PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 6.7L CTD 2007.5 or newer Ram we can play with?

BadAssPerformance
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Anyone have a 6.7L CTD 2007.5 or newer Ram we can play with? Need to pull some info from the controller for a VGT project :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Bump... anyone?

glhs0426
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
We work on quite a few....what type of data do you need?

BadAssPerformance
12-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Some signals from the VGT controller...

89ShelbyGuy
12-09-2009, 08:03 AM
i have a 5.7 hemi ram you can put a turbo kit on if you'd like...:D

Oh....VGT.....oh...6.7 pssshhhhtt! nevermind then.....:p

440dart
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
you can use mine but iam in montana

fleckster
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
We have an '08 and a brand new '10 here at work JT. What data do you need pulled? I have the ability to scan the '08 with a Star Scan if that will help. We don't have the scanners updated to read the '10 and they are switching to the new Wi-Tech scanners now and we don't have one at the Plant. The '08 is scheduled to be taken out of service and sent to auction pretty soon though. If I can help you, let me know.

BadAssPerformance
02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
PM sent :thumb:

risen
02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure whether or not the Holsets are controlled the same way the garrets are or not but my brother has quite a bit of info on the garrets as he's a mechanic for the blue oval. The future plan for our omni is to strap a 6.0l vgt to it :) .

From my understanding of the garret turbos it's just a valve that either allows oil to close/open the veins. Should be a pretty simple PID controller setup with a PWM output to open/close the valve, for the garrets at least. Are the holsets the same sort of setup or do they have a stepper? If they're almost the same as the garretts, I could try and scope a 6.0l next time my brother has one in the shop (which is almost every day) if that's helpful.

I would be measuring the distance between the 2 rising (or falling) edges to figure out the PWM frequency, and maybe some sort of min/max duty cycle measurement. Anyways, I'm planning on building a controller for the garrett once we're ready for it but if someone is building one for the same sort of setup I'll gladly help. Drop me a PM if I can lend a hand.

Evilancer
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM
The Holset HE351ve is different from the 6.0l Ford's Garrett. Here is a short video of one without the turbine housing on it, demonstrating how the vanes work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9bi3hTaFUA

You don't even need electronics to make them work, you can do away with the electronic part. Here is a video of one being used on a 2nd gen 24valve Cummins. He fabricated a bracket and used a waste gate actuator to move the vanes, and used a small stepper motor to engage the exhaust brake. It's a really nice video and shows how well it works, even when he was driving the truck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHGbN67PIM

Jon

Ondonti
02-20-2010, 11:56 AM
i love the sound change when the a/r opens

risen
02-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow, thanks for that. It's definitely nothing like the garrett. It's actually much simpler than the garrett, and likely more reliable. The 6.0l turbos have a ring that rotates and opens and closes the vanes to force the gases around the turbine by varying the space (hard to explain without a pic). From what' I'm told the 6.0ls have lots of problems with the rotating assembly becoming caked with carbon and not turning freely.

Evilancer
02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
In '07, the last year of the 6.0l, it got a revised edition of the VGT Garrett to stop the soot buildup. A big reason this turbo gets gummed up with soot is because the truck never actually gets used for what its meant for and thats towing and working. We have a '06 at work and it tows at least once a month and we have had no problems with it at all.

When the 6.7 Cummins came out, they had a hell of a time with the HE351ve getting jammed with soot. Not because of the design of the turbo, the problem is when the truck goes into regen mode, it injects fuel on the exhaust stroke to bring the egt's up to 1100 degrees to burn off the soot in the DPF filter. This was bad news for the turbo, and alot of the time the ring would get caked with soot and wont move.

Jon

risen
02-21-2010, 12:19 PM
In '07, the last year of the 6.0l, it got a revised edition of the VGT Garrett to stop the soot buildup. A big reason this turbo gets gummed up with soot is because the truck never actually gets used for what its meant for and thats towing and working. We have a '06 at work and it tows at least once a month and we have had no problems with it at all.

When the 6.7 Cummins came out, they had a hell of a time with the HE351ve getting jammed with soot. Not because of the design of the turbo, the problem is when the truck goes into regen mode, it injects fuel on the exhaust stroke to bring the egt's up to 1100 degrees to burn off the soot in the DPF filter. This was bad news for the turbo, and alot of the time the ring would get caked with soot and wont move.

Jon
My brother has actually dissuaded multiple people from buying 6.0ls for that exact reason. If you're not going to work it the thing is going to be a nightmare. And if it's going to be idled a lot, you can just set some money aside for egr coolers.

I guess in the newer fords they don't use fuel to regen, there's some sort of special chemical. My bro was explaining all the special strategies in the ecu for the regen with the special chemical. It's getting to be worse than the early 80's cars were with air pumps and egr and everything.

Evilancer
02-21-2010, 12:33 PM
The 6.4 Powerstrokes still use the fuel injected on the exhaust stroke, but the new 2011 Superduty with the new 6.7 Powerstroke will use Urea injection.
When you open the fuel filler door on a 2011 Superduty, there is a filler neck for the diesel fuel, and a smaller filler neck for the Urea holding tank. I know the Urea holding tank doesnt hold much, but it is supposed to be good for about 7500 miles. Mercedes uses Urea injection on they're diesel powered cars.

Jon

Nemesismachine
10-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Urea, so if you run out you can pee in the tank?

Subliminal
10-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Bah!

It's a diesel...let it smoke! :)

http://images.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/0808dp_01_z+2002_dodge_ram_cummins+dragstrip.jpg

dds78910
10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
There was a article in Diesel Power Mag this month with the same swap. Putting a 6.7 Cummins turbo on a 24valve 5.9 Cummins. There is a company called Fleece performance that sells a stand alone computer to make it work and with the flip of a switch it can be a exhaust brake too. Pretty neat!

BadAssPerformance
10-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, my buddy is trying not to spend that $500 to control a VGT on his RB25 swapped 240SX... got a txt tonight, he has a stepper motor working now

risen
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, my buddy is trying not to spend that $500 to control a VGT on his RB25 swapped 240SX... got a txt tonight, he has a stepper motor working now

I take it he's using a cummins/holset vgt?

BadAssPerformance
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Yep..

zin
11-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Yep..

Any chance the Garret would work the same?

Mike

BadAssPerformance
11-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Garrett VGT? Which one? Which controller?

zin
11-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Garrett VGT? Which one? Which controller?

I'm not sure... it looks like this one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UD-HINO-turbo-/150522301263?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230bd40b4f

I can try to get some numbers off it, but as I recall it was made by some Japanese company...

Mike

BadAssPerformance
11-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Interesting...

zin
11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Interesting...

My plan was to replace it with an actuator from one of our VNTs... It looks like it should work, I'm just not in love with that method of vane control... But, it should work, so if I can't get something to work or if the box is dead, I'll just do that... On the up-side, the turbo itself is a GT (non-BB).

Mike