PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 Stalling in gear at slight throttle, ideas?

djtang
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Im pulling my hair out over this truck! I picked up a 94 1500 5.2L/4x4 auto from a friend of mine as a daily winter driver. Beside some minor fixes from sitting, shes got one problem that neither I (or my friend) can figure out. When warm the truck stalls at low speeds and slight throttle openings (imagine being behind some cars at a stop sign then moving up, she'd stall). Other than that the tranny shifts smooth and I dont seem to have the problem out of gear or when the truck is moving at higher speeds. I've replaced the map, iac, tps, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and cant seem to find any sort of vacuum leak... no CEL and no codes... Any ideas? The Daytona's heater core is bypassed and its getting COLD up here!

Turbodave
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
My 96 Ram had stalling issues with the IAC, but usually a good throttle body cleaning would cure them for a year or so. With the work you've done I'm guessing you've already cleaned the throttle body?

Also a common vacuum leak on the magnum engines is the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold. It allows the intake to pull in air/oil from the lifter valley.

djtang
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I have cleaned the TB, no dice. However I have not taken the plenum off so who knows if the gasket is bad, I'll be checking that when I get a chance! Also, using a bit of TD know how, I tried to reset the IAC. I noticed the engine speed was not constant when the IAC was disconnected and the vaccum lines installed, it would speed up and slow down between ~450-700 rpm about once every 2 seconds.

Turbodave
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm Is the TSB for testing the plenum gasket without pulling the intake off.

djtang
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up dave! Turns out there is a plenum gasket leak. Now comes the fun part of fixing it...

rampant150
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Before you dive into that check your egr. Just unplug the vacuum line going to your egr valve and plug it up with a screw and see if that fixes your problem. I had the same thing happen to my 93 with the 5.2 magnum and this is what fixed it.

djtang
12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Bad news. I fixed the plenum leak and the problem persists. I'll try the egr thing; but what exactly was the problem that it solved/bypassed?

djtang
12-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Plugging the vac line to the egr worked! I'm going to pick up another egr solenoid and see if thats where my problem is. thanks!