27 PM
i'm not understanding either point u made!! can u try again? do u want the table info displayed? also the mouse shows both the actual x, y values as well as the graph y value. ??

From what little I have played with it, the mouse currently displays the X,Y values of where the mouse is at in the table. D-cal will "trace" the line on the table so that the Y value displayed will be that of the plotted line where the mouse is currently at X spot. Essentially D-cal locks the Y value to the plotted line.

Does that make more sense? There are times I wish I could have it either way.

wowzer
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
cordes - in mptuner there are 2 y values. the first y value represents the y value of the exact position the mouse is at. the second y represents the graph y value based on the current x position.

jamesl - u can move between points once a point is selected by the page up and page down keys.

also, in looking at your and jamesl comments i found a bug in the way the mouse and keyboard keys work together in selecting points. i will post up version 1.0.1 tomorrow. this bug fix will also "snap" the mouse to the point as desired (i hope!).

keep looking, playing and giving feedback.

cordes
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
cordes - in mptuner there are 2 y values. the first y value represents the y value of the exact position the mouse is at. the second y represents the graph y value based on the current x position.

jamesl - u can move between points once a point is selected by the page up and page down keys.

also, in looking at your and jamesl comments i found a bug in the way the mouse and keyboard keys work together in selecting points. i will post up version 1.0.1 tomorrow. this bug fix will also "snap" the mouse to the point as desired (i hope!).

keep looking, playing and giving feedback.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this. I really appreciate how people like yourself will share what they have done with a know nothing like me. :nod:

MopàrBCN
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM

3) have the tuner be its own program and break out the others (trace, disassemble, etc) into their own.
4) have a "setup" option to allow u to pick whichever text editor, hex editor, file compare program, etc. you want to use.
5) go back to having the table "detail" pop up when needed, similar to dcal. will clean up the main display and most of that stuff isn't modified anyway.

all ideas r welcome. i would like to get the interface designed over christmas and then work on the code.

If you are going to do it in vb.net I'll be willing to help you. I started once a project which I eventually never released due to time constraints. My current working version is bug loaded but since I know them it isn't trouble to me but would be for those who accidently erase their entire cal history...

Basically I have quite some part of charting, version control and compare funcionality done. The way my tool worked was to "remote control" chem2 with it. I basically enhanced the calx schema to be able to do full editing in chem, then loaded the changes into a database and kept the binaries that way stored in the db. My aim was clearly being able to trace and document changes done to a calibration, not that much doing the cal with it (therefore remote controlling chem) The only thing I functionally never managed was graphing the last slope i.e. in a fuel curve.

So, if you are interested, I am happy to share the work...

bakes
12-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Wow i just started to try it now my Brain not hurting (hangover:faint:) this is great !

What is the chance of adding in a Nitrous routine ?

Frank
12-13-2009, 08:18 AM

I would suggest JAVA instead.

DodgeZ
12-13-2009, 10:10 AM

hmmm NO

bakes
12-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Frank just curious what would adding java give you ?

bakes
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
cool i just found you can run multiple comparisons (+3)at the same time
the more i use it the more i find and like:)

Aries_Turbo
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
looking good.

a few things to comment on/request.

any chance we can get more decimal place values? when a PEFTBL is from 0-1 rather than from 0-100%, there is only one decimal place for the value which makes it quite hard to know what exact value you are using.

also... with the snapping of the mouse. i find that if i am holding the mouse and hitting the pgup or pgdn keys and i accidentally move the mouse, it makes the point move even though i wasnt clicking the mouse.

is there provision for a "no edit" feature in d-cal so you cant change the points?

last but not least, how do you add additional points once the calbration is loaded?

thanks

Brian

Frank
12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
It would allow you to use any platform to create cals... windows, linux, mac, handhelds, etc.

cordes
12-13-2009, 06:40 PM
looking good.

a few things to comment on/request.

any chance we can get more decimal place values? when a PEFTBL is from 0-1 rather than from 0-100%, there is only one decimal place for the value which makes it quite hard to know what exact value you are using.

also... with the snapping of the mouse. i find that if i am holding the mouse and hitting the pgup or pgdn keys and i accidentally move the mouse, it makes the point move even though i wasnt clicking the mouse.

is there provision for a "no edit" feature in d-cal so you cant change the points?

last but not least, how do you add additional points once the calbration is loaded?

thanks

Brian

+1 to all of the above, especially the scale.

wowzer
12-14-2009, 12:48 AM
aries_turbo:

1) can u list a cal i can look at that uses the peftbl from 0 to 1 so i can address your comment. r u talking about the x/y values display?

2) it sounds like u r using version 1.0.0. i updated the program last week to 1.0.1 to fix the snapping problem (i thought). make sure u have 1.0.1 since i can't reproduce the problem.

3) i'll put it on the update list to prevent edits to data via a menu choice or something.

4) u add/delete points by selecting a point on the graph and then pressing insert or delete. (i think it says that in the help file :thumb:)

i'll wait a bit to see if there are more changes i can add before i update again. thanks for the feed back.

oh ya. - i'll look at the java stuff but i'll tell ya up front i have NEVER programmed it. my goal with version 2 is to code it in something others can relatively easily take over if needed. maybe there is a bigger pool of java people in this community than vb.net or vc++. i'm open to it (maybe!)

Aries_Turbo
12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
1) turbonator LM v10 template has 0-1 rather than 0-100%. i suppose i could change the scale from 0-1 to 0-100 but id still like to see at least 2 decimal places on the X and Y values display.

2) i copied the 1.0.1 exe into the programs file. im pretty sure im using the latest version. to recreate the problem, hold the pgdn or pgup button slightly longer than you would normally and jiggle the mouse up and down. i can get it to screw the table up every time. :)

3) cool

4) oh ok. the help file is a little hard to find things in for me. i have real bad reading comprehension anyway cause im perpetually distracted. :) i did look in there. i just couldnt find it.

forget java. frank likes to increase the scope of every project beyond reasonableness. just leave it the way it is. its hard enough to support the windows program let alone all the other goofyness that youll find when you are porting it to every platform. any machine that can run either mac or linux can run windows in some way or another. palm..... too small to be useful. while id love to be able to tune with my tapwave zodiac, there is no way ill be able to flash with it or burn a chip with it. it just isnt happening. maybe log, but its much more convenient to log with a PC.

Brian

Frank
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
forget java. frank likes to increase the scope of every project beyond reasonableness. just leave it the way it is. its hard enough to support the windows program let alone all the other goofyness that youll find when you are porting it to every platform. any machine that can run either mac or linux can run windows in some way or another. palm..... too small to be useful. while id love to be able to tune with my tapwave zodiac, there is no way ill be able to flash with it or burn a chip with it. it just isnt happening. maybe log, but its much more convenient to log with a PC.

Brian

Loud noises, loud noises...

Java is very very similar to c++. Heck you can do it even in flash. The point of the matter is if you are going to port it already to c++ or vb, then why not use one that will work on others natively. It is a step in the right direction for others to be encouraged to port their programs over or others to write new applications and then eventually you could do everything on hand helds, etc.

ShelGame
12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
just leave it the way it is. its hard enough to support the windows program let alone all the other goofyness that youll find when you are porting it to every platform. any machine that can run either mac or linux can run windows in some way or another. palm..... too small to be useful. while id love to be able to tune with my tapwave zodiac, there is no way ill be able to flash with it or burn a chip with it. it just isnt happening. maybe log, but its much more convenient to log with a PC.

Brian

Especially when you can buy a 2lb laptop for less than $300...

Though, flashing from a Palm is certainly possible. Heck, that'd be easy compared to trying to datalog with one. Now, editing a cal on a Palm, that one would be tricky. I think there's too much info needed than can be displayed on the tiny Palm screen...

Frank
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Well that is why it was an idea...

wowzer
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
1) turbonator LM v10 template has 0-1 rather than 0-100%. i suppose i could change the scale from 0-1 to 0-100 but id still like to see at least 2 decimal places on the X and Y values display.

2) i copied the 1.0.1 exe into the programs file. im pretty sure im using the latest version. to recreate the problem, hold the pgdn or pgup button slightly longer than you would normally and jiggle the mouse up and down. i can get it to screw the table up every time. :)

3) cool

4) oh ok. the help file is a little hard to find things in for me. i have real bad reading comprehension anyway cause im perpetually distracted. :) i did look in there. i just couldnt find it.

Brian

-------
1 - done. i set it to 2 decimal places for the x and both y points. that was easy!!

2 - wow - i see what you are saying. i knew combining the mouse and keyboard code would get me in trouble. so just don't do that!!! do it slowly! seriously, i'll take a look at it and try to figure out how to fix it for u fast finger guys.

3 - no edit is done. basically it will default to no edit unless the "toggle" is flipped to edit.

4 - as usual the help stuff was low priority. if someone wants to rewrite it for me that would be GREAT!! (just an .rtf file). i plan on using the regular windows help system in the next version. (i think i did try to bribe rob to rewrite it for me once upon a time!)

and as for FRANK ---- i did look at Java stuff last night and it looks really cool, especially the graphics capabilities. and as mentioned it basically looks like c++ code. so maybe ........

wowzer
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
ok - i posted v1.0.2

brian - make sure i fixed the pgup/pgdn thing you were talking about.

Aries_Turbo
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
aight. ill look at it. ill see about organizing the help section if i get some time.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
cool, all changes seem to be implemented successfully. I have one more check to do when i get to my PC at home that has a regular mouse connected to it. im on my laptop at work right now and it seems to be fine for now. :)

Brian

DodgeZ
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I have seen a ton of Java Apps. They pretty much all suck. Sorry Frank but java sucks. AJAX or Javascript is alright but Java Apps = fail....

risen
12-14-2009, 06:57 PM
and as for FRANK ---- i did look at Java stuff last night and it looks really cool, especially the graphics capabilities. and as mentioned it basically looks like c++ code. so maybe ........
Here are my thoughts on the Java idea:

While the syntax of the 2 languages are similar they're still very different. In C++ you can do a quick and dirty typecast or use pointers to manipulate data. Java is going to force you to cast everything. There are no pointers in Java, any indirection is done by object references. It's OK if that's your style, but I often find Java mind-numbingly frustrating because of it's typing.

Java is incredibly memory hungry. Native C++ code is going to be smaller (memory wise) as you won't have the interpreter. Plus, I'd bet there are many people out there who don't have systems that would produce usable results with Java. The most commonly used parts of a system's API (Like file or network I/O) are presented, but you have to think in a very platform-independent way to do a cross platform app in Java.

Although, having the application (semi)natively run on my various Linux and OSX systems would be nice.

I don't have a preference either way, but even sloppily written C++ will beat Java in memory footprint and often performance.

Frank
12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the input on that Risen. My Java experience is marginal... hence why I brought it up.

Stratman
12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for this application!!!!! Maybe I'll try it on the Omni and CSX next season.

Chris

turbovanman²
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Especially when you can buy a 2lb laptop for less than $300...

Though, flashing from a Palm is certainly possible. Heck, that'd be easy compared to trying to datalog with one. Now, editing a cal on a Palm, that one would be tricky. I think there's too much info needed than can be displayed on the tiny Palm screen...

Is an iPhone screen larger?

ShelGame
12-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Larger and better resolution. You could probably write a decent editor for the iPhone. But, I don't know C well enough. And, then, how do you interface an iPhone with a car? Does it have a cable available? I suppose you could flash it over bluetooth if you got a BT-Serial adapter and wired it in to the SMEC...

turbovanman²
12-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Larger and better resolution. You could probably write a decent editor for the iPhone. But, I don't know C well enough. And, then, how do you interface an iPhone with a car? Does it have a cable available? I suppose you could flash it over bluetooth if you got a BT-Serial adapter and wired it in to the SMEC...

Interesting, ;)

Something to look into. :D

bakes
12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Larger and better resolution. You could probably write a decent editor for the phone. But, I don't know C well enough. And, then, how do you interface an iPhone with a car? Does it have a cable available? I suppose you could flash it over blue tooth if you got a BTU-Serial adapter and wired it in to the SMEC...

As for Simon and I we both are running ostrich 2 ( some had bluetooth ) so it would be possible to make changes that way

cs daytona
12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Well Innovate has an iphone integration with datalogger already, altho its for obd2 only :( But the way the iphone is coming up in the world, its probaby the next best idea to try out!

Travis

Aries_Turbo
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
i ran into an issue with MPTuner when trying to scale a non-turbonator LM table with it. it wouldnt let me scale more than -50 or +50%.

Brian

Juggy
12-27-2009, 08:40 AM

sounds neat :evil:

wowzer
12-29-2009, 12:43 AM
i ran into an issue with MPTuner when trying to scale a non-turbonator LM table with it. it wouldnt let me scale more than -50 or +50%.

Brian

by design. i limited it to +-50%. didn't ever think a table would be scaled by even that much!! sorry. i suppose you could scale it 2 or more times:nod:

Aries_Turbo
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM
i suppose i could have scaled it by -11% rather than scaling it to 89% of the original. all i was doing was knocking back a table a little. :)

either way works now that i think about it. it just takes a little getting used to differences in programs.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
01-01-2010, 03:33 PM
hey can i request a feature mod to the program?

I like to compare the part throttle and full throttle timing and fuel (hotmap, wotmap, maptbl and wottbl) as an overlay and i always have to save the file as a different name and change the table names to swap the part and full throttle tables and then load them as a comparison to compare the part and full throttle fuel. that way i can make the tables the same past 5psi to help prevent knock if the throttle is lifted slightly at high boost.

any chance you can make a comparison function that takes the current loaded full throttle map based tables (timing and fuel) and overlay them on the part throttle tables so that the part throttle tables can be exactly matched to the full throttle over 5psi?

that would be amazing if that could be done. :)

thanks

Brian

cordes
01-01-2010, 03:41 PM

I like to compare the part throttle and full throttle timing and fuel (hotmap, wotmap, maptbl and wottbl) as an overlay and i always have to save the file as a different name and change the table names to swap the part and full throttle tables and then load them as a comparison to compare the part and full throttle fuel. that way i can make the tables the same past 5psi to help prevent knock if the throttle is lifted slightly at high boost.

any chance you can make a comparison function that takes the current loaded full throttle map based tables (timing and fuel) and overlay them on the part throttle tables so that the part throttle tables can be exactly matched to the full throttle over 5psi?

thanks

Brian

That would be nice. I always use another D-cal window to just get the hex values and put them in the original. Either way it is a pain.

bakes
01-02-2010, 12:01 AM
+1 to that idea!

Aries_Turbo
01-02-2010, 12:39 AM
ok having some problems.

went to make a 2.2L cal based on T-LM V10.

opened up the template, scaled map stuff, scaled injector stuff, loaded a comparison, moved some points to match, added some points here and there, manually went through every table and checked values and selected 3-bar selections (as it wont do it when scaling), selected config values, turned off cel masking for most known errors and then saved the template, overwriting the original.

then i went to compile and it asked me for the .asm and then the .v10 template, then calls up the assembler and then stops with a "major error" of this:

?ASxxxx-Error-< > in line 79 of C:\MPTuner\cals\*NameEdited*\TurbonatorLMv10\T-LM_22_MTX_A171_T2.v10
<u> undefined symbol encountered during assembly

if i unzip T-LM V10 into a folder and only compile without making any changes, it works. as soon as i make a change to the template before compiling, it gives me an error. i remember when i made only 1 change to one single point in the peftbl the error line was 78 and not 79.

other issues:

limiting scaling injectors to 95 lb? E85 can easily exceed 120lb injector because of the flow rate needed. then again, i have to fake the scaling process so scaling for 120lb actually means scaling to 92.4 when scaling for e85. but for a gas application with a 16v head (or reeves) 95lb can be easily exceeded.

lots of temp values have no axes defined and i assume that is because they arent defined in the template?

also, rev limits dont seem to be handled correctly like in Chem2. reversing the axis values from 0-8192 to 8192-0 doesnt seem to be correct either.

there might be an error in the table name OverboostShutoffBa.wordastegate . it looks like some of the coding got copied into the name. dunno if that caused problems elsewhere.

i cannot yet get away from using 2-3 programs to make a cal. :) its getting there though :)

Aries_Turbo
01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
That would be nice. I always use another D-cal window to just get the hex values and put them in the original. Either way it is a pain.

i cant just copy them over as i do some moving around of the part throttle points so its not such a fuel hit as the boost approaches 5psi. i need to visually see it. :)

ShelGame
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
lots of temp values have no axes defined and i assume that is because they arent defined in the template?

That's because of the template. T-LM was based on BB60, and it was not as fully documented as my own dis-assembly of the '89 T1 code. So, there is some missing data. It's on my list of things to do to finish out the LM dis-assembly, but it's lower on the priority list.

also, rev limits dont seem to be handled correctly like in Chem2. reversing the axis values from 0-8192 to 8192-0 doesnt seem to be correct either.

I didn't realize CHeM2 did anything special with the rev limits. Are they scaled differently? I didn't change anything with repect to the table info. Maybe the definitions are different from CHeM to CHeM2. I'll look into that tonight.

there might be an error in the table name OverboostShutoffBa.wordastegate . it looks like some of the coding got copied into the name. dunno if that caused problems elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing that out - I fixed it now and I'll post it with the update I'm working on. I don't think it would cuase any problems except when editing the table. It should have still compiled correclty. (I think)

wowzer
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
ok having some problems.

went to make a 2.2L cal based on T-LM V10.

opened up the template, scaled map stuff, scaled injector stuff, loaded a comparison, moved some points to match, added some points here and there, manually went through every table and checked values and selected 3-bar selections (as it wont do it when scaling), selected config values, turned off cel masking for most known errors and then saved the template, overwriting the original.

then i went to compile and it asked me for the .asm and then the .v10 template, then calls up the assembler and then stops with a "major error" of this:

if i unzip T-LM V10 into a folder and only compile without making any changes, it works. as soon as i make a change to the template before compiling, it gives me an error. i remember when i made only 1 change to one single point in the peftbl the error line was 78 and not 79.

other issues:

limiting scaling injectors to 95 lb? E85 can easily exceed 120lb injector because of the flow rate needed. then again, i have to fake the scaling process so scaling for 120lb actually means scaling to 92.4 when scaling for e85. but for a gas application with a 16v head (or reeves) 95lb can be easily exceeded.

i cannot yet get away from using 2-3 programs to make a cal. :) its getting there though :)

here is the easy fix for the compiling error. I (unfortunately) set up mptuner to work with the smec stuff and not the lm stuff so i ASSUME certain things. one of the assumptions is that the .asm file needs a dataorg statement, and if one does not exist it will create one. so, to fix your issue:
1) open up the lm v10 .asm file
2) page down until you come to the version == 10 line
3) enter the following: DataOrg == 0xc000. so the asm should look like:

version == 10
DataOrg == 0xc000

4) save the file and then recompile. should work now.

rob will need to update his template to include this line.

as far as the scaling limits i will up the range. Suggestions on what the max should be (for now!)?

turbovanman²
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM

thanks

Brian

+ infinity, :nod:

wowzer
01-05-2010, 01:10 AM

thanks

Brian

you've got mail!

DodgeZ
01-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Will this not work with ladybug or blueberry code?

cordes
01-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Will this not work with ladybug or blueberry code?

So far as I'm aware that is correct. You will need to use the updated version of TLM or TSMEC.

ShelGame
01-08-2010, 10:46 AM
It should work fine - with an assembled version of BB or LB with an appropriate .tbl file. But, it will not edit the source code of either. If they were converted to the 'template' listing style, then they could be made to work.

DodgeZ
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
It should work fine - with an assembled version of BB or LB with an appropriate .tbl file. But, it will not edit the source code of either. If they were converted to the 'template' listing style, then they could be made to work.

here are the files I am trying to work with.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19657&d=1262818460

MPTuner doesn't seem to want to open them.

I go to Tune --> Load Cal File... It is is then looking for a *.v?? file. Which I don't have, so I select bin. It gives me the error in the attached picture. I am working with ladybug60

wowzer
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
the error says there is something wrong in the .tbl file with that specific table which i pasted below:

A49C 0 n ClosedLoopTimeFromEngTempAtStartup_FromTemp Startup Temp -200 260 degrees out_desc 0 255 scale CLTIME

Even though it has the correct number fields for that type of table (14) you can see that field number 6 (Temp) is in error. the program expects that field to be a number. it looks to me like the table should be defined as follows:

A49C 0 n ClosedLoopTimeFromEngTempAtStartup_FromTemp Startup_Temp -200 260 degrees out_desc 0 255 scale CLTIME Enter_Startup_Desc_Here

Note that i combined the fields Startup Temp into Startup_Temp and then added a description field at the end.

If you make that change the bin should then load. You will notice a number of other errors in the error listing which probably can be ignored but if you want to properly use the bin with mptuner you should fix the table file some time.

wowzer
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM

thanks

Brian

i updated the link with a newer version of mptuner. it includes an overlay option/toggle that hopefully will address the issue to some degree. also, modified the program to allow higher injector scaling and a couple other tweeks. check the mptunerver.txt file.

turboman
01-10-2010, 12:32 AM
why when i try to load a file(.bin)it pop an error window and it shut mptuner off?:confused2:

wowzer
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
need more info. can you upload the bin and .tbl file? can u take a screen shot of the error? i'd be happy to help if you can give me more details.

bakes
01-10-2010, 11:03 PM
IM having some problems with windows7 not running the program after a week or so have to purge it and reload the its all good for week . its running ok on my other pcs runnning xp

DodgeZ
01-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Can you have it check the window location before it opens? I run a laptop. Sometimes I run dual screens. If I lasted open the software on the second screen that is where it wants to open it again, which makes sense. The problem is I don't always have the second screen hooked up. I have to "move" it with the keypad, It isn't a big deal but it would be nice.

wowzer
01-11-2010, 01:57 AM
IM having some problems with windows7 not running the program after a week or so have to purge it and reload the its all good for week . its running ok on my other pcs runnning xp

weird - i have no idea. it would be nice to know if any others with vista or win7 have the same problem.

wowzer
01-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Can you have it check the window location before it opens? I run a laptop. Sometimes I run dual screens. If I lasted open the software on the second screen that is where it wants to open it again, which makes sense. The problem is I don't always have the second screen hooked up. I have to "move" it with the keypad, It isn't a big deal but it would be nice.

i'll look into it. i have it set up to save window locations at program termination.

ShelGame
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
weird - i have no idea. it would be nice to know if any others with vista or win7 have the same problem.

I've only ever run it on Win7 and don't have that problem...

DodgeZ
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM

are you running it in compatibility mode?

bakes
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
are you running it in compatibility mode?

no and then yes still no luck just opens a tab on the work/task bar and wont open past that

DodgeZ
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
are you running the newest version?

bakes
01-11-2010, 01:31 PM
of win7 or MPtuner?

WIN7 no
MP tuner yes

bakes
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
pluss this Dell laptop is weeks old

DodgeZ
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I figured out the problem. You are from canada.... MPTuner only works in the US

bakes
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I figured out the problem. You are from canada.... MPTuner only works in the US

God Dam Metric Conversion;);)

risen
01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
no and then yes still no luck just opens a tab on the work/task bar and wont open past that

Have you tried either resizing your desktop or trying to alt-tab into the program? This sort of stuff should be handled automatically, but sometimes windows displays do unexpected things.

wowzer
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
of win7 or MPtuner?

WIN7 no
MP tuner yes

32 bit or 64 bit win 7?

i've got a mixture of xp, 32 bit vista, and 64 bit vista machines at work. i'll try it on all of them! my concern is with some of the api calls i make in the program and if that could be messing anything up.

also, need to set up a ?!*$#@# dual monitor system and make sure my simple fix works.

bakes
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
32 bit or 64 bit win 7?

i've got a mixture of xp, 32 bit vista, and 64 bit vista machines at work. i'll try it on all of them! my concern is with some of the api calls i make in the program and if that could be messing anything up.

also, need to set up a ?!*$#@# dual monitor system and make sure my simple fix works.

tried both 32 and 64

looks to be loosing the short cut links :confused2: weird.

Aries_Turbo
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
(T-LM) so, to fix your issue:
1) open up the lm v10 .asm file
2) page down until you come to the version == 10 line
3) enter the following: DataOrg == 0xc000. so the asm should look like:

version == 10
DataOrg == 0xc000

4) save the file and then recompile. should work now.

rob will need to update his template to include this line.

Ok this fix worked. now i had the program crash once or twice when i saved a template file and then tried to reopen the same one but i couldnt recreate it..... but that fix did work and i was able to compile just fine.

now for the overlay function. works great! right click on the table you want to be overlayed on another table and hit "Set As Overlay Table" say AdvanceFromMapWarmFull. then go to the table that you want to edit, say AdvanceFromMapWarmPart and click on the checkbox "Overlay On" in the lower right hand corner of the window. Works AWESOME and its quick and easy.

As for the scaling range that I requested.... that will take some getting used to the methodology. Say you want to scale a random table to 2x as large as it was before.... right click on the table name and click "Scale Table" and a window will pop up. heres where it gets tricky. since scaling in MPTuner is done in + and - percent values, scaling something 2x means using 100% for the scaling factor as you are scaling it up by adding 100% more to it. if you want to scale something down by half, you use -50% as the scaling factor.

here is the formula used. new value = value * (100+(scaling factor))/100

I cant wait for the snow to thaw to try some of this new fun stuff on my car. :)

brian

bakes
01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
I love the new overlay feature works great!!

DodgeZ
01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Are there any plans to work on the 3d tables?

bakes
01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
how about some way to scale1 bar maps to 2-3 bar maps for 3.0l and all v6's please!

ShelGame
01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
how about some way to scale1 bar maps to 2-3 bar maps for 3.0l and all v6's please!

That can't be done simply in MP Tuner. The V6 is hard-coded to a 1-bar MAP in many places. The code would have to be re-written from scratch to convert to 2- or 3-bar. Because the V6 is a 1-bar system, they never considered MAP as a signed variable. It is always unsigned.

Actually, the easiest thing to do would be to make a hybrid codebase. Use all turbo code for spark, fuel, etc. And V6 for the interrupt routines, AIS, etc. If there was serious demand for something like that, I'd consider trying it. But, I would need the cooperation (and serious dedication) of a V6 guy that really knows the car/engine. But, I think most V6 guys just want a fully developed plug-n-play system. I don't have the means to do that on my own. Megasquirt is probably a simpler solution.

Now, if we somehow got a hold of the development code that Chrysler used when testing the V6 turbo package, then maybe we'd have something....

wowzer
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Are there any plans to work on the 3d tables?

the 3d table stuff is already set up in the program. it displays the initial data in a grid and if you double click the grid a 3d graph will open which allows you to select and move a point as well as rotate the graph.

you got mail.

DodgeZ
01-12-2010, 10:31 AM
the 3d table stuff is already set up in the program. it displays the initial data in a grid and if you double click the grid a 3d graph will open which allows you to select and move a point as well as rotate the graph.

you got mail.

hmmm. Looks like you have to "allow edit" before you can double click. I am looking at the simon cal that is posted here. When I look at the AdvanceModifier3DNormal graph it is just blank. There is an error log when you open the bin, maybe it is related.

wowzer
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
hmmm. Looks like you have to "allow edit" before you can double click. I am looking at the simon cal that is posted here. When I look at the AdvanceModifier3DNormal graph it is just blank. There is an error log when you open the bin, maybe it is related.

ok - i'll try to find the "simon" cal and look at it. did i forget to say that the 3d tables only work if they have been properly set up for mptuner?:confused:

wowzer
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok this fix worked. now i had the program crash once or twice when i saved a template file and then tried to reopen the same one but i couldnt recreate it..... but that fix did work and i was able to compile just fine.

now for the overlay function. works great! right click on the table you want to be overlayed on another table and hit "Set As Overlay Table" say AdvanceFromMapWarmFull. then go to the table that you want to edit, say AdvanceFromMapWarmPart and click on the checkbox "Overlay On" in the lower right hand corner of the window. Works AWESOME and its quick and easy.

As for the scaling range that I requested.... that will take some getting used to the methodology. Say you want to scale a random table to 2x as large as it was before.... right click on the table name and click "Scale Table" and a window will pop up. heres where it gets tricky. since scaling in MPTuner is done in + and - percent values, scaling something 2x means using 100% for the scaling factor as you are scaling it up by adding 100% more to it. if you want to scale something down by half, you use -50% as the scaling factor.

here is the formula used. new value = value * (100+(scaling factor))/100

I cant wait for the snow to thaw to try some of this new fun stuff on my car. :)

brian

if that formula/setup is confusing for most it is VERY easy to change it to something else that does make sense. lmk.

DodgeZ
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27478

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2010, 12:52 PM
if that formula/setup is confusing for most it is VERY easy to change it to something else that does make sense. lmk.

it would be easier to have it be straight percentage rather than negative numbers.

like 1% scales it down to 1% of the original. and 100% does nothing. and 200% scales it 2x. that makes the most sense. oh and if we can scale based on non integers that would be nice too. like 56.7895 and stuff like that. at least 4 decimal places if not more.

thanks

also, whats that "Val" entry in the scaling window?

Brian

wowzer
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
it would be easier to have it be straight percentage rather than negative numbers.

like 1% scales it down to 1% of the original. and 100% does nothing. and 200% scales it 2x. that makes the most sense. oh and if we can scale based on non integers that would be nice too. like 56.7895 and stuff like that. at least 4 decimal places if not more.

thanks

also, whats that "Val" entry in the scaling window?

Brian

that makes alot of sense BUT i'll wait for a little more input before changing. also, val stands for Value. i must have inadvertantly backspaced over it. this allows you to put in a fixed adjustment versus percentage. I am going to change the heading to "fixed amount". also, with the change i made last week to the % scaling stuff i messed up and changed the fixed amount range also.

turbovanman²
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM
That can't be done simply in MP Tuner. The V6 is hard-coded to a 1-bar MAP in many places. The code would have to be re-written from scratch to convert to 2- or 3-bar. Because the V6 is a 1-bar system, they never considered MAP as a signed variable. It is always unsigned.

Actually, the easiest thing to do would be to make a hybrid codebase. Use all turbo code for spark, fuel, etc. And V6 for the interrupt routines, AIS, etc. If there was serious demand for something like that, I'd consider trying it. But, I would need the cooperation (and serious dedication) of a V6 guy that really knows the car/engine. But, I think most V6 guys just want a fully developed plug-n-play system. I don't have the means to do that on my own. Megasquirt is probably a simpler solution.

Now, if we somehow got a hold of the development code that Chrysler used when testing the V6 turbo package, then maybe we'd have something....

I guarantee Bakes would be your guinea pig, :thumb:

bakes
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

i really dont want a plug a play I have two projects that are sbec based a 95 4.0l XJ going holset and a my 94 3.ol v6 A604 GTC vert that is going to get twin to3's . the vert just has to much running off the sbec to go stand alone
im willing to pay someone to help crack the code

and yes i know car and motors and how to tune just not the codes that run them :(

Aries_Turbo
01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
that makes alot of sense BUT i'll wait for a little more input before changing. also, val stands for Value. i must have inadvertantly backspaced over it. this allows you to put in a fixed adjustment versus percentage. I am going to change the heading to "fixed amount". also, with the change i made last week to the % scaling stuff i messed up and changed the fixed amount range also.

so the Value based scaling would add or subtract a certain amount of whatever axis value is defined?

so say you had a pumping efficiency table that the y axis is from 0-100%. so if you used -50 as your value in the "Val" location, it would subtract 50 from every point in the table lowering it down?

or take something like a boost allowed table you could subtract 5 psi from the entire table? that sounds pretty cool.

am i understanding?

Brian

wowzer
01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
so the Value based scaling would add or subtract a certain amount of whatever axis value is defined?

so say you had a pumping efficiency table that the y axis is from 0-100%. so if you used -50 as your value in the "Val" location, it would subtract 50 from every point in the table lowering it down?

or take something like a boost allowed table you could subtract 5 psi from the entire table? that sounds pretty cool.

am i understanding?

Brian

almost - i had it set up originally to work just on the raw data, i.e. if the underlying x value is 240 and you subtract 10, the new value is 230, IRREGARDLESS of the scale. I think your suggestion is much more intuitive using the actual axis scaling as the interval versus 0-255. so if the x axis is 0 to 8192 rpm (underlying x = 0 to 255) then a -100 would adjust each point down 100 rpm instead of reducing the x value by 100 raw.

so - the fixes currently for 1.0.4 are:

1-limited checking for multiple monitors on startup to fix initial display location
2-% scaling range is >0 to <=400
3-% scaling range precision increased to 4 decimal places
4-fixed scaling range is based on axis display values versus raw data

i also fixed a graph display problem for the 3d graphs (which most people don't care amount at this time) if the point was dragged way off the chart.

others?

Aries_Turbo
01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
sounds cool.

Brian

cs daytona
01-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I was trying to burn a v16 t-smec ghead 2.5 cal. My mptuner loads, edits, compiles with no errors, and programs to the chip just fine. The car starts and idles perfect. BUT once i give a little gas, the lights flicker and the engine cuts in and out rapidly. Also it does it with the key on engine off, and i can hear the fuel pump priming and its like the key ignition is turning off and on very fast. This only happens when i press on the gas pedal, slow or fast. Did i do something wrong? I burned the same cal but v15 t-smec with d-cal and ive been running it for a month already.

Also i tried the mptrace after i compiled the cal. There was a warning saying the .lst file is invalid or it hasnt been compiled using mp compile or something along those lines. Well since there was no errors after the compile and the mptrace was for debugging, i went ahead and just burned the chip.

Any ideas?

Travis

ShelGame
01-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Did you try the spark-based rev limiter by chance? It doesn't work and does about what you described...

cs daytona
01-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Well i remember that it didnt work so i didnt check it. I made 2 versions of the cal and they both didnt have the spark based limiter checked. Pretty much all i did was add the antilag and staging limiter using criuse on/off switch, and change it for manual trans. But i did the same with v15 with d-cal and it all good. Just wondering if its mptuner related, operator error, or what?

Travis

wowzer
01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Also i tried the mptrace after i compiled the cal. There was a warning saying the .lst file is invalid or it hasnt been compiled using mp compile or something along those lines. ....

Travis

mptrace had inadvertently been disabled. that is why you got the message. if you didn't get any messages during compiling other than "it compiled successfully" then your bin should be ok. i have reenabled it and will post v1.0.5 to fix that. sorry.

mptrace is simply a tool to step through compiled code. it is not a "logging/scanning" program.

cs daytona
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Yea read mptrace was for debugging so thats why i ignored it since there were no errors. I was just thinking maybe there was another step to the process or something that i must have missed. Ill try again using the newest mptuner version and see if it wasnt just something in the software. Ill try and make some time to do that and report back

travis

ShelGame
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Well i remember that it didnt work so i didnt check it. I made 2 versions of the cal and they both didnt have the spark based limiter checked. Pretty much all i did was add the antilag and staging limiter using criuse on/off switch, and change it for manual trans. But i did the same with v15 with d-cal and it all good. Just wondering if its mptuner related, operator error, or what?

Travis

Change it for manual trans? You mean un-check the option for ATX? That's not all you need to do to convert to manual trans. But, there's a template for both auto and manual trans. You should just use the correct template.

cs daytona
01-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Yea thats what i meant. I unchecked atx. Now that u said that im thinking thats where i went wrong. I used the cust g-head 2.5 cal template, which i noticed it was a atx cal. But i did the same thing in d-cal, i just unchecked the auto, and it runs fine. Ill try again and use the 2.5 mtx template and copy over the different values from the 2.5 g-head cal. Crossing fingers :)

travis

bakes
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm trying to swap for 2bar to 3.bar in lm v10 and it takes hitting the scale to map button about 6 tries before it switches it.

wowzer
01-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm trying to swap for 2bar to 3.bar in lm v10 and it takes hitting the scale to map button about 6 tries before it switches it.

couple things:

1) the lm cal i tried apparently has table types 5 and 6 set as map tables. the only table types allowed are 0 - 4. if you need a table type 5 or 6 set up for a map you need to change it to a table type 8 and make sure it follows the "EXACT" layout necessary. if you look at one of the v16 cals with a table type 8 you will see what i mean. pay attention to how the x units description reads (byte/word) as well as setting the choices up right.

probably should get rob to change the base cals to reflect the table type 8.

2) mptuner does the updating weird! i.e. you have to exit the scaling form before the graphs reflect the change. i always planned on changing that but never got around to it!! i'll fix it in a subsequent release.

since the lm was never originally supported you may run across some other strange things. just let me know and i'll fix it. if i recall the fueling multiplier for the 16 bit tables is different so i don't know if the graphs will show up correctly. someone who knows what they're doing needs to check that out!

ShelGame
01-20-2010, 09:02 AM
couple things:

1) the lm cal i tried apparently has table types 5 and 6 set as map tables. the only table types allowed are 0 - 4. if you need a table type 5 or 6 set up for a map you need to change it to a table type 8 and make sure it follows the "EXACT" layout necessary. if you look at one of the v16 cals with a table type 8 you will see what i mean. pay attention to how the x units description reads (byte/word) as well as setting the choices up right.

probably should get rob to change the base cals to reflect the table type 8.

I can't find any MAP tables type 5 or 6 in T-LM v10?

wowzer
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I can't find any MAP tables type 5 or 6 in T-LM v10?

damn, i hate it when the dyslexia flares up!:confused: don't know where i got the lm10 version i had that had those tables set up that way.

anyhow, bakes - send me the cal u r using (u have mail) and i'll see what is happening.

ShelGame
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Maybe an older version before I released it...

Aries_Turbo
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
i had a TLMv10 that forced me to click on popups 10 times and manually check the 3-bar values before you did the 2.5L updates.

i went to recreate the situation that bakes had last night and it wouldnt do it.

brian

bakes
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
damn, i hate it when the dyslexia flares up!:confused: don't know where i got the lm10 version i had that had those tables set up that way.

anyhow, bakes - send me the cal u r using (u have mail) and i'll see what is happening.

Im sorry i deleated it, was getting tired ,thought i make a new on in the AM when i wasn't so tired..

Aries_Turbo
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
hmmm i was looking at the fueling setup and changed some things and went back to the running fuel values and clicked the "afr's" checkbox.

what appears on the screen doesnt make sense to me for some reason. it shows the afr being crazy lean when i know it shouldnt show that based on the table values.

any tips on this deal? oh... i changed the values in that WOT fueling setup column to make sense on what i would want. like 14.7 in vac, 12.0ish at low boost and tapering to 11.0:1 in the real high boost ranges.

i know alot of us liked the "green line" of Chem2. is that feature enabled and i dont see it?

thanks

Brian

wowzer
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
i'll look at the chem2 stuff. i never used chem2 so what did the "green" line represent?

which cal template are you using? if its an lm one there might be something whacked out. isn't the fueling calculated differently for the lm stuff (see post 106)

cordes
01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
i'll look at the chem2 stuff. i never used chem2 so what did the "green" line represent?

which cal template are you using? if its an lm one there might be something whacked out. isn't the fueling calculated differently for the lm stuff (see post 106)

The green line was there as a suggestion for the fuel requirements. I found that if I got the pumping table set right the fueling tables fell right on the green line. It was a pretty nice tool to have. IIRC Rob did the math for it?

Aries_Turbo
01-24-2010, 06:29 PM
yes the fueling is different as far as the hexidecimal code looks compared to the SMEC. its 2x the value of a SMEC.

any chance you could add a checkbox halve the requirements for LM cals.... something i could click to change that math?

the green line in chem2 represents what you have to align the fuelfullthrottle, fuelpartthrottle, and fuelnothrottle tables to achieve the values that were input into the fuel setup chart for no throttle, fullthrottle, and partthrottle.

if your line of AFR's shows what afr the calculated running fuel curves would be theoretically set to, thats fine for me... as long as there is a SMEC/LM toggle. no green line would be needed at that point as far as im concerned.

brian

Aries_Turbo
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
The green line was there as a suggestion for the fuel requirements. I found that if I got the pumping table set right the fueling tables fell right on the green line. It was a pretty nice tool to have. IIRC Rob did the math for it?

youre supposed to set those tables to the green line first and then tune the pumping efficiency table. :)

Brian

cordes
01-24-2010, 06:31 PM
yes the fueling is different as far as the hexidecimal code looks compared to the SMEC. its 2x the value of a SMEC.

any chance you could add a checkbox halve the requirements for LM cals.... something i could click to change that math?

the green line in chem2 represents what you have to align the fuelfullthrottle, fuelpartthrottle, and fuelnothrottle tables to achieve the values that were input into the fuel setup chart for no throttle, fullthrottle, and partthrottle.

if your line of AFR's shows what afr the calculated running fuel curves would be theoretically set to, thats fine for me... as long as there is a SMEC/LM toggle. no green line would be needed at that point as far as im concerned.

brian

I found the green line to be a nice visual personally, but concede the fact that the AFR display does the job too.

wowzer
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
i fired up my version of zchem but didn't find a green line. i'll look tomorrow at the version i have at work.

HOWEVER, i did find a couple things i changed that i'll upload tomorrow. 1) the afr line "assumed" the y max value for display at 49152. i see the lm uses 24576. i changed the code to just look at the y max value from the table and use that (which i should have done from the beginning!!). anyhow, it makes the afr line make alot more sense. 2) compiling the lm 10 code resulted in a "bad" calx table that chem2 wouldn't read due to some descriptions having an ampersand (&) in them. i changed the code to replace the ampersand with the words "_and_".

also, i'll review the code to figure out how to best handle the lm fuel stuff. should be relatively straight forward. the yellow afr line is the theoretical afrs based off a calculation i got from rob's spreadsheet. thanks for the feedback.

DodgeZ
01-24-2010, 09:13 PM
10% of all males are red green color blind. So don't use red or green please.

Aries_Turbo
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
ok went to disassemble the 87 csx stage 2 cal with MP tuner and it created an assembly file. then i went to compile from the assembly file created and it gave me a whole slew of errors.

what i wanted was a more complete table file of the stock cal.

i wish i had a more complete one for the stock 89 T2 setup as well.

brian

wowzer
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
hmm - the disassembler is kinda the poor bastard child of the program. i used it years ago to work with the 89 t1 smec stuff and that's about it. if there is enough interest i 'll put some effort into making it more "worthy". can ya send me the cal (or a link) so i can see what it's trying to do/not do. then i can offer some advice and maybe get some direction from you all on what you would like to see.

Aries_Turbo
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
here was the cal i was trying to disassemble and then reassemble so i had a good complete table file but with the stock memory locations.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10700&d=1223690263

thanks

Brian

PS. morris, you RULE. when i find something with the program that doesnt quite work or whatever, i get a little discouraged but then i make a request and you always seem so eager to make the program better that it erases my discouragement immediately. :) thanks again for your hard work.

Aries_Turbo
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
another small issue.

with LM data, the FuelFullThrottle, FuelPartThrottle and FuelNoThrottle tables extend past the range of the graph. they always have and most likely always will unless the range is extended or the injectors used are HUGE and the required pulsewidth is lowered.

problem is that i cant drag the last point off the screen and i cant move it with the arrow keys off the screen and i have to be able to do so to set up the fuel properly. plus T-LM has some goofy looking data for the 2.2L version of the last point of FuelFullThrottle... no where near enough fuel and i cant even move it back up to where its supposed to be due to the limitations on where the points are allowed to be moved and the graph size. :)

Thanks.

Brian

wowzer
02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
brian - which version of mptuner are you using? version 1.0.7 should have fixed some the of lm fuel table display issues. which bin/tbl/template are you using? give me a link and i'll take a look-see. i remember having the same issue but can't recall how long ago or with which bin.

also, fyi, working hard on making the disassembler a little better. hopefully will have it updated in a week or so which should make disassembling some of the old stock bins alot better. also, some new and improved features in mptuner. pm me if you want.

morris

Aries_Turbo
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
ok, i did a little more testing. i was using T-LM V10... the 2.2L version. i recreated what i did. when i load the stock cal it loads fine and i can see everything just fine.

what happened was i went to scale for a 3-bar map and it seemed to scale the running fuel tables REALLY wierd. the last point stayed where it was and the rest of the table seemed to arch toward the upper left kinda like it scaled for injectors or something. it threw me off on what was happened.

it just doesnt seem to scale for map correctly. i looked in the scaling list and it says its going to scale for the xaxis but it doesnt look right....

i am using 1.0.7.

brian

Aries_Turbo
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
ok i just went and scaled a table manually in d-cal.

when you scale for map, the whole table raises.... including the last point because when the table is scaled for a larger range, the last slope must extend out and the end point will naturally be higher as the pressure is higher so the pulsewidth is higher.

ok, i did a manual scale of the table in MPTuner to test. it wont scale the last slope properly. it needs to scale the slope and then update the last point or something.

now for the other issue.... yeah if the last point is above the graph, i cant even click on it. i cant select it by using pgup and pgdn and then using the arrows. i cant edit it at all. i need to be able to edit that last point. :)

using a 2.5L cal on the LM with the pulsewidths the way they are the last point is above the graph immediately upon loading. :)

Brian

wowzer
02-06-2010, 01:36 AM
couple things -

first, the logic behind the scaling of the x axis is that the y values should NOT change. all you are doing is restating the 2 bar map x values to the same value (psi) after scaling to 3 bar map. mptuner does that. the problem you are seeing, and i guess maybe my thought process is wrong, is that the phantom point value at the far right can not shift to the left like the other points since the phantom point ALWAYS has an x value of FF. so if x can't change, and y can't change, then the point doesn't move.

so, i need direction from you all - if instead of holding the last point y value constant, i adjust the y value also and keep the slope constant, even though all the other slopes have changed. and, as dcal shows, the y value can then go off the graph. my concern is what may happen in the actual code (rob????) if the calculated y value is invalid, i.e. too large. perhaps it may overflow and end up being some ridiculously low number.

i DO need to fix being able to access a point that is off the graph, so thanks for pointing that out. i ASSUMED that would not happen! the fix could be not to let any point go off the graph!?

anyhow - i'll wait for feedback before i change the program. btw, the next update of mptuner already allows you to edit that last y point value (sorry - you'll have to wait).

lastly, the 2.5cal does start up way above the graph for whatever reason, whether the table bytes are wrong or the scaling is wrong. to fix it EASILY, double click on the y value (24576) and change it to something like 36864. save the cal, reopen it, and it should now work. again, maybe rob can take a look to see what it should be.

one thing i do need to also reconsider is how to handle the comparison cals when the range values are different. currently the comparison graph is displayed as it would appear as if it was the main cal. it is not rescaled into the current main cal parameters. so, taking the example above (i.e. changing y to 36864), when you compare the 2.2 and 2.5 graphs, they will not line up well since the 2.2 uses a max y of 24576 and the 2.5 now uses 36864. so, the 2.5 graph will display "lower" than it really should. make sense? should i change this?

whew.

wowzer
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM
slept on it brian and i agree that the slope needs to be held constant. e.g. on the 2 bar, 14.7 psi may be around 20k (which would be the phantom point). mapping to 3 bar should result in 14.7 still being at 20k, which it now isn't since the phantom point can't shift left. so i'll fix that.

ShelGame
02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
couple things -

first, the logic behind the scaling of the x axis is that the y values should NOT change. all you are doing is restating the 2 bar map x values to the same value (psi) after scaling to 3 bar map. mptuner does that. the problem you are seeing, and i guess maybe my thought process is wrong, is that the phantom point value at the far right can not shift to the left like the other points since the phantom point ALWAYS has an x value of FF. so if x can't change, and y can't change, then the point doesn't move.

so, i need direction from you all - if instead of holding the last point y value constant, i adjust the y value also and keep the slope constant, even though all the other slopes have changed. and, as dcal shows, the y value can then go off the graph. my concern is what may happen in the actual code (rob????) if the calculated y value is invalid, i.e. too large. perhaps it may overflow and end up being some ridiculously low number.

i DO need to fix being able to access a point that is off the graph, so thanks for pointing that out. i ASSUMED that would not happen! the fix could be not to let any point go off the graph!?

anyhow - i'll wait for feedback before i change the program. btw, the next update of mptuner already allows you to edit that last y point value (sorry - you'll have to wait).

lastly, the 2.5cal does start up way above the graph for whatever reason, whether the table bytes are wrong or the scaling is wrong. to fix it EASILY, double click on the y value (24576) and change it to something like 36864. save the cal, reopen it, and it should now work. again, maybe rob can take a look to see what it should be.

one thing i do need to also reconsider is how to handle the comparison cals when the range values are different. currently the comparison graph is displayed as it would appear as if it was the main cal. it is not rescaled into the current main cal parameters. so, taking the example above (i.e. changing y to 36864), when you compare the 2.2 and 2.5 graphs, they will not line up well since the 2.2 uses a max y of 24576 and the 2.5 now uses 36864. so, the 2.5 graph will display "lower" than it really should. make sense? should i change this?

whew.

FWIW, the last point is a phantom. It doesn't really exsist. The ecu only looks at the last slope. If the Y return calculated from the slope is greater than 0xFFFF, it gets defaulted to 0xFFFF. So, it won't overflow and cause a very low PW, but you won't get a PW higher than 49152uSec either...

ShelGame
02-06-2010, 12:54 PM
slept on it brian and i agree that the slope needs to be held constant. e.g. on the 2 bar, 14.7 psi may be around 20k (which would be the phantom point). mapping to 3 bar should result in 14.7 still being at 20k, which it now isn't since the phantom point can't shift left. so i'll fix that.

Actually, the last slope needs to be scaled as well. If you keep it constant, the calcualted PW past the last point (not the phantom point) will be too low in a scaled table.

What you need to do is, hold the final slope constant. Then recalc the 'phantom point', then scale the phantom point, the recalc the final slope and phantom point. Becuase the 'phantom' point is held at a constant Y, it needs to be scaled twice.

Aries_Turbo
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
yeah the slope has to change as you are cramming in more data in the same amount of space. how actually to accomplish that, you and rob can figure it out. :)

BTW, i tried changing the y-axis limit and reopening it and it will let me view the table better. finally, an editor that actually changes the image of the graph based on the mins and maxxes!!!!! :) all the others just used the axis min and max as purely informational which was annoying!

FWIW, the last point is a phantom. It doesn't really exsist. The ecu only looks at the last slope. If the Y return calculated from the slope is greater than 0xFFFF, it gets defaulted to 0xFFFF. So, it won't overflow and cause a very low PW, but you won't get a PW higher than 49152uSec either...

is that the max for the LM and the SMEC? cause the smec were half (hex value wise) vs the LM.

it does look like i have alot of headroom from what the hex values are and FFFF with the LM.

that 49152 doesnt seem to be much of a limitation because when you want more power, you need larger injectors due to the duty cycle limitation so you are always scaling back the values (pusewidth) for the physical increase in fuel of a larger injector.

brian

wowzer
02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
rob - ya lost me. using the tlm10 full throttle bytes, show me how the phantom point/last slope should be calculated.

MopàrBCN
02-07-2010, 03:11 AM
I am actually having an issue opening MP Tuner in Windows7. I am positive that the first version I used was working fine. Now it starts, shows the icon but does not show a window. Anyone else having this issue and knows a fix?

Aries_Turbo
02-07-2010, 03:21 PM
i have an occasional problem when on my Tiny2003 (hacked, slimmed, os... super fast on older hardware) laptop and my regular XP box. ill open a cal, then go to open the same one again or sometimes a different cal and the program will just crash and disappear. i open it again and load a cal and all is well.... till i try to open another cal or the same one again. not a huge issue but something to note, none the less.

brian

wowzer
02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
if you can recreate the error i'd love to know. gotta be something stupid i'm sure!

gkcooper
02-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I am actually having an issue opening MP Tuner in Windows7. I am positive that the first version I used was working fine. Now it starts, shows the icon but does not show a window. Anyone else having this issue and knows a fix?

Try right-clicking and "Run as Administrator".

MopàrBCN
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi, did this but to no avail. I have reinstalled everything and installed it from scratch and now it works again. No idea what caused this....

MopàrBCN
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi figured another issue:

My scaling just went mad. I was pointed to this problem by another user here in Spain. I later figured you are using vb 6 so propably you are not working with globalization methods.

The problem arises when your region uses a "," as decimal separator instead of "." which is basically all of western europe as far as I can see.

I suppose you have methods where you add a "." manually to decimal numbers at some point. I would define a global variable for that and let the user chose how decimals are seperated (and save this in a local config file or have a section for it in the ini.

I just tried to fix the scaling results and it is impossible. Now I recompiled everything - reset my region settings to USA and it works....

MopàrBCN
02-07-2010, 08:42 PM
BTW: The same localization problem causes an error when you try to check the AFR check box!

MopàrBCN
02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Question: ConstantSparkAdvanceWhenSettingBasicTiming is set at 6º. Is this a scaling issue and really it is set to 12 or is this wanted like this?

wowzer
02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
BTW: The same localization problem causes an error when you try to check the AFR check box!

sorry - but i currently have no plans to support non U.S. standards. i did fix a couple things that may help you in the next release but alot of the display stuff is going to be whacky. i suppose you could try converting the templates to use the 14,7 format vs the U.S. 14.7 format. anyhow, i'll look at a more global version when i port it out of vb6.

(like you stated tho, it's really pretty easy to flip to the U.S. region temporarily)

one thing i suppose i could do is when the program loads, force the decimal and thousands regional settings to the U.S. settings using a couple api calls and change them back on exit. however, i believe this will affect all the other programs you start after that until mptuner exits again.

would this be a workable solution for you?

MopàrBCN
02-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Hi, THANKS for your offer!

But seriously I wouldn't do this if I were you, because doing API calls only creats potential for errors which at the end wouldn't honor the great work you are doing.

However, I can offer you doing the portwork to VB.NET (I am serious) and convert everything to be a globalized version, including a spanish/german UI. So feel free to get in touch if this is an option for you. I am not looking for any credit, just would like to help.

ShelGame
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Scaling the final slope of the 16-bit tables should be as easy as scaling the slope itself by the scaling factor (for Y-Axis scaling) or the inverse of the scaling factor (for x-axis scaling).

So, if you scale the X-axis by 2/3 (or 66.6%; going from 2-bar to 3-bar, for example), you'd scale the final slope by 1/0.666 (or 1.5, 150%).

If you scale the y-axis for injectors, for example by 78.5% going from 33pph to 42pph (+20's), then you'd also scale the slope by 78.5%.

Then; using the new slope, the new previous point, and the X value of 0xFF; you can re-calc and display the phantom point in it's correct position.

wowzer
02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
the latest version was posted yesterday that fixes the 16 bit table issue (i hope). there were a few other minor changes as well - check the version update file.

Aries_Turbo
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
new error

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20347&stc=1&d=1265922332

now i dunno if this will happen on my other pc but on this one running a hacked up version of server2003 it gives me this error when it worked fine before. i backdated to 1.0.7 and all is well again.

Brian

wowzer
02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
ya - this is going to be a problem for those who have already installed mptuner. this new version adds support for ramp tables and i used that microsoft control in the error message to do the display. couple options:

1)uninstall the old version and download the complete new version 1.0.8 and reinstall.
2)download mscomct2.ocx, copy it to the appropriate system dir (e.g. windows\system32 for xp) and register it (using regsvr32.exe for xp).

if you just want to do #2, here is the needed ocx file zipped up.

Aries_Turbo
02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
sweet. i did the #2 fix.

looks like the 16 bit table scale works well. as does changing the y axis value for the fuel tables and reopening the cal so the points arent off the page. :)

you rule! MPTuner is getting better and better. :)

brian

ShelGame
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
sweet. i did the #2 fix.

looks like the 16 bit table scale works well. as does changing the y axis value for the fuel tables and reopening the cal so the points arent off the page. :)

you rule! MPTuner is getting better and better. :)

brian

Hopefully, buy the end of the weekend, I can get the templates updated to the new ramp format. I think you'll like it. It helps make sense of the adaptive values and cell breakdown...

wowzer
02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
UPDATE - UPDATE - please downloaded the latest version of mptuner. i fixed a problem in the display of comparison tables for the ramp tables. even though you can't use the new ramp table format until rob updates the templates, this update will fix a potential problem. If you don't update to the new templates when they are released, then the old version will work. BUT WHY?

wowzer
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
another update - please download the latest version 1.0.9. it fixes a potential problem in map scaling for table types 3 and 4. not quite sure how this got messed up! sorry.

vprtech
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Wowzer, I just started looking at your software, I was wondering, have you considered adding emulator support, or if not, a auto-save option so that it could be used with Emutility ? Also, I'm planning on tuning a SMEC car here in the near future, is the datalogging at a point where I could give it a try ?

I just want to thank you for all the hard work you have put into MP Tuner, I'm looking forward to using it !

wowzer
02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
vprtech -

i ordered an ostrich setup today so i could do some testing to see what is all involved. if its relatively easy to support, i'll probably add a native ostrich interface. otherwise, it may be better to get tunerpro to support our table definitions and use that software since it already does all that from what i understand.

also, the next "real" version of mptuner is being ported to a newer language so i don't have alot of incentive to do a whole lot more development in its current state. so, if the ostrich interface is easy enough to do, i'll do it.

the mpscan software has been shelved to some degree since my van is buried under a couple feet of snow (!) and my testing platform has had some delays in getting set up. rob has used it a little, so it is available for beta testing if you really want to try it. i would suggest (demand) that it only be used with the high speed logger routine. the drb logging is a pain and i hate using it. pm me if you still want to try it and i'll give you the long list of potential issues/changes that still need to be done. also the waiver that needs to be signed ;-)

risen
02-18-2010, 06:49 PM
vprtech -

i ordered an ostrich setup today so i could do some testing to see what is all involved. if its relatively easy to support, i'll probably add a native ostrich interface. otherwise, it may be better to get tunerpro to support our table definitions and use that software since it already does all that from what i understand.

also, the next "real" version of mptuner is being ported to a newer language so i don't have alot of incentive to do a whole lot more development in its current state. so, if the ostrich interface is easy enough to do, i'll do it.

the mpscan software has been shelved to some degree since my van is buried under a couple feet of snow (!) and my testing platform has had some delays in getting set up. rob has used it a little, so it is available for beta testing if you really want to try it. i would suggest (demand) that it only be used with the high speed logger routine. the drb logging is a pain and i hate using it. pm me if you still want to try it and i'll give you the long list of potential issues/changes that still need to be done. also the waiver that needs to be signed ;-)

Have you looked at the spreadsheet I linked to in one of the other threads with the ostrich command set? It seems like it should be pretty easy to get the writes to the ostrich from inside the program down. It's definitely easier than the DRB logging routine :). I'll gladly lend a hand writing the code for the ostrich writes/updates if you want a hand there (in whatever language you choose). I'd really like to see the tracing functionality supported, so I'd be willing to work on that too.

Really the emutility binary that is provided for the ostrich will work in any case, but you have to hit save each time you want to update the emulator. Maybe a build/save binary hot-key would be a good compromise (if it doesn't already exist).

wowzer
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
risen - i have looked briefly at the spreadsheet and it does look straightforward. we'll see if practically it is!

i think after the dust settles a bit (at least for me) we need to look at a cooperative effort to get some of this stuff done. from what i've seen, there are many forum members much more versed and competent in programming than i am. i might be better as a manager of development (nice title huh!) then a programmer. my goal is to make sure that any software developed is ALWAYS available for future development and not dead-ended because the original developer moved on. having several individuals that can participate in the program development should be a positive i would think.

risen
02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
risen - i have looked briefly at the spreadsheet and it does look straightforward. we'll see if practically it is!

i think after the dust settles a bit (at least for me) we need to look at a cooperative effort to get some of this stuff done. from what i've seen, there are many forum members much more versed and competent in programming than i am. i might be better as a manager of development (nice title huh!) then a programmer. my goal is to make sure that any software developed is ALWAYS available for future development and not dead-ended because the original developer moved on. having several individuals that can participate in the program development should be a positive i would think.

Sounds good. Just LMK.

Aries_Turbo
02-18-2010, 08:42 PM
sounds awesome!

rob, the ramp editing stuff looks awesome! on the LM, the rpm and map breakpoint values are a little lower than the SMEC. any reason why?

Brian

ShelGame
02-18-2010, 09:57 PM
I have no idea why.

And, thank morris for the ramp editor, he made it work...

Aries_Turbo
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
oh ok cool. :)

im going to start using this ramp stuff to try to lean out my car just at cruise. :) see how well it works.

Brian

RoadWarrior222
02-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Subscribed, dunno how I missed this for so long. Will this barf on a 3.0 SMEC?

ShelGame
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I'd have to finish my dis-assembly and make a template out of it, but it should work on the 3.0 code as well. The MAP scaling would NOT work, however, due to the way the 1-bar map is coded in the 3.0. You can't simply scale it up for 2- or 3-bar...

bakes
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I'd have to finish my dis-assembly and make a template out of it, but it should work on the 3.0 code as well. The MAP scaling would NOT work, however, due to the way the 1-bar map is coded in the 3.0. You can't simply scale it up for 2- or 3-bar...

1 Bar :(

ShelGame
02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
1 Bar :(

You just want to tune a 1-bar cal? I'll see if I can set it up for MP Tuner...

zin
02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance (something I'm reminded of each time I read a DIY cal thread!:nod:), but would it be possible to "cut and paste" the map code from the turbo into the 3.0? I'm sure it would be a hack job, but would it work?

Mike

Aries_Turbo
02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
it would require alot of recoding and testing. none of which i can do. :)

Brian

ShelGame
02-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Forgive my ignorance (something I'm reminded of each time I read a DIY cal thread!:nod:), but would it be possible to "cut and paste" the map code from the turbo into the 3.0? I'm sure it would be a hack job, but would it work?

Mike

Well, the spark lookup code could be pasted in, and the starting fuel, transient fuel and modifiers could be pasted in. But, the stuff that works on the distributor interrupt would need to be a hybrid. It would need the turbo fuel lookups, but the timing, etc. specific to the 3 banks of injectors and 6 plugs to fire. It's not impossible, but it's not simple either. I'm going to look again tonight at it and at least start to make an MP Tuner template out of what I already have...

zin
02-19-2010, 10:35 PM
it would require alot of recoding and testing. none of which i can do. :)

Brian

Figures, never as simple as it "should be"....

Mike

bakes
02-19-2010, 11:11 PM
You just want to tune a 1-bar cal? I'll see if I can set it up for MP Tuner...

not really want 2bar + plus;) but cheating with a 1 bar might get me 7psi

ShelGame
02-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Wouldn't you know it - the V6 code uses a different format and lookup for the adaptive cells. Sometimes I think Chrysler was experimenting on code with production vehicles...

RoadWarrior222
02-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Crap, every time I start looking at 3.0 cals I end up thinking megasquirt.

Aries_Turbo
02-21-2010, 03:09 PM
ms works very well on 3.0L's. its a good viable option. for me, i like to stick with the stock ecu for the 4 bangers because of the factory knock detection and cyl to cyl timing retard. for a 3.0L you dont have any knock detection so going to a MS isnt that big of a deal.

brian

risen
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
1st off, nice work on the editor. It's a really sweet piece of s/w. Someone else may find this helpful, you need to download and run the installer before updating to the latest version of the .exe. It took me about 15 mintues to figure out why just the .exe would bomb because it was missing some ocx files.

Now, on to the issue I have, which could just be my trying to use the program in a funny way. What happened was this: I started editing a template and made a bunch of edits. After that I saved the template under a slightly different name as the cal, I appended a _name. So it used to be turbonatorxyz.v16 and I saved it as turbonatorxyz_name.v16. Then I closed and tried to re-open the template with the _name appended and it crashed out with a index out of range error. I renamed things (moved the original to _orig) and it was OK from there out but I was unable to compare with the previous template easily, which was my original goal. If I take the _name part was throwing it off?

I don't really need a fix, but maybe this should be pointed out for others who try the same thing. Thanks again for it, I'm going to have to mess with the ramp editor and all the other features in the new software.

wowzer
02-22-2010, 02:04 PM
...you need to download and run the installer before updating to the latest version of the .exe. It took me about 15 mintues to figure out why just the .exe would bomb because it was missing some ocx files.

Now, on to the issue I have, which could just be my trying to use the program in a funny way. What happened was this: I started editing a template and made a bunch of edits. After that I saved the template under a slightly different name as the cal, I appended a _name. So it used to be turbonatorxyz.v16 and I saved it as turbonatorxyz_name.v16. Then I closed and tried to re-open the template with the _name appended and it crashed out with a index out of range error. I renamed things (moved the original to _orig) and it was OK from there out but I was unable to compare with the previous template easily, which was my original goal. If I take the _name part was throwing it off?

I don't really need a fix, but maybe this should be pointed out for others who try the same thing. Thanks again for it, I'm going to have to mess with the ramp editor and all the other features in the new software.

see post 146 - the ramping required the use of the ms spinner control so that probably was your issue

i don't know what to tell you re: the crash. i just opening a cal (tsmec.v16) and saved it as tsmec_name.v16, tsmec.v16._name.v16, and a few other options and they all reopen! can you email me the template that bombs. i'll take a quick look.

risen
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
see post 146 - the ramping required the use of the ms spinner control so that probably was your issue

i don't know what to tell you re: the crash. i just opening a cal (tsmec.v16) and saved it as tsmec_name.v16, tsmec.v16._name.v16, and a few other options and they all reopen! can you email me the template that bombs. i'll take a quick look.

It was actually a fresh install. I didn't realize that I needed to do the original install from the zip and then update just the .exe. My bad, but I figured I'd let others learn from my mistake.

I'll see if I can reproduce the crash tonight so I can be 100% sure how to reproduce it. I'm pretty sure renaming the file allowed me to cause it and not cause it. This was on a win 7 VM, FWIW.

wowzer
02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
It was actually a fresh install. I didn't realize that I needed to do the original install from the zip and then update just the .exe. My bad, but I figured I'd let others learn from my mistake.

I'll see if I can reproduce the crash tonight so I can be 100% sure how to reproduce it. I'm pretty sure renaming the file allowed me to cause it and not cause it. This was on a win 7 VM, FWIW.

hmm - the full install should have the latest exe in it along with that ocx. i'll double check. i update the full install and the update exe at the same time when i post a newer version.

risen
02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
hmm - the full install should have the latest exe in it along with that ocx. i'll double check. i update the full install and the update exe at the same time when i post a newer version.

Oh, I thought that it was still the older version in the install. It's probably correct and I just ended up making more work for myself. It's probably OK, I'll check the .exe sizes later on, they're likely identical.

risen
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok, I can't reproduce it. I've tried a few times over and it works flawlessly. Maybe whatever compatibility mode win 7 decided to put the program in fixed it. If I can cause it again, I'll let you know.

And the .exe in the installer is the latest. I must've been having a rough night last night.

SH4DY
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello all, first post and just wanted to say I think the open source work you guys are doing is awesome. I work primarily with late model DCX's (tuning w/ CMR) and everything is so secretive it's rediculous.
We are getting a 87 Shelby Daytona in the shop and I'm looking at ways to tune the thing and saw the MPTuner software (along with CHEM).
I like the MPTuner interface better (visually more appealing/ larger which makes i easier to work in) but I keep getting the following error:
Run-time error '9': subscript out of range whenever I try to configure the COM port?
Downloaded the 1.1.0 version today.. any ideas?

I also had a question about the "Fuel Setup" AFRs... is that table strictly stating stoich AFRs or Target AFRs? Every file I've opened thus far has them all set to 14.7... ?

wowzer
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
what physical com ports does your computer have? try deleting the mptuner.ini file in the program\mp suite directory and restart the program so it recreates a new one. pm me with more info on what you find out.

the fueling setup is a "global" setting that is not stored with the individual cal (hmm - maybe it should be!?). anyhow, you need to setup your target afrs for each map setting for each of the 3 throttle tables. you can use copy/paste to speed things along (ctrl-c/ctrl-v) if you want.

**edit - what does everyone think about storing the fueling parameters in the cal? if you load a cal without the parameters set up, it uses a default of some sort, else it loads in that cals settings. should be fairly easy to add this if it makes sense to do.**

risen
02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I also had a question about the "Fuel Setup" AFRs... is that table strictly stating stoich AFRs or Target AFRs? Every file I've opened thus far has them all set to 14.7... ?

Just so I'm clear, are you considering the Target AFRs as in a MAF type system? If so, that doesn't really apply to these ecus. There isn't a load to afr relationship like there is in say a EEC-IV. Any AFR is calculated by mptuner for display purposes only.

**edit - what does everyone think about storing the fueling parameters in the cal? if you load a cal without the parameters set up, it uses a default of some sort, else it loads in that cals settings. should be fairly easy to add this if it makes sense to do.**
I think it's a good idea and my .02 is use 14.7 for the default but any time it's edited put a file matching the name of the template in the directory. Something like templatename_xyz.afr :).

ShelGame
02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Just so I'm clear, are you considering the Target AFRs as in a MAF type system? If so, that doesn't really apply to these ecus. There isn't a load to afr relationship like there is in say a EEC-IV. Any AFR is calculated by mptuner for display purposes only.

There is, actually, a MAP to AFR relationship. It's just not controlled directly. The PW calculation assumes a certain AFR. The AFR he's displaying is that 'target' AFR. It's the same calculations (essentially) as in CHeM2...

risen
02-24-2010, 06:32 PM
There is, actually, a MAP to AFR relationship. It's just not controlled directly. The PW calculation assumes a certain AFR. The AFR he's displaying is that 'target' AFR. It's the same calculations (essentially) as in CHeM2...

Right, but changing that target AFR in the window won't change the data in the cal. I should have made that more explicit. You still have to go in and line up the part/full throttle tables after you plot the line like in chem2, correct?

I think (and I'm reaching here, I know) based upon the experience listed in the post that he's used to a load x rpm = target AFR type lookup table most MAF setups have where adjusting the AFR value will have a direct impact on the amount of fuel calculated to be injected.

Aries_Turbo
02-24-2010, 08:09 PM
ohhhhhh i finally understand the AFR's thing. it shows where the mouse is on the screen.... not what expected afr you have the fueling line set to.

id rather it be a choice like the Ypt stuff. either track regardless of Y position or not.

Brian

wowzer
02-24-2010, 09:31 PM
ohhhhhh i finally understand the AFR's thing. it shows where the mouse is on the screen.... not what expected afr you have the fueling line set to.

id rather it be a choice like the Ypt stuff. either track regardless of Y position or not.

Brian

i could probably add that fairly easily. let me look at squeezing it in below the other one. couple other things i'll probably add is turning on/off the comparison cal scaling and adding/saving the afr fuel settings in the cal itself.

Aries_Turbo
02-24-2010, 09:58 PM
actually, i like the afr saving in the program. i dont want to have to mess with that in each cal every time. that would be a pain in the ---.

i tested out the scaling dealeo within the same cal family... in this case, t_SMEC. it is really sweet. :) but when comparing LM to SMEC with different fuel and stuff, being able to turn it off cant hurt. :)

thanks again!

Brian

wowzer
02-24-2010, 10:10 PM
ya - comparing to the lm is a mess. especially with the inverted rpm junk. i'll post an update as soon as i can.

1BADVAN
02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by wowzer View Post

Was this ever addressed? It looks like i have the error when i load the bin and the 3D graph comes up blank.

wowzer
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
the cal (or tbl file) has to be set up properly for the 3d stuff to display correctly. i don't believe the simon cal ever was. i assume when the 3d table displays all the headings are 0 but the data is there. i'll take a look at the "simon" tbl file and upload one with the proper formats.

1BADVAN
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
how bout the T3 stock cal can that be modified to work here?

wowzer
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
t3 cal - here is the simon t3 tbl file i used when i first worked on the 3d stuff. basically cleaned up the tbl file a bit, changed the table type 8 to table type 9, and set up the 3d tables (type 7) to work. i have a good disassembly but haven't taken the time to go through it to ID all the tables. this will give you a pretty good idea of how the 3d stuff works. i have done very little testing with the 3d stuff. sorry.

*** i could not upload a .tbl file directly! don't know why. so i appended the .txt on the end. obviously that will need to be deleted again***

1BADVAN
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
t3 cal - here is the simon t3 tbl file i used when i first worked on the 3d stuff. basically cleaned up the tbl file a bit, changed the table type 8 to table type 9, and set up the 3d tables (type 7) to work. i have a good disassembly but haven't taken the time to go through it to ID all the tables. this will give you a pretty good idea of how the 3d stuff works. i have done very little testing with the 3d stuff. sorry.

Looks Sweet! Thanks! now to figure out how it freaking works:confused:

So... How do you rotate the Graph? I can change it but can't figure out the rotate part

1BADVAN
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/3DGraph.jpg

So from what i can see is that this 3D stuff combines 2 tables into 1.
Like this one combines the Adaptive retard by RPM and the Adaptive retard by MAP.

Am I right on this assumption?

risen
02-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Basically, yes you're right. What would have been spread out over 2 (or more) 2d tables is represented by 1 3d table.

That screenshot is awesome. Mptuner never ceases to impress me.

wowzer
02-26-2010, 05:33 PM
So from what i can see is that this 3D stuff combines 2 tables into 1.
Like this one combines the Adaptive retard by RPM and the Adaptive retard by MAP.

Basically, in that screen shot you are looking at the AdaptiveRetardMinusMap3d table data that uses the ModifiedRPMLo and ModifiedRPMHi tables for the X axis values (properly scaled) and the ModifiedMapFor3dTiming table for the Y axis values.

To modify a graph point, click on the point and drag it up or down. To rotate the graph, hold down both mouse buttons and drag the mouse in the direction you want to rotate. for me, i quickly screw up the positioning of the graph that way. so to make it simpler, while holding both mouse buttons down, press the x, y, or z keys to rotate the graph only on that respective axis.

I have done NO real testing with this so use at your own risk for now!! if you do find a bug let me know and i'll fix it. i did fix a bug in 1.1.1 regarding certain types of unsigned 3d tables showing as being signed.

also, if you change the scaling of one of the underlying tables for the 3d table, it will not show up until the cal is saved and reloaded. i'll look at changing that to be more real time but it gets pretty complex very quickly.

(i did notice that the initial screen does not show the "units" that the grid is representing. i'll fix that in a later release. the 3d graph does show it)

---------

i have updated MPTuner to version 1.1.1. here are the main things i changed based on your input (Brian!!!)

1) can turn the comparison cal scaling off or on. NOTE-this only takes affect when the comparison cal is subsequently loaded. for example, you could turn the scaling on, load a 3 bar cal, turn the scaling off, and reload the same cal. these comparison cals would show up as two separate lines since one was scaled and the other wasn't. toggling the check box does NOT affect any comparison cals already loaded.

2) there are now 2 afr ratios that show up. the blue/upper one represents the afr based on the mouse position on the graphing area. the yellow/lower one represents the AFR ratio you entered in the fueling setup screen for each respective map psi.

3) the fueling info is saved with the cal template. so if your 40lb injector/3bar cal uses a richer afr ratio, it will now be saved in the respective template and reloaded each time you open that cal.

1BADVAN
02-27-2010, 01:02 AM
THanks a ton for your help on the 3D tables it seems to work great! Like you said it you be nice to one day track what the value of the cursor is on those, but first i guess we need to figure it out.

One question, is it correct that the map tables are scaled for -14.7 to 12.9? and not -14.7 to 14.7?

Anyways thanks again you and Rob should set up a "donate to help support the work fund" like you see on other freeware sites. If nothing else let your wives have the money to make them happy after all the time you spend doing this;)

ShelGame
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Actually, it's scaled from like -11.9 to 12.9 or something like that...

MopàrBCN
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
...Anyways thanks again you and Rob should set up a "donate to help support the work fund" like you see on other freeware sites. If nothing else let your wives have the money to make them happy after all the time you spend doing this;)

I totally agree on that one!

wowzer
02-27-2010, 09:06 PM
had an opportunity to play with the ostrich today. works really well. i will incorporate an option for those ostrich users to flash their cals from mptuner using the ostrich. it took me 1/2 sec to read my smec cal. also, will look at a bin monitoring feature that will run from mptuner and the ability to compile directly from the template versus having to save the cal, exit mptune and then compile.

ShelGame
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Does 1.1.1 have the updated dis-assembler you've been working on?

wowzer
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
i posted 1.1.2 today. been sitting on it a while hoping to have time to work on the disassembler but life is just too busy right now. btw, i disabled the disassembler some time back due to some potential issues so, if you have an old version with it not disabled use it at your own risk!!!

anyhow - the newest version fixes some minor but annoying bugs as well as added some ostrich 2.0 features (see MPTunerVer.txt file). The ostrich stuff is pretty simple. i need some feedback first in the direction to go with it before i invest too much time.

so, if you are an ostrich 2.0 user, once you set up the com port to use ftdi at 921600 baud the program will give you 2 extra table options if you load a BIN file as the main cal. First, if you select a table file, you can "watch" the table hits real time. Secondly, if you make edits to a table(s) you can immediately update that table(s) to the ostrich. These options can be selected by right clicking on the table name or selecting the table menu option. Lastly, you can read/write your bin with the flash module (it will automatically use the ostrich if the comm port is set up correctly).

i also changed the way i handle the help info by incorporating the standard windows html help programs and now use a .chm file instead of burying the info in the program. so, if anybody wants to create an amazing help file that would be great.

let me know any issues and ideas for ostrich stuff. (i do need to get the 3d table watch done).

risen
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
so, if you are an ostrich 2.0 user, once you set up the com port to use ftdi at 921600 baud the program will give you 2 extra table options if you load a BIN file as the main cal. First, if you select a table file, you can "watch" the table hits real time. Secondly, if you make edits to a table(s) you can immediately update that table(s) to the ostrich. These options can be selected by right clicking on the table name or selecting the table menu option. Lastly, you can read/write your bin with the flash module (it will automatically use the ostrich if the comm port is set up correctly).

Nice, I gotta get me an ostrich now. Is it using windowed updates for the tables? And are there any plans for tracing the actual code and/or highlighting the tables that are being used (or have been used in past 50 ms or something)?

vprtech
03-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Oh, great work , I can't wait to try this out. Do you think this is worth trying with a Ostrich 1.0, or do you have reason to believe it won't work?

i posted 1.1.2 today. been sitting on it a while hoping to have time to work on the disassembler but life is just too busy right now. btw, i disabled the disassembler some time back due to some potential issues so, if you have an old version with it not disabled use it at your own risk!!!

anyhow - the newest version fixes some minor but annoying bugs as well as added some ostrich 2.0 features (see MPTunerVer.txt file). The ostrich stuff is pretty simple. i need some feedback first in the direction to go with it before i invest too much time.

i also changed the way i handle the help info by incorporating the standard windows html help programs and now use a .chm file instead of burying the info in the program. so, if anybody wants to create an amazing help file that would be great.

let me know any issues and ideas for ostrich stuff. (i do need to get the 3d table watch done).

bakes
03-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't see why a Ostrich 1.0 wouldn't work . uses the same software as the 2.0.

risen
03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't see why a Ostrich 1.0 wouldn't work . uses the same software as the 2.0.

Depends on whether or not the 1.0 has the same tracing features as the 2.0 version. IDK the answer to that, but maybe there's a doc on Moates site that will explain the difference between the 2.

mcsvt
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Can't wait to use it with my ostrich, with the weather clearing up finally, I should be able to get my car to my house now. :thumb:

Stratman
03-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I have been trying to add groups to the tbl file while editing a BIN so I can tune faster and it doesn't save. Does this only work for editing V16 files?

ShelGame
03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Groups won't work with a .bin/.tbl combination. Group info is saved only in the template. There's no place to put it in the current .tbl file format.

wowzer
03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
i'll look at trying to bury it in the table description perhaps - let me think about it.

SH4DY
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
hey wowzer I can't pm you until I post more. Do you want me to send you a description of the com issue via another means or just post?

wowzer
03-26-2010, 04:56 PM
just post it up - others may have the same issue as you.

Stratman
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
i'll look at trying to bury it in the table description perhaps - let me think about it.

Thanks Wowzer. Is it possible I can do this manually to a tbl file?

wowzer
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
no - only the template files have the "coding (i.e. MPGROUP)" in them to support groups. i need to add some type of logic/code to be able to have group info in the tbl file. since the tbl file format is quite limited, the only logical place i could think of would be to put it in the existing table description field. i'll probably just preface the description field with something like [MPGROUP:group name]. i'll add it to the todo list for release 1.1.4.

cordes
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
It would appear as though the compile function does not allow for file names which are as long as the conventions used by Rob. Is there any way around that?

wowzer
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
can you give me the template you are using? and the length of the full path name to the template? i know the compiler i was using had some "quirks" but don't recall if that was one of them.

cordes
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
can you give me the template you are using? and the length of the full path name to the template? i know the compiler i was using had some "quirks" but don't recall if that was one of them.

I'm using TLM V10.2. It is in the folder "TLM V10.2 for MP tuner" an example of his file naming conventions is "T-LM_22_MTX_A171_T2.v10"

wowzer
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
i just downloaded both mptuner and the template and they compiled OK and loaded OK. if i recall correctly, the compiler only handles a filepath/name <+ 75 characters. it SHOULD give you a message when you try to compile if the total length exceeds that. what r u getting for messages?

cordes
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
i just downloaded both mptuner and the template and they compiled OK and loaded OK. if i recall correctly, the compiler only handles a filepath/name <+ 75 characters. it SHOULD give you a message when you try to compile if the total length exceeds that. what r u getting for messages?

That it is over 75 characters. IIRC it was 80.

Aries_Turbo
04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
yeah ive ran into that limitation too. ive had to move all of my files to a folder on the root of the drive so i can compile.

why the limitation in the first place?

Brian

wowzer
04-06-2010, 01:11 AM
don't know, the freeware compiler had that limit built in. i'll look at bumping it up. shouldn't be that hard. also, there is a newer version of the compiler out. i'll see if that limitation was changed.

wowzer
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
i found the problem in the freeware compiler, looks like a bug or maybe just an oversight. anyhow, i'll probably update the programs this week, which will include an updated compiler that allows up to 111 characters in the path vs 70ish. just have a couple things to test on mptuner before uploading.

1BADVAN
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I just checked the new update only for a second but the 3D tables look way nicer!!
was there anything else changed for T3/3D stuff that i can check out tomorrow?

wowzer
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
updated version posted today. main things are support for group names in the .tbl files, longer filename length in the compiler, and a new step table (rob will need to update the templates for this to take effect).

ShelGame
04-08-2010, 05:02 PM
What's the table type # for the step table again?

wowzer
04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
table type is 12

wowzer
04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
updated today - main issue was a bug in saving the table type 7 multiple times in one session.

ShelGame
06-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Morris - would it be possible to add a template compare function? I know you already have a binary comparison. But, it would be nice to highlight where 2 template files are different without having to look at each and every table/constant. Just a thought...

wowzer
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
r u just talking about the "bytes data" or also the table info, e.g. x min, x max, etc? do u have an idea of the format for the comparison?

ShelGame
06-02-2010, 03:54 PM
r u just talking about the "bytes data" or also the table info, e.g. x min, x max, etc? do u have an idea of the format for the comparison?

Hmm, hadn't thought that far ahead actually. I was originally thinking it would be nice to just compare the byte data. But, it would probably be useful to compare the table info as well. Otherwise, a table might have the exact same data in it, but look like different data due to the scaling factors.

ShelGame
06-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Morris - I have an issue with MP Tuner when flashing; it flashes OK, but when it's finished, it always ends with an error. MP Tuner bombs out and exits (without saving my coms changes, DOH!). I'm using my FTDI cable to flash @ 62500 baud. Flashes in about 6 seconds :thumb:

wowzer
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
rob - r u using the fast or slow flash, or doesn't it matter? i am using the ostrich so i don't have a working flash module at this time installed. i'll take a look to see what i can find.

ShelGame
06-04-2010, 09:17 AM
With this computer I use the 'slow' setting. It gives a mis-match error if I use the 'fast' setting. So, I don't know if it matters or not.

Come to think of it, when I have forgotten to check the 'slow' setting, I think it still bombs out after the mis-match error comes up...

wowzer
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
i sent u an email.

ShelGame
06-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I'll check it tonight...

firehawk618
06-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Ugh forgive me if I missed it in the previous 232 posts, but I downloaded MPTuner, and a stock 87 LM .bin file. How in the world do I open this in MPTuner? All I can get is a blank page...

Thanks.

firehawk618
06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Sheesh i'm retarded..why is it I can try for hours, not figure it out but the SECOND I post a question I figure it out on my own.

Disreguard my previous post. :)

wowzer
06-06-2010, 09:53 PM
glad u figured it out! i did try opening an 87 .bin file and discovered that mptuner does not like blank lines in the .tbl files! i'll post an update on monday to handle this. good u posted.

Stratman
07-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Wowzer,
Before I even attempt to screw up my emulator, will the flash option work on the xTronics Romulator as well?

Chris

wowzer
07-13-2010, 09:57 AM
don't know! if it uses the same commands it shouldn't. if u give me a link to the command set i'll take a look. don't know anything about the romulator - is it basically like the ostrich? if so, should be relatively easy to add a "Romulator" option in addition to the "Ostrich" option.

Stratman
07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
don't know! if it uses the same commands it shouldn't. if u give me a link to the command set i'll take a look. don't know anything about the romulator - is it basically like the ostrich? if so, should be relatively easy to add a "Romulator" option in addition to the "Ostrich" option.
Here is the link:http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Romulator
With the Ostrich enabled in MPTuner, will it flash 1 byte at a time while ROM is in use and vehicle is running? This is how I primarily use my ROMulator. The "Update ROM" function in xtronics software will flash only the changed bytes in the bin on the fly and "Auto Update ROM" function will continuously reload the bin file every second or so to update any changes made and also works on the fly.

wowzer
07-13-2010, 07:31 PM
(assumes an ostrich is hooked up)

in MPTuner the "Chip" menu option performs a bulk read/write of the ecu of 4k bytes per request, or 8 requests of 4096 bytes for a 32k bin. this is to be used when the vehicle is not running.

when you have a bin loaded and update a table, mptuner will send all of the table bytes for that table to the ostrich at one shot (up to 256 bytes per table at a time). according to the ostrich docs, this is supposedly non-disruptive; however, i have only tested it on a bench setup so can't confirm it.

the updates can be sent (based on a menu setting) immediately when the table is changed or as a group of all tables that have been changed.

Stratman
07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Does not connect to the romulator.

wowzer
07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
it shouldn't!!

1) mptuner connects at 921k using the ostrich, don't know what the romulator uses.
2) mptuner does a version check using native ostrich codes which are different then the romulator. if it gets an invalid response it won't connect.

to get it to work mptuner needs to be able to communicate at the correct baud rates and use the romulator codes.

***edit***
it looks like the romulator connects at 115k thru the serial port( do you have any better documentation that details the baud rates used?). did you set the com port to that speed and try it? i would think that worst case you should be able to run the romulator software that does the real time rom updates, set it to look at the bin you want, and then make your changes in mptuner and save it (or recompile it if you are working with a template). should work just like dcal would have. however, as stated above, the flash routines and real time updates built into mptuner most likely will not work with the romulator.

Stratman
07-15-2010, 01:58 AM
I tried different ways. In MPTuner I had the com port speed set to 115200 which left FTDI option unchecked. Then I just tried BAUD user and made sure my serial com1 port was set to xtronics specs. This from their site:

Access Time 100ns
Cable DB9 Pins used are 2, 3, 5.
Serial port setup Baud Rate - 115.2K Baud, 8 Bit, 1 Stop Bit, No Parity, No Hand Shake (End of command string is by time out from last byte received.) Works with our USB to Serial adapters
Power Power is taken from both the socket of the Rom you are emulating to and from the Serial port (TD pin3, CTS 4 , DTR 7) . Pin 24 provides power when emulating 2716/2732 and Pin 28 for 2764/27128/27256/27512. This is done automatically and does not require any changes.
The only other options which their software may set is:

Software needs to set to no flow control and set DTR RTS (active; high voltage). (info from the xtronics link in my previous post).

i would think that worst case you should be able to run the romulator software that does the real time rom updates, set it to look at the bin you want, and then make your changes in mptuner and save it (or recompile it if you are working with a template). should work just like dcal would have. however, as stated above, the flash routines and real time updates built into mptuner most likely will not work with the romulator.
I definitely run the Auto Update function, but the tune has to be changed, saved, click yes to overwrite,etc. There is sometimes only enough time at red light just make the adjustments to the tune.:) I've been thinking of the Ostrich. Do you guys have any quirks with the USB run Moates?

wowzer
07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
i need to delete the baud user option - it serves no real purpose!

the 115.2k baud rate is really a nonsense also at this point. probably should delete that also (sorry). flashing either requires using the drb protocol baud rates, the high speed rate of 9608, or the ostrich rate of 921k. and the real time update stuff only works with the ostrich.

let me look at adding a "test" rate for you and sending it to you. i'ld prefer standardizing on just the ostrich tho.

Stratman
07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
i need to delete the baud user option - it serves no real purpose!

the 115.2k baud rate is really a nonsense also at this point. probably should delete that also (sorry). flashing either requires using the drb protocol baud rates, the high speed rate of 9608, or the ostrich rate of 921k. and the real time update stuff only works with the ostrich.

let me look at adding a "test" rate for you and sending it to you. i'ld prefer standardizing on just the ostrich tho.

When I tune the DSMs with TunerPro R/T, I think there is only one option for an "Emulator" and it doesn't matter if it's Ostrich or Romulator as I will only choose the serial com port. I guess if the BAUD rate options work, it maybe possible to use both emulators. Time prevents me from looking for the Ostrich commands.

wowzer
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
if i remember correctly, i think tunerpro goes through a hardware detection routine when it first starts. i assume it is looking for the various emulators at that time. it would be relatively easy to look for both the ostrich and romulator in mptuner and then use the appropriate protocols to communicate. i'll look into it a bit further. since i don't have a romulator to test with you would need to be the GUINEA PIG.

(so where do i post the disclaimer of liability? ;-) )

Stratman
07-15-2010, 06:35 PM
i'll look into it a bit further. since i do have a romulator to test with you would need to be the GUINEA PIG.

(so where do i post the disclaimer of liability? ;-) )

:) Not worried about liability. I'm quite sure I will verify.

Stratman
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Does MPT only work on the Ostrich 2? Will it work with the original Ostrich?

wowzer
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
currently it should support any ostrich with firmware 10.12 or later which locks the baud rate to 921k. i believe, however, that only version 2 (firmware 20.00 or later) supports tracing. the earlier ostrich defaulted to 115.2k.

**edit**
i just took a quick look at the code and i did require it to look for firmware 20 (ostrich 2.0). it would be very easy to pick up the version 1.0 stuff but i wanted to stay on the newer version which supports tracing.

Stratman
07-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Its OK. I was just thinking of picking up an Ostrich to replace the Romulator, but I'm not sure how well the USB data transfer would work if I needed to add an USB extension so the cable can route all the way from the SMEC to my passenger seat. Has anyone had any USB driver issue or any other issues with the Ostrich 2?

AzShadow
07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
can you specify an offset or is it all automatically taken care of? working with an ostrich 2.0 btw